PDA

View Full Version : Houstonians..please help

jcrod
07-24-2007, 12:29 AM
Theres a good chance I'll be going to Houston for awhile for work. Couple of questions.

What area(s) should I stay away from, i'll be looking for an apartment and need to know where to start looking.

Are there parts of the city where there is a big Hispanic, Asian, African American or Caucasion population?

Any basketball leagues? I see that the city of Houston has one like here, but any Church leagues?

Any good local food?

I asked a fellow ST who I thought lived in Houston, but he has yet to reply to my PM. I visited Houston quite a bit and know my highways and how to get around, just not the neighborhoods.

Thanks for any help.

ploto
07-24-2007, 02:30 AM
Do you know where you will be working? That will help with apartment suggestions.
And yes there are definite parts of Houston to stay away from.

jcrod
07-24-2007, 05:33 PM
Do you know where you will be working? That will help with apartment suggestions.
And yes there are definite parts of Houston to stay away from.

I'll be visiting several client locations from time to time, so the area of town doesn't really matter. I was hoping for a middle area income, where the apts will be at a decent/cheap price but without the crime.

I'm keeping my house in SA, so i don't want to spend a lot at Hou.

Which areas should I stay away from.

Extra Stout
07-24-2007, 05:38 PM
I'll be visiting several client locations from time to time, so the area of town doesn't really matter. I was hoping for a middle area income, where the apts will be at a decent/cheap price but without the crime.

I'm keeping my house in SA, so i don't want to spend a lot at Hou.

Which areas should I stay away from.

If you want low housing costs, and not much crime, you'll want to live outside Beltway 8. Avoid the apartment complexes on the southwest side at least as far out as Sugar Land. Also avoid the Greenspoint area (Beltway & I-45 North).

Since Houston is roughly five times the size of San Antonio, your number of choices will be bewildering.

dougp
07-24-2007, 05:47 PM
You need to give what you want to spend monthly - we can go from there in recommending centralized areas.

bendmz
07-24-2007, 06:52 PM
Don't move to an area where you see any MEXICANS........... :lmao

Extra Stout
07-24-2007, 07:17 PM
Don't move to an area where you see any MEXICANS........... :lmao
If there is work going on in Houston, odds are Mexicans are doing it.