PDA

View Full Version : PSA for Smokers Trying to Quit

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 01:13 PM
Chantix (http://www.chantix.com/content/Chantix_Branded_Homepage.jsp?setShowOn=../content/Chantix_Branded_Homepage.jsp&setShowHighlightOn=../content/Chantix_Branded_Homepage.jsp&source=google&HBX_PK=s_chantix&HBX_OU=50&o=%25epid!|%25eaid!|%)

It's not a miracle drug, but it's been pretty amazing so far. It does what the patch, Nicorette gum and Zyban couldn't do ... by a long shot, and I've tried them all.

I found out about it by accident, read all I could find, and then went to talk to my doctor. He told me it's had an 80% success rate in the people he's prescribed it for.

So, if you're serious ... it's kind of pricy (although not more than Zyban) and my insurance didn't cover it (but did give me a discount)....it's better than anything I've ever tried. And I've smoked for over 20 years.

This also is supposed to work for alcoholism. :fro

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 01:17 PM
...also, the only side effects listed that I've personally experienced are non-stop, crazy ass dreams. And not the good kind either....so I've been pretty damn tired, but it's been worth it so far.

tsb2000
07-24-2007, 01:23 PM
SW, did you ever pick up that book I mentioned to you a while back?

You can do it!

If I can do it, anyone can, and I haven't had a smoke in over two years after a serious 2 pack a day, twelve year Camel habit. :)

BacktoBasics
07-24-2007, 01:26 PM
How much?

atxrocker
07-24-2007, 01:30 PM
...also, the only side effects listed that I've personally experienced are non-stop, crazy ass dreams. And not the good kind either....so I've been pretty damn tired, but it's been worth it so far.

thats actually a very common side-effect with these types of things. i got a friend who would fall asleep with a nicotine patch on and he said he had some of the wildest, craziest most tripped out dreams ever. i'll pass. and lol @ the only side effect.... sounds pretty fucked up to me.

peewee's lovechild
07-24-2007, 01:31 PM
This also is supposed to work for alcoholism. :fro

Thanks for the info.
I've been wanting to quit . . . . but, I don't want to give alcohol just yet.

Alcohol is my friend.
She treats me right.

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 01:31 PM
At first I forgot about it, then remembered some time during the playoffs when search was disabled ... then forgot again. :oops :lol

This stuff is amazing ... it's contains no nicotine, so if you smoke when you take it you won't OD on it, but it works by:

1.) it (permanently) attaches itself to the same reactors in your brain that release the dopamine that nicotine does ... so when you take a drag off of a cigarette, you don't get the same immediate rush.

2.) it makes cigarettes smell and taste like the nastiest shit imaginable, and since added to that you're not getting the rush from it ... eventually your brain starts going "WTF?" and you go longer and longer between cigarettes, until you completely stop altogether...which is where I'm at, and no wigging at all. :)

atxrocker
07-24-2007, 01:33 PM
2.) it makes cigarettes smell and taste like the nastiest shit imaginable,

funny... i always thought cigarettes did a good job of leaving that impression on their own.

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 01:33 PM
How much?

It's a 12 week program ... the first month was $114.99, the next 2 months are about $130.00...and my doctor said he'd extend the prescription if I need him to.

But considering a carton of cigarettes is hovering around $40.00, that's not too bad in the long run.

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 01:35 PM
funny... i always thought cigarettes did a good job of leaving that impression on their own.

Feel free to leave the thread if you don't have anything positive to contribute.

atxrocker
07-24-2007, 01:36 PM
Feel free to leave the thread if you don't have anything positive to contribute.

feel free to ignore my posts if you decide to ignore them based off of their legitimacy.

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 01:37 PM
and lol @ the only side effect.... sounds pretty fucked up to me.

Any worse than the proven effects of cigarettes? :lol

peewee's lovechild
07-24-2007, 01:37 PM
It's a 12 week program ... the first month was $114.99, the next 2 months are about $130.00...and my doctor said he'd extend the prescription if I need him to.

But considering a carton of cigarettes is hovering around $40.00, that's not to bad in the long run.

That's kinda pricey, but the cigs are getting kinda pricey too.

I'll have to think about it.

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 02:03 PM
feel free to ignore my posts if you decide to ignore them based off of their legitimacy.

That was not a legitimate statement if you are talking to people who smoke, which is who this thread was addressed to.

Anyway ... I just happened upon it by accident, so I thought I'd throw it out there for anyone who might want to check it out...because so far I've been able to quit with hardly any withdrawl symptoms, and it's getting easier every day. And I've smoked for over 20 years, so it's not like I haven't tried to quit 5646513216542131 times already.

tsb2000
07-24-2007, 02:12 PM
I think when I finally quit, I must have spent at least $1500 on patches, gum, Zyban, etc., all through the various times I tried to stop smoking.

Bigzax
07-24-2007, 02:15 PM
awesome sw! :tu

BacktoBasics
07-24-2007, 02:15 PM
About the side effect of crazy dreams.

Booze related rather than cig related. I'm a daily drinker and if I don't drink for some reason or another I have crazy violent nightmares. There have been times when I actually make it a point to drink 3 or 4 before bed just to get a good sound sleep. I'm willing to bet it has more to do with withdrawl vs the drug itself.

Dutch13
07-24-2007, 02:18 PM
Any word on if it will help with smokeless tobacco? (snuff)?

J.T.
07-24-2007, 02:19 PM
Mary Jane is my friend. She makes me feel good without slowly killing me.

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 02:23 PM
Any word on if it will help with smokeless tobacco? (snuff)?

It's possible, since it's still nicotine. It hijacks the receptors in your brain that make the nicotine (and alcohol) effective.

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 02:24 PM
Mary Jane is my friend. She makes me feel good without slowly killing me.

I'll never believe that putting any kind of smoke into your lungs isn't harmful. :lol

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 02:25 PM
About the side effect of crazy dreams.

Booze related rather than cig related. I'm a daily drinker and if I don't drink for some reason or another I have crazy violent nightmares. There have been times when I actually make it a point to drink 3 or 4 before bed just to get a good sound sleep. I'm willing to bet it has more to do with withdrawl vs the drug itself.

That might be a good indication that you should consider stopping ... that can't be good. :wow

dickface
07-24-2007, 02:28 PM

don't mind atxrocker, he's just lashing out now to compensate for all the ass rapings he received in prison.

cornbread
07-24-2007, 02:38 PM
You know what worked for me? The Bodies Exhibition. Seeing a real pair of smoker's lungs right in front of my face was enough to make me throw away my pack and never buy another.
http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/bodies.html

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 02:40 PM
You know what worked for me? The Bodies Exhibition. Seeing a real pair of smoker's lungs right in front of my face was enough to make me throw away my pack and never buy another.
http://www.bodiestheexhibition.com/bodies.html

Yeah, that's pretty gruesome. You'd think that'd be enough to make anyone quit. :fro

BacktoBasics
07-24-2007, 02:48 PM
That might be a good indication that you should consider stopping ... that can't be good. :wowI certainly won't argue with that. Its obviously not easy to stop what we enjoy and of course I justify it with that fact that I'm not a binge alkie or anything like that. I don't get drunk often and I don't drink and drive, I'm simply just a daily user. AA would eat me up with a line like that huh.

cornbread
07-24-2007, 02:51 PM
Yeah, that's pretty gruesome. You'd think that'd be enough to make anyone quit. :fro
It was very powerful. They had the pair of black lungs on display and a tall, clear box right next to them. The box had a sign that read something to effect of, "If you would like to quit smoking now, you can leave your pack in here," and there was literally around a hundred packs of cigarettes in the box.

Mixability
07-24-2007, 03:04 PM

:lmao

:tu

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 03:06 PM
Sorry, you and atxrocker will never beat out boutons for the biggest cunt in the forum title. Nice try, though.

Mixability
07-24-2007, 03:10 PM
Sorry, you and atxrocker will never beat out boutons for the biggest cunt in the forum title. Nice try, though.

you = me?

:dramaquee

fatsack
07-24-2007, 03:14 PM
for those serious about quitting, i wish you the best of luck.
i quit 7.5 years ago, and it's the best decision i ever made.

CubanMustGo
07-24-2007, 03:16 PM
I never picked up the habit but watched both parents and both siblings struggle time after time over decades before they finally were able to give it up. Good luck SW.

DarkReign
07-24-2007, 03:58 PM
Great find, SW.

Im a creating a shortcut to this thread. I am done with this habit...Michigan is banning smoking in publiv places before the end of this year. Might as well quit now.

Been smoking for 15 years (im 27) and know this shit is going to kill me early. Tried quitting last year for the 1st time in my life. Lasted 4 weeks, then right back to it.

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 04:05 PM
Seriously, best of luck to you. I don't know how well this will work for everyone, but I continue to be amazed at how much it's helping me, and it really is getting easier ... and my doctor said that all of his other patient's taking it (at least 80% of them :) ) have gone off the medication and remained smoke-free. You'll still have moments, but they are much easier to deal with.

There are risks taking any kind of medication, obviously, but I really can't think of much worse than what cigarettes definitely will do to you.

kingsfan
07-24-2007, 04:40 PM

But considering a carton of cigarettes is hovering around $40.00, that's not too bad in the long run.You pay $40 for a carton? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/speechless.gif They're only about $20 for me and I think that's high.
This drug sounds good, I may have to check it out. Thanks for the info.

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 04:47 PM
Marlboro's around here are $37.99 + tax a carton at the Valero & Exxon. :fro

Shelly
07-24-2007, 04:52 PM
Good luck to all those try to quit. As an ex-smoker myself, I know how hard it can be. Fortunaly, I'm one of the few that was able to quit cold turkey.

Trainwreck2100
07-24-2007, 04:52 PM
LMAO @ smokers

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 04:55 PM
I've been smoking for longer than it's been since the last time you were within touching distance of a naked vagina.

Anything else you'd like to contribute?

BacktoBasics
07-24-2007, 04:56 PM
I've got my smoking down to 2 in the morning on the ride to work. This might work for the wife though.

Melmart1
07-24-2007, 04:56 PM
LMAO @ smokers

Trainwreck2100
07-24-2007, 05:01 PM
I've been smoking for longer than it's been since the last time you were within touching distance of a naked vagina.

touche'

tsb2000
07-24-2007, 05:36 PM

Does that include him grabbing onto his momma to break the fall when he was born? :lmao

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 06:01 PM
Yep. :lol

J.T.
07-24-2007, 06:16 PM
I'll never believe that putting any kind of smoke into your lungs isn't harmful. :lol

Well, there are no incidents in the history of recreational pot use of someone dying from smoking too much weed. But a lot of career stoners including myself also smoke cigarettes so I guess it really doesn't matter.

DarkReign
07-24-2007, 06:18 PM
You pay $40 for a carton? http://spurstalk.com/forums/images/smilies/speechless.gif They're only about $20 for me and I think that's high.
This drug sounds good, I may have to check it out. Thanks for the info.

$44.99 a carton in Michigan.

Shaolin-Style
07-24-2007, 06:21 PM
My mom and step father in VA use chantrix(chantix? I've always called it chantrix, whatever)

I don't smoke myself but since they started taking that they haven't smoked once or cheated.

My brother took some of it too but smoked out of boredom, but he didn't have to smoke as much. So whatever that stuff does to you, it seems to work really well if you're serious about getting off cigs.

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 06:21 PM
Well, there are no incidents in the history of recreational pot use of someone dying from smoking too much weed.

I've heard 1,000,001 reasons from users of all ages how it can absolutely NEVER be criticized as being anything less than the most perfect gift from Mother Nature. I still don't believe putting any kind of smoke in your lungs can ever be a good idea. :lol

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 06:31 PM
My mom and step father in VA use chantrix(chantix? I've always called it chantrix, whatever)

I don't smoke myself but since they started taking that they haven't smoked once or cheated.

My brother took some of it too but smoked out of boredom, but he didn't have to smoke as much. So whatever that stuff does to you, it seems to work really well if you're serious about getting off cigs.

That's awesome! Good for them!

I'm glad to hear it's working. :)

tsb2000
07-24-2007, 06:44 PM
You'll find that quitting becomes easier as you get some time between you and your last smoke, but you won't even count the time anymore. You will know deep inside yourself that you want to be healthy. You will become a non-smoker, not an ex-smoker. It's a shift in your core values. That's when you know you're done with it forever. :)

peewee's lovechild
07-24-2007, 07:04 PM

I like you.
That was a good one.

Anyway, my problem is that I start out strong, giving it up for up to a month, but then I quickly fade away.

I just get real fidgity and all I can do is think about smoking another cigarette. I think about it even more if I'm under stress or going through something shitty.

SpursWoman
07-24-2007, 07:14 PM
I just quit smoking ... Chantix doesn't help the bitchiness go completely away. :flipoff :lol

It helps if you have supportive people around you ... and you definitely have to keep busy. I will be making some seriously complicated dinners this week, because the urge to smoke after I've gotten home & changed into more comfortable clothes is a pretty stong one. :lol

The last time I'd almost completely stopped for good my mom died ... so I ended starting right back up again. Now I have no parents or grandparents left and my life is going really well, so now is a good time for me to give it another (hopefully final) shot.

peewee's lovechild
07-24-2007, 07:18 PM
I just quit smoking ... Chantix doesn't help the bitchiness go completely away. :flipoff :lol

It helps if you have supportive people around you ... and you definitely have to keep busy. I will be making some seriously complicated dinners this week, because the urge to smoke after I've gotten home & changed into more comfortable clothes is a pretty stong one. :lol

The last time I'd almost completely stopped for good my mom died ... so I ended starting right back up again. Now I have no parents or grandparents left and my life is going really well, so now is a good time for me to give it another (hopefully final) shot.

Well, good luck . . . I hope you finally pull through.

I like the idea of Chantix, but it's a little expensive.
I might give it a try, though.

But, I'm also surrounded by smokers at work.
So, that doesn't help.

I'll probably try to seriously quit soon . . . I like the idea of being able to breath past the age of 40.

J.T.
07-25-2007, 12:08 PM
I've heard 1,000,001 reasons from users of all ages how it can absolutely NEVER be criticized as being anything less than the most perfect gift from Mother Nature. I still don't believe putting any kind of smoke in your lungs can ever be a good idea. :lol

I can see what you mean. Like the main dude's dad in "Knocked Up" said, "If it grows out of the ground, it's probably ok." :lol

But yeah I see where you're coming from, especially since we have both had cigarette habits (I still have one) and know the health risks of those.

I don't plan on being a career stoner longer than a few more years anyway. Eventually I'll need to get a secure job and can't afford the risk of getting high all the time.

One of my father's friends was a career stoner and 2 pack-a-day cigarette smoker and he sat me down for a "heart-to-heart" talk about how I need to get off both of them as soon as possible because he wasted his life and he can't run a lap around the track without getting exhausted... definitely don't want to have to take elevators all the time when I'm old because I can't make it up the stairs without fainting.