PDA

View Full Version : Current Spurs that played in the SL

SenorSpur
07-24-2007, 08:25 PM
I remember reading that prior to his rookie year, that TD participated in the Summer League. That led to my curious question as to whether either TP or Manu ever played in the SL?

timvp
07-24-2007, 08:42 PM
Tony Parker played in Rocky Mountain Revue and I think one game of the Shaw summer league (in Boston). He pretty much dominated. His first game out he had like 23 points and 5 assists, if I remember correctly.

Beno played in Rocky Mountain Revue. He was rather good until he got "hurt" and had to sit out the last couple games. Bonner played for the Raptors back in 2004 and I believe he averaged something like 11 points and 7 rebounds.

Elson played in summer league for the Nuggets for a bunch of years and was pretty awful. Vaughn played for the Jazz and didn't do anything spectacular.

Manu didn't play in summer league. Neither did Oberto. I don't know about Horry, Barry and Finley as that was before it was possible to get box scores for summer league games. There's a good chance those three didn't because for a time, summer league was for second rounders and other players who were trying to catch on with a team. Duncan opened the door for high draft picks to play in summer league. Before him, it was rare to see a top ten to fifteen pick play in summer league.

The player I don't know about but suspect did play in summer league is Bruce Bowen. I'm sure he played for someone's summer league team before he caught on in the NBA.

timvp
07-24-2007, 08:51 PM
Found Parker's stats: 18 points, 9 assists, 4 rebounds and 2 steals per game in Rocky Mountain Revue. And that was just a month after turning 19 :wow

I remember one game he tore up Seattle and after the game, the Sonics offered Gary Payton straight up for Tony Parker. And that was back when Payton was still good.

SenorSpur
07-24-2007, 08:53 PM
Found Parker's stats: 18 points, 9 assists, 4 rebounds and 2 steals per game in Rocky Mountain Revue. And that was just a month after turning 19 :wow

I remember one game he tore up Seattle and after the game, the Sonics offered Gary Payton straight up for Tony Parker. And that was back when Payton was still good.

Great stuff!

Thanks Timvp!

RC's Boss
07-24-2007, 11:59 PM

That was true, wasn't it? I thought I remeber something like that.

florige
07-25-2007, 08:18 AM

Really!? I didn't know that. I do remember that game though. I think that Parker really grew from that game because Payton was still a primetime defender like you stated.

BigBeezie
07-25-2007, 09:22 PM

I remember that actually. They kept talking about Parker on the radio show here. They mentioned that Parker was so youg that he had too much long term value in comparison to Payton.