PDA

View Full Version : Blazers open season with mostly familiar faces

ducks
10-03-2003, 02:02 PM
Blazers open season with mostly familiar faces
Associated Press

PORTLAND,Ore. (AP) _ The Portland Trail Blazers opened practice this fall with roughly the same personnel as last year's troublesome squad that took an early playoff exit.

``I'm surprised I'm still here,'' joked guard Jeff McInnis. ``The way the talk was, we were all gone.''

The players not returning this season were free agents Scottie Pippen and Antonio Daniels, and 38-year-old Arvydas Sabonis, who retired. Pippen, the Blazers unquestioned team leader, signed with Chicago, while Daniels is now with Seattle.

Most of the changes with the Trail Blazers in the offseason came in the front office, after former team president Bob Whitsitt resigned. New President Steve Patterson and new general manager John Nash made noise about changing on-court personnel, but in the end didn't swing any deals.

Trade talk centered mostly on Rasheed Wallace and Ruben Patterson, but a rumored deal that would have sent both players to New Jersey for Kenyon Martin and Dikembe Mutumbo never materialized.

Now, many Blazers expect Wallace to take Pippens' place as team leader.

``He needs to be our leader,'' McInnis said. ``He is one of the best power forwards in the league. He's respected by all the other power forwards in the league.''

But Wallace talked to the media Thursday to insist he has no plans to shed the hot-tempered demeanor that has landed him in trouble with the league. He served a seven-game suspension last year for threatening an official on the Rose Garden landing dock after a game.

``I'm me,'' Wallace said. ``I do what I do.''

Blazers coach Maurice Cheeks said that Wallace's good behavior was crucial aspect to having a successful season.

``He needs to be a little more professional, on and off the court,'' Cheeks said.

Small forward Ruben Patterson had asked to be traded in the offseason, citing tensions between him and Zach Randolph, after a scuffle in practice last season where Randolph punched Patterson, breaking his eye socket.

Patterson said Thursday that he had rescinded his trade demand, and that he wouldn't have trouble playing with Randolph.

``I'm not going to fault Zach,'' Patterson said. ``He's young. I'm not going to punish him or fight him.''

And Randolph said he didn't forsee any problems playing with Patterson.

``That's behind me. I'm just going to play basketball, that's all,'' Randolph said.

The only Blazer not to show up Thursday for practice was center Dale Davis. Portland opens up the preseason Tuesday night at home against Houston.wow I thoght they wanted to change image? (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=24273112)