dallaskd
07-25-2007, 05:56 PM
Has this not been posted???

--------

Mavs, forward agree to contract

01:11 PM CDT on Wednesday, July 25, 2007
By RICHARD DURRETT / The Dallas Morning News
[email protected]

The Mavericks and forward Brandon Bass, 22, have agreed in principle on a two-year deal, according to Bass' agent, Derek Lafayette.

The details of the contract, which is the Mavericks' first of the free-agent season, could be finalized as early as this week.

Bass, a 6-8, 240-pound power forward from LSU drafted 33rd overall in 2005, played two seasons with the New Orleans Hornets. He is playing on the Mavericks' summer-league team and averaged 14.8 points and 6.2 rebounds in four Las Vegas games and 10 points and five rebounds at the Rocky Mountain Revue in Salt Lake City.

"He's a young, athletic guy, and he's strong," Lafayette said. "He can bring a lot of energy to the table and bring some athleticism, along with his size. He's a good guy that can finish around the basket."

Bass played in 50 games (seven starts) in his two seasons with the Hornets. His minutes per game dropped from 9.2 in 2005-06 to 7.7 last season. He averaged two points and two rebounds in 21 games last season.

"He's works very hard on his game," said Lafayette, who said Bass was excited about playing for owner Mark Cuban and with so many great players. "He's an Avery Johnson type of player."

Bass left LSU after his sophomore season. He was named the Southeastern Conference's player of the year that season, averaging 17.3 points and 9.1 rebounds. He led the league, making 56.7 percent of his field goals.

The Mavericks aren't expected to use any of their mid-term exception on Bass, who will probably make the minimum, so they should have $5.3 million to spend on other free agents.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/basketball/mavs/stories/072507dnspomavssign.a9df9bfb.html

mardigan
07-25-2007, 05:58 PM
Good signing, he will provide much needed depth, and he looked like a monster in summer league

Mavs > Spurs
07-25-2007, 06:09 PM
Bass can bang down low as well. This could very well be the missing piece to the championship if Bass continues to be a low post threat. Holy shit with Barea and Pops added to the roster, this could be a special season.

dallaskd
07-25-2007, 06:12 PM
PG - Terry, Harris, Barea
SG - Stackhouse, Buckner, Ager
SF - Howard, George, Terry
PF - Nowitzki, Bass, Fazekas
C - Dampier, Diop, Mbenga

Where does Pops fit in???

mardigan
07-25-2007, 06:21 PM

Where does Pops fit in???
End of the line for Pops?
Now that the Mavs are set to sign power forward Brandon Bass off their summer league team, and draft pick Nick Fazekas figures to get a spot on the 15-man roster (he does, doesn't he?), is this the end of the line for the affable Pops Mensah-Bonsu?

If it is, it's too bad. He's a hard-working player and a really good guy too. But, this is a business about winning, not making friends. The Mavs really hoped Pops would be their man. He's been in the organization a full season, had a strong showing in the D-League and looked to be on the verge of sticking with the club when the summer started. His summer leaugue performances have been OK. I'm not sure the Mavs have been blown away by him as they hoped.

Bass, 22, showed a lot of poise and ability. He has a strong frame and could be a solid addition at the end of the bench, someone who can compete for minutes by being a hustler and throwing around some toughness and muscle.

The Mavs have until Aug. 31 to make a decision on Pops, either release him and let him find a new team or extend his contract for next season.

But, with Bass and point guard J.J. Barea looking like they'll both be on the roster come training camp, only two roster spots remain with Fazekas, Reyshawn Terry, the draft pick the Mavs traded for on draft night, and Pops all looking to make it. And there's still a chance the Mavs sign other veteran free agents.

So the window is definitely closing.

-- Jeff
From Star Telgram

dallaskd
07-25-2007, 06:24 PM
I still see a trade on the horizon somehow. I could see us dealing Buckner, Terry, or Mbenga. Chris Webber has a good chance he may sign too.

dallaskd
07-25-2007, 06:26 PM
Reyshawn may not even make the team. I just figured he would. Renaldas Seibutis has a shot at making the team, but I see him playing in Europe this season.

Findog
07-25-2007, 06:59 PM
This could very well be the missing piece to the championship if Bass continues to be a low post threat.

Bass played 7 mpg last year for the Hornets. He's got upside, but he's not going to get minutes next year. This is an end of the bench signing.

Dalhoop
07-25-2007, 08:16 PM

AJ has said that Harris will be the starting PG. That leaves a lot more questions then answers. Like who is the starting SG?

I think that it will be George as the Mavs will try to go with a bigger SG on the floor.

Harris - JJ Berea
George - Terry - Buckner
Howard - Stackhouse - Ager
Dirk - Bass - Faz
Dampier - Diop - Mbenga

Terry will fill in in PG and SG to get his minutes.

This roster still has one open slot. I don't think that Pop's will be with the team, Bass is a much more polished player. His signing removed Pop's from the equation.

Even without adding another player, Buckner is also all but usless in the line-up as we have enough bodys to cover the position.

R. Terry played lots on minutes during the summer, but he didn't show all that much ... Not enough to be on the big boy team this coming year. i see two signings and a Buck trade still to come.

confined
07-25-2007, 10:36 PM
I like the second line-up mentioned here...very nice scoring and defensive options off the bench

AJ has said that Harris will be the starting PG. That leaves a lot more questions then answers. Like who is the starting SG?

I think that it will be George as the Mavs will try to go with a bigger SG on the floor.

Harris - JJ Berea
George - Terry - Buckner
Howard - Stackhouse - Ager
Dirk - Bass - Faz
Dampier - Diop - Mbenga

Terry will fill in in PG and SG to get his minutes.

This roster still has one open slot. I don't think that Pop's will be with the team, Bass is a much more polished player. His signing removed Pop's from the equation.

Even without adding another player, Buckner is also all but usless in the line-up as we have enough bodys to cover the position.

R. Terry played lots on minutes during the summer, but he didn't show all that much ... Not enough to be on the big boy team this coming year. i see two signings and a Buck trade still to come.

monosylab1k
07-25-2007, 11:07 PM
:rolleyes

i could give a fuck what this asshole did in Summer League, he's not gonna be a big help to us in our immediate attempt to win a title.

the Mavericks have still done JACK SHIT to improve their team this summer. ZERO. NOTHING. NO IMPROVEMENTS WHATSOEVER. and that PISSES ME OFF.

fuck Brandon Bass, fuck Donnie Nelson, fuck Avery, fuck Cuban, fuck Donnie Nelson, fuck Dirk, fuck Devin Underacheving Motherfucker Harris, fuck Donnie Nelson, fuck Keith Van Fazekas, fuck Eric Montross, and fuck Donnie Nelson. This team is destined for another post-season meltdown unless they get a STRONG VETERAN PLAYER. GOD DAMN.

p.s. i'm drunk right now. :drunk

confined
07-26-2007, 10:26 AM
I say we should just give webber a try, that or eddie jones. I think I'd rather have jones tho

sandman
07-26-2007, 01:40 PM
he looked like a monster in summer league

His ability to throw up good stats in meaningless games seems to fit right in with the rest of Regular Season World Champions roster

dallaskd
07-26-2007, 02:04 PM
After a little R&R in Denver, I am back ready to blog although basically everything going on in the NBA is about Tim Donaghy and I am tired of hearing about it although it will affect the league greatly.

The biggest news for the Mavs is that they agreed to a contract with power forward Brandon Bass. As some of you may remember, he was the only invitee on the Mavs Summer League team in Vegas that impressed me when I watched them play a couple of their games.

According to his agent, it will be a two-year deal, but this leaves Dallas with some choices. The roster is quickly filling up and if they want Bass this much, someone like Pops Mensah-Bonsu could be on his way out. He should be signing for the league minimum meaning Dallas still has their mid-level exception ($5.3 million) and their bi-annual exception ($1.83 million) to use on other players if they want to sign any more free agents.

Dallas has until August 31 to decide to either cut or extend the contract of Pops Mensah-Bonsu.

The Mavs also have until next Wednesday to make the same decision with J.J. Barea although from the sounds of his agent, he will be in a Mavs’ uniform.

With Barea and Bass more than likely signed up, that leaves Nick Fazekas, Reshawn Terry, Pops Mensah-Bonsu, and anyone else out there in free agent land battling for the last two spots on the 15-man roster.

Posted by: Matt Benson on 07/26/2007 @ 3:30 AM CDT

mardigan
07-26-2007, 02:37 PM
His ability to throw up good stats in meaningless games seems to fit right in with the rest of Regular Season World Champions roster
Yea, but I actually watched a lot of those games, didnt just look at the box score. He looked like a decent NBA player playing against scrubs. He rebounds, blocks shots and gets to the line a lot.

But I guess you were just trying to take a shot at the Mavs instead of actually trying to talk about a player

sandman
07-26-2007, 02:50 PM
Yea, but I actually watched a lot of those games, didnt just look at the box score. He looked like a decent NBA player playing against scrubs. He rebounds, blocks shots and gets to the line a lot.

But I guess you were just trying to take a shot at the Mavs instead of actually trying to talk about a player

C'mon, you have to admit that the line about being the "missing piece to the Championship" was too good to pass up. I mean, we are discussing the Summer League play of a guy who has had two forgettable years with the Hornets.

dallaskd
07-26-2007, 02:56 PM
C'mon, you have to admit that the line about being the "missing piece to the Championship" was too good to pass up. I mean, we are discussing the Summer League play of a guy who has had two forgettable years with the Hornets.

Bass is a good player. He won SEC player of the year in his second year at LSU before he left early. He should be a rookie this season. Had he not left early and stayed until his senior season he may have been a top 15 pick.

sandman
07-26-2007, 03:51 PM
Bass is a good player. He won SEC player of the year in his second year at LSU before he left early. He should be a rookie this season. Had he not left early and stayed until his senior season he may have been a top 15 pick.

If by good you mean that he is young and still has a chance to prove his potential at the NBA level, then I can agree with that. But he has been in the league for two years and done nothing remarkable as of yet, so he has not proven that he is a good NBA player as of yet. I actually hope he does get some PT this year and show more than he did the last two years. I enjoy a good "worked hard for what I got" story, because those guys appreciate it more.

confined
07-26-2007, 08:02 PM
Looks like we signed Fazekas too...oh joyus day :wakeup

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Yup yup.

monosylab1k
07-26-2007, 09:13 PM
Does this mean that when Barea is signed, all 15 roster spots will be filled?

1. Dirk
2. Terry
3. Howard
4. Harris
5. Diop
6. Vagina #25
7. Stackhouse
8. Buckner
9. George
10. Ager
11. Van Fazekas
12. Barea
13. Mbenga
14. Bass
15. empty? or am i forgetting someone?

either way, this is FUCKING STUPID that we're wasting all these roster spots on shitty players that won't matter next season.

mardigan
07-26-2007, 10:10 PM
Barea is the shit, i would take that kid anyday

monosylab1k
07-26-2007, 10:30 PM
Barea is the shit, i would take that kid anyday

oh i'm definitely a Barea fan too. my problem is that I think we need more veteran leadership because our current veteran leadership crumbles and turns into vaginas. plus, I doubt Avery will play Barea much, because he'll insist on playing Terry at PG whenever Harris isn't in there.

confined
07-26-2007, 11:18 PM
oh i'm definitely a Barea fan too. my problem is that I think we need more veteran leadership because our current veteran leadership crumbles and turns into vaginas. plus, I doubt Avery will play Barea much, because he'll insist on playing Terry at PG whenever Harris isn't in there.
I'd want eddie jones to supply that leadership...plus he's still a half decent player...seems like a win-win situation to me...do it cuban before he goes to the rockets or something

dallaskd
07-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Does this mean that when Barea is signed, all 15 roster spots will be filled?

1. Dirk
2. Terry
3. Howard
4. Harris
5. Diop
6. Vagina #25
7. Stackhouse
8. Buckner
9. George
10. Ager
11. Van Fazekas
12. Barea
13. Mbenga
14. Bass
15. empty? or am i forgetting someone?

either way, this is FUCKING STUPID that we're wasting all these roster spots on shitty players that won't matter next season.

Reyshawn Terry, Pops, or a Free Agent will get the last spot.

dallaskd
07-27-2007, 12:37 PM
Bass will wear #33

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-27-2007, 02:00 PM
I say Pops gets the last spot.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-27-2007, 02:06 PM
I always lmao when mono refers to players as vaginas. :lol

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-29-2007, 07:46 PM
JJ Barea had 25 points in a win for Puerto Rico yesterday. I think against Cuba.

dallaskd
07-29-2007, 07:50 PM
I say Pops gets the last spot.

Id go with Webber. We would something like this

Harris, Terry/Barea
Terry, Stackhouse, Buckner, Ager
Howard, George/Stackhouse
Dirk, Webber, Fazekas, Bass
Diop, Dampier/Webber, Mbenga

StylisticS
07-29-2007, 11:07 PM
Id go with Webber.