PDA

View Full Version : Former Spurs: Where are they now?

Kori Ellis
07-25-2007, 09:46 PM
First up ... Ron Mercer.

Remember when the forum was split whether he was going to be a valuable contributor? Remember when timvp said he was going to get waived and was called an idiot by just about everyone?

In case you have wondered about the whereabouts of 31-year-old Mercer, who hasn't been in the league since 2005 ....

Ron Mercer surrenders after strip-club dispute
Associated Press

July 25, 2007 at 8:30 PM EDT

NASHVILLE, Tenn. — Former NBA player Ron Mercer surrendered to police on Wednesday to face a misdemeanor assault charge stemming from a scuffle in a strip club in April, police said.

Mercer, 31, is a Nashville native who was waived by the New Jersey Nets in 2005 after missing more than 60 games due to injury.

Police said Mercer's friend, 34-year-old Robert Edward Johnson, was also charged with felony aggravated assault for stabbing a bouncer at the club in the same incident.

The pair got into a verbal argument with a dancer at Anthony's Show Place on April 21 and were asked to leave by the security guard, Keith Battle.

A fight broke out among the three men and Johnson admitted to police that he stabbed the bouncer in the right side and shoulder with a knife. Battle was not seriously hurt.

Another bouncer, William Beels Jr., was punched in the face by Mercer, police said.

Mercer was released on $1,500 bond and Johnson was released on $5,000 bond. Both were scheduled to appear in court Aug. 13, records show.

Neither man could be reached for comment on Wednesday night. No listed number for Mercer or Johnson could be found in the Nashville area, where both men live. It was not immediately known if they had retained attorneys.

Mercer was an All-American and all-Southeastern Conference player at Kentucky, where he was a freshman on the 1996 NCAA championship team.

After being the sixth overall pick in the 1997 draft by the Boston Celtics, he was traded around the league before being hampered by injuries and cut by the Nets.

http://www.globesports.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20070725.wsptmercer25/GSStory/GlobeSportsBasketball/?page=rss&id=RTGAM.20070725.wsptmercer25

SenorSpur
07-25-2007, 09:54 PM
Since he's in Nashville, perhaps he can catch up with Pacman Jones (now that he has some free time). Together they can hit up a few more strip joints and "make it rain" all over again.

milkyway21
07-26-2007, 12:16 AM
So sad. 6th pick over-all. Once the leading scorer for the Bulls after MJ's era (for one season?), before he was traded to Orlando. Now he's only in the news because he's got into some problem with the law:oops.

I'm sometimes wonder where is NVE right now? The last time I saw him was when he was featured on MTV's Cribs.

Kindergarten Cop
07-26-2007, 12:29 AM
I'm sometimes wonder where is NVE right now? The last time I saw him was when he was featured on MTV's Cribs.

I guess you're blocking out the Mavs/Spurs 7 game series in '06. :depressed

The MTV Cribs episode with NVE originally aired back in December of '05. :)

milkyway21
07-26-2007, 02:40 AM
I guess you're blocking out the Mavs/Spurs 7 game series in '06. :depressed

The MTV Cribs episode with NVE originally aired back in December of '05. :)yeah you're right. I just did find out it was actually a replay of an old cribs feature of NVE. My bad. :lmao