PDA

View Full Version : Predict Next Year's Playoff Seeding

Stump
07-27-2007, 08:41 PM
With still three months to go before the 07-08 season starts, it feels like I'm going to die of anticipation. How do you think the playoff layout is going to look?

WESTERN CONFERENCE

1. Dallas- The Mavs come back mad as a hornet after last year's humiliation.
2. San Antonio- The reigning champs have another great year, but miss out on the top seed due to limiting minutes on the big three.
3. Utah- The young core continues to develop.
4. Phoenix- Failure to add depth comes back to haunt the Suns as injuries drag their record downward.
5. Houston- The Rockets look as good as they have since the mid-90s, but their third place divisional finish ensures a lowly seed.
6. Denver- With more time to become comfortable with each other's play styles (and fewer suspensions), the Nuggets improve, but not enough to pass up any of the western juggernauts.
7. New Orleans- The Hornets have been oh-so-close recently, and finally make the cut.
8. L.A. Lakers- With a crying Kobe, the Lakers still make the playoffs, but not by much.

EASTERN CONFERENCE

1. Detroit- Tried and true, the Pistons remain top dog.
2. Chicago- A young core gets even better, and the Bulls become the other team to beat in the east.
3. Miami- Injuries are not as devastating as last year, but this crew is still not the same as that of '06.
4. Toronto- The Raptors remain about the same as last year, and only slide back slightly in the seeding thanks to Miami's resurgence.
5. Cleveland- Chicago gets their revenge as the Cavs get raped by the divisional rule instead. This time, their playoff trek actually has some notable teams along the way.
6. New Jersey- A has-been team that isn't quite ready to try out the lottery again.
7. Orlando- Despite a need for a copy of 'Idiot's Guide to Finances', the Magic actually improve the position.
8. Atlanta- The final spot is the most difficult to select because it's going to be an eight team all out who-sucks-the-least battle royale to determine who else avoids the lottery in the east. My selection may or may not be influenced by my desire to screw Phoenix over even more, since they get Atlanta's pick.

mardigan
07-27-2007, 08:58 PM
1)Suns
2)Mavs
3)Spurs
4)Rockets
5)Nuggets
6)Jazz
7)Lakers
8)Hornets

1)Pistons
2)Bulls
3)Heat
4)Cavs
5)Nets
6)Raptors
7)Bucks
8)Wizards

The Grizz and the Bobcats are the two teams I think will almost make it, but fall a little short

monosylab1k
07-27-2007, 09:05 PM
WEST
1. San Antonio*
2. Phoenix*
3. Denver*
4. Houston
5. Dallas
6. LA Lakers
7. LA Clippers
8. Utah

San Antonio rules again, Phoenix has stayed even, Houston has possibly gotten huge upgrades, Dallas has been sitting with their thumb up their ass, and the Clippers are coming back.

EAST
1. Cleveland*
2. Chicago
3. Toronto*
4. Washington*
5. Detroit
6. Boston
7. Orlando
8. Atlanta

LeBron wins MVP, Detroit starts to slip, Atlanta begins their rise, and Miami doesn't make the playoffs cuz they fucking suck.

Incredibly early Finals prediction - San Antonio vs. Chicago, Dallas and Cleveland as alternates.

resistanze
07-27-2007, 09:10 PM
WEST
1. San Antonio
2. Dallas
3. Phoenix
4. Houston
5. Utah
6. LA Lakers
7. Denver
8. Golden State

EAST
1. Detroit
2. Chicago
3. New Jersey
4. Cleveland
5. Miami
6. Toronto
7. Washington
8. Atlanta

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-27-2007, 09:45 PM
1. Phoenix
2. San Antonio
3. Dallas
4. Utah
5. Houston
6. Denver
7. Golden State
8. Hornets

This year there is no one dominant team as DAL, PHO, and SAS are all separated by 1 1/2 games. Houston finally makes the second round. Hornets put it together as Cedric Simmons wins most improved player. Houston becomes the team that puts it together in the middle of the season after a horrendous first half.

Suns>Hornets in 5
Spurs>Warriors in 4
Mavs>Nuggets in 4
Rockets>Jazz in 6

Suns>Rockets in 6
Spurs>Mavs in 6

Spurs>Suns in 4

1. Chicago
2. Toronto
3. Cleveland
4. Detroit
5. Orlando
6. Washington
7. Atlanta
8. Boston

The eastern conference gets a change of scenery as Orlando, Atlanta, and Boston make the playoffs. Ray Allen and Paul Pierce manage to find a way to coexist. Raptors continue to rise. Pistons start to slip a little. Washington stays how they always have been. Hawks become the team that rises in the middle of the season after a horrendous first half. Shaq and Jason Williams get season ending injuries halfway through the season.

Bulls>Celtics in 5
Raptors>Hawks in 6.
Cavs>Wizards in 5.
Pistons>Magic in 7.

Bulls>Pistons in 5.
Raptors>Cavs in 7.

Bulls>Raptors in 7.

Spurs>Bulls in 5.

Spurs
Spurs
Bulls
Spurs

td4mvp21
07-27-2007, 09:46 PM
I honestly don't think we'll be the number 1 seed in the West for a while.

MtEverest
07-27-2007, 09:50 PM
West.
Mavs
Suns
Spurs
Nuggets
Rockets
Jazz
Blazers
Lakers

East.
Pistons
Bulls
Heat
Cavaliers
Wizards
Magic
Nets
raptors

SpursWillOwn
07-27-2007, 10:23 PM
West:
Mavs
Rockets
Spurs
Utah
Suns
Denver
Golden State
Lakers

East:
Bulls
Pistons
Raptors
Cavaliers
Nets
Wizards
76ers
Heat

justanotherspursfan
07-27-2007, 11:04 PM
West:
1. Phoenix
2. San Antonio
3. Denver
4. Dallas
5. Utah
6. Houston
7. Golden State
8. New Orleans

Phoenix doesn't go into the postseason any better than the Mavs or Spurs, but they put together a more consistent regular season. Denver finally puts together a full regular season, and makes it to the second round before their usual loss to the Spurs. The Mavs finally figure out how to prepare for the postseason without burning themselves out.

The Mavs they have the nastiest path to the converence finals -- through Utah and then Phoenix -- but they make it through to square off with the Spurs. It's another tight match, but this time, it's the Spurs that win it in 7.

East:
1. Chicago
2. Cleveland
3. Toronto
4. Miami
5. Detroit
6. Milwaukee
7. Jersey
8. Orlando

Detroit falls off a bit and Chicago and Cleveland get better as they gain experience. Toronto proves that they may be young, but they're not a fluke. Miami wins the 4 seed but loses the home court to Detroit. Milwaukee gels a little better and puts together a surprisingly decent playoff team.

Chicago finally gets past Detroit, and make it to the finals, but they don't have the team to beat the Spurs, who finally repeat.

Even with all their aging veterans, I think the Spurs still have enough left in the tank to go all the way again. If they don't, Dallas is the only team I see with the players and the experience to beat them.

Switchman
07-28-2007, 12:59 AM
West:
Mavs
Jazz
Suns
Nuggets
Spurs
Rockets
Warriors
Lakers

East:
Dunno.

dallaskd
07-28-2007, 01:14 PM
1)Mavs
2)Suns
3)Jazz
4)Spurs
5)Rockets
6)Nuggets
7)Lakers
8)Hornets

1)Pistons
2)Bulls
3)Raptors
4)Nets
5)Heat
6)Wizards
7)Bucks
8)76ers

himat
07-28-2007, 01:19 PM
1) Houston
2) San Antonio
3) Phoenix
4) Denver
5) Dallas
6) Utah
7) GS
8) Portland

1) Cleveland
2) Detroit
3) Toronto
4) Orlando
5) Chicago
6) Miami
7) Boston
8) Milwaukee

confined
07-28-2007, 02:57 PM
1) Houston
2) San Antonio
3) Phoenix
4) Denver
5) Dallas
6) Utah
7) GS
8) Portland

1) Cleveland
2) Detroit
3) Toronto
4) Orlando
5) Chicago
6) Miami
7) Boston
8) Milwaukee

no way dallas or utah get less than the 4th seed...putting the mavs at the 5 is just plain homerisim

justanotherspursfan
07-28-2007, 03:36 PM
no way dallas or utah get less than the 4th seed...putting the mavs at the 5 is just plain homerisim
If he's right in believing that Houston has a monster year and San Antonio is right behind them, Dallas could still have the 3rd best record in basketball and they'd be a 5 seed.

yavozerb
07-28-2007, 03:44 PM
1. Phoenix 1. Detroit
2. San Antonio 2. Miami
3. Dallas 3. Chicago
4. Denver 4. Toronto
5. Houston 5. Cleveland
6. Utah 6. Washington
7. New Orleans 7. New York
8. Golden State 8. New Jersey

J.T.
07-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Seeding obviously means jack as proven by the Spurs (and Mavs!) this year.

bdictjames
07-28-2007, 04:30 PM
1. Dallas (as usual)
2. Phoenix
3. San Antonio
4. Denver
5. Houston
6. Utah
7. New Orleans
8. Lakers

1. Chicago
2. Cleveland
3. Detroit
4. Washington
5. Orlando
6. Toronto
7. Miami
8. Boston (squeaking out Atlanta)

I'd really want Minny to go to the playoffs this year, just so Garnett would stop whining.

PaceMonster
07-28-2007, 07:56 PM
3 people so far think that the HEat wont make the playoffs next year.....thats fucking unbelievable

justanotherspursfan
07-28-2007, 08:02 PM
3 people so far think that the HEat wont make the playoffs next year.....thats fucking unbelievable
I think they'll make the playoffs, but every year that Shaq gets older, the team becomes less of a threat. At least, that's the way I see it.

PaceMonster
07-28-2007, 08:08 PM
they might not the threat they were 2 years ago but they sure as hell are a playoff quality team....i mean thinking teams like the bucks,wizards and hawks will make it over the Heat is ridiculous.....the hawks are in their division for christ sakes!!

justanotherspursfan
07-28-2007, 08:14 PM
they might not the threat they were 2 years ago but they sure as hell are a playoff quality team....i mean thinking teams like the bucks,wizards and hawks will make it over the Heat is ridiculous.....the hawks are in their division for christ sakes!!
Like I said, I don't see the Heat missing the playoffs this year, myself. The East is lousy enough that even if they fall off, they're still a playoff team, and a likely division winner. Still, it won't be all that surprising if one of these years Shaq hits the wall and the whole team just takes a huge dive in the standings.

As far as the Hawks go, they've been accumulating enough quality pieces that they look like they should be a legit team whenever they come together. Personally, I think they'll be like the Clips and their playoff run will be a couple of years after they seemingly have all the guys they need, but I can see how someone thinks they may make it this year.

SpursDynasty
07-28-2007, 08:47 PM
San Antonio usually doesn't care about getting the top seed. Dallas and Phoenix will play hard.

1. Dallas
2. Phoenix
3. San Antonio
4. Lakers
5. Jazz
6. Warriors
7. Rockets
8. Nuggets

Dallas and Phoenix will jump shoot their way to 60-65 wins, having superior records vs. the Eastern Conference while having identical or worse Western Conference records compared to SA. San Antonio will keep it at about 56-59 wins, use superior defense for another championship while the media and everyone else worships Dallas and Phoenix again. Then we'll talk about how SA "upset" Dallas or Phoenix and "played under the radar" all season, and how they need to get young and athletic again despite just having won the championship. It actually gets pretty funny the way everyone talks that kind of stuff up. I can't wait to see all these teams come out with this fake sense of "We have a real chance to beat the Spurs" next year, then they end up getting run over. The Nuggets in 2005 and 2007, the Suns in 2003 and 2007, the Sonics in 2005, and the Kings in 2006 are all currently on that list.

Dallas or Phoenix are the favorites for the championship, right?

Go Spurs.

Oh, and I didn't include Seattle or Portland in the seedings yet because I don't know if Greg Oden and Kevin Durant will turn out to be overhyped fluke top draft picks in the way that Yao Ming, Dwight Howard, and LeBron James were....

The East is wide open. Please Detroit or Miami, come back to the Finals. Don't make us watch LeBron again, ever.

BUMP
07-28-2007, 09:18 PM
overhyped fluke top draft picks in the way that Yao Ming, Dwight Howard, and LeBron James were....

:lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol

1. Suns
2. San Antonio
3. Dallas
4. Denver
5. Houston (has better record than Denver tho)
6. Portland
7. Utah
8. Golden State

quick summary:

SA wins the division again as Dallas chooses not to go all out in the reg. season

yes, Suns and Golden State set up as a first round matchup. :drool:

Houston has a big chance to get to the WCF's. they played SA tough in the regular season and played Dallas tough in the playoffs before

Suns get to avoid SA and Dallas for awhile.

1. Cavaliers (they are going to keep getting better)
2. Miami
3. Bulls
4. Toronto
5. Pistons
6. New Jersey
7. Wizards
8. Celtics

quick summary:

:sleep

Vinnie_Johnson
07-28-2007, 09:36 PM
The heat will not make the playoffs next year sorry heat fan.

Spursfury
07-28-2007, 09:51 PM
West

1. San Antonio
2. Dallas
3. Phoenix
4. Houston
5. Utah
6. Golden State
7. Denver
8. Los Angeles Lakers

East

1. Cleveland
2. Detroit
3. Chicago
4. Miami
5. New Jersey
6. Toronto
7. Orlando
8. New York

itzsoweezee
07-28-2007, 11:17 PM
best records in the west

1. suns
2. rockets
3. spurs
4. mavs
5. utah
6. denver
7. clippers
8. lakers

Darkwaters
07-28-2007, 11:30 PM
West
1) Suns
2) Mavs
3) Spurs
4) Jazz
5) Rockets
6) Hornets*
7) Nuggets
8) Lakers

*This is as low as I think the Hornets will go. I could easily see them overtake the Jazz and Rockets to take the 4 seed.

East
1) Bulls
2) Pistons
3) Raptors
4) Cavs
5) Magic
6) Nets
7) Heat
8) Wizards

Flo-Rida
07-28-2007, 11:59 PM
The heat will not make the playoffs next year sorry heat fan.
U have just earned the dumbass of the year

Darkwaters
07-29-2007, 12:09 AM

The east is way to weak for the Heat to not make the dance. But they won't do anything once they get there. Smush Parker is in no way the answer.

stretch
07-29-2007, 12:31 AM
1. Dallas (as usual)

this shows your lack of knowledge, as Dallas has never been a #1 seed until last year.

The_Game
07-29-2007, 09:35 AM
A team with Pierce, Allen, Jefferson won't make the playoffs? doubt that very much. The Spurs will do what they normally do and coast through the first half of the season then turn it on late.

EastsBeasts
07-29-2007, 10:19 AM
After the first half of the season Tony finds out that Eva has been cheating on him with Bonner the ginger and your beloved Pop. The Spurs team chemistry will go to hell, inevitably leading to their demise and falling just short of making the playoffs. After an investigation it is found that Eva was betting on Spurs games among her Desperate Housewives cast and proclaims she was only dating Parker because she read Stern's script and wanted to be in the Spurs championship parades.

monosylab1k
07-29-2007, 10:10 PM
i think the mavs could very easily be the 5 seed or worse....there's just no telling how this team is going to bounce back from 2 straight years of playoff heartbreak (especially considering the huge amount of fan criticism these guys took this year, something they haven't had much of). I'd hope that they're mentally strong enough to put it behind them, but you just can't tell with these guys. They very well could be mentally damaged beyond repair.

monosylab1k
07-29-2007, 10:11 PM
whatever, POZ. the heat suck dick and unless shaq gets on the same diet program that he's got those fat ass kids on, that team isn't going anywhere.

justanotherspursfan
07-29-2007, 11:14 PM
i think the mavs could very easily be the 5 seed or worse....there's just no telling how this team is going to bounce back from 2 straight years of playoff heartbreak (especially considering the huge amount of fan criticism these guys took this year, something they haven't had much of). I'd hope that they're mentally strong enough to put it behind them, but you just can't tell with these guys. They very well could be mentally damaged beyond repair.
I don't think the Mavs are damaged beyond repair, but after what it netted them last year, it's hard to believe they'll be throwing 100% into the games into the games before the All-Star break. I think they'll be a 3-5 seed, but a mightily dangerous one.

Spurs16212
07-29-2007, 11:25 PM
As far as playoff seedings are concerned.....

Western Conference:

1. San Antonio Spurs
2. Phoenix Suns
3. Dallas Mavericks
4. Denver Nuggets
5. Houston Rockets (Home Court over Denver)
6. Los Angeles Lakers
7. Los Angeles Clippers
8. Portland Trailblazers (If chemistry works out)

Eastern Conference:

1. Cleveland Cavaliers
2. Miami Heat
3. Chicago Bulls
4. New Jersey Nets
5. Detroit Pistons (Home Court over New Jersey)
6. Orlando Magic
7. Toronto Raptors
8. Milwaukee Bucks

Might see a San Antonio vs. Miami finals this season..... with San Antonio winning in six games.......

Findog
07-30-2007, 08:13 AM
Western Conference:

Top Three: SAS, Dal, Phx, don't know which order but they will get the top three seeds
Four Seed Division Winner: Uta
Fifth Seed and HCA against Uta: Hou
Six Seed: Den

Port, LAL, GS, NOK will play musical chairs for the last two playoff spots.

Sac, Mem and LAC could contend for a lower playoff spot if one of the teams above slips.

Sea and Minn are lottery-bound

Eastern Conference:

Chi and Cle will have the two best records
Bos and Wash will win their divisions
Det will get the fifth seed and HCA in the first round against Tor/Wash

Tor, Orl, Mia and NJ will play musical chairs for the last three playoff spots

NY, Cha and Mil could contend for a lower playoff spot if one of the teams above slips.

Ind, Atl and Phi are lottery-bound

mardigan
07-30-2007, 04:44 PM
I change my East predictions
1)Pistons
2)Celtics
3)Heat
4)Bulls
5)Cavs
6)Nets
7)Raptors
8)Bucks

resistanze
07-30-2007, 04:51 PM
:lol me too.
EAST
1. Detroit
2. Chicago
3. Boston
4. Cleveland
5. Miami
6. New Jersey
7. Toronto
8. Washington

justanotherspursfan
07-30-2007, 04:59 PM
East:
1. Chicago
2. Boston
3. Cleveland
4. Miami
5. Toronto
6. Detroit
7. Milwaukee
8. Jersey

TheNextGen
07-30-2007, 05:11 PM
Smuch will carry Shaq to the Finals.

shelshor
07-31-2007, 11:43 AM
West

1. Phoenix
2. Dallas
3. San Antonio
4. Utah
5. Denver
6. Houston
7. New Orleans
8. Portland

East

1. Chicago
2. Boston
3. Cleveland
4. Orlando
5. Detroit
6. Toronto
7. Milwaukee
8. Washington

TheZackAttack!
07-31-2007, 12:08 PM
1.Dallas
2.San Antonio
3. Houston
4. Jazz
5. Nuggets
6. Suns
7. Golden State
8. Lakers

td4mvp21
07-31-2007, 04:53 PM
East:
1. Celtics
2. Bulls
3. Cavs
4. Heat
5. Pistons
6. Raptors
7. Magic
8. Knicks

I think all of these have the capability to be pretty decent teams. I think we'll see a much better Eastern Conference this year.

West:
1. Suns
2. Spurs
3. Mavs
4. Nuggets
5. Rockets
6. Utah
7. Lakers
8. Portland (What the hell...)

Same old teams, with the exception of Portland.