PDA

View Full Version : Cowboys: Conversation with Bruce Bowen

Solid D
07-27-2007, 11:57 PM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA072807.Cowboys.Pop.Culture.en.330c4f6.html

Web Posted: 07/27/2007 11:43 PM CDT

Lorne Chan
Express-News

Spurs forward Bruce Bowen has been a lifelong Cowboys fan, citing Tony Dorsett and Drew Pearson as two of his favorite players.
Bowen, who also attended the 2003 training camp in San Antonio, lived out a fan's dream before Friday's practice, when coach Wade Phillips asked him to give the team a pep talk.

"I saw an opportunity there," Phillips said. "He doesn't know me, but I admire the way he plays, especially as a defensive player."

What did you say to the team? I gave them a little encouragement, and said how important it is for them to perform well since I'm a big-time Cowboys fan.

Your Cowboys or Tim Duncan's Chicago Bears? My Cowboys, man. Of course.

What's your opinion on the Tim Donaghy betting scandal? What's going on in my mind is all the relationships that have been broken with that whole issue. In this game we judge people so much as far as the ability of an official, and sometimes we forget that they're human.

On the human side you make errors, and it's important for us to try to understand that yes this is a great error that (Donaghy's) made, but it's also time to get things back to the way they used to be. When an official makes a bad call this year, don't get on him — for all the fans.

How much of a hit is the NBA going to take? It's going to take a hit because of all the things going on in sports right now. With that being said, it's about the healing process. ... We have to welcome this season, welcome the officials and not give them such a hard time when they come back.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

SenorSpur
07-28-2007, 12:38 AM
Despite the on-court wrath from opposing fans and his reputation as a defensive villian among players, Bowen is a class-act off the court.

Switchman
07-28-2007, 12:48 AM
It seems like Bowen has really stepped up this season as one of the main faces of the Spurs towards the public.

Very cool.

Mister Sinister
07-28-2007, 01:04 AM
Despite the on-court wrath from opposing fans and his reputation as a defensive villian among players, Bowen is a class-act off the court.
And I love how the media and everyone outside our fanbase totally ignores his class-act-ery.

Switchman
07-28-2007, 01:05 AM
We need to come to the realization that it will be like this for the remainder of the Duncan era.

Even if we repeat next year, they will have something to bash us about.

At least half the country doesn't jump on the Spurs bandwagon when we win haha.

Mister Sinister
07-28-2007, 01:07 AM
Yeah, that's true. God, I love being a Spurs fan in Chicago. I bathe in all the taunts I get for it.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-28-2007, 01:13 AM
Your Cowboys or Tim Duncan's Chicago Bears? My Cowboys, man. Of course.

Reminds me of what happened during a Spurs game right after the Super Bowl. Duncan airmailed a pass to Bowen and put it in the third row. As they were going up the court Bowen said something like, "Nice one, Rex." :lol

Solid D
07-28-2007, 01:17 AM
Coach Phillips said in his press conference about Bruce:

"He plays a great..a really important part of a world championship team. I asked him if he wouldn't mind just talking to our team a little bit about that. And that's exactly what he said to the team was...not everybody can do everything, but what you can do, if you can do it really well, you can do your part. You know, whether it's Tim Duncan doing his part or Bruce Bowen doing his part. It takes all those people to do that...I saw an opportunity for him to say something to our football team and I thought he did a good job with it. I think our guys...you know they recognize, certainly the guy you know, they all knew who he was and what kind of a player he was and that he was a part of a championship team. I wanted to try to get that over to the team. I thought he did a good job talking to them."

BeerIsGood!
07-28-2007, 06:08 AM
I guess we can see the Cowboy's breaking a few ankles this season :spin

Seriously though, Bowen has become my favorite Spur. He's a Cowboy through and through, and he's cool enough to go to training camp and give a speech. Hopefully they take it to heart.

SenorSpur
07-28-2007, 08:37 AM
A quick tidbit from the local ESPN affiliate here in Dallas regarding Bowen's surprise visit and conversation with the Cowboys. One of the hosts actually uttered this statement to his on-air co-host on Friday evening:

"Maybe Bowen can teach Cowboy cornerbacks his technique on how to slide their feet underneath unsuspecting receivers while they're in the air"

The other host took it a step further and compared Bowen's visit to having Mussolini (Italian Dictator) attend Cowboys training camp. He asked the question "if Mussolini was a Cowboys fan, would you still have him come speak to the team?"

WTF? These local Mavs nut-riders do admit their jealousy of the Spurs, but to put Bowen in the same category as a fascist dictator who commited a countless series of war crimes and was an ally to Hitler? That's a bit over the top - even for these jock-sniffing bastards.

For the record, one of those talk show hosts was actually the Mavs local TV play-by-play announcer. The other on hosts their pre and post game radio show. Knid of a Jeff Vexler-type.

SenorSpur
07-28-2007, 08:39 AM
Coach Phillips said in his press conference about Bruce:

"He plays a great..a really important part of a world championship team. I asked him if he wouldn't mind just talking to our team a little bit about that. And that's exactly what he said to the team was...not everybody can do everything, but what you can do, if you can do it really well, you can do your part. You know, whether it's Tim Duncan doing his part or Bruce Bowen doing his part. It takes all those people to do that...I saw an opportunity for him to say something to our football team and I thought he did a good job with it. I think our guys...you know they recognize, certainly the guy you know, they all knew who he was and what kind of a player he was and that he was a part of a championship team. I wanted to try to get that over to the team. I thought he did a good job talking to them."

Good stuff Solid D!

I love how Bowen has become the "unofficial" team spokesman. Who can forget the masterful job he did at the championship celebration at the Alamodome.

samikeyp
07-28-2007, 09:24 AM
WTF? These local Mavs nut-riders do admit their jealousy of the Spurs, but to put Bowen in the same category as a fascist dictator who commited a countless series of war crimes and was an ally to Hitler? That's a bit over the top - even for these jock-sniffing bastards.

For the record, one of those talk show hosts was actually the Mavs local TV play-by-play announcer. The other on hosts their pre and post game radio show. Knid of a Jeff Vexler-type.

They have been on the losing end so long that they are desperate for new insults.

Clutch20
07-28-2007, 09:34 AM
I really appreciated this post, thanks Solid D.

It seems Bruce Bowen has stepped up to the plate and remains the unofficial spokesperson of the Spurs since the '05 Dome ceremony.

Did anybody catch a couple of weeks back when Barrack Obama asked him to appear at his SA campaign stop? Bruce was asked to introduce Obama and he looked dapper and confident in that golden brown suit of his.

Bruce Bowen for RC's job once either retires?

Senor Spur, have been digging your avatar all along, hope you never change it!

Clutch20
07-28-2007, 09:46 AM
A quick tidbit from the local ESPN affiliate here in Dallas....................
Sad that in order to climb their way up to the top, those 'casters have to follow a slimy formula of scratching and clawing their way up to the top, all's fair etc.

They should not try to demean Coach Wade's efforts to inspire and provide focus for his Cowboys.

Everyone loves a winner.

The Spurs are winners and that spells success.

Eventually all team majority and minority owners everywhere if they haven't done it already are going to question their staffs about breeding success instead of $$buying$$ it.

SenorSpur
07-28-2007, 09:48 AM
Clutch20, you're too kind my friend. I've thought changing it a time or two. But I want to keep paying homage to both the ol' school Spurs and ol' school Spurs fans - like myself. I appreciate the love.

Bruce is the shit! What a great find this guy was!

Clutch20
07-28-2007, 10:22 AM
Helya SenorSpur, we're all a part of Spur's winning tradition, old and new.
"Mr. Funeral Director, make my coffin two-toned; silver and black and please bury me in my Spurs jersey, the one with the beer stains running down the left side!"

SenorSpur
07-28-2007, 10:28 AM
Helya SenorSpur, we're all a part of Spur's winning tradition, old and new.
"Mr. Funeral Director, make my coffin two-toned; silver and black and please bury me in my Spurs jersey, the one with the beer stains running down the left side!"

That shit is funny because I actually thought about that same type of scene. Not to be morbid or anything, but I've actually visualized that type of scene with the decorated coffin and being outfitted in full Spurs regalia. I can imagine that type of scene causing some faint smiles and light-hearted laughter among family and friends during a time when there usually is very little of either. I don't know that I'd actually go through with it though.

Clutch20
07-28-2007, 10:47 AM
Really? How minds run together sometimes. My wife sitting down right behind me laughed when I posed the question of how she would feel having me buried black and silver. She added she would probably be dead by that time anyways and wouldn't have to go through the whole ordeal!
But really, man, it remains an option but now I gotta chase it out of my mind, don't plan on the final buzzer sounding out any time soon, por favor!

smrattler
07-28-2007, 12:49 PM
http://www.dallascowboys.com/news.cfm?id=0A61712E-0706-9964-291F105886A24D04

angel_luv
07-28-2007, 12:59 PM
Bruce is good people

J.T.
07-28-2007, 01:21 PM
How does Duncan get to be a Bears fan coming from the V.I.s?

Good for Bruce getting to talk to the Cowboys btw.

Da Spurs
07-28-2007, 10:38 PM

Sweetness?

Roxsfan
07-29-2007, 12:38 AM
I love the jealousy that Dallas has for basketball success.....I hope they never win a championship under mark cuban.

Bigzax
07-29-2007, 12:47 AM
cowboys?

i've lost all respect for #12. poof. just like that...

Roxsfan
07-29-2007, 01:11 AM
^^why, I thought when it came to football, SA was South Dallas :wtf

I know quite a few SAians that love the Spurs, Cowboys, Astros and Longhorns

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/multimedia/photo_gallery/0611/gallery.nba.cheerleaders1117/images/rockets016375919.jpg

tmtcsc
07-29-2007, 08:53 AM

Good for Bruce getting to talk to the Cowboys btw.

Hopped on the Bandwagon when he was a kid. I think during the Super Bowl Shuffle days. What was he ? 8. Damn, I feel old.

HJNTX
07-29-2007, 10:02 AM
I love the jealousy that Dallas has for basketball success.....I hope they never win a championship under mark cuban.
...Cuban has disgusted many a basketball fan .. He will forever leave a bad taste in the mouths of millions ..He just needs to sit down and SHUT UP!! Sign the paychecks and let those in the "know," do their jobs ..