PDA

View Full Version : The Simpsons Movie

Jimcs50
07-28-2007, 12:22 PM
:lol

Go see it. Laughed a lot...kids and adult humor...worth the $5

jman3000
07-28-2007, 12:28 PM
saw it last night... laughed a little... bart's penis scene was clever... pig was a bit overplayed... given it a low b - high c

peewee's lovechild
07-28-2007, 01:00 PM
I'm seeing it later on today.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-28-2007, 01:12 PM
The consensus seems to be in the B range. I think the series officially jumps the shark with this movie though. Would it be considered Ironic if the movie fans have been waiting for for years actually kills the series? I think so. At least a little bit.

T Park
07-28-2007, 01:22 PM
I think the series officially jumps the shark with this movie though

everyones favorite cool buzzword. Thanks alot Fonz.

BTW, the Shows been on for what, 15 16 years?

If it had only been on 2 or 3 years I'd agree, but damn 15 16 years, and its still going strong.

Jimcs50
07-28-2007, 01:46 PM
The consensus seems to be in the B range. I think the series officially jumps the shark with this movie though. Would it be considered Ironic if the movie fans have been waiting for for years actually kills the series? I think so. At least a little bit.

How can it kill the series???

The movie is making millions, everyone comes out of the theater smiling, and the reviews are good. There were laughs throughout the movie, a lot of clever lines for adults and some slapstick for the kids, a good mix, it will be a huge success.

Leetonidas
07-28-2007, 01:50 PM
I thought the movie was great. For the series being so successful, many people probably thought a movie would fuck it up, but this movie was funny.

Fabbs
07-28-2007, 01:59 PM
Average at best.
If Beavin n Butthead rude crude floats your boat then yes the movie is like an extended episode of the last 8 years.

Really jumped shark circa 9th season when Homer went from lovable obnoxious baffoon to downright heartless and nasty. Ie Grimey Grimes episode when he caused Grimes death then laughed and acted like a slob at the funeral. Now its digressed to where even Marge is getting to be an asshole. Laughing at other peoples pain and lowbrow seems to be the staple of current uncreative writers.

If that's what floats your boat, enjoy.

TxJudsonRocketTx
07-28-2007, 02:11 PM
Average at best.
If Beavin n Butthead rude crude floats your boat then yes the movie is like an extended episode of the last 8 years.

Really jumped shark circa 9th season when Homer went from lovable obnoxious baffoon to downright heartless and nasty. Ie Grimey Grimes episode when he caused Grimes death then laughed and acted like a slob at the funeral. Now its digressed to where even Marge is getting to be an asshole. Laughing at other peoples pain and lowbrow seems to be the staple of current uncreative writers.

I seem to be hearing this a lot, that the shows writing has gone from genius to nothing more than putting together whatever it takes for a cheap laugh. The show has sucked for the last 10 years almost and I'm hearing this is more of the same.

AFBlue
07-28-2007, 02:23 PM
No way this movies lives up the immense hype that has followed it for all the rumored years of its realease.

I guarantee that's why the waited so late to release the trailers to it.

This movie will not blow....but I fail to see how it can live up to expectations.

Still....I will go see it and decide for myself.

leemajors
07-28-2007, 03:23 PM
Average at best.

i agree. homer used to do ridiculous stuff, but in the end he did whatever for his family. the death knell for me was the arman ketayan (sp?) episode, but i kept watching until the episode where homer and lisa tried to rob a museum or something just for thrills. it was obvious by that point that groening's heart wasn't in it, and futurama was where the creativity was. fox has been beating a dead horse for a decade. i am glad groening has been getting paid though, since fox killed the show he liked by putting it on sundays at 6 and having it being bumped weekly by football postgame.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-28-2007, 03:29 PM
How can it kill the series???

The movie is making millions, everyone comes out of the theater smiling, and the reviews are good. There were laughs throughout the movie, a lot of clever lines for adults and some slapstick for the kids, a good mix, it will be a huge success.

Not outright kill it. Thats not what I meant. I meant this movie will probably be the jumping of the shark for the series, and kill it in the sense that this may be the definitive "beginning of the end" of the simpsons.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-28-2007, 03:30 PM
everyones favorite cool buzzword. Thanks alot Fonz.

BTW, the Shows been on for what, 15 16 years?

If it had only been on 2 or 3 years I'd agree, but damn 15 16 years, and its still going strong.

Exactly. The show is an abberation, an enigma. How could a show keep going so damn long without jumping? The movie may be it. If the movie is a huge success...how do they top it? That is where I am coming from.

johnsmith
07-28-2007, 03:38 PM
The Simpsons can do no wrong in my view.

I'm a total sucker for this show and have been since it came on when I was 10 years old.

I TIVO all repeats, I catch every Sunday episode, and I'm going to see the movie tomorrow.

I firmly believe anyone between the ages of 25-30 (I'm 27), and watched this show from the start, loves the Simpsons. The humor grew up with us. It went from focusing on Bart and "don't have a cow", which was funny when we were 10, all the way to Homer and the unbelievably dry humor and sarcasm that most of my generation seems to enjoy.

Long Live Homer...........even if the episodes are completely random.

By the way, Family Guy, while hilarious, is still a complete rip-off of the Simpsons.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-28-2007, 03:40 PM
I don't think Family Guy is a ripoff of the simpsons, only in the respect that it follows the "Enormously fat funny man marries hot wife" formula, which Simpsons itself did not create.

Family Guy is a show that will be completely irrelevant in 20 years because noone who watches an episode will know or remember all the pop culture referneces that make the bread and butter of the show. The jokes of family guy are mostly outside of the plot.
It's not a simpsons ripoff, thats a weak argument.

johnsmith
07-28-2007, 03:42 PM
I don't think Family Guy is a ripoff of the simpsons, only in the respect that it follows the "Enormously fat funny man marries hot wife" formula, which Simpsons itself did not create.

Family Guy is a show that will be completely irrelevant in 20 years because noone who watches an episode will know or remember all the pop culture referneces that make the bread and butter of the show. The jokes of family guy are mostly outside of the plot.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zZnNsbtsUV0

leemajors
07-28-2007, 03:43 PM

i wouldn't consider it a rip off, but seth openly admitted he was trying to outdo the simpsons. i couldn't watch family guy after the hiatus, it fell off big time. futurama was better than all of them when they were all on.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-28-2007, 03:43 PM
It's a weak argument. Like mentioned earlier in this thread simpsons has gone on what, 15 years? They've probably copied themselves by now. South park is not a simpsons ripoff and they made an episode showing how its almost impossible not to steal show ideas from the simpsons even inadvertantly because they've done EVERYTHING.

Stealing show ideas does not make it a ripoff.
It means one or two episodes ripped it off. The show itself still stands alone. It's a seperate beast.

The simpsons is like the longest running tv show EVER isn't it?

johnsmith
07-28-2007, 03:44 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=peJM_h2tC80&mode=related&search=

Cant_Be_Faded
07-28-2007, 03:46 PM
Yeah FG was always inferior to simpsons, noone has ever doubted that. They've stolen skits and what not, nobody has ever denied it, but the premise and the show itself is not a ripoff.
Family Guy uses completely different (and lamer) ways to get their laughs.

Unhappily Ever After is a prime example of a ripoff show, ripping off Married With Children.

johnsmith
07-28-2007, 03:47 PM
i wouldn't consider it a rip off, but seth openly admitted he was trying to outdo the simpsons. i couldn't watch family guy after the hiatus, it fell off big time. futurama was better than all of them when they were all on.

I heard Futurama was going to get started again, but it was going to be on Comedy Central.

While I like Simpsons more, Futurama was highly underrated....... I thought.

leemajors
07-28-2007, 03:49 PM
I heard Futurama was going to get started again, but it was going to be on Comedy Central.

While I like Simpsons more, Futurama was highly underrated....... I thought.
they made 4 futurama "movies" which they are chopping up into episodes. i liked the simpsons more, but by that time it turned into trash homer as a person and character.

johnsmith
07-28-2007, 03:49 PM
Yeah FG was always inferior to simpsons, noone has ever doubted that. They've stolen skits and what not, nobody has ever denied it, but the premise and the show itself is not a ripoff.
Family Guy uses completely different (and lamer) ways to get their laughs.

Unhappily Ever After is a prime example of a ripoff show, ripping off Married With Children.

Wasn't that the one where Bobcat Goldwaith (sp?), was the voice of a stuffed dog?

johnsmith
07-28-2007, 03:50 PM
they made 4 futurama "movies" which they are chopping up into episodes. i liked the simpsons more, but by that time it turned into trash homer as a person and character.

See, I just don't get the issue that many have with Homer.

leemajors
07-28-2007, 03:52 PM
See, I just don't get the issue that many have with Homer.
Homer was a great character, but they just turned it into a Homer bashing fest around 1998 or 1999. I just didn't think it was as funny after all the good writers they had had gone off to other stuff.

johnsmith
07-28-2007, 03:54 PM
Homer was a great character, but they just turned it into a Homer bashing fest around 1998 or 1999. I just didn't think it was as funny after all the good writers they had had gone off to other stuff.

I disagree, but again, in my eyes they can do no wrong.

Burn531
07-28-2007, 04:47 PM
29 million on Friday. This movies gonna be huge. Probably will take in around 80 mill over the weekend.

I'm thinking I'll go sometime next week when the theaters less crowded.

spursfan09
07-28-2007, 05:35 PM
I never really watch the Simpson only if I'm bored and I happen to catch it on TV, but the movie was so funny. It's really good. Somebody said they do it for cheep laughs, well either way a laugh is a laugh right? Also there is a good storyline going on between Bart and Homer.

peewee's lovechild
07-28-2007, 07:13 PM
I love the Simpsons.
I'll start with that.

However, I just now got back from watching the movie and . . . . it's really not all that.
It's got some funny parts, but you don't really bust out in laughter.

Homer is more idiotic than ever, but more pathetic than funny, and Bart turns into this Emo kid . . . but, conveniently turns back into good ole Bart in the last few minutes.
Plus, there isn't enough of the background characters.

Also, the plot is something they could've used for a single episode.
Aaaaaaaaaaand, that is the real problem with the movie. The movie is basically one big glorified episode. The only difference is that you get to see Bart's dick and balls and Homer shooting the finger.

Aside from that, it's basically one giant mediocre episode.

jinglejangle
07-28-2007, 08:08 PM
Movie was great.
Not a boring moment in it and it is the only movie in recent years that I can look back at and still laugh about a couple of days later.
I'm not a huge fan of the current shows being made, but this movie was all it was cracked up to be. No promises, just a straight up good time.
Part of the fun was seeing the Simpsons on the big screen.
Best money I've spent on a movie in a long time.
No real filler at all.
Btw, Futurama was where it was at, too bad it was given the death timeslot by FOX.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-28-2007, 09:53 PM
Bart's dick and balls

ROFL

dude that can be the name of my new musical experiment. That has band name written all over it.
ROFL

leemajors
07-28-2007, 09:55 PM
ROFL

dude that can be the name of my new musical experiment. That has band name written all over it.
ROFL
you could go for "my balls, your chin" but that's already a last exit song.

Spurminator
07-28-2007, 10:30 PM
The first half hour was great, and the rest played like an "okay" episode. I wish the plot had centered around Springfield characters instead of the EPA/government/etc.

But I will say the funniest parts definitely weren't the parts they showed in previews.

CuckingFunt
07-28-2007, 11:43 PM
The Simpsons can do no wrong in my view.

I'm a total sucker for this show and have been since it came on when I was 10 years old.

I TIVO all repeats, I catch every Sunday episode, and I'm going to see the movie tomorrow.

I firmly believe anyone between the ages of 25-30 (I'm 27), and watched this show from the start, loves the Simpsons. The humor grew up with us. It went from focusing on Bart and "don't have a cow", which was funny when we were 10, all the way to Homer and the unbelievably dry humor and sarcasm that most of my generation seems to enjoy.

Long Live Homer...........even if the episodes are completely random.Ditto to all of this.

Well, except that I stopped TIVOing the syndicated episodes once I bought the first nine seasons on DVD.

CuckingFunt
07-28-2007, 11:44 PM
I love the Simpsons.
I'll start with that.

However, I just now got back from watching the movie and . . . . it's really not all that.
It's got some funny parts, but you don't really bust out in laughter.

Homer is more idiotic than ever, but more pathetic than funny, and Bart turns into this Emo kid . . . but, conveniently turns back into good ole Bart in the last few minutes.
Plus, there isn't enough of the background characters.

Also, the plot is something they could've used for a single episode.
Aaaaaaaaaaand, that is the real problem with the movie. The movie is basically one big glorified episode. The only difference is that you get to see Bart's dick and balls and Homer shooting the finger.

Aside from that, it's basically one giant mediocre episode.Oh, I laughed a lot.

But, it would have to have been Gigli level awful for me not to. The Simpsons beautifully animated on a big screen was like one big nerd-gasm for me. I want more.

peewee's lovechild
07-29-2007, 01:13 PM
Oh, I laughed a lot.

But, it would have to have been Gigli level awful for me not to. The Simpsons beautifully animated on a big screen was like one big nerd-gasm for me. I want more.

I'm not saying that it was awful . . . but it just wasn't great. I went into it with high expectations that weren't fulfilled.

I love the Simpsons. I'll usually watch them over anything else on TV, but the problem is that there wasn't enough "face time" for the other characters. Barney, Mo, Abu, the Black Doctor . . . all those guys really make the series because of their interactions with the main characters. In the movie, they only have about a minute of face time . . . and newer characters like Cargill and Pres Shwarzenegger(sp) are given more time over them.

And, I really don't like what they did with Bart. He seemed a little to whiney and emo for me. It just wasn't what I expected for a Simpson's movie.

It kinda reminded me of the last Seinfeld episode, where they gave every character just 5 seconds of face time. I wasn't too crazy about Seinfeld's last episode and I wasn't too crazy about the Simpson's Movie.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-29-2007, 02:07 PM
The Simpsons beautifully animated on a big screen was like one big nerd-gasm for me. I want more.

I thought it was very well animated, too. I just finished watching it and can't wait to go watch it on the big screen.

I loved it.

spursreport
07-29-2007, 04:54 PM
I liked the movie well enough. However, they need to fucking end this god damn show. It sucks ass now and it has lost all of it's humor. I hardly even laugh anymore. The Simpsons show has overstayed its welcome over the last few years and it is time for it to come to an end. There comes a time when things wear out and the Simpsons already have.

The Red Hood
07-29-2007, 05:34 PM
What did it make $70mil honestly I expected it to make more with all the marketing and what not

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-29-2007, 05:50 PM
I'm pretty sure that regardless if the movie sucks or not, we're in for around 10 more years of the Simpsons.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-29-2007, 06:23 PM
What did it make $70mil honestly I expected it to make more with all the marketing and what not

I'm pretty sure you have to look at how a movie does as far as market share. No other movie was going to even try and expect to seriously compete with The Simpsons release, but the #2 movie didn't even pull $20M.

There's just less moviewatching dollars to go around these days. The top-12 movies of the week made $169M.

leemajors
07-29-2007, 06:48 PM
I'm pretty sure you have to look at how a movie does as far as market share. No other movie was going to even try and expect to seriously compete with The Simpsons release, but the #2 movie didn't even pull $20M.

There's just less moviewatching dollars to go around these days. The top-12 movies of the week made $169M.
sounds like it's time to hike prices to inflate grosses! or it's just the end of summer slowdown.

Slomo
07-30-2007, 04:04 AM
:lol

Go see it. Laughed a lot...kids and adult humor...worth the $5Is it appropriate for my 8 years old?

johnsmith
07-30-2007, 07:29 AM
Is it appropriate for my 8 years old?

Yes, he'll like it.

There are three parts that make it PG-13 and those parts aren't too bad (Homer giving people the finger, Marge sayin God Damn, and Barts nuts and wang).

I thought it was fucking hilarious. However, a lot of friends of mine weren't impressed either. I guess they just can't do wrong in my eyes.

Spider Pig
07-30-2007, 08:33 AM
The movie needs more Spider Pig.

LuvBones
07-30-2007, 10:31 PM
I just saw this tonight and it was really good! :) I'm more into Futurama than Simpsons but the movie had me laughing a lot. There's a bunch of funny lines and random funny parts throughout the whole movie. :tu

E20
07-31-2007, 12:02 AM
In the preview's did it have the Dark Knight trailer/teaser?

Burn531
07-31-2007, 12:10 AM

No not for me.

LuvBones
07-31-2007, 12:11 AM
nope. I don't recall seeing it.

sabar
07-31-2007, 12:47 AM
Simpsons sucked after season 10, Homer turned from lovable oaf into total retard, the jokes sucked, and the writers weren't the same. I still watch it, but I just don't laugh at it like I did seasons 1-10. It jumped the shark long ago.