PDA

View Full Version : Yankees Have Serious Discussions On Gagne

sribb43
07-28-2007, 06:18 PM
Gagne to Yanks? (http://www.realgmbaseball.com/src_wiretap_archives/6937/20070728/yankees_have_serious_discussions_on_gagne/)

Newsday - The Yankees have had serious discussions with the Rangers about reliever Eric Gagne, two major-league sources confirmed Friday night. Gagne is closing for the Rangers but would be a setup man for Mariano Rivera if he were to come to the Yankees. If the Yankees could add Gagne, the back end of their bullpen would be hugely upgraded.

The teams have not been able to agree on a return for Gagne but can continue to haggle over players until the 4 p.m. Tuesday non-waiver trade deadline. The Rangers want pitching in return and have interest in minor-league righthanders Ian Kennedy and Jeffrey Marquez. They also like centerfielder Melky Cabrera, but the Yankees are unlikely to surrender him for Gagne

Horry For 3!
07-28-2007, 06:40 PM
If the Rangers are lookin at Yankee pitching prospects. They should try to go after Dellin Betances or Joba Chamberlain.

Horry For 3!
07-28-2007, 06:43 PM
I just found an article where Cashman says, Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, Ian Kennedy and Alan Horne are almost untouchable.

http://www.nyjournalnews.com/apps/pbcs.dll/article?AID=/20070629/SPORTS01/706290393/1034/SPORTS

Yankees won't deal pitching prospects
By PETER ABRAHAM
THE JOURNAL NEWS

(Original publication: June 29, 2007)
BALTIMORE - General manager Brian Cashman said yesterday that while he would like to be active in the trade market, he will not part with any of the team's top pitching prospects.

"I can't be foolish," Cashman told The Journal News. "We have needs but we've developed these pitchers to play for us."

Cashman didn't list his untouchables. But other general managers have said that Phil Hughes, Joba Chamberlain, Ian Kennedy and Alan Horne are pitchers Cashman will not discuss.

Chamberlain (2-0, 3.24) and Kennedy (3-1, 2.77) were drafted last season and have pitched well for Double-A Trenton after dominating the Florida State League. Horne is 7-3, 2.39 at Trenton.

"First base is a spot we need to improve on, but I'm not going to deal kids like Hughes," Cashman said.

Cashman said he is considering several options for first base. He had no comment on Shea Hillenbrand, whom the Anaheim Angels plan to designate for assignment today.

"I'm open to anything," he said.

Cashman said he is shocked the Yankees are under .500 three months into the season.

"What has me scratching my head is that I think we're a better team offensively than we were last year when we led the majors in runs," he said. "People say we can't hit lefties, but these same guys hit lefties as well as they hit right-handers last season. This season has made no sense."

Cashman finds it amusing that some people suggest retaining Gary Sheffield would have made a difference. Sheffield had 151 at-bats last season and drove in 25 runs.

"Sheff wasn't with us last season for the most part," Cashman said. "Our problem is that the players we have on the roster now are not living up to their potential. I don't have to name the names, everybody knows who they are."

Cashman didn't dismiss the idea of George Steinbrenner making changes in the front office or field staff.

"We're all on notice," he said. "Nobody is comfortable at this point, nor should they be. But there is a lot of the season left. We're not giving up on anything."

Hughes starts program: Phil Hughes threw from a half-mound in Tampa, Fla., earlier this week and by this weekend will throw off a regulation mound.

Hughes has recovered from a torn left hamstring and sprained left ankle and has started the process of rebuilding his arm strength. The hope is that he will return by the end of July.

"He's making progress," Cashman said. "But he's starting over again."

Hughes was 1-1 with a 3.38 ERA in two starts before he was injured on May 1.

Extra bases: Designated hitter Jason Giambi continues to wear a protective boot on his left foot because of torn plantar fascia tissue. He has had the boot on since June 1. "It's what we expected," Cashman said. "I've been told he'll be able to play again this season but we don't know when." ... The Yankees signed third-round draft pick Ryan Pope, a right-hander from the Savannah (Ga.) College of Art and Design. Cashman said the team is working hard on Carmen Angelini, the Louisiana high school infielder who fell into the 10th round because of his commitment to attend Rice University.

CubanMustGo
07-28-2007, 07:19 PM
With the Rangers track record they will trade Gagne for some clown playing rookie ball somewhere who will top out in AA. Is there any team in baseball that has traded more away and gotten less in return?

BUMP
07-28-2007, 09:20 PM
there's no way they do this.

Chris
07-28-2007, 09:42 PM
Gagne isn't going anywhere and has already made it clear on several occasions that he likes it in Arlington and wants to stay.

leemajors
07-28-2007, 10:28 PM
Gagne isn't going anywhere and has already made it clear on several occasions that he likes it in Arlington and wants to stay.
sell high before he gets hurt again.