PDA

View Full Version : Parker the scorer?

Nikos
12-09-2004, 11:56 PM
When is Parker going to become that scorer that his potential suggested the past two years?

Its nice that he is trying to become a real "PG", but does this type of offense even need a real PG? With Duncan getting all his supporting cast clean looks, why does Parker even need to become a great passer or pure PG? As long as he scores and finds ways to get others the ball while minimizing his mistakes and disappearing acts he should be fine.

He has the ability to score 15-16pts easy and right now he just doesn't look in sync offensively. Sure he had 9asts tonight, which is great. But at some point he has to become the second scorer for this team. He has to start scoring 15-16+ppg for this team to find its offensive peak.

Ginobili can score on some nights, but his offensive production is dropping rapidly, and Parker is not exactly shooting the lights out.

I will reserve my judgement on Manus offensive consistency for a little bit later in the season. Sure it upsets me that he still has nights where he is quiet on offense and 1/4 of his shots come from halfcourt heaves. But Parker needs to find that scoring touch for this team to really hit its stride.

Does anyone think he is going to explode sooner or later, or should we expect Parker to look for his shot less this season than in say 2002-03?

Is this a new Parker? Or is he just a bit out of sync, and should find his stride by Febuary?

Kori Ellis
12-10-2004, 12:00 AM
He has the ability to score 15-16pts easy and right now he just doesn't look in sync offensively. Sure he had 9asts tonight, which is great

Seeing as the coaching staff took the emphasis off scoring and on to distributing for Parker, then I think he's doing what he has been asked. Nonetheless he's average nearly 14 ppg -- not far off your request for 15.

Nikos
12-10-2004, 12:02 AM
He is not scoring efficiently, and he is capable of more. 16 efficient points is better than 13-14 inefficient points. And yes it IS a big difference.

With Manu scoring less and having his minutes managed a bit early on in the season I think Parker needs to assume that second scorer role again.

For some reason he just does not look comfortable on offense to me. I don't know why. Maybe its just cause his shot is not falling?

ChumpDumper
12-10-2004, 12:02 AM
A lot of times, Parker has difficulty against new matchups he hasn't had a chance to figure out yet.

Sura/Barrett is about as novel as it gets.

Solid D
12-10-2004, 12:03 AM
Parker's decision-making late in the shot clock wasn't too good versus Houston. One of his poorer scoring performances this season, although he did have a fine assist night.

Credit to this Barrett kid from Seton Hall. He was fantastic defensively versus TP and in limiting the Spurs' transition game. I was impressed.

http://www.nba.com/media/playerfile/andre_barrett.jpg

Kori Ellis
12-10-2004, 12:04 AM
Are you just saying this because of the Spurs last two games?

Because prior to that he's shot ....

6-9
6-10
9-16
6-9
7-16
6-9

That's very efficient (sans the 7-16 game).

Nikos
12-10-2004, 12:04 AM
And before that?

T Park
12-10-2004, 12:06 AM
learning learning learning.

Hes 22 and always learning.

hes averaging 14 and what 5 assists??

Id say hes ok.

he had 9 assits tongiht, I thought he was good.

Had a few more shots that rimmed in and out gone in, hed had about 20 points probobly.

Kori Ellis
Well I thought you were discussing what he's done lately. Seven good performances in the last 10 games is pretty good.

Marcus Bryant
Parker's decision-making late in the shot clock wasn't too good versus Houston. One of his poorer scoring performances this season, although he did have a fine assist night.

Indeed. Good to see that TP the playmaker can show up in a halfcourt game.

Credit to this Barrett kid from Seton Hall. He was fantastic defensively versus TP and in limiting the Spurs' transition game. I was impressed.

Agreed.

T Park
12-10-2004, 12:08 AM
I dont have that many complaints with Tony parker.

You put it in perspective that hes 22, still learning, and one of the top 5 point guards in the game, its not that bad.

Nikos
12-10-2004, 12:12 AM
Top 5 PGs in the game?

ducks
12-10-2004, 09:08 AM
Indeed. Good to see that TP the playmaker can show up in a halfcourt game.

this is what will matter in playoffs