PDA

View Full Version : Bzdelik says Nuggets are born to run

ducks
10-03-2003, 01:59 PM
Bzdelik says Nuggets are born to run
Associated Press

DENVER (AP) _ After a 17-65 season a year ago, Denver Nuggets coach Jeff Bzdelik knows better than to predict a certain number of victories this season.

He does, however, promise that his team will run and be fun to watch.

On the third day of training camp Thursday, Denver's younger players were joined by veterans for Media Day. The first full-squad workouts will be on Friday.

``We had so many young players last year, and young players historically don't score points,'' Bzdelik said. ``We had to slow it down to really give ourselves a chance to win.

``But now we have the players in this locker room who can give us that kind of competitiveness. We still must be realistic. We're a ways away from winning the number of games that we all want to win. But we're going to get up and down the court, and we're going to be a lot of fun to watch.''

Bzdelik wants the new Nuggets to take advantage of Denver's mile-high elevation by running opponents into submission, and he might finally have the tools to do it.

``If we can keep Marcus Camby healthy, he can start a fastbreak because of his shot-blocking and defensive rebounding,'' Bzdelik said. ``You need a point guard who can make open-court decisions, and Andre Miller does that very well.''

Miller was Denver's biggest free-agent signing over the summer, agreeing to a six-year, $51-million deal after playing for the Los Angeles Clippers last season.

The Nuggets also added Earl Boykins, who will be Miller's backup; shooting guards Voshon Lenard and Jon Barry, and forward Carmelo Anthony, the third player selected in the NBA draft.

Among the returnees are Camby, forwards Nene and Ryan Bowen and shooting guard Rodney White.

``I think we've got talent at every position,'' Miller said. ``We've got some bangers and some big men who can run. That plays into what the coaches want to do this year.''

Added Barry, ``I think we can do some damage. I think we're going to surprise some people.'' time (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=24272995)