PDA

View Full Version : Should This Pedophile Be Punished?

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-29-2007, 01:26 PM
Parents' Ire Grows at Pedophile's Blog
By JENNIFER STEINHAUER,The New York Times
Posted: 2007-07-29 09:40:03
LOS ANGELES (July 28) -- The search for the self-described pedophile in the large-brimmed black hat commences nearly every day here, with findings posted on chat rooms frequented by mothers.

He was spotted at a fair in Santa Clarita. He recently emerged from the Social Security office on Olympic Boulevard. He tapped away on a computer at the library in Mar Vista. Warnings have gone out. Signs have been posted.

And yet unlike convicted sex offenders, who are required to stay away from places that cater to children, in this case the police can do next to nothing, because this man, Jack McClellan, who has had Web sites detailing how and where he likes to troll for children, appears to be doing nothing illegal.

But his mere presence in Los Angeles -- coupled with Mr. McClellan’s commitment to exhibitionistic blogging about his thoughts on little girls -- has set parents on edge. One group of mothers, whose members by and large have never met before, will soon band together in a coffee shop to hammer out plans to push lawmakers in Sacramento to legislate Mr. McClellan out of business.

"Just the idea that this person could get away with what he was doing and no one could press charges has made me angry," said Jane Thompson, a stay-at-home mother in East Los Angeles who recently read Mr. McClellan's comments about a festival in her neighborhood in which he seemed to be describing her child.

Ms. Thompson is part of a movement to make it illegal to post images of children of any type on Web sites with sexual content or themes. "It became what I call a minor obsession of mine for the next six weeks," she said, "to get to know his crowd and the things they talk about."

Two months ago, Mr. McClellan said, he was more or less run out of Washington State, where he lived off and on with his parents, after the news media there and various Web sites drew attention to his activities, making him worry about his safety and that of his family. He had been posting nonsexual pictures of children on a Web site intended to promote the acceptance of pedophiles, and to direct other pedophiles to events and places where children tended to gather.

So he moved to Los Angeles, where he was born, to try to live a Southern California version of his former life. The climate was one draw, said Mr. McClellan in an interview near this reporter's office last week. But also "there are so many world-class children's attractions here, Disneyland, festivals and whatnot."

Mr. McClellan has refrained from posting pictures of children on his Web site, which was shut down by its host several weeks ago but which he intends to start again, he said, with a Dutch host. On the site, he has described fairs, festivals and other spots that he hits at least three days a week, all to the fury of parents.

It is both his actions and inactions that vex law enforcement officials here, who, while suggesting that they keep an eye on Mr. McClellan when they can, say they have no legal recourse against him.

"If you look at things he has posted, he clearly is a pedophile," said Lt. Thomas Sirkel, who works in the Special Victim' Unit of the Los Angeles County Sheriff’s Department.

"Has he acted on it? I can't say," Lieutenant Sirkel said. "But I've been in this business for 20 years, and I have never seen one who has not."

Mr. McClellan, who is 45, refers to himself as a pedophile, but says he has never actually sexually touched a child, simply "embraced them in a nonsexual way, mostly in Latin American countries." He says he has never been convicted of a sex crime, and law enforcement officials in Los Angeles say they know of no convictions.

A check of available public records yielded no criminal history for Mr. McClellan, including under another name he said he used. Mr. McClellan, who said he was adopted, said he changed his name to that of his birth mother several years ago.

Lieutenant Sirkel would not say whether his department had Mr. McClellan under surveillance.

"Why should I tell him about our tactics?" Lieutenant Sirkel said. But he added: "I'd like to know where he is at, what he is doing and watch him awhile. I think he is possibly a dangerous man. In my opinion, he is a threat to children in this community, and people in the community are real concerned about him."

Two Web-based groups, Peachhead, which caters largely to mothers on the West Side of Los Angeles, and Booby Brigade, its counterpart across town, have been abuzz with chatter about "Jack" sightings, and some parents have taken to posting photos of him in parks, downloaded from the Web.

"This one really angered people," said Linda Perry, who runs Peachhead, referring to Mr. McClellan.

Mr. McClellan has been somewhat elusive. He lives largely in his car, he said, although he says he occasionally rents rooms. Asked how he makes a living, he would say only that he lives off of "public assistance, the kind where you're not allowed to work."

The parental reactions somewhat mirror those in the novel and film "Little Children," in which a community becomes enraged at the notion of a convicted sex offender living in their midst, and chase him down at every turn. Although Mr. McClellan is not similarly pursued, parents who recognize him at events often scream at him, he said, and he fears for his safety enough that he would not meet a reporter in a public place.

Law enforcement officials have clearly taken notice -- one mother posted on PeachheadFamilies.com about her husband, a location scout for films, being asked to leave a park where he was using his camera. Mothers from Pasadena to Marina del Rey will soon gather to discuss possible legislative options, Ms. Thompson said.

Theirs will most likely be a difficult road. While posting pictures of children in sexual situations is a felony, posting them fully clothed in everyday situations is not, even in the context of sexualizing them by proxy, so to speak, First Amendment scholars said. Further, while inciting others to commit crimes can be illegal, it is unclear whether giving people links to children's book fairs is criminal.

"It is an interesting case," said Eugene Volokh, a law professor and First Amendment expert at the University of California, Los Angeles.

Professor Volokh cited a federal statute that bars the posting of bomb-making information on the Web, and suggested that a similar statute banning information that helps people find children to molest could be enacted, perhaps. But simply providing information about where children gather was not likely to constitute such a crime, he said.

In terms of children's images, he said: "The general rule is pictures of people in public are free for people to publish. Now if it is without permission and the person is a child and he suggests the children are sexual targets, you can imagine a court saying this is a new First Amendment exception. But it would be an uphill battle."

So for now, then, many Angelenos will continue to track and record Mr. McClellan's every move. Ms. Perry of Peachhead noted that the city was full of convicted child molesters.

"At least we know who he is and what he looks like," she said.

Alain Delaquérière contributed reporting from New York.

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/parents-ire-grows-at-pedophiles-blog/20070728123009990001?ncid=NWS00010000000001

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-29-2007, 11:43 PM
Bump. I'm pretty sure this can stir up an argument or two.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-29-2007, 11:55 PM
Woah. Now that is an issue. Obviously this guy is a walking time bomb, but can you punish people for their thoughts or only their actions?

Now I leave the thread to those who will mock, make fun of and generally lighten up the subject! :lol

T Park
07-30-2007, 12:33 AM
unfortunately you can't.....

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-30-2007, 04:51 AM
unfortunately you can't.....

Agreed. My comment related to another thread in here a day or two ago where I tried to be serious by pointing out the shoddy journalism in the article, but everyone else lampooned the subject - it was about female teachers sleeping with their students, allegedly...

DarkReign
07-30-2007, 10:36 AM
Bad precedent set if he is arrested for his private thoughts made public on the net.

Still, the guy is sick and derranged.

greywheel
07-30-2007, 10:48 AM
Two Web-based groups, Peachhead, which caters largely to mothers on the West Side of Los Angeles, and Booby Brigade, its counterpart across town, have been abuzz with chatter about "Jack" sightings, and some parents have taken to posting photos of him in parks, downloaded from the Web.

If these groups plan to strike fear in this guy's heart the first step will be to change their names.
In the end, I think the pedophile is not going to appreciate the publicity he is getting.

Despot
08-03-2007, 10:50 PM
http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/law/08/03/pedophile.blogger.ap/index.html

LOS ANGELES, California (AP) -- A self-described pedophile who says he is attracted to young girls but doesn't molest them was ordered Friday to stay at least 30 feet away from every person under age 18 in California.

The temporary restraining order was issued against Jack McClellan by Superior Court Judge Melvin Sandvig, who also scheduled an August 24 hearing to discuss the matter further.

McClellan, who was not in court, told The Associated Press he didn't learn of Friday's hearing in time to attend.

"That was granted? Oh man, I didn't think it would be," McClellan said, adding he believed such an order would be an unconstitutional restriction of his rights.

The order was obtained by attorneys Anthony Zinnanti and Richard Patterson, both parents of young children. As soon as Sandvig issued it, Zinnanti raced to Los Angeles International Airport to serve it on McClellan, who had boarded a flight to Chicago for a TV appearance.

"He was on an airplane and we managed to get him off the airplane and jam him with it," Zinnanti said by phone from the airport. McClellan accepted it nonchalantly and got back on the plane, he said.

McClellan, who is unemployed and lives out of his car, has created a furor across Southern California since arriving several weeks ago from Washington state, where he had lived with his parents.

For years, McClellan maintained a Web site in Washington where he posted photos of children he had taken in public places. He also discussed how he liked to stake out parks, public libraries, fast-food restaurants and other areas where little girls, or "LGs," congregate.

"Most libraries have frequent programs and events for children, and sometimes you can get quite close to LGs there," he said in one posting.

McClellan said his intentions are misunderstood and insisted he would never molest a child.

"I guess there is some small chance maybe someday I might be able to get some sort of friendship with a girl and maybe then I might worry would I cross the line," he said. "But right now, no. There's no doubt in my mind I wouldn't."

Although he didn't post any recognizable photos of girls on a similar Web site he put up after arriving in Los Angeles, McClellan said, word about him quickly spread in Internet chat rooms maintained by mothers of young children.

At least one mother, Sandra Vasquez, said she believes he may have photographed her daughter at a Los Angeles street fair.

"I thought I saw a man take a picture of her as he passed," she said. "I have no idea if it was him, but we had been at the location that he described on his site just prior to leaving the fair."

McClellan's server took his Web site down a month ago, and he said Friday he isn't sure whether he'll try to put it back up.

"I'm listening to the criticism. I'm trying to see the other point of view. I'm trying to put myself in the parents' shoes," he said. "That was one of the reasons I really reformed the camera stuff."

McClellan, who says he lives on Supplemental Security Income and suffers from depression, maintains he launched the site as a form of therapy.

"I'm determined not to do anything illegal," he said, and police and public records confirm his assertion that he has never been arrested.

Since his arrival in Southern California, people have reported seeing McClellan, 45, in several communities where many children were present. He doesn't deny being there, acknowledging Friday that he visited the Orange County Fair in particular several times.

In Santa Monica, a mother saw McClellan in a restaurant and called police, who arrived in time to talk with him and ask if they could take his picture.

He agreed, saying he thought it would allow them to quickly clear him of any sex crimes in their city. But he was unhappy when they posted it on the Internet along with his driver's license photo and a warning to parents to call them if they see him.

"It's almost kind of like a sex offender flier on me," he said.

It also gave a clear view of McClellan's face, which he has shielded in several TV appearances with dark glasses and sometimes a floppy hat. Such appearances, in which McClellan appears articulate but disheveled, have confounded both parents and experts on pedophilia.

"It is very unusual. We've found that pedophiles and sexual predators normally operate in the dark and don't make that type of thing public," said Capt. Joe Gutierrez, who heads the Los Angeles County Sheriff's Department's special victims unit.

Asked whether the whole thing could be a hoax, Gutierrez replied, "It's always a possibility."

"We do not have an active criminal investigation on Mr. McClellan at this time," Gutierrez said. He declined to say whether sheriff's officials have him under surveillance.

Ok, this guy is a sick fuck, but can they really issue a retraining order when he has not violated any laws? If I say I think about killing everyone, can they stop me from being near anyone?

The fact that he just moved to LA leads me to believe that he may be doing it just for attention, or hoping he can find a way to sue the city when they violate his rights.

08-03-2007, 10:58 PM
I think Despot has it right.

1. Post thoughts and tactics on how to troll for children

2. Wait for city to prosecute him

3. Find some pro bono group to help you sue under civil rights or freedom of expression

4. Profit!

ShoogarBear
08-03-2007, 11:20 PM
How does a guy who lives in his car and off public assistance have a web site?

Despot
08-03-2007, 11:40 PM
How does a guy who lives in his car and off public assistance have a web site?

How does he pay for a flight to Chicago? Web sites can be set up cheaply.

What is more alarming is he did the same web site thing in Washington State, and apparently he didn't get the attention, so he goes from living with his parents to homeless in LA? If his parents had kicked him out, why would he go to LA? Why not stay in more familiar territory, just seems suspect to me.

whottt
08-03-2007, 11:52 PM
Yeah you can't do anything to the dude until he's done something wrong...at least the law can't.

The only judgement he's up for right now is from society...and hopefully that judgement will be harsh.

Unfortunately this guy isn't going to change because of that...he's a pervert and I doubt that will change...at least he's revealed himself enough of a scumbag to where people know to keep an eye on him.

Despot
08-04-2007, 12:26 AM
Yeah you can't do anything to the dude until he's done something wrong...at least the law can't.

The only judgement he's up for right now is from society...and hopefully that judgement will be harsh.

Unfortunately this guy isn't going to change because of that...he's a pervert and I doubt that will change...at least he's revealed himself enough of a scumbag to where people know to keep an eye on him.

Not true, he now has a restraining order on him saying he can not go to certain places and be within 30 feet of certain people. The police encouraging the public to call them when they see him, this was before the restraining order. And he also has to go to a court hearing. Is that a violation of his rights? Whether it is his plan or not, I can see him suing for a mint.

I love the fact that he is upset about his pic being put up on the net when he has been doing the same thing to kids.

TheAuthority
08-04-2007, 08:35 AM
If I was this guy, and I was having these people harass me... I would take THEM to court. People can take pictures of whatever the fuck they want, and say whatever the fuck they want. Or at least that's how it's supposed to be, it's a free country. If he's banging little girls, it's different. He's not. Leave the guy be.

Fabbs
08-04-2007, 04:49 PM
Get a group together to stalk this pussy and whatever becomes so be it.

You jellyfish who say leave him be. :rolleyes Invite him over to your mommys basement so he can hang with you.

conversekid
08-04-2007, 06:21 PM
If I say I think about killing everyone, can they stop me from being near anyone?

hmmm... what was the outcry in the VA Tech killing? They "knew" the killer was a danger and did nothing? Well, doesn't that apply here? Personally, I think he should be put to death. If someone put a bullet in him, I wonder what jury would convict them?

ShoogarBear
08-04-2007, 08:52 PM
hmmm... what was the outcry in the VA Tech killing? They "knew" the killer was a danger and did nothing? Well, doesn't that apply here? Personally, I think he should be put to death. If someone put a bullet in him, I wonder what jury would convict them?The VA Tech outcry was 20-20 hindsight. They couldn't have done anything in advnace except recommend he seek psychiatric help, but until he was found to do anything illegal they couldn't have arrested him.

Johnny_Blaze_47
08-14-2007, 01:36 PM
Update: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/20263135/

Self-described pedophile blogger arrested
Police detain man, 45, outside university child care facility in Calif.

Updated: 10:10 a.m. CT Aug 14, 2007

LOS ANGELES - A man who blogs about his attraction to young girls but says he doesn’t touch them was arrested Monday near a university child care facility with a camera, police said.

Jack McClellan, 45, who is unemployed and lives out of his car, was arrested at 1:40 p.m. at the University of California, Los Angeles, campus police said in a statement. He was arrested near the university’s Infant Development Program, which provides onsite care for children 3 months to 3 years old and serves faculty, students and staff, according to the university’s Web site.

McClellan violated a restraining order requiring him not to loiter or congregate within 30 feet of minors, police alleged. He was released and scheduled to appear in court Sept. 13.

Phone and e-mail messages seeking comment from McClellan were not immediately returned.

Web site taken down
McClellan created waves in Southern California upon arriving earlier this summer from Washington state, where he had lived with his parents.

For years, McClellan maintained a Web site in Washington where he posted photos of children he had taken in public places. He also discussed how he liked to stake out parks, public libraries, fast-food restaurants and other areas where little girls, or “LGs,” congregate.

McClellan’s server took his Web site down over a month ago. He said in an interview a few weeks ago that he wasn’t sure whether he would try to put it back up.

McClellan, who said he lives on supplemental security income and suffers from depression, has maintained that he launched the site as a form of therapy and wouldn’t do anything illegal.

Phil Hellmuth
08-14-2007, 01:53 PM
fuk that dude, if there is any group who should have their rights removed, its pedo's.

Jimcs50
08-14-2007, 02:14 PM
There is only one solution for pedophiles. The cops should just put a bullet in each one of their heads and be done with them....there is no cure for these sick individuals, so just wipe them off the face of the planet...it would be doing them and their victims a favor IMO.

ObiwanGinobili
08-14-2007, 02:43 PM
fuck governmental due proccess rights blah blah blah.
I'm all for good old fashioned street justice on this topic.
I wonder if jack bauer is for hire?

Clutch20
08-14-2007, 03:10 PM
Civil Rights vs Children's Rights

Children have little with which to defend themselves.

He may have emboldened borderline pedo's into action due to his internet confessions.

Will Jack McClellan now have to perform his community service behind bars for others his sex and age?

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-22-2007, 10:08 AM
Self-Proclaimed Pedophile Goes Free
By GREG RISLING,AP
Posted: 2007-08-22 09:57:32
Filed Under: Crime News, Nation News
LOS ANGELES (Aug. 22) - A self-described pedophile was released from jail Tuesday after prosecutors dropped a criminal case accusing him of violating a judge's order prohibiting him from being within 30 feet of children anywhere in California for three years.

Prosecutors could not pursue the case against Jack McClellan, 45, after they determined the order was invalid because the judge failed to schedule and give McClellan proper notice of a hearing required to argue the merits of imposing such a long-lasting order before it is issued.

McClellan was arrested Aug. 13 for investigation of violating the order when he was found near a child care center at the University of California, Los Angeles. He had a camera with him at the time, but he told a local TV station that there wasn't any film in it.

McClellan was arrested again - several hours later - this time for trespassing after he did an interview with the TV station on university grounds. He had been told not to return to the campus after his first arrest. Prosecutors did not pursue the trespassing charges.

Superior Court Judge Melvin Sandvig issued the order Aug. 3 requiring McClellan to stay at least 30 feet away from every person under age 18 in California for a three-year period, said Nick Velasquez, a spokesman for the Los Angeles city attorney's office.

A three-year order amounts to what is termed a preliminary injunction, and cannot be issued without the statutory hearing and notice requirements, according to the city attorney's office.

Superior Court spokeswoman Pat Kelly said Sandvig could not comment because the case is pending. A call to his chambers went unanswered late Tuesday.

A cell phone message left for McClellan was not returned.

McClellan is unemployed and has been living out of his car. He stirred controversy in Southern California when he arrived this summer from Washington state, where he had lived with his parents.

McClellan maintained a Web site in Washington where he posted photos of children he had taken in public places. He also discussed how he liked to stake out parks, public libraries, fast-food restaurants and other areas where little girls, or "LGs," congregated.

His server took his Web site down more than a month ago. McClellan, who said he lives on supplemental security income and suffers from depression, has maintained that he launched the site as a form of therapy and wouldn't do anything illegal.

McClellen also has a hearing set for Friday on a temporary restraining order preventing him from coming within 10 yards of children in the city of Santa Clarita in northern Los Angeles County, authorities said.

http://news.aol.com/story/_a/self-proclaimed-pedophile-goes-free/20070822004009990001

Ronaldo McDonald
08-22-2007, 01:03 PM
There is only one solution for pedophiles. The cops should just put a bullet in each one of their heads and be done with them....there is no cure for these sick individuals, so just wipe them off the face of the planet...it would be doing them and their victims a favor IMO.

there is self-control.