PDA

View Full Version : Keyboard/Computer Help

ashbeeigh
07-29-2007, 05:46 PM
Aside from the fact that I can't log onto AIM, MSN messenger, or use Internet Explorer my new computer is lovely. Until today.

I unplugged everything to see if I could get my borken CPU (which is a story in itself) to turn on. That didn't happen, so I plugged everything back in and weas ready to get back to my newly started Vista itunes library...not happenening.

Why? Because my keyboard is lit up Caps lock, scroll lock, and Num Lock keys...and the computer isn't detecting it. So I call my tech support from the computer company. After checking to see if it's because I plugged it in wrong and the BIOS the guy says "Oh, let's look into you buying a new USB keyboard because it sounds like your poirt is broken." What the fuck? My computer is less than 2 months old (I checked for him..June 18th).

So, as computer nerds of Spurstalk...what can I do to resurect my "broken" keyboard and/or port? Should I call them back and yell, just go out and buy a USB keyboard, or god forbid Manny read this, haul it all back to Best Buy?

PM5K
07-29-2007, 06:35 PM
So this is a desktop from Best Buy?

I guess the easiest thing to do would take it to Best Buy, if it's under warranty with them and have them test your keyboard and replace it as necessary...

I don't mean the whole computer, just the keyboard.

ashbeeigh
07-29-2007, 06:40 PM
So this is a desktop from Best Buy?

I guess the easiest thing to do would take it to Best Buy, if it's under warranty with them and have them test your keyboard and replace it as necessary...

I don't mean the whole computer, just the keyboard.

I thought it was a keyboard thing, but now they're saying it's a port thing. :wtf

Fillmoe
07-29-2007, 06:43 PM
http://www.mcbworld.com/mcbworld/images/USB-TO-PS2-adapter2.jpg

buy this for like 2 bucks and stfu....

PM5K
07-29-2007, 06:47 PM
I guess the question is, is it a PS2 or USB keyboard. A PS2 keyboard is more likely to work in a PS2 port than a USB port...

ashbeeigh
07-29-2007, 06:55 PM
and stfu....

That was unnecessary Lots of people ask for help here and I'm one of them. :pctoss

I guess the question is, is it a PS2 or USB keyboard. A PS2 keyboard is more likely to work in a PS2 port than a USB port...

PS2.

PM5K
07-29-2007, 06:59 PM
That was unnecessary Lots of people ask for help here and I'm one of them. :pctoss

PS2.

Yeah I don't see how it's anymore likely to work as a USB keyboard than a PS2 keyboard, it sounds like you may have connected it to the wrong port.

I don't know, your post is a little hard to follow..

ashbeeigh
07-29-2007, 07:23 PM
Yeah I don't see how it's anymore likely to work as a USB keyboard than a PS2 keyboard, it sounds like you may have connected it to the wrong port.

I don't know, your post is a little hard to follow..

Well, what I was thinking, was to do what Fillmoe was saying. Just buy the USB keyboard. My whole tihng was that it's a a two month old computer. Why would a port and/or keyboard break that quickly?

CubanMustGo
07-29-2007, 07:36 PM
If the computer is only two months old, it's still under warranty. If it's a busted PS2 port (it happens) they should replace the whole unit. If it's a busted keyboard, same. To be honest I didn't know that anyone was still shipping systems with PS2 keyboards.

You can borrow a USB keyboard from a friend and plug it in to get around the problem for now.

I work for a major PC manufacturer. If you are getting the runaround from support PM me and tell me what you have, I might be able to help.

Nbadan
07-29-2007, 07:45 PM
Sounds like you bent some of the pins in the keyboard hook-up or your PS2 mouse port on your MB is busted.....a USB keyboard would be the easiest fix if the pins aret broken or bent beyond repair...if it's the MB, I would take it back...