PDA

View Full Version : KG to Boston?

ploto
07-30-2007, 12:19 AM
The on-again, off-again deal with the Boston Celtics acquiring Kevin Garnett apparently is back on.

According to sources, the current deal on the table has the 6-foot-11 Garnett heading to Boston and the Celtics dealing away Al Jefferson, Theo Ratliff's hefty expiring contract and Rajon Rondo. There may also be other players and draft picks involved.

It's not quite done, but three industry sources — including one close to the Celtics — told FOXSports.com that it's extremely close and could become official within the next 48 hours.

"It's basically done," one source said. "If it does happen, this will make the Celtics relevant again."

Celtics boss Danny Ainge attempted to trade for the Minnesota Timberwolves star forward prior to the NBA Draft, but the 31-year-old perennial All-Star had no interest in heading to Boston.

However, things may have changed now that Ainge and the Celtics pulled off the draft day deal with Seattle for Ray Allen.

There have been numerous discussions during the last week between Ainge and Wolves vice president Kevin McHale, who are good friends dating back to their days playing together on the Celtics.

Garnett has the option to get out of his contract — which pays $22 million next season — after the 2008 campaign and become a free agent. He averaged 22.4 points and 12.8 rebounds per game last season — his 12th in the NBA.

Garnett is a 10-time NBA All-Star and was the league's MVP in 2004. He is also one of the better defensive players in the NBA.

The deal would give Ainge a team that could compete with anyone in the Eastern Conference with the trio of Paul Pierce, Garnett and Allen. The Celtics would also have nearly $60 million in salaries between the three players for next season alone.

The Wolves would get one of the league's top young players in the 22-year-old Jefferson, who averaged 16 points and 11 boards in 69 games a year ago, and a second-year point guard in Rondo with plenty of potential. They would also get Ratliff's $11.7 million salary, which will come off the books after this season.

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7073708

Cloud786
07-30-2007, 12:23 AM
Nice deal for Boston. I think Minny should ask for some more pieces and/or pics along with Jefferson & Rondo.

Peter
07-30-2007, 12:24 AM
Boston's offseason won't look so bad if that goes down. With Pierce turning 30 this year and Allen at 32, they might as well take a shot now. Garnett would make them competitive and "relevant" again, but he wouldn't bring another title to Boston.

Leetonidas
07-30-2007, 12:29 AM
OMFG just fucking trade him already! Shit! :pctoss

E20
07-30-2007, 12:35 AM
I feel bad for KG, he's getting used worse than a Chinese massuese in downtown San Fransisco.

Peter
07-30-2007, 12:36 AM
2006-07 salaries:

Pierce $15.1 mil
Allen $14.6 mil
Garnett $21.0 mil
Total $50.7 mil

Yikes. The Spurs' big 3 accounted for $35.2 mil in 2006-07.

Switchman
07-30-2007, 12:38 AM
I don't feel sorry for him anymore. The dude has made over $200 million dollars ffs.

If he really wanted a ring he'd come to us and play for free.

jdaveah
07-30-2007, 12:47 AM
Looks as if it might actually happen this time. If the C's have to give up Big Al, Rondo, AND Green the price could be a touch steep.

Spursfury
07-30-2007, 12:48 AM
This would be a great lift for the once unstoppable Boston Celtics organization. This would definitely put Boston back in the playoff run in the already weak East. Although, I don't think it would make them an instant eastern conference champ, but they would put Boston back in the mix in the east. Boston was on top of the league back in the day, it would be nice to see those guys play together.

x_roux_x
07-30-2007, 02:23 AM
I wont be truly surprised if this goes down but I honestly dont think its beneficial for the celts...i dont think allen, garnett, and pp will be able to put them in the finals at all. And thats in the east...they will lose some young talent and picks and they wont get anywhere really...i mean all three stars would be starting to push it...garnett will be what 31 32? Allen is 32 and pp is about 30...they may have 2 or 3 years with them all together playing at a high level but without other things in that system going the right way I still dont see them as anything other than a first or second round loser if that. My opinion. But i guess I cant blame them for trying to go for it now...but it wont happen. If this happens i just feel even more sorry for garnett and to a lesser extent allen.

Avitus1
07-30-2007, 02:25 AM
OMFG just fucking trade him already! Shit! :pctoss

Agreed

timvp
07-30-2007, 02:50 AM
I'm not even sure I'd trade Al Jefferson for KG. That said, Boston is now so old they don't have time to wait for Jefferson to hit his full potential. Sounds like a pretty good trade for both sides. Although if Boston doesn't at least make the Finals with that trio, the trade will look horrible in a couple seasons for them.

whottt
07-30-2007, 03:17 AM
KG, Pierce and Ray Allen look like a pretty damn good core to me. It's not like they won't still have young talent after the trade, if the trade details in the article are fairly accurate...besides, the Celtics have been rebuilding since Bird retired...I'm pretty sure they've had their fill of wait till next year.

On paper I don't see anyone that can stop that team in the East, and they won't be easy for anyone in the West either. On paper, they look like championship contenders, but they definitely have a small window of opportunity....and there's no substitute for experience playing together.

timvp
07-30-2007, 03:20 AM
Celtics in 4.....

whottt
07-30-2007, 03:26 AM
Butler & Scola>KG

whottt
07-30-2007, 03:28 AM
Link?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-30-2007, 04:21 AM
I'm not even sure I'd trade Al Jefferson for KG. That said, Boston is now so old they don't have time to wait for Jefferson to hit his full potential. Sounds like a pretty good trade for both sides. Although if Boston doesn't at least make the Finals with that trio, the trade will look horrible in a couple seasons for them.

Agreed. Boston lost half their pieces in the Allen trade and needed to make another blockbuster to try and do something in Pierce's window. KG+Allen+Pierce equals playoffs if they can get a decent distributing PG and Doc Rivers doesn't mess it up.

After the 2nd decadal Boston draft fiasco (see Simmons, Bill), Boston needed to go either full-on rebuild or shop everything they had and put together some big deals. I would have done the former, they did the latter, and if they do this deal they have a 1 year window to prove something with those three. They're doing a Redsox and going for instant gratification rather than building around Jefferson, and in doing so are mortgaging their future.

I think they'll be interesting next year and flame out in the second round, then KG will head somewhere else, Allen's ankles will pack it in and they'll have to trade Pierce for prospects and go into full rebuild mode. That will also be the end of Rivers and Ainge, and Bill Simmons will be found on the ledge of a tall building, mumbling incoherently with a torn Celtics #44 in his fists. Book it.

The_Game
07-30-2007, 04:57 AM
Boston become instant contenders and clear favourites to win the east if they get KG. A Pierce, Allen, Garnett trio will be very dangerous and tough to stop. this would be a great deal for the Celtics.

Bruno
07-30-2007, 05:08 AM
Draftexpress (not the most reliable source) says that Rondo isn't in the trade. They said that the trade should be something like Jefferson, Green, Telfair and Ratliff for KG.

If Rondo isn't in the deal and if Boston sign a PG like Brevin Knight, Boston will be the best team in the east and the fourth best nba team behind Spurs, Suns and Mavs.

They will have a very solid 8 men rotation with Rondo, Knight, Ray Allen, Tony Allen, Pierce, Garnett, Gomes and Perkins.

After that you just need to fill the roster with some role players like Powe, Scalabrine, a 6 foul to give center (like Cato or Pollard) and a swingman who can shoot and defend (like Eddie Jones or Udoka).

Streakyshooter08
07-30-2007, 05:57 AM
If they manage to keep Rondo it would be a good trade for Boston. With Allan and Pierce having only a couple of years left they should try to win right now. A lineup of:

Rondo
Allan
Pierce
Garnett
Perkins

looks really good! If they would add Knight and/ or Udoka with the MLE they would be a great team in the east.

kingmalaki
07-30-2007, 07:22 AM
Come on y'all...I know basketball is a team sport but it has been proven that if you have two stars on one squad that you can field a really competitive team. If the Celts get KG, Pierce and Allen and they all stay healthy they should really contend in the East of all places....

anakha
07-30-2007, 07:30 AM
Agreed. Boston lost half their pieces in the Allen trade and needed to make another blockbuster to try and do something in Pierce's window. KG+Allen+Pierce equals playoffs if they can get a decent distributing PG and Doc Rivers doesn't mess it up.

Therein lies the problem.

From what I've read on other sites, the Celtics seem to be including Rajon Rondo in the deal. If Rondo goes, Boston will be left with Sebastian freaking Telfair as their main point guard right now. That doesn't exactly fill me with a lot of confidence in the Celtics' chances of coming out of the East.

The really worrisome point of this trade is that KG comes with no guarantees of staying beyond one year. If this trade pushes through, Boston needs to show major results this year, or end up 12 months from now with no inside presence whatsoever.

In other words, Simmons better be praying to all the Celtic leprechauns that Pierce and Allen's bodies hold up for the whole season. Especially Allen's newly-operated ankles. Otherwise, KG walks and Boston gets screwed again.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
07-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Draftexpress (not the most reliable source) says that Rondo isn't in the trade. They said that the trade should be something like Jefferson, Green, Telfair and Ratliff for KG.

If Rondo isn't in the deal and if Boston sign a PG like Brevin Knight, Boston will be the best team in the east and the fourth best nba team behind Spurs, Suns and Mavs.

They will have a very solid 8 men rotation with Rondo, Knight, Ray Allen, Tony Allen, Pierce, Garnett, Gomes and Perkins.

After that you just need to fill the roster with some role players like Powe, Scalabrine, a 6 foul to give center (like Cato or Pollard) and a swingman who can shoot and defend (like Eddie Jones or Udoka).

Great analysis as always, Bruno. :tu

Anakha - my final paragraph totally agrees with you.

The_Game
07-30-2007, 07:34 AM
Telfair is the one in the deal, not Rondo.

Testing
07-30-2007, 07:46 AM
I would think Wolves could do better than that for KG...guess not. Good trade for the Celtics though.

tiga
07-30-2007, 09:16 AM
so...

there is a chance kg and td meet in the nba finals ?

:worthy:

venitian navigator
07-30-2007, 09:37 AM
I would think Wolves could do better than that for KG...guess not. Good trade for the Celtics though.

I also think it's a bad trade for Minnesota...and that they could have had something more!!!
Telfair has been, till now, just a talented problem; Green just a talented leaper, not player; Ratliff an ex talented ('cause injured) shot-blocker.

Given Garnett's age, the trade could became a little more "even" if the Celts put in also, let's say, two or three first choices. Let's say their first choices in 2008 and 2010 draft...
Otherwise is all in Celtics favor...!!!

Dirk Nowitzki
07-30-2007, 09:55 AM
The Wolves just need to stop being so damn picky. They want so much for KG but they wont get it. They need to realize that. That franchise is a piece of shit and they are going to be worse regardless of if they keep KG or not. You might as well get something of decent value to start rebuilding. Telfair has potiential and he is cheap so he is worth the risk. Al Jefferson is also young and has potiential. Gerald Green is also young with talent. Add that to an nice expiring contract. 3 young players with potiential,picks and an expiring contract. Just face it Mchale, you are fucked either way on this but you might as well bite the bullet and take what you can get.

ShoogarBear
07-30-2007, 09:56 AM
The really worrisome point of this trade is that KG comes with no guarantees of staying beyond one year. If this trade pushes through, Boston needs to show major results this year, or end up 12 months from now with no inside presence whatsoever.
More than that, if Boston doesn't make the Finals this year, the trade will have been a major disaster for them, because KG will be gone (and he may be gone no matter what).

In 3 years Celtic fans will be looking back longingly to the ML Carr 15-win glory days.

da_suns_fan__
07-30-2007, 10:12 AM
Suns and Celtics would be ratings GOLD!!!

Mitch Cumsteen
07-30-2007, 10:15 AM
More than that, if Boston doesn't make the Finals this year, the trade will have been a major disaster for them, because KG will be gone (and he may be gone no matter what).

In 3 years Celtic fans will be looking back longingly to the ML Carr 15-win glory days.
KG is not opting out of the last year of his deal. There's no way in hell he's going to give up $24M when nobody else can pay him a fraction of that. So, at the very least they get him for 2 years. Plus, the will be able to re-sign him at more money than anybody else. If we know anything about KG, it's that he's going take as much money as possible, no matter what.

Regardless, at this point, I don't think either of these teams has a choice. Boston made their bed when they traded for Ray Allen. They gave up all hope for rebuilding through youth and decided to make a land grab. In the crappy East, it's probably not too bad of a decision. They could legitimately make the Finals with those 3 guys. They would have probably 3 of the best 8-10 players in the East. But once they gave up the #5 pick, their fate was sealed. They couldn't half-ass rebuild and half-ass trade the #5 pick for an aging 2 guard. It made no sense strategically.

At the same time, Minnesota has no choice either. They've got to dump Garnett and get anything they can for him. The reality is that there is nobody else that can/will take him. Phoenix is already capped out and it cost them 2 first rounders to dump an $8M expiring contract. There's no way their taking on KG's salary. The only other real options are Golden State, who just doesn't seem interested and the Lakers, who don't have enough pieces.

Both these teams are between a rock and hard place. This deal is going to get done, one way or another.

coachmac87
07-30-2007, 10:26 AM
if the trade goes down..pencil in boston in the finals. and if this trade happens it just shows how much brains kevin mchale has..he and the damn scarecrow have the same amount of knowledge...i would hate to be a twolves fan right now..what about all the season ticket holders?? why would anybody want to see them play?? this can become the atlanta hawks all over again!! if this trade goes down the wolves are bascially saying that they have no intrest in trying to win and how the west is sooooo deep and strong...they wont make the playoffs in 5 years minimum..wolves are complete failure...damn must suck to be a wolves fan :depressed

worm9110
07-30-2007, 10:32 AM
Finally some exciting trade news in the NBA. Man, if this happens for the Celtics it would be huge for them. Pierce, Garrnet, Allen!!! Damn. The East really needs a powerhouse like this. All the current powerhouses are in the West. So this would be huge for the Celtics and the Eastern Conference.

lotr1trekkie
07-30-2007, 10:33 AM
Hopefully KG will not be traded to one of our rivals. That said Pierce, Allen and Garnett are are hi maintenance scorers. Who's going to sacrifice shots for the team good? Who's going to play D for Pierce and Allen? If completed the the Celts will become Suns East and nothing more. On paper that big three are better than our big 3 but I would't trade any one of ours for those guys even if they worked for half price.

SpursDynasty
07-30-2007, 10:40 AM
This is the kind of stuff that bugs me about offseasons - "Big names" on underachieved teams who are "unwilling" to move. Garnett can make the playoffs in the East, yet in the West his team finishes 10th place at best - do it! I don't know why some of these so-called "big names" are so stubborn and unwilling to try new situations. It's not rocket science. All of these players that want to stay on the same damn teams their entire career without trying some new, if they haven't won a championship yet, they probably won't.

worm9110
07-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Hopefully KG will not be traded to one of our rivals. That said Pierce, Allen and Garnett are are hi maintenance scorers. Who's going to sacrifice shots for the team good? Who's going to play D for Pierce and Allen? If completed the the Celts will become Suns East and nothing more. On paper that big three are better than our big 3 but I would't trade any one of ours for those guys even if they worked for half price.

True I wouldnt trade any of those guys for any of our big three either. But this does look big for Boston. KG is as great of a defensive threat as he is on the offesive side of the ball. Leave alot of the scoring to Pierce and Allen-get a center in their to fill up the middle and plays some descent defensive and you dont have to worry about Pierce and Allen playing alot of defense. There is still some descent centers on the free agent list- Chris Webber rings a bell! I am assuming the Celtics are going to have to trade alot for KG...so they will probuly have roster spots open...and what player wouldnt want to play with a team like this.

BeerIsGood!
07-30-2007, 10:46 AM
Outside of an overrated Garnett, I still don't see who will play any lick of defense in Boston. Allen and Pierce on the court at the same time = opponents with a clear path to the basket.

Probably still good enough to get through the East, but that team would be abused Cav style by the top 3 teams in the west.

MarCowMar
07-30-2007, 10:50 AM
The Wolves won't win a lot of games but I'd enjoy watching Foye/Brewer/Jefferson develop.

Switchman
07-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Outside of an overrated Garnett, I still don't see who will play any lick of defense in Boston. Allen and Pierce on the court at the same time = opponents with a clear path to the basket.

Probably still good enough to get through the East, but that team would be abused Cav style by the top 3 teams in the west.

They would be 5x better than the Cavs. How many games would the Cavs have one against us if they actually had some good players? At least 2 of them. There is no way Allen, Peirce, and Garnett all go on a "I can't hit shit for the entire game" streak like the Cavs did.

phxspurfan
07-30-2007, 10:54 AM
2006-07 salaries:

Pierce $15.1 mil
Allen $14.6 mil
Garnett $21.0 mil
Total $50.7 mil

Yes, but this Big Three is better at every position besides PF (and Garnett can match Duncan's productivity, on a good day).

BeerIsGood!
07-30-2007, 10:59 AM
They would be 5x better than the Cavs. How many games would the Cavs have one against us if they actually had some good players? At least 2 of them. There is no way Allen, Peirce, and Garnett all go on a "I can't hit shit for the entire game" streak like the Cavs did.

The Cavs played defense. The Celtics would not. The games would be higher scoring, but either the Spurs or Suns would smoke that Celtics team due to a complete lack of defense. Sure they could score fairly well, but they can't stop anyone.

worm9110
07-30-2007, 11:04 AM
I agree the Celtics sucked at defensive but there is still hope for them. KG and a descent big man in the middle who only cares about defensive and shoot blocking would help their defensive game.

Testing
07-30-2007, 11:39 AM
Yes, but this Big Three is better at every position besides PF (and Garnett can match Duncan's productivity, on a good day).

:lmao You think Ray Allen and Paul Pierce are better than Parker and Ginobili????? What is this based on? Because from what I see, 2 of those players have 3 rings, 1 Olympic gold medal, 1 Finals MVP, 1 Euro MVP, and countless clutch shots and big game performances in the playoffs.

anakha
07-30-2007, 11:41 AM
I agree the Celtics sucked at defensive but there is still hope for them. KG and a descent big man in the middle who only cares about defensive and shoot blocking would help their defensive game.

Yes, but if Ratliff goes in the trade, then Boston better hope Kedrick Perkins is ready to give them major minutes and good production at center, because he's the only decent one they have.

But what about Olowakandi, you say?

Take note, I said 'decent'. :lol

anakha
07-30-2007, 11:46 AM

I dunno, I think Pierce is a pretty underrated defender - in all of the Boston games I've watched, he's always been the one to take on the main scoring swingman of the opposing team.

While I wouldn't consider him a great defender by any means, I'd say the guy is capable of holding his own.

Allen, on the other hand, I totally agree with - guy's been pretty much a matador on defense the past few seasons. Ole! :lol

phxspurfan
07-30-2007, 11:47 AM
from what I see, 2 of those players have 3 rings, 1 Olympic gold medal, 1 Finals MVP, 1 Euro MVP, and countless clutch shots and big game performances in the playoffs.

Let me break it down very simply:

Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker have won in the NBA because they have played alongside Tim Duncan. If Tim weren't on this team, they wouldn't get nearly as many open shots or opportunities to drive the lane. They also would not be able to funnel all opposing slashers to the baseline (toward Tim) the way they do now.

Testing
07-30-2007, 11:56 AM

Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker have won in the NBA because they have played alongside Tim Duncan. If Tim weren't on this team, they wouldn't get nearly as many open shots or opportunities to drive the lane. They also would not be able to funnel all opposing slashers to the baseline (toward Tim) the way they do now.

:lol You're right, I forgot that Tim Duncan played for Argentina's gold medal winning team.

And I also forgot all those games where Parker/Ginobili were the first option, or those games were Duncan fouled out/was injured and Parker/Ginobili still carried them to wins. I also forgot all those games where Duncan plays the entire 48 minutes alongside Parker/Ginobili to help them have open looks all game long. :rolleyes

Paul Pierce and Ray Allen are scorers. That is it. They do nothing else (well Pierce rebounds). They aren't leaders, they aren't defenders, they aren't energizers, they aren't the best finishers around the hoop. What have they done in their careers that warrants this? And the argument that Duncan is the reason why parker/Ginobili are good is quite over-rated.....especially with the current way the SPurs run their offense and plays.

I dont even like them and I see this!

TDMVPDPOY
07-30-2007, 12:01 PM
cant wait to see KG choke with ray in the east

florige
07-30-2007, 12:02 PM
The Cavs played defense. The Celtics would not. The games would be higher scoring, but either the Spurs or Suns would smoke that Celtics team due to a complete lack of defense. Sure they could score fairly well, but they can't stop anyone.

Thats what I'm thinking too. A poor man's Phx.

phxspurfan
07-30-2007, 12:11 PM
:lol You're right, I forgot that Tim Duncan played for Argentina's gold medal winning team.

Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker have won in the NBA because...

Now that I've taught you how to read posts, try again.

smrattler
07-30-2007, 12:13 PM
I like this move. Should result in a good team coming out of the East. I hate giving a team on paper props, but they have all season to work it out and get chemistry out there. So, that means it should take a really good balanced team to beat them and come out of the East. Or we'll see KG cheat on getting to the Finals by going East. :)

phxspurfan
07-30-2007, 12:14 PM
This team looks like last year's Nuggets. It should take them at least half a season to gel and discover an identity. Good thing they're in the east, where WNBA teams can make the playoffs.

The_Game
07-30-2007, 12:14 PM
Some idiotic comments here

Celtics will be far better defensively than people here are stating

Rondo is a good defender as is Pierce, Allen is below average I agree but KG is an all NBA defender. One of the best in the league. They have guys who can defend. That won't be a huge problem for them.

Paul Pierce and Ray Allen are scorers. That is it.

If you think thats true then so are Parker and Manu. Neither are great one on one defenders. They play team defense. Pierce and Allen play a more balenced game than Parker and Manu. It's the fact they have duncan and Pop to lead them

wildbill2u
07-30-2007, 12:35 PM
2006-07 salaries:

Pierce $15.1 mil
Allen $14.6 mil
Garnett $21.0 mil
Total $50.7 mil

If all their other players played for the minimum, wouldn't that put them over the cap? How could they afford these salaries and not pay a hefty luxury tax?

Or is that irrelevant in a big market like Boston (New England)?

mountainballer
07-30-2007, 12:47 PM
Paul Pierce and Ray Allen are scorers. That is it. They do nothing else (well Pierce rebounds). They aren't leaders, they aren't defenders, they aren't energizers, they aren't the best finishers around the hoop. What have they done in their careers that warrants this?

are you sure you are talking about Paul Pierce? ok, Allen is more or less just a scorer (but a very good one), but PP?
it sounds as if you describe Ben Gordon. or Ricky Davis.
if you didn't mix things up it would mean, that you have never ever seen Pierce play.
I'm neither a PP fan, nor a Celtics fan, but I prefer to describe players as what they are. downplay their qualities for whatever reason is just stupid.

BeerIsGood!
07-30-2007, 12:53 PM
Some idiotic comments here

Celtics will be far better defensively than people here are stating

Rondo is a good defender as is Pierce, Allen is below average I agree but KG is an all NBA defender. One of the best in the league. They have guys who can defend. That won't be a huge problem for them.

If you think thats true then so are Parker and Manu. Neither are great one on one defenders. They play team defense. Pierce and Allen play a more balenced game than Parker and Manu. It's the fact they have duncan and Pop to lead them

I've never been a KG fan. I feel he's overrated, and on that team he'll have to be the leader. He'll have to be the guy who anchors the team - and that's a horrible position for him to be in. He hasn't been a great leader in 12 seasons, I don't see any reason why he'll start now.

Rondo - isn't he going to Minny in the trade?

Excellent team defense comes from a dedication to a team defensive system coupled with the right players to make it work. The Celtics will come a bit closer to having the players than they are now, but they still don't have the system. Doc Rivers isn't a defensive coach. Without the system - they're going to be mediocre to shitty on defense.

spurs_fan_in_exile
07-30-2007, 01:00 PM
It's a ballsy move, if it happens. They should be a force in the east, but I don't buy them as a legit contender for a title. If they don't make a very deep run this year I wouldn't be surprised if KG opted out. With that much cap space tied up they aren't going to be able to improve much if they don't get it done this season.

mardigan
07-30-2007, 01:53 PM
If LeBron and the trash around him can make the Finals, I would imagine Pierce, Garnett and Allen could do the same surrounded by whatever scraps they put around them.And if they get to keep either Rondo or Green that would be one other pretty good piece on the floor.

Spurs Brazil
07-30-2007, 02:41 PM
http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47389/20070730/garnetts_agent_talking_to_celtics_deal_could_be_do ne_by_afternoon/

Garnett's Agent Talking To Celtics; Deal Could Be Done By Afternoon
July 30, 2007 - 1:17 pm
The Boston Globe -
The Celtics and Timberwolves could complete a deal that would send Kevin Garnett to Boston as early as this afternoon.

"There are serious discussions in place," the agent for Garnett, Andy Miller, said about his own negotiations with Danny Ainge and the Celtics.

One major issue for both sides to hash out is the $24 million player option Garnett holds for the 2008-2009 season. The Celtics do not want to give up a young talent like Al Jefferson if Garnett leaves after one season.

If Garnett agrees to exercise his option for the 2008-2009 season as a condition of the trade, the Celtics could extend Garnett's contract into the 2009-2010 season and beyond.

When asked about the option and his client's desire to play in Boston, Miller said: "Part of the discussion that is taking place is addressing those issues as well as others to see if the destination makes sense for all parties. Everything is part of the overall picture as to how to bring this to a conclusion or go in a different direction." [READ]

Mark in Austin
07-30-2007, 02:43 PM
If (when) Doc Rivers can't win with this group in the east, he should be permanently banned from coaching.

Fernando TD21
07-30-2007, 03:21 PM
If the trade is done, I think the Celtics will be great... in the east.

Spurs Brazil
07-30-2007, 03:22 PM
This deal would be great for the NBA
Patrick Cassidy
Dime Magazine, Updated 2 hours ago STORY TOOLS:

print
send
blog LIKE THIS STORY?

In case you're just getting to the office or sitting down in front of your computer and you haven't heard, there are rumors everywhere this morning that the Celtics and T-Wolves have agreed in principle to trade KG to Beantown for Al Jefferson, Sebastian Telfair, Gerald Green and picks.

In the grand scheme of things, this would be great for the NBA and for basketball in general. There is really no denying this.
To sum up:

This deal, for a little while at least, would push the Tim Donaghy mess to wayside.

It would make one of sports' most storied franchises relevant again.

It might even make the entire Eastern Conference relevant again.
LeBron James took a squad featuring marginal-at-best NBA talent to the NBA Finals last season. I'd be shocked if a team rocking Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and KG wasn't an overwhelming favorite to represent the East in the Finals next season.

And what's more, that lineup would be no cakewalk for an opponent like the Spurs, Suns or Mavs, like the Cavs were in this past season's Finals. And who wouldn't want to watch three hungry NBA superstars, all on the back nine of their careers, put it all on the line for their last run at a chip? (Although, truth be told, those three would probably have a few years where they can all still play at an elite enough level to try and get it done ... assuming KG re-signs after next season.)

advertisement
STORY TOOLS:

print
send
blog LIKE THIS STORY?

This trade would be great for Garnett. I know he made it obvious earlier in the summer that he wanted no part of Boston, but all reports describe him as "warming" to the idea Monday morning. No doubt he's warming because he knows how quickly he could find himself with a legit shot at a ring. KG's no fool. He saw what LeBron did this year.

As for Kevin re-signing with Boston? At the end of the day, KG wants to win. If he gets a real taste of that running with P-Double and Ray, he wouldn't be going anywhere.

Whether or not he thinks he'll like the city is another story. But you know what? I'm pretty sure that when he realized back in the day that he was headed to Minnesota, he wasn't exactly jumping for joy either. Obviously, I understand the specter of social issues at work whenever Boston and non-white professional athletes are put together, but I will also say that there are idiots everywhere, not just in Boston. He will be loved in Beantown

http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7073920

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-30-2007, 04:18 PM
Sources saying Garnett deal is done
Posted by Steve Bulpett at 12:06 pm

Sources this morning are confirming that the Celtics’ deal for Kevin Garnett is essentially completed.

One involved source said the final package will have the Celts sending Al Jefferson, Ryan Gomes, Gerald Green, Sebastian Telfair, Theo Ratliff and a No. 1 pick to Minnesota to acquire Garnett.

Further word is that the Celts and Garnett have reached an agreement in principle on a contract extension. You may recall a report here that Danny Ainge would not do the deal without such a guarantee of Garnett’s presence, and it appears now that the perennial All-Star is willing to forego the opt-out in his current deal for next summer and cast his lot with Paul Pierce, Ray Allen and the Celtics.

http://www.bostonherald.com/blogs/celtics/?p=117

Bruno
07-30-2007, 04:27 PM
Boston need to keep Gomes.
If they trade him, they will need to get a good PF or hope that Powe or Big Baby are ready to contribute.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-30-2007, 04:33 PM
LOL LeBron just stained his diapers.

2centsworth
07-30-2007, 05:21 PM
per yahoo this deal is official

SequSpur
07-30-2007, 09:24 PM
i think the twolves are writing off the next season or two... there is no other explanation needed... can't blame them... time to rebuild.

merge..