PDA

View Full Version : Monroe: Late rally stuns Spurs

Solid D
12-10-2004, 01:17 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121004.1C.BKNspurs.rockets.gamer.2077cc8.html

Late rally stuns Spurs
Web Posted: 12/10/2004 12:00 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

HOUSTON — It took a remarkable combination of unlikely occurrences for the Houston Rockets even to have a chance to score 13 points in the final 35 seconds Thursday night to defeat the Spurs 81-80 at the Toyota Center.

Mostly, it took unreal shooting by Tracy McGrady. McGrady, the two-time NBA scoring champion, made four 3-point shots and scored 13 points in the final 35 seconds, including a 26-footer with 1.7seconds remaining, to send the Spurs to San Antonio with a second loss in as many nights.

The Spurs, for their part, were disheartened after watching a game that seemed to be in their grasp — they were up 10 with 1:02 remaining — snatched away by McGrady's heroics.

McGrady got the ball a final time after Spurs guard Devin Brown fell down in the corner of the Spurs' frontcourt with 7.9 seconds remaining, the Spurs leading 80-78. Brown had received an in-bounds pass from Brent Barry on a play started with 11.2 seconds remaining.

Brown was about to be double-teamed by Scott Padgett and Ryan Bowen when he spun to his right and slipped. As he lost control of the ball, he could only watch in horror as it rolled right into McGrady's hands.

McGrady headed straight upcourt when he picked up Brown's fumble. Though the Rockets didn't need a 3-pointer to tie, McGrady pulled up 26 feet away, nevertheless, and who could blame him?

"Man, to be honest with you this really hasn't hit me yet," McGrady said when asked about his scoring binge, "but what am I thinking? I'm just thinking, 'Don't quit. Just get the ball up and just try to get a shot off. When they take the ball out, try to get a steal. And if we don't get a steal, foul and put them on the free-throw line.'"

Ordinarily, putting the Spurs on the line in a close game is great strategy. The Spurs have been better this season than last, when they were last in the NBA in free-throw percentage, but their 72.1 percentage heading into the game still ranked 26th out of 30 teams.

This time, the Spurs were perfect on six free throws in the final 44 seconds, and they made 7 of 8 in the final minute.

None of it mattered, though, because McGrady could not miss from long range — and two of his 3-pointers came from 3 feet behind the line.

The most damaging was a 3-pointer that turned into a rare four-point play. McGrady pump-faked Tim Duncan off his feet, leaned into him to make sure there was contact and tossed up an off-balance shot as he was falling down.

It went in, and he was perfect on the free throw, too, trimming a seven-point Spurs lead to three with 24.3 seconds left.

The Spurs contributed to McGrady's heroics by committing two turnovers in the final 47 seconds. Even worse than Brown's slip at the end was an errant inbounds pass by Tony Parker after a basket by Yao Ming. It went straight to Padgett, who dunked it just three seconds after Yao's score.

"I thought we got a little sloppy, obviously, down the stretch," Spurs coach Gregg Popovich said, "and Tracy took advantage of it and was unbelievable.

"End of story."

It wasn't quite that simple, and Popovich knew it.

"A lot of things had to happen for that outcome in the game," he said. "I think we took eight or 10 free throws down the stretch and didn't miss a one, but a couple of sloppy passes, and Devin Brown caught the ball at the end and had to be fouled, and he fell down.
"All those things had to happen, and Tracy had to make all those shots. And he got Timmy in an awkward way and made the four-point play down the stretch."

Duncan regretted going for McGrady's fake but said there was little he could do to avoid contact once he left his feet.

"He pump-faked me and I went for it, and he jumped into me," Duncan said. "It was a great play by him."

Popovich most regretted that his club's effort and defensive intensity — before that final burst the Spurs had been as stingy as they had been all season — went for naught.

"That's an awful lot of stuff to have to happen," Popovich said, "but we contributed and Tracy was great."
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
[email protected]

T Park
12-10-2004, 01:20 AM
It is, an almost unexplainable loss.

One you throw your hands up and say, "Whatever, move on"

I hope this just doesnt put the team in a funk.

Thats the LAST thing this team needs.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-10-2004, 01:21 AM
None of the sloppy passing would have mattered if you would have told the guys to foul Tmac on the floor before he could shoot.

Oh yeah, you've got a bench, it's okay to use it. Indy played more guys in the aftermath of the suspensions than we played any meaningful minutes tonight.

T Park
12-10-2004, 01:27 AM
None of the sloppy passing would have mattered if you would have told the guys to foul Tmac on the floor before he could shoot

send him to the free throw line?

interesting.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-10-2004, 01:32 AM
Why not? So he gets two freebies, makes them both. We start the last possession (where Devin lost the ball) up three.

Hell, we lose the ball there, I foul him again before he can pull up to shoot. Unless something weird happens on a make one, miss one type thing, game is over.

T Park
12-10-2004, 01:34 AM
the shot to give them the lead, was not something Id go nuts over.

a pull up 35 footer??

SOmetimes, when it goes in, it goes in in bunches.

As is life.

Move on.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-10-2004, 01:49 AM
I'm not talking about the one that won it for them, I'm talking the one where we feebily doubled Tmac on the inbounds, then let him pull up over Bowen to hit the three to pull within two.

Put him on the line, he makes both and you've got a three point lead. That would have greatly changed the dynamics of the game, and like I said you could even end it by fouling him as soon as he crossed half court (should the turnover by Devin have still occurred).

GrandeDavid
12-10-2004, 06:12 AM
That game was a real $#@% sucker. Oh well, it happened. Let's take all these losses and wins with loads of salt. The real season does not even begin until May, and we all know that by May, this and several other losses will have been forgotten.

Sec24Row7
12-10-2004, 09:36 AM
I was there... it was the most unbelievable performance I have ever seen.

Amazing.

I am a die hard spurs fan and walked away grinning from ear to ear.

Solid D
12-10-2004, 12:19 PM
This is the type of comeback, trading 3 for 2 every trip, that all coaches hope for when they intentionally foul and drag out games. This gives new data and hope for all coaches everywhere for years to come.

Essentially, two 4-point trips and three 3-point trips = 17 points in 54 seconds (I count the Ming score and Padgett steal/dunk within 3 seconds as 1 trip since the Spurs didn't advance the ball).

Although the Spurs didn't miss any shots in this timeframe, they turn it over twice.

Anatomy of a Comeback
Time Play HOU SA
0:52 Yao follow dunk 66 74
0:47 Padgett steal and dunk 68 74
0:44 Brown two free throws 68 76
0:35 McGrady 3-pointer 71 76
0:31 Brown two free throws 71 78
0:24 McGrady 4-point play 75 78
0:16 Duncan two free throws 75 80
0:11 McGrady 3-pointer 78 80
0:07 McGrady steal from Brown 78 80
0:01 McGrady 3-pointer 81 80
0:00 Parker miss from halfcourt 81 80

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-10-2004, 12:27 PM
A great example of why you're never out of a game in the NBA and why no lead is ever safe.

I'm not sure why people want Jack back, Devin Brown is doing a pretty good imitation. . .some great clutch shooting and costly turnovers in critical situations. I'm experiencing deja vu.

As for Tony throwing the ball away. . .he's French, and we all know the French are famous for surrendering. So don't blame him for the loss, you can't mess with a person's genetic makeup.

Solid D
12-10-2004, 12:30 PM
:lol @ Helicopter

Kori Ellis
12-10-2004, 12:31 PM
I'm not sure why people want Jack back, Devin Brown is doing a pretty good imitation. . .some great clutch shooting and costly turnovers in critical situations

That's not really fair. Devin messed up last night, but he's no where close to Jack regarding turnovers and bonehead moves.

Solid D
12-10-2004, 12:37 PM
Actually, Devin said he was pushed in the lower back by Padgett and in looking at the tape, Padgett does appear to have his hand on Devin's lower back as Devin is doing his low spin move and then Scott pulls it back like he didn't do anything. It's still on Devin, though, on that play.

Regardless, Devin will learn from this, as will Tony and Tim and Manu and Malik and Brent and Bruce - all participants during that timeframe.

Manu20
12-10-2004, 12:39 PM
Brown will learn from this mistake. Is not like is was all his fault.

1. Duncan's foul on T Mac
2. Parker's horrundus inbound pass.
3. T Mac cought Fire.

Ed Helicopter Jones
12-10-2004, 12:43 PM
I saw three mistakes by Devin that made me cringe a little last night...two in the third quarter and then that last minute turnover.

He's definitely not at SJax' level when it comes to bonehead plays. Plus, Devin is obviously learning from the mistakes he makes. You can tell he's picking up the NBA game pretty fast.

I just said what I said because I caught myself screaming at him through the TV screen a couple of times last night in a manner reminiscent of the days of Jack.

I'd take Devin over Jack if we were picking teams, there's no doubt.

CHAMPS AGAIN
12-10-2004, 02:16 PM
I wonder how many Rockets fans left at the 1:35 minute mark and miss the whole thing that is why I always stay till the end, winning or losing.

GoSpurs21
12-10-2004, 02:25 PM
Why not? So he gets two freebies, makes them both. We start the last possession (where Devin lost the ball) up three.

Hell, we lose the ball there, I foul him again before he can pull up to shoot. Unless something weird happens on a make one, miss one type thing, game is over.Are you sure about the two freebies? If you try to foul him anywhere on the court and he throws the ball at the rim why wouldn't he get 3 free throws?

Sportcamper
12-10-2004, 02:40 PM
Tracy McGrady made four 3-point shots and scored 13 points in the final 35 seconds, including a 26-footer with 1.7seconds remaining...

From a basketball standpoint...did anyone enjoy his performance?

The guy is spectacular...I just like to watch Tracy McGrady play... :smokin

boutons
12-10-2004, 02:43 PM
"some great clutch shooting and costly turnovers in critical situations"

Great parallel! I remember one comment about SJax that he was able to keep both teams in the game! :)

ALVAREZ6
12-10-2004, 06:37 PM
This ending was crazy, Tmac is so damn clutch, he hits 3's with anyone in front of him with ease. He makes it seam so easy and effortless. No matter his positioning, he hits shots every single way possible.

This loss was terrible, you can't let one man destroy you that bad, i mean Timmy fouling him barely, if your gonna foul that clutch of a player in that time of a critical game, make sure u either block his shot or foul him harder than that so he misses the shot.

and WTF did Devin do at the very end??
catches the inbound, runs baseline and falls on his face...what a great way to end the game!