PDA

View Full Version : I don't really work on mental training much anymore (dirk)

ducks
07-30-2007, 08:38 AM
Nowitzki's MVP counts for little in homeland

July 29, 2007
ZOFINGEN, SWITZERLAND (TICKER) -- Dirk Nowitzki would love to think his NBA Most Valuable Player award could inspire a new generation of basketball players in Germany, but the Dallas Mavericks star admits the game faces an uphill battle in his homeland.

"My MVP title surely helped to make basketball more popular in Germany, and the same thing goes for the good results of our national team," he told Swiss newspaper Neue Luzerner Zeitung. "But the fact remains - Germany is and always will be a soccer nation."

Nowitzki is in Switzerland where he attended the Swiss All-Star Basketball Camp in Zofingen this week. However, his attentions are mostly focused on the EuroBasket in September.

"What's important is that we have a good EuroBasket this summer in Spain," he said.

"I'm trying to get myself back to the physical condition I was in at the end of the (NBA) season. I don't really work on mental training much anymore since I think I'm strong enough in that regard."

Nowitzki won the MVP crown on the back of another fine season for the Mavericks, averaging 24.6 points and 8.9 rebounds per game as Dallas set the best record in the regular-season.

The 29-year-old believes he can continue to compete at the NBA level for several more seasons, but would consider playing in Germany towards the end of his career.

"You should never say never," he said. "Let's see what happens when I'm 36 years old and still want to play basketball but am not fit enough for the NBA."

http://sports.yahoo.com/nba/news;_yl...v=st&type=lgns

trueD
07-30-2007, 08:59 AM
I don't really work on mental training much anymore since I think I'm strong enough in that regard."

Sounds just like a backpeddle on his [paraphrased] "I'm a mental wimp" comment he made pre-post season.

SpursWillOwn
07-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Dirk, Mentally strong, in a same sentence. HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

E20
07-30-2007, 05:49 PM
A player should never say something like that.

z0sa
07-30-2007, 07:43 PM
sounds like hes trying to convince himself. why even say something like that? whats the point of that comment?

Holmes_Fans
07-30-2007, 09:03 PM
I think he is mentally strong. How many times has he rolled his ankle to a 45* angle and came back and finished the game? He has choked in only 2 series, 1 1/2 at that. He was lights out for most of the heat series, hitting 2 go ahead shots in game 5 of the finals at the end of regulation and at the end of OT, both trumbed by dwade free throws. He only had the one missed free throw. And the GS series we all know he was pretty much useless except for game he hit 3 3's at the end to win.

monosylab1k
07-30-2007, 09:56 PM
sounds like hes trying to convince himself. why even say something like that? whats the point of that comment?
unfortunately i thought the same thing. i can't remember the last time Tim Duncan spent time reinforcing to the media how mentally strong he was.

Shank
07-31-2007, 09:26 AM
How does one "work" on mental training aside from facing adversity in actual gameplay?

dickface
07-31-2007, 09:33 AM
How does one "work" on mental training aside from facing adversity in actual gameplay?
apparently dirk used to since he said he doesn't do it much anymore.

MajorMike
07-31-2007, 09:36 AM
Well... maybe you should, genius.

Reggie Miller
08-02-2007, 01:34 PM

SOME WAYS DIRK USED TO "WORK" ON MENTAL TOUGHNESS:

1. Playing Monopoly without the Free Parking money.
2. Putting while caddies shout "Noonan" in the background. Admittedly, this is more effective when your name is actually "Noonan."
3. Levitating his crashed X-Wing Fighter out of swamps with the Force.
4. Visiting Munich without drinking even a single Lowenbrau Oktoberfest.
5. Eating just one Lays potato chip.

boutons_
08-02-2007, 01:45 PM
Remember Dirk hit 2 consecutive 3Gs in the last 2 possessions of their elimination game.
Pretty gutsy, but not enough.

Reggie Miller
08-02-2007, 02:20 PM
SOME WAYS DIRK USED TO "WORK" ON MENTAL TOUGHNESS:

1. Playing Monopoly without the Free Parking money.
2. Putting while caddies shout "Noonan" in the background. Admittedly, this is more effective when your name is actually "Noonan."
3. Levitating his crashed X-Wing Fighter out of swamps with the Force.
4. Visiting Munich without drinking even a single Lowenbrau Oktoberfest.
5. Eating just one Lays potato chip.

SOME MORE WAYS DIRK USED TO "WORK" ON MENTAL TOUGHNESS:

1. Successfully counting the number of licks it takes to get to the center of a Toostie Roll Pop.
2. Resisting ingrained urges to invade Poland.
3. Leaving the toliet seat down for Steve.
4. Spending entire evenings with Cuban and Don Nelson Jr. without punching either's lights out.
5. Limiting Hasselhoff viewing to Baywatch and Knight Rider only. (No more Baywatch Nights.)