PDA

View Full Version : Saving the best song until last

Jimcs50
07-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Saving the best song until last

An album's final tune isn't always an afterthought; sometimes it's a gem

By ANDREW DANSBY
Copyright 2007 Houston Chronicle

The Plain White T's Hey There Delilah took a peculiar path to being a hit, starting with the fact that it was a Last Song. The infectious summer tune wrapped up the band's 2005 release All That We Needed.

"It made sense to close out a record with an acoustic lullaby kind of song," said singer Tom Higgenson. "You can go out with a big bang or you can go out with something quieter and maybe a little melancholy. We thought it was a nice little breath at the end of the record."

The song drew a strong reaction from fans at concerts but didn't find a home on radio.

Another T's album, last year's Every Second Counts, was released, but Delilah didn't go away. Two years after its release, it became a radio hit, prompting the band to reissue Every Second with it tacked on the end. That made Delilah a Last Song twice, both times the 13th song or "lucky 13" as Higgenson called it.

But Last Songs aren't often so lucky.

Michael Jackson's Thriller is as hit-laden as any album of the post-45 RPM, pre-iPod era, with six of its nine songs breaking the pop Top 40. Yet it ends not with a thriller, but with a wimper: Lady in My Life is a lush, forgettable coo.

On the flip side there's Tom Petty's American Girl, the last track on his debut album, Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. It never charted, but it's a vital song in Petty's discography, an FM mainstay for 30 years.

Brian Wilson said Caroline, No, one of his most tender songs, was tucked away at the end of his masterpiece Pet Sounds to pull listeners through the album. "That song came straight from my soul," he said. "That's exactly what it was: a payoff at the end."

The Last Song is often viewed as bad real estate. Who, especially today, flips to the end of a record for a favorite song?

Digital downloads aren't solely responsible for making the Last Song an endangered species. The CD could hold nearly twice as much music as LPs; that's a long trip to get to a Last Song. Worse, the CD facilitated "hidden tracks," where goofy throwaways created a cloudy sense of when a record was truly over.

Occasionally Last Songs squeak through as hits, but mostly these songs are considered favorites only among more dedicated fans.

So with all apologies to the Kinks (Waterloo Sunset), the Band (I Shall Be Released), Wilco (Reservations), Old Crow Medicine Show (Wagon Wheel), Dire Straits (Brothers in Arms) and Otis Redding (Ole Man Trouble) and the dozens of others, here are just 20 great Last Songs:

• 1. American Girl from Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers (1976), Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers: A great Last Song that could function as a great first song, with its sprightly riff.

• 2. Train in Vain from London Calling (1980), the Clash: Technically a hidden track since it wasn't listed on the LP jacket. Regardless, it's as good as a Last Song gets and showed great pop chops.

• 3. A Day in the Life from Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band (1967), the Beatles: A true Lennon/McCartney collaboration, two parts are stitched into a strange, psychedelic Frankensong.

• 4. Find the River from Automatic for the People (1992), R.E.M.: The best Last Song by a group that has all but perfected Last Songs (notable exception: Superman).

• 5. Caroline, No from Pet Sounds (1966), the Beach Boys: This pretty ditty got usurped as a Last Song on later versions of the albums, but it's a perfect, plaintive closer.

• 6. Goodnight, Hollywood Blvd from Gold (2001), Ryan Adams: Parts of Adams' ambitious second album live up to its title. The gentle, pretty final song is one of them.

• 7. You Can't Always Get What You Want from Let It Bleed (1969), the Rolling Stones: Mick Jagger's voice sounds great during the spare acoustic intro. The Stones' Soul Survivor is also a great closer.

• 8. To Live Is to Fly from Black Eyed Man (1992), Cowboy Junkies: This soaring song is one of the best Townes Van Zandt covers of all time.

• 9. Glad Tidings from Moondance (1970), Van Morrison: La-la-la's, perky as they are, are typically a first-song phenomenon. But here they provide an almost celebratory conclusion.

• 10. The Good Times Are Killing Me from Good News ... (2004), Modest Mouse: It teeters close to ramshackle cast-off, but a singalong melody rises above the sloppy delivery.

• 11. Smooth Criminal from Bad (1987), Michael Jackson: From the original Bad, not the subsequent version that was inexcusably saddled with the whining, loathsome Leave Me Alone.

• 12. Last Call from The College Dropout (2004), Kanye West: Like others (see No. 19), this one is a lengthy indulgent closer. But it proves an exception to the hip-hop rule of frontloading albums with the good stuff.

• 13. All Apologies from In Utero (1993), Nirvana: Pretty, somewhat restrained, a little resigned and a very sad studio epitaph. Had they flipped it with closer Where Did You Sleep Last Night, the Unplugged version would be here.

• 14. Purple Rain from Purple Rain (1984), Prince: Admittedly this one's a bit contrived since it was designed to be the film-closing corker. Still, it has one of his baddest guitar solos.

• 15. Is This Desire? from Is This Desire? (1998), PJ Harvey: Harvey also has a stock of great Last Songs, but this one is smoldering, and it caps her most underappreciated album.

• 16. Effigy from Willy and the Poor Boys (1969), Creedence Clearwater Revival: CCR's next album closed well with the suitably somber Long As I Can See the Light. But the red-hot agitation in Effigy is gutsier.

• 17. Lawyers, Guns and Money from Excitable Boy (1978), Warren Zevon: Zevon was a king of Last Songs: This one, Desperados Under the Eaves, Mutineer and the sniffle-inducing Keep Me in Your Heart chief among them.

• 18. Hey There Delilah from All That We Needed (2005), Plain White T's: So good it's been a Last Song twice.

• 19. Cowgirl in the Sand from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (1969), Neil Young: At 10 minutes long, it's an indulgent Last Song, but Young's and Danny Whitten's fidgety, intertwined guitars pull you through.

• 20. Let Him Fly from Fly (1999) Dixie Chicks: The Chicks are a double anomaly: A contemporary act and a country band that are big on Last Songs. This is the better of two great Patty Griffin closers.

[email protected]

Jimcs50
07-30-2007, 10:52 AM
Any other songs you know of?

BeerIsGood!
07-30-2007, 11:21 AM
I absolutely hate that Delilah song. I wish I could kick that fucker in the nuts for making that crap

JMarkJohns
07-30-2007, 12:20 PM
Many times, the best songs on an album tend to line up as the 1st, the 3rd or 5th, the 7th and the final songs...

Take Nevermind by Nirvana...

1. Smells Like Teen Spirit
3. Come As You Are
7. Territorial Pissings
F. Something In The Way

Territorial Pissings may not have been huge, but it's by far my favorite song off the album, followed by the other three in mention, then the likes of Polly, Drain You, Bloom, etc...

Another... Superunknown by Soundgarden

1. Let Me Drown
3. Fell On Black Days
7. Black Hole Sun
F. Like Suicide

Black Hole Sun is by far the biggest hit on the album, and while I prefer Spoonman to any other song remaining, Like Suicide has become huge, with acoustic and live versions available on various recordings, while Let Me Drown is a classic first riff and Fell On Black Days is the classic ballad.

Another example... Born To Run by Bruce Springsteen

1. Thunder Road
5. Born To Run
7. Meeting Across The River
F. Jungleland

This one the 3rd and the 5th switch, but the thought holds true. Thunder Road and Born To Run established Springsteen as an every man god, while Meeting Across The River and Jungleland are two of his great piano ballads.

One final example... Highway 61 Revisited by Bob Dylan

1. Like A Rolling Stone
5. Ballad Of A Thin Man
7. Highway 61 Revisited
F. Desolation Row

Like A Rolling Stone became one of his signature songs, and lives on today as one of the most covered Dylan tunes. Highway 61 Revisited is another classic rambling folk piece of Dylan's, while Ballad Of A Thin Man is a great slow folk tune while Desolation Row really stretches - and showed off - Dylan's masterful abilities...

It's not always the case, but you'd be surprised how many great songs were either 1st, 3rd, 5th, 7th or the final cut on an album.

As far as final songs being greats, "It Ain't Me Babe" by Dylan from his Another side of... album is a great example. "Long As I Can See The Light" by Creedence Clearwater Revival (Cosmos Factory) is another...

monosylab1k
07-30-2007, 12:27 PM
hey there delilah is one of the worst songs ever made. i fucking hate that shit.

AlamoSpursFan
07-30-2007, 12:29 PM
It wasn't placed as the last song on the album, but Rush's New World Man qualifies, I think.

Geddy, Alex, and Neil went into the studio to record the Signals album with only 7 songs written. The record label wanted at least 8 songs, so they sat down and knocked out New World Man in about 15 minutes according to Geddy.

Thunder Dan
07-30-2007, 12:36 PM
I have always known this for a fact that the last song is usually the best. However, this article loses any credibility which it might have had (with the Ryan Adams reference since that song IS awesome) with it's focus on Plain White T's. That song blows so hard it has taken blowing to another level (one above Good Charlotte). However, for sake of argument, here are a couple:

Radiohead- The Tourist off O.K. Computer
Foo Fighters - New Way Home off The Colour and the Shape
Oasis- Champagne Supernova off (What's the Story) Morning Glory?
Radiohead -Street Spirit off The Bends
Our Lady Peace- Car Crash off Clumsy
Alkaline Trio- Blue In The Face off Good Mourning
Pearl Jam- Release off Ten
Our Lady Peace- The Wonderful Future off Spiritual Machines (My favorite song)

Jimcs50
07-30-2007, 12:48 PM
The Long and Winding Road on the Let it Be album should be one of the top ones.

Whole Lotta Love on The Song Remains the Same album is a definite too.

CCR's The Night is the Right Time on the Green River album is one that deserves mentioning.

I will think of some more.

Spurminator
07-30-2007, 12:54 PM
Rush - Working Man
Lynyrd Skynyrd - Free Bird
NIN - Hurt
Dream Theater - Learning to Live
The Who - We're Not Gonna Take It, Won't Get Fooled Again, Love Reign O'er Me
Led Zeppelin - How Many More Times, When the Levee Breaks
Jimi Hendrix - Voodoo Chile (Slight Return)
Pearl Jam - Indifference
Talking Heads - The Big Country
Queensryche - Eyes of a Stranger, Anybody Listening?
Queen - Somebody to Love
Metallica - Damage, Inc.

monosylab1k
07-30-2007, 01:02 PM
Toadies had great last songs on each of their albums - I Burn and Dollskin

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-30-2007, 01:36 PM
I honestly cannot understand what makes Hey There Delilah a good song. The worst song this year.

Jimcs50
07-30-2007, 01:37 PM
Happy on the Stone's Exile On Main St is another gem.

The Last Resort on Hotel California is one of my fav songs by The Eagles

Jimcs50
07-30-2007, 01:39 PM
I honestly cannot understand what makes Hey There Delilah a good song. The worst song this year.

ask my wife, she likes it, as well as 4 of my employees, who all sing to it when it plays on my satelite radio in the office.....go figure.

Jimcs50
07-30-2007, 01:41 PM
Reason to Believe on the Every Picture Tells A Story album

Spurminator
07-30-2007, 01:46 PM

If you're male and/or over the age of 20, you're not the target.

ATRAIN
07-30-2007, 01:47 PM
hey there delilah is one of the worst songs ever made. i fucking hate that shit.

thats song makes me want to punch someone in the face

mardigan
07-30-2007, 01:47 PM
Weezer-Only In Dreams, Blue Album
Deftones-Pink Maggot, White Pony
R.A.T.M.-Year Of The Boomerang, Evil Empire
Pearl Jam-Indifference, Vs
Tool-Third Eye, Aenima

Spurminator
07-30-2007, 01:49 PM
I forgot "Tomorrow Never Knows" by The Beatles.

Thunder Dan
07-30-2007, 02:00 PM
I forgot "Tomorrow Never Knows" by The Beatles.

best Beatles song IMO, followed closly by In My Life

Jimcs50
07-30-2007, 02:18 PM
best Beatles song IMO, followed closly by In My Life

If you are on LSD maybe.

In My Life is one of my favs though.

Thunder Dan
07-30-2007, 02:25 PM
If you are on LSD maybe.

In My Life is one of my favs though.

I like that side of the Beatles, it's like the first ever alternative rock. I love Tomorrow Never Knows and I Am The Walrus for that reason

Condemned 2 HelLA
07-30-2007, 02:42 PM
Geddy, Alex, and Neil went into the studio to record the Signals album with only 7 songs written. The record label wanted at least 8 songs, so they sat down and knocked out New World Man in about 15 minutes according to Geddy.

Didn't pretty much the same thing happen when Black Sabbath recorded the "Paranoid" album?
I'm pretty sure that they only had 7 songs, the label wanted one more, so Tony Iommi quickly scribbled a song out in something like 5 minutes, and not only did they have one of their most popular songs, they had the title for the 2nd album as well.

Spurminator
07-30-2007, 03:08 PM
Same thing happened to Warrant on the Cherry Pie album. And the rest... is history...

Jimcs50
07-30-2007, 05:47 PM
Same thing happened to Warrant on the Cherry Pie album. And the rest... is history...

Same with the Beach Boys' God only knows on the Pet Sounds album. Brian Wilson wrote it in 7 mins. Great song btw.

Jekka
07-30-2007, 05:57 PM
• 19. Cowgirl in the Sand from Everybody Knows This Is Nowhere (1969), Neil Young: At 10 minutes long, it's an indulgent Last Song, but Young's and Danny Whitten's fidgety, intertwined guitars pull you through.

That was actually the first song that came to mind as a favorite last song. Also on my favorites would be "The Last Nail" from Fogelberg's Captured Angel album, "1000 Miles" from Jewel's last album Goodbye Alice in Wonderland, and "The Last Time I Saw Richard" from Joni Mitchell's Blue.