PDA

View Full Version : Spurs notebook: Pop: Nesterovic has been 'awful'

Solid D
12-10-2004, 01:31 AM
http://www.mysanantonio.com/sports/basketball/nba/spurs/stories/MYSA121004.6C.BKNspurs.notebook.25e3c63.html

Spurs notebook: Pop: Nesterovic has been 'awful'
Web Posted: 12/10/2004 12:00 AM CST

Mike Monroe
Express-News Staff Writer

HOUSTON — Wondering why Spurs coach Gregg Popovich sat center Rasho Nesterovic the entire second half of Wednesday's 102-96 loss to the Seattle SuperSonics?

It wasn't because Popovich wanted to "go small" against a quicker, smaller Sonics team.

"I thought he was awful," Popovich said. "I just tell the truth. I can't start giving bull, because you forget what bull you gave last week, so I just tell the truth, and if somebody doesn't like it, tough."

Added Popovich before Thursday's game: "I think he's been awful for a couple of weeks. I'm very disappointed in his play. I don't think he's competed well. I think he's played without confidence. He's taken a back door offensively.

"All of a sudden it's like he hit this wall and decided he's going to be a different player than he was last year or even the first part of this season, and I'm not sure why. But if he wants to play he's going to have to compete and I don't think he's done that for a while."

Nesterovic competed well Thursday against Houston. Playing with defensive aggression Popovich thought had been lacking for too long, Nesterovic had eight rebounds and, more importantly, four blocks in 24 minutes.

Worth noting: Tracy McGrady's 33 points were the highest for any Spurs opponent this season and his 17 fourth-quarter points were one off the high for a Spurs opponent. Seattle's Ray Allen had 18 in the second quarter of Wednesday'sgame at the SBC Center. ... Tim Duncan blocked a season-high seven shots, two of them on 7-foot-6 Rockets center Yao Ming.

T Park
12-10-2004, 01:33 AM
Playing with defensive aggression Popovich thought had been lacking for too long, Nesterovic had eight rebounds and, more importantly, four blocks in 24 minutes

According to a caller on GNR, its Rasho's fault they lost the game too.

GO fig.

IMO, he shouldve gotten 33 Mins, but what the hell do I know.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2004, 01:34 AM
But please, hug Barry.

mattyc
12-10-2004, 01:35 AM
Mr. Radoslav, this is your wake up call.
Wake up call for Mr. Radoslav.

T Park
12-10-2004, 01:35 AM
Yeah, brent could use some lovin.

Maybe thats the problem, the model wife is bein a prude and not puttin out.

T Park
12-10-2004, 01:36 AM
Mr. Radoslav, this is your wake up call.
Wake up call for Mr. Radoslav

Anyone that has a problem with how he played tonight is an idiot.

Rasho played very well, and deserved more minutes.

Id say he got his wakeup.

Now if his jumper would fall, hed be getting 10 and 8 a game.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-10-2004, 01:51 AM
He's taken a back door offensively.

Here's a thought, maybe run a play for him more often than once every 5-6 games.

timvp
12-10-2004, 01:51 AM
I thought I was wrong to rip Rasho. That's what Rasho apologists like ChumpDumper have been saying.

Thanks, Pop.

timvp
12-10-2004, 01:52 AM
Anyone that has a problem with how he played tonight is an idiot.

Rasho played very well, and deserved more minutes.

Id say he got his wakeup.

Now if his jumper would fall, hed be getting 10 and 8 a game.

What kind of play do you want to run? He should score off of offensive rebounds and open jumpers. You run plays for Duncan, Manu and Parker.

Rasho should get his without plays.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2004, 01:53 AM
Show me where I said not to rip him. Hedo taught us all.

You're the one saying don't yell at Devin.

Give him a big Hedo hug.

If a guy sucks, let him know.

timvp
12-10-2004, 01:57 AM
I'd say he technically is a stiff -- but pretty much the best stiff in the league. If Dalembert or Swift or any of those underachievers worked half as hard as Rasho, they'd be All-Stars. How long should we wait for these guys to put together a decent season and how much should they be paid while we're waiting for them to finally get it?

You have been saying Rasho is working hard. Working hard on what?

He's been horrible.

Kori Ellis
12-10-2004, 02:00 AM
I wonder how Rasho will react to being called out.

Step up?
Shut down?

timvp
12-10-2004, 02:01 AM
Well at least he went to the line tonight. That way he isn't due back for another 10 games.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2004, 02:05 AM
You have been saying Rasho is working hard. Working hard on what?Yes, please change the question. That's better. I said Rasho works hard in general, especially when compared to guys like Dalembert and Swift.

Rasho has definitely sucked lately.

So what?

No one outside of Duncan is going to bring it every night. This has been proven in every fucking game this year.

You want more consistency? Trade for it.

I would trade Rasho or Malik for Kurt Thomas in a heartbeat (note to MB -- it's better to suggest guys who are actually available) because he's more consistent than either.

Expecting solid play every game from anyone save Duncan is foolish. This is exactly why the team is made up this way, and this is exactly why this team is going to pursue Malone no matter what inane protests may arise. When someone sucks, someone else is there to play the minutes.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-10-2004, 02:15 AM
Give him some high pick and roll looks out at that spot just past the FT line he likes.

He also has a nice little baby hook that he surprises everyone with.

timvp
12-10-2004, 02:16 AM
The Spurs didn't run plays for David Robinson. They aren't going to run plays for Rasho Nesterovic.

There's a long list of players that need plays before the Spurs get to Rasho.

timvp
12-10-2004, 02:18 AM
Expecting solid play every game from anyone save Duncan is foolish. This is exactly why the team is made up this way, and this is exactly why this team is going to pursue Malone no matter what inane protests may arise. When someone sucks, someone else is there to play the minutes.

Every game? I'd settle for every other game or every third game from Rasho.

Especially for someone we agreed before the season should average around 10 points, 8 rebounds and 2 blocks.

Right now he's barely doing half that.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-10-2004, 02:18 AM
Well if you're not going to run plays for him, don't criticize him for "not being involved in the offense."

That's all I'm saying on that.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2004, 02:19 AM
Yes, and every other player has been aces every night.

You make a great argument for Malone.

timvp
12-10-2004, 02:20 AM
Well if you're not going to run plays for him, don't criticize him for "not being involved in the offense."

That's all I'm saying on that.

Is he not allowed to get offensive rebounds and hit the jumpers and small put backs he gets?

What is he like 2-16 in the last three games?

timvp
12-10-2004, 02:24 AM
A 50-year-old Malone who is trying to recover from an injury that no one has recovered from will just add to the problem. Instead of trying to find minutes for Rose and Horry ... Pop will have to find minutes for Rose, Horry and Malone.

If Rasho doesn't want to play, just start Rose or Horry and then bring the other one off the bench and play them in a three man rotation. Having 73 bigmen off the bench isn't going to solve anything.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2004, 02:26 AM
Instead of trying to find minutes for Rose and Horry ... Pop will have to find minutes for Rose, Horry and Malone.One of those or Rasho is pretty much a lock to suck, so that's a nonissue.
If Rasho doesn't want to play, just start Rose or Horry and then bring the other one off the bench and play them in a three man rotation.And when (not if) they suck?

They'll change back.

Just like tonight.

Funny how that works.

nzkickass
12-10-2004, 03:25 AM
Maybe it's time to see Sean Marks out there on the court ???

ChumpDumper
12-10-2004, 03:37 AM
I'm all for it.

johnny00
12-10-2004, 08:15 AM
Give him some high pick and roll looks out at that spot just past the FT line he likes.

He also has a nice little baby hook that he surprises everyone with.

Nice Thought Agg, the problem is he has had those looks come his way and I've seen him more than once pass to someone else rather than take the shot. The Sonics/Rockets games are proof of that. No confidence or self-esteem for Mr. Nesterovic.

boutons
12-10-2004, 08:32 AM
"pass to someone else"

It's not just Rasho. Many times the highly desirable "make the extra pass" to the open guy sure looks like A Pass (or 2) Too Far, as the Spurs whip the ball around to the 2rd or 3rd open guy, when the 1st guy had an open shot. "Share the ball" is great, but it looks pretty weird, what appears to be pointless passing by guys who are open. Sure, it looks great when the last guy makes an open shot, and Sean Elliot can says cool things like "all 4 guys touched the ball" but I still wonder ...

boutons
12-10-2004, 08:38 AM
I did notice Pop clapping and cheering on Rasho when he missed the his first of 2 FTs late in the game. The camera angle for the 2nd FT was from above the board and it showed Rasho clearly moving his left hand off the ball quite early in his stroke, the "one-handed FT". He made it. :)

CosmicCowboy
12-10-2004, 08:52 AM
A 50-year-old Malone who is trying to recover from an injury that no one has recovered from will just add to the problem.

LJ...you have Malones injury confused with Kidds or someone elses...Malone had a slightly torn MCL in his right knee...it is a routine surgical procedure...they trimmed the rough edges and he rehabbed it...athletes come back 100% from injuries like this all the time...I have had 4 ACL injuries repaired...It's not like he has a chronic meniscus deterioration like Kidd that required somewhat "experimental" surgery...

I am not calling you out...I understand and respect the fact that you hate Malone, I am just saying that last years knee injury should not play a part in the decision process on Malone...now...whether a 41 year old guy can come back and get into "game shape" quickly is another question...Malone has a reputation of being a workaholic when it comes to conditioning and I personally think he has the discipline to speed the process...we will see...but Spurs clearly have a problem with their front court beyond Tim Duncan that clearly needs to be addressed...Adding Malone without subtracting anyone by trading clearly seems like a good option to me...

whottt
12-10-2004, 09:09 AM
The Spurs didn't run plays for David Robinson.

You say this almost like you are proud..Aggie is right, Rasho's not a good garbage man.

Sooner or later you have to attemtp to utilize the talent on your team rather that ass ream them for not being good in roles that don't suit their talent. It's called coaching. If Rasho wants more shots he should be given them. I mean do you want him to be agressive or not?

And we ran plays for Drob in 01 when LA was kicking our butts...only it was too late in the series by the time we did it. But it worked, Drob was a scoring presence when we did it.

violentkitten
12-10-2004, 09:26 AM
http://www.splashcru.com/images/Paulmooney3.jpg

rasho nesterovic makes j.r. reid seem like wilt chamberlain

Useruser666
12-10-2004, 09:30 AM
8 pts and 4 rebs almost seems like a dream now.

Kori Ellis
12-10-2004, 10:21 AM
you have Malones injury confused with Kidds or someone elses...Malone had a slightly torn MCL in his right knee...it is a routine surgical procedure

Malone had the same surgery as Kidd from what I understand.

Kori Ellis
12-10-2004, 10:26 AM
You are wrong CC. He didn't have the simple procedure. He had the microfracture procedure.

If Karl Malone does play this season for the Lakers, it might not be until well after Jan. 1.The NBA's second all-time leading scorer and a 14-time All-Star, Malone had the same sort of microfracture surgery that has stalled the careers of New York's Allan Houston, who will sit out of training camp, New Jersey's Jason Kidd, who is expected to be out until at least December and Jamal Mashburn, who will sit out the entire season with the Hornets.

http://www.sacbee.com/content/sports/story/10963920p-11881203c.html

Malone, 41, had microfracture surgery on his right knee in June and is expected to decide in about a month whether he will play this season.

http://www.latimes.com/sports/printedition/la-sp-lakerep29nov29,1,7716394.story?coll=la-headlines-pe-sports

boutons
12-10-2004, 10:27 AM
Malone had micro-fracture surgery? I thought his was just a torn ligament, not bone bruise/damage.

Kori Ellis
12-10-2004, 10:29 AM
Yes, he had the microfracture surgery. That's why timvp and I always talk about how hard it will be for him to recover. Very few players recover from it completely and those who do usually take a year off.

boutons
12-10-2004, 10:32 AM
ok, ok, gotta get smart on this:

http://www.woohoo.org/microfracture.htm

While Webber was pretty screwed up all last year, Jason Kidd is looking pretty good already, too early to tell.

Kori Ellis
12-10-2004, 10:36 AM
I don't know if you know the history of the surgery with NBA players, but really the only player who has comeback from it and been the same has been is Kerry Kittles -- and he sat out a whole year before trying to come back.

The other players who've had it of note:

Chris Webber
Allan Houston
Jamal Mashburn
Penny Hardaway

Just because Kidd is back, doesn't mean he's fine. Mashburn tried to come back early last year after the surgery too. And then he's ended up sitting out a year because he wasn't healthy.

ducks
12-10-2004, 10:37 AM
on tnt last night mailman has not talked to pop
and pop had not talked to him since summer

timvp
12-10-2004, 02:35 PM
Thanks Princess for having my back.

:smokin

wildbill2u
12-10-2004, 03:01 PM
8 pts and 4 rebs almost seems like a dream now.

Where is Dwayne Schnitzius when you really need him?

ShoogarBear
12-10-2004, 09:07 PM
Thanks Princess for having my back.

:smokin

Why do you think any of us put up with you?

:spin

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Last year when Tim was out we ran some plays for Rasho, he was putting up 18 and 10 every night.

I'm not saying he needs 20 touches every night, but I certainly would feel better about our offense running plays for Rasho 10 times a game than enduring Bowen try and do his best Manu impersonation on the pick and roll like we do 5-6 times a night.

timvp
12-10-2004, 09:19 PM
Why do you think any of us put up with you?

:spin

Yeah, I know where my bread is buttered.

http://www.kenston.k12.oh.us/khs/just4fun/christie_mavs.jpg

Manu20
12-10-2004, 09:25 PM
Last year when Tim was out we ran some plays for Rasho, he was putting up 18 and 10 every night.

I'm not saying he needs 20 touches every night, but I certainly would feel better about our offense running plays for Rasho 10 times a game than enduring Bowen try and do his best Manu impersonation on the pick and roll like we do 5-6 times a night.

I just think Rasho needs to hit that 15 footer but I totally agreed on Bowen, I hated when he drives the ball to the paint it is either a miss shot or Turnover. Memo to Bowen just play defense and shoot the 3 from the corner.

Kori Ellis
12-10-2004, 09:42 PM
I hated when he drives the ball to the paint it is either a miss shot or Turnover.

He's only averaging .9 turnovers per game. So it's not a turnover very often.

But you are right in that Bowen is best when he's getting points in the corner, or running the floor.

boutons
12-10-2004, 10:16 PM
"So it's not a turnover very often."

But he almost never finishes, either, and hardly every gets an AST. When he does the dribble from the wing, I reflexively think "aint nothin gonna happen" and it don't.

Kori Ellis
12-10-2004, 10:17 PM
Correct, that's why I said that he's best running the floor or hitting 3's.

ShoogarBear
12-10-2004, 10:34 PM
Eh, he has become more effective at that little 10-foot runner. It's not a money move by any stretch, but as long as he picks his spots (i.e., not in the 4th quarter of close games), I don't mind it as a means of keeping people honest.

Got to say that I'm impressed that a guy at Bruce age is still working at expanding his game.

boutons
12-10-2004, 11:00 PM
"that little 10-foot runner"

Showing his tone-deafness for offense, he's a bad shooter who chose (to try) to adopt one of the most difficult shots in basketball. It was really a nice surprise when he unveiled it last year and a hit a few, but how many has hit so for this season vs how many he has missed?

Why didn't somebody tell him to use develop the fake-and-dribble to the shoulder not for a difficult runner, but for a classic little pull-up jumper, like Beno and Rip Hamilton? A much easier shot to hit, esp for a bad shooter.

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-10-2004, 11:35 PM
I don't mind his occassional floater, what pisses me off is in each of the last three games I have seen us run the pick and roll with Bowen and a big more than once each night.

That's assenine. He can't hit a pull up jumper, he can't create and dish, and he has no in between game.

Ghost Writer
12-10-2004, 11:59 PM
I'm glad Pop has the b@lls to back up what I've been saying for over a week now.

SequSpur
12-11-2004, 12:01 AM
I'm glad Pop has the b@lls to back up what I've been saying since the day Rasho moved to San Antonio.

timvp
12-11-2004, 12:05 AM
Can't say Sequ is lying ...

Ghost Writer
12-11-2004, 12:07 AM
No one else felt the Spurs were throwing good money at a guy who wasn't good enough for the frontcourt-depleted Wolves?

I mean, Rasho makes David Robinson look like friggin' Dennis Rodman.

Kori Ellis
12-11-2004, 12:10 AM
No one else felt the Spurs were throwing good money at a guy who wasn't good enough for the frontcourt-depleted Wolves?

You do know that the Wolves offered him more money to stay there, right?

But that's not the point really, everyone agrees Rasho sucks.

Ghost Writer
12-11-2004, 12:14 AM
I forgot about that.

I remember KG taunting Rasho for being such a pvssy on the court.

Hey, did you see what Dalembert did tonight with some decent minutes?

Let me know.