PDA

View Full Version : Ime Udoka?

Civilfatman
07-30-2007, 03:14 PM
If my calculations are correct, the Spurs salary cap is at $66,354,684 (assuming they get to void Vassilas's contract) and with the luxury tax cap at $66,865,000, the Spurs can only offer Ime Udoka a contract starting around $1.51 million and still be under the Luxury tax. And I have no doubt they wont surpass it for him. If they trade Beno to the Cavs for their trade exception they can offer him $3.25 million in the first year. If they do that Manu or Brent would have to play some backup PG

Does anyone know why Pop is so against having Brent Barry playing backup point guard? He did it as a Sonic pretty damm well. I'm no Brent Barry fan, I personally think he is worthless, but if I had to chose him over Beno I would pick him any day of the week.

And does anyone know if the Spurs are still pursuing Ime Udoka? I cant tell if they are playing hardball with him or if the deal is off the table. by the way there is no way Ian is playing for the Spurs this year. he is way too raw.

BeerIsGood!
07-30-2007, 03:24 PM
Well, you've summed up the last 4 weeks worth of threads...

Udoka - we won't know until we know.

td4mvp3
07-30-2007, 03:29 PM
he still isn't freakin' signed?!

AFBlue
07-30-2007, 03:32 PM
If my calculations are correct, the Spurs salary cap is at $66,354,684 (assuming they get to void Vassilas's contract) and with the luxury tax cap at $66,865,000, the Spurs can only offer Ime Udoka a contract starting around $1.51 million and still be under the Luxury tax. And I have no doubt they wont surpass it for him. If they trade Beno to the Cavs for their trade exception they can offer him $3.25 million in the first year. If they do that Manu or Brent would have to play some backup PG

Does anyone know why Pop is so against having Brent Barry playing backup point guard? He did it as a Sonic pretty damm well. I'm no Brent Barry fan, I personally think he is worthless, but if I had to chose him over Beno I would pick him any day of the week.

And does anyone know if the Spurs are still pursuing Ime Udoka? I cant tell if they are playing hardball with him or if the deal is off the table. by the way there is no way Ian is playing for the Spurs this year. he is way too raw.

No news....

But that was a good salary recap.

Does that include Marcus Williams' contract as well?

Civilfatman
07-30-2007, 03:42 PM
No news....

But that was a good salary recap.

Does that include Marcus Williams' contract as well?

No, that was just the 12 players they have signed and on books excluding Vassilas. To my knowlege Williams hasnt signed yet.

Tim Duncan $19,014,188
Tony Parker $10,500,000
Manu Ginobili $9,075,000
Brent Barry $5,544,370
Bruce Bowen $4,125,000
Robert Horry $3,630,000
Fabricio Oberto $3,167,420
Michael Finley $3,103,000
Francisco Elson $3,000,000
Matt Bonner $2,678,000
Beno Udrih $1,747,096
Jacque Vaughn - $1,219,590 ($770,610 against the luxury tax) $770,610
Spurs Cap $66,354,684

AFBlue
07-30-2007, 03:50 PM
No, that was just the 12 players they have signed and on books excluding Vassilas. To my knowlege Williams hasnt signed yet.

Okay....well his salary will be negligible anyways, but I was just curious.

Funny how $250K is "negligible"....

I'd love to have a "negligible" salary like that....

zekes
07-30-2007, 05:27 PM
IME UDOKA
There's still no word on where the small forward is going to end up or even what team Udoka is in negotiation with (if any). His agent, Erin Cowan, has not returned several phone messages, including one Monday. I know this: The Blazers still aren't suitors.
"I haven't talked with his agent in over a week," Pritchard said. "It's still highly unlikely (Udoka re-signs with the Blazers)."

Oregonian per Hoopshype

exstatic
07-30-2007, 09:30 PM
$66,865,000 - $66,354,684 = $510,316

You're off by $1 million.

SequSpur
07-30-2007, 09:34 PM
what a waste of money.

Mr. Body
07-30-2007, 10:16 PM
Overpaying Matt Bonner (without testing the market) cost the Spurs a cheap James White contract and makes it much tougher to sign up Udoka. But really, White wasn't that great, and only if Bonner wasn't resigned at all was there enough money for Udoka.

Question is, who here wouldn't take Udoka right away over Bonner?

leemajors
07-30-2007, 10:29 PM
Overpaying Matt Bonner (without testing the market) cost the Spurs a cheap James White contract and makes it much tougher to sign up Udoka. But really, White wasn't that great, and only if Bonner wasn't resigned at all was there enough money for Udoka.

that's right in timvp's wheelhouse.

itzsoweezee
07-30-2007, 11:22 PM
ruben patterson is much better, and he can be gotten cheaply.

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-30-2007, 11:34 PM
but he's a raper.

cholo
07-30-2007, 11:57 PM
rapist or raper?

Darkwaters
07-31-2007, 12:52 AM
rapist or raper?

Registered Sex Offender.

So is the Ime Udoka thing officially over? That would seriously piss me off. I can live with Udoka being the big signing this offseason...but we seriously need him to make this offseason anything but a bust.

MannyIsGod
07-31-2007, 06:20 AM

Question is, who here wouldn't take Udoka right away over Bonner?You were in the Bonner talks too? Damn dude, seriously, who's your source for all of these things the rest of us can just guess about. You know who Bonner talks to, you're all up in Udoka's head, and you know exactly what the Spurs do in the front office to the T.

Its amazing, really.

BacktoBasics
07-31-2007, 08:22 AM
You were in the Bonner talks too? Damn dude, seriously, who's your source for all of these things the rest of us can just guess about. You know who Bonner talks to, you're all up in Udoka's head, and you know exactly what the Spurs do in the front office to the T.

Its amazing, really.All this time and still don't know what a fucking message board is? When are you going to be done bitching about everyone's speculation. We all fucking know that we don't know shit about whats really going on in the FO. Do you need to fucking remind this place in every fucking thread that none of us will ever know the whole truth. Isn't this what this place is for....our opinions, speculations, thoughs, assumptions.

Are you fucking done yet or does your ego need additional stroking? Do I need to use bigger words for you understand?

MajorMike
07-31-2007, 08:51 AM
$66,865,000 - $66,354,684 = $510,316

You're off by $1 million.

Actually, I got 66,813,662.

According to NBA.com: LINK (http://www.nba.com/news/salarycap_070710.html)

The tax level for the 2007-08 season has been set at $67.865 million. Any team whose team salary exceeds that figure will pay a $1 tax for each $1 by which it exceeds $67.865 million.

Therefore, we are currently 1,051,338 UNDER the cap by my calculations.

The cap is actually lower (2007-08 is 55,630,000). However, it is referred to in the NBA as a "Soft Cap", meaning that teams can, and frequently are, over the actual CAP with no penalty. It is only when you go over the TAX line that you have to pay. Regardless, most people actually call this the cap and for purposes of this discussion it really doesn't matter. The point is right now we should be under with room to spare without having to pay.

In addition, same link:

The mid-level exception is $5.356 million for the 2007-08 season

Is anyone using our MLE right now?

mountainballer
07-31-2007, 08:51 AM

word is, that Bonner will break out this season, so that no Spurs will even remember who Big Shot Rob was.
at least that's what some predict.
Bonner is a great person for sure, but I would take Udoka over him any day. the problem is, I would take Scola over him any minute.
but I take Bonner over Butler, so if I look at it this way, it's not that bad.

AFBlue
07-31-2007, 09:56 AM
Is anyone using our MLE right now?

I don't believe so. Spurs had the bird rights on Bonner and Oberto, so that money didn't count against the MLE. And Vaughn signed for the vet min, which also doesn't count against the MLE.

By my count the Spurs still have the full MLE and possibly even the LLE.

Of course they are still somewhat fiscally constrained by the lux tax, in that they're fairly close ($1.5M under) the threshold.

Not sure what deals, if any, will be made while that remains the situation....

MajorMike
07-31-2007, 10:10 AM
I believe with the deals in place and the contracts signed under Bird Rights, we should have BOTH exceptions and the 1 mil and change. If we sign and use one of the exceptions, we would still be under, again if my math is correct. Exceptions don't count against your cap, if I understand correctly.

mountainballer
07-31-2007, 10:54 AM
Exceptions don't count against your cap, if I understand correctly.

they do.
they are called exceptions, because a team can use them, no matter if, or how much, they are over the cap.
the problem isn't that the Spurs didn't have any available money.
they could sign a player for the MLE (5.35 million) and another player for the LLE (1.83) and as many as they want for the veteran minimum.
(they could also split the MLE)
the problem is, that this salaries count against the cap and would push the Spurs over the lux tax threshold, so they would have to virtually pay thoses salaries twice.

wildchild
07-31-2007, 11:05 AM
How much players haven the Spurs under contract? 11 or 12? Is the roster complete with Spaunoldis? But he's not coming now.

ace3g
07-31-2007, 12:16 PM
That just gave me a good idea, with the Celtics losing alot of players in the Garnett trade maybe we can give them Beno and or Barry to free up a spot for Udoka

Civilfatman
07-31-2007, 01:24 PM
I meant to write $67.875

AFBlue
07-31-2007, 02:05 PM
That just gave me a good idea, with the Celtics losing alot of players in the Garnett trade maybe we can give them Beno and or Barry to free up a spot for Udoka

This only works if Boston has a trade exception for around $2M or $6M dollars. Otherwise, the Spurs would have to take back salary.

Peter
07-31-2007, 02:30 PM
I believe with the deals in place and the contracts signed under Bird Rights, we should have BOTH exceptions and the 1 mil and change. If we sign and use one of the exceptions, we would still be under, again if my math is correct. Exceptions don't count against your cap, if I understand correctly.

The exceptions allow you to sign a player if you don't have enough cap room, but the contract would still be included in determining the team's total payroll and any potential lux tax liability.

MannyIsGod
07-31-2007, 02:30 PM
All this time and still don't know what a fucking message board is? When are you going to be done bitching about everyone's speculation. We all fucking know that we don't know shit about whats really going on in the FO. Do you need to fucking remind this place in every fucking thread that none of us will ever know the whole truth. Isn't this what this place is for....our opinions, speculations, thoughs, assumptions.

Are you fucking done yet or does your ego need additional stroking? Do I need to use bigger words for you understand?:lol @ you always trying to insult me by me supposed use of "big words". Every thread? LOL this is like my 3rd post in here in the last month. You exagerate more about my posting than your dick size. We can have 2blonde confirm that too, you know.

And you forgot message boards are for pissing other people off. Everytime I see you follow up one of my posts I think an angel gets it's wings. Its nice having a personal message board bitch, but with you and Mr. BodyI have 2.

BacktoBasics
07-31-2007, 02:37 PM
:lol @ you always trying to insult me by me supposed use of "big words". Every thread? LOL this is like my 3rd post in here in the last month. You exagerate more about my posting than your dick size. We can have 2blonde confirm that too, you know.

And you forgot message boards are for pissing other people off. Everytime I see you follow up one of my posts I think an angel gets it's wings. Its nice having a personal message board bitch, but with you and Mr. BodyI have 2.Lets have a penis contest?

SenorSpur
07-31-2007, 04:56 PM
Does anyone here think that the Udoka acquisition is even still possible at this point?

ploto
07-31-2007, 05:17 PM
An article about Boston suddenly mentioned his name! Just speculation...

Kindergarten Cop
07-31-2007, 05:30 PM
Does anyone here think that the Udoka acquisition is even still possible at this point?

Until he signs with antoher team, I still feel that it is possible.

Mr. Body
07-31-2007, 07:14 PM

If Udoka is anywhere on this board, he'd have to say 'yes,' since there seems to be no other place in the league for him. Boston picking him up would be pretty tight, since they seem to have the slots now and could really use a glue guy. Portland has no room in the inn. The Spurs need to dump salary first because they're leveraged to the gills (or what they think are their gills).

Mr. Body
07-31-2007, 07:16 PM
Its nice having a personal message board bitch, but with you and Mr. BodyI have 2.

:dizzy delusional bunny-rapist :drunk

Manny used to have semi-valuable takes, but now they're as content-less as the drunken mutterings of a transvestite homeless guy. Sad, really. "Mwaaa- mwaaah! I usseeddda beee somebuddy hereee!" While all his old coworkers walk around him on the sidewalk.

SenorSpur
07-31-2007, 07:17 PM
If Udoka is anywhere on this board, he'd have to say 'yes,' since there seems to be no other place in the league for him. Boston picking him up would be pretty tight, since they seem to have the slots now and could really use a glue guy. Portland has no room in the inn. The Spurs need to dump salary first because they're leveraged to the gills (or what they think are their gills).

Well, they need to get to dumpin'!

Mr. Body
07-31-2007, 07:20 PM
Well, they need to get to dumpin'!

Or just fucking sign him. It'll be January (with Barry and Beno still on the roster) and in the middle of some game they're gonna be saying, boy we wish we signed an Udoka before Boston did.

Marcus Bryant
07-31-2007, 11:19 PM
It feels like something has to drop league-wide before there's more movement in free agency. As for the Spurs, next summer they will have some cap room and probably will lose out on their targets. Better to nab Udoka now and avoid that game next summer.

lotr1trekkie
08-01-2007, 03:29 PM
Actually, Boston really could use a vet like Barry off the bench but I doubt they will accept his salary even for one year. OBVIOUSLY, Pop sees more in Bonner then others do. Udoka> Bonner. Where does that come from.! Ime wasn't even on radar until last season. Turning 30 and finally had a breakthrought year. Yet the Blazers still aren't interested. 6' 10' 245 lb'ers who can shoot the 3 at near 40% are rare. Name 4! If Mahinmi ends up with some second level Euro team the Spurs should write him off. If Scola averages double digits for Houston it will be a miracle.

Bruno
08-01-2007, 03:37 PM
Saying that Bonner is overpaid is a really lack of knowledge of players market value.
It's just the law of demand and supply : teams needs bigs who can shoot, there are few bigs who can shoot available, so these kind of players are expensive even when they aren't great all around players.

yavozerb
08-01-2007, 09:17 PM
Actually, Boston really could use a vet like Barry off the bench but I doubt they will accept his salary even for one year. OBVIOUSLY, Pop sees more in Bonner then others do. Udoka> Bonner. Where does that come from.! Ime wasn't even on radar until last season. Turning 30 and finally had a breakthrought year. Yet the Blazers still aren't interested. 6' 10' 245 lb'ers who can shoot the 3 at near 40% are rare. Name 4! If Mahinmi ends up with some second level Euro team the Spurs should write him off. If Scola averages double digits for Houston it will be a miracle.

How about a trade Barry and Beno for Sasha pavlovic (4-4.5 mil S&T)..
The guy is pretty decent player, young (25), and SF which the spurs will be in need after next season..Not sure if salaries would work, if not Cavs could throw in Wesley if he is retiring..

SenorSpur
08-01-2007, 09:27 PM
How about a trade Barry and Beno for Sasha pavlovic (4-4.5 mil S&T)..
The guy is pretty decent player, young (25), and SF which the spurs will be in need after next season..Not sure if salaries would work, if not Cavs could throw in Wesley if he is retiring..

Pavlovic is a fine shooter, but not a good defensive player. I'd simply prefer the Spurs sign Udoka. While not as good of a shooter as Pavlovic, he can shoot the corner 3 with proficiency and his defensive prowess is Bowen-esque.

In fact, I'd rather they simply sign him and worry about ridding the roster of both Barry and Beno later.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-01-2007, 10:02 PM
We just need Ime to wake up and smell the roses in San Antone...

yavozerb
08-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Patterson would really go against the culture of picking decent guys for the Spurs - yes, we've had Jax and Rodman and Swee' Pea, but Patterson is a registered sex offender! PR disaster IMHO.

Also, his skill set doesn't suit us in that he has no long J.

We don't need him, we just need Ime to wake up and smell the roses.

Wrong thread!!!

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-01-2007, 10:03 PM
Wrong thread!!!

Yeah, just noticed! :oops :oops :oops

Bunz
08-03-2007, 11:08 AM
well its obvious he doesnt want to play for the Spurs, so what now?

ThomasGranger
08-03-2007, 12:03 PM
well its obvious he doesnt want to play for the Spurs, so what now?

Is it?

barbacoataco
08-03-2007, 12:12 PM
As someone else posted already, I think Udoka is waiting to see the highest offer. He has never had a big contract, and this might be his best chance.

Darkwaters
08-03-2007, 12:49 PM
As someone else posted already, I think Udoka is waiting to see the highest offer. He has never had a big contract, and this might be his best chance.

Agreed. It doesn't look like any of the wing players will likely move until Pietrus and Pavlovic are inked to deals. Until then guys like Barnes, Posey and Udoka are probably going to sit on their hands and see what sweetheart deals come their way once they're all thats left.