PDA

View Full Version : Cavaliers sue Ticketmaster alleging monopolistic practices

ducks
07-30-2007, 10:47 PM
Cavaliers sue Ticketmaster alleging monopolistic practices

By JOE MILICIA, Associated Press Writer
July 30, 2007

CLEVELAND (AP) -- The Cleveland Cavaliers filed a federal lawsuit against Ticketmaster Inc. on Monday, accusing the broker of acting as a monopoly.

The Cavaliers allege in the lawsuit that Ticketmaster is trying to prevent the team's Flash Seats secondary-ticketing Web site from competing with the ticketing giant.

ADVERTISEMENT

Flash Seats provides season ticket holders a way to sell and transfer seats electronically -- a system that is superior to Ticketmaster's TeamExchange program, the lawsuit says.

"Ticketmaster is using its market power to exclude competition and inhibit innovation," said Sam Gerace, chief executive officer of Flash Seats. "I can only conclude they're threatened by Flash Seats."

The Cavaliers and Flash Seats contend that Ticketmaster is coercively seeking to enforce its primary-ticketing contract with the Cavaliers to exclude Flash Seats, saying that the contract prohibits the team from doing business with Flash Seats.

Ticketmaster is trying to force the Cavaliers to use Ticketmaster's TeamExchange system, the lawsuit claims. The company sent a letter to Cavaliers president Len Komoroski in February demanding the team suspend use of Flash Seats and stop trying to sell the system to other teams, claiming breach of contract.

Ticketmaster sued the Cavaliers and Flash Seats earlier this month in U.S. District Court in California asking the court to rule that it has exclusive rights to handle all the team's ticket sales.

West Hollywood, Calif.-based Ticketmaster, a unit of New York-based IAC/InterActiveCorp., is the largest ticket broker in the world. A phone message left for spokesman Ed Stewart was not immediately returned.

The Cavaliers are owned by Dan Gilbert, who is also the principal owner of Flash Seats.

ducks
07-30-2007, 10:50 PM
cavs owner is trying to make money to buy james a point guard with flash seat ticket sales

CubanMustGo
07-30-2007, 11:07 PM
TicketMaster fucking sucks and someone needs to take them down a notch. They add all kinds of bullshit charges and make it possible for scalpers to scoop up gobs of tickets.

Aggie Hoopsfan
07-30-2007, 11:32 PM
I'd sign on to that lawsuit. Ticketmaster is the scum of the earth.

inconvertible
07-30-2007, 11:33 PM
Finally

SpursWoman
07-31-2007, 06:01 AM
Flash Seats provides season ticket holders a way to sell and transfer seats electronically -- a system that is superior to Ticketmaster's TeamExchange program, the lawsuit says.

And the Spurs & Ticketmaster worked together to come up with the TicketExchange in the first place. :lol

MannyIsGod
07-31-2007, 06:16 AM
Cavs = Pearl Jam. This is probably going no where which sucks because we all fucking hate ticketmaster.

maxpower
07-31-2007, 08:58 AM
How is it possible that ticketmaster has gone on this long as a monopoly which openly gouges it's customers? ~1.75 to email your tickets? They charge you for the privilege of using your own ink and paper to print tickets. As spurs fans we are lucky, if you want to call it that, because buying tix for dallas games(vs. spurs) gives you the joy of paying 1.xx PER ticket emailed to you.

Spurminator
07-31-2007, 09:13 AM
It takes some real LeBron-hate to side with Ticketmaster on this...

Thunder Dan
07-31-2007, 09:41 AM
Pearl Jam had it right when they sued in the 90's. I hope the Cavs win this becuase Ticketmaster is one of the biggest monopolies in the United States. It's terrible having to pay $50 for a ticket, then a $5 service charge, then another $2-$3 handling fee, and all that bullshit.

Think about what they do. They charge people anywhere from 4-5 bucks to buy a ticket. If you figure they charge 15,000 people $3 for each home game it comes out to $1,845,000 for each arena assuming the team doesn't make the playoffs. This is all for just having software and the costs of the paper to print the tickets. Thats a huge scam business if you ask me.

They make over $55,000,000 a year just with the NBA in serivce charges. Now add in concerts and the other leagues and think about how it adds up.

DarkReign
07-31-2007, 09:43 AM
Go Cavs!

41times
07-31-2007, 10:57 AM
TicketMaster has badically eliminated most of its competition and is, IMO, a monopolistic giant.

I hope that the Cavs win the suit against them. The teams should be able to use whomever they want to distribute tickets.

I have always contended that the service fees charged by TicketBlaster was foul and obscene.

Why is it that i am charged $5 dollars for each ticket placed into the same enveloped and mailed to me? Why? Screw TicketBlaster!

J.T.
07-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Ticketmaster is the lovechild of Satan and Paris Hilton.

judaspriestess
07-31-2007, 12:33 PM
Go Cavs organization!!

I wish them all the best in winning this battle.

ploto
07-31-2007, 02:11 PM
If you hate Ticketmaster- tell the Spurs. They contract with them to handle ticket sales. The Houston Rockets don't use Ticketmaster. :)