PDA

View Full Version : Where was all the love for Tom Landry?

inconvertible
07-30-2007, 11:36 PM
this is kinda irritating me.

johnsmith
07-31-2007, 05:10 AM
:ihit :ihit :ihit :ihit Oh Dear God!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Are you fucking serious?

See, this is the problem America has with Cowboys fans.

johnsmith
07-31-2007, 05:12 AM
Wait, I just realized that this is the guy that doesn't like the Cowboys because of all their media hype.................

...............blink, blink, blank stare.............................

Fuck it, I'll ask the question................

So if you don't like the media hype, why are you complaining that Landry didn't get enough attention?

greenroom
07-31-2007, 05:38 AM

no offence but Bill Walsh brought more to the NFL than Landry did. I personally think that Walsh was/is the best NFL coach of all time. Landry was a great Coach, but Walsh was more than a coach in the NFL. He changed how NFL plays on the offence side of the ball.

peewee's lovechild
07-31-2007, 06:55 AM

Come on!!!!

Nobody loves Tom Landry more than I do, but this is a time to reflect on the life of Bill Walsh.

We did this when Tom died, it's Bills turn.

We need to show respect.

samikeyp
07-31-2007, 07:11 AM
no offence but Bill Walsh brought more to the NFL than Landry did. I personally think that Walsh was/is the best NFL coach of all time. Landry was a great Coach, but Walsh was more than a coach in the NFL. He changed how NFL plays on the offence side of the ball.

I would have to disagree vehemetly on this one. I am not disagreeing with the fact that Walsh was a great coach because he was. He was, IMO, one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game. But so was Landry. Landry brought in the shotgun to the league as well as the 4-3 defense and was one of the first coaches to integrate multiple shifts on the offensive side of the ball.

I get the Cowboy hate but to hate on a dead man solely because he coached a team you didn't like is disrespectful and in very poor taste especially right now.

This is not a Walsh/Landry debate. This is a time for celebrating the life of a great man and what he meant to a league that a lot of us love.

As far as "where was all the love for Tom Landry"?

Are you kidding?

When he died in 2000, there was this same outpouring of love, affection and admiration.

Fans from all different teams, especially those who have intense rivalries with Dallas, were paying all kinds of respect for Coach Landry. I heard almost as many kind words from Redskins, Eagles, Niners and Giants fans as I did from Cowboys fans.

Its all about respect. I understand for most younger fans, respect for an opponent equals fear but its just not the case.

Niners fans...
Our teams have had some classic battles and Im sure the trash talk will flow again but for right now, its all about Bill Walsh. I understand that johnsmith thinks all Cowboys fans are alike and think we are all of the same mindset but I can guarantee you there are several Cowboys fans out there who share my thoughts and are saddened today.

johnsmith
07-31-2007, 07:14 AM
I would have to disagree vehemetly on this one. I am not disagreeing with the fact that Walsh was a great coach because he was. He was, IMO, one of the greatest coaches in the history of the game. But so was Landry. Landry brought in the shotgun to the league as well as the 4-3 defense and was one of the first coaches to integrate multiple shifts on the offensive side of the ball.

I get the Cowboy hate but to hate on a dead man solely because he coached a team you didn't like is disrespectful and in very poor taste especially right now.

This is not a Walsh/Landry debate. This is a time for celebrating the life of a great man and what he meant to a league that a lot of us love.

Are you kidding?

When he died in 2000, there was this same outpouring of love, affection and admiration.

Fans from all different teams, especially those who have intense rivalries with Dallas, were paying all kinds of respect for Coach Landry. I heard almost as many kind words from Redskins, Eagles, Niners and Giants fans as I did from Cowboys fans.

Its all about respect. I understand for most younger fans, respect for an opponent equals fear but its just not the case.

Niners fans...
Our teams have had some classic battles and Im sure the trash talk will flow again but for right now, its all about Bill Walsh. I understand that johnsmith thinks all Cowboys fans are alike and think we are all of the same mindset but I can guarantee you there are several Cowboys fans out there who share my thoughts and are saddened today.

Leave me out of this.............

I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of the thread starter.

Wait, maybe I did take a jab at Cowboys fans, but you know it's all in fun.

Damn I hate the Cowboys.

samikeyp
07-31-2007, 07:15 AM
I was just pointing out the hypocrisy of the thread starter.

On that we agree.

peewee's lovechild
07-31-2007, 07:43 AM

Tom Landry was one of the all-time greats because he had great knowledge of the game. Very few coaches could out coach him in the 70s and early 80s.

Bill Walsh revolutionized the game. He brought in a whole new philosophy. At the time, nobody could match his ingenuity. Having said that, I don't think that he would have the savy to compete in today's NFL, too much has changed.

But, they were both great coaches.

peewee's lovechild
07-31-2007, 07:44 AM

Are you kidding?

Niners fans...

Good post, I agree with all that you said.

samikeyp
07-31-2007, 07:58 AM
Tom Landry was one of the all-time greats because he had great knowledge of the game. Very few coaches could out coach him in the 70s and early 80s.

Bill Walsh revolutionized the game. He brought in a whole new philosophy. At the time, nobody could match his ingenuity. Having said that, I don't think that he would have the savy to compete in today's NFL, too much has changed.

But, they were both great coaches.

Well said.

Actually, Walsh and Landry were very similar. Quiet thinkers who changed the NFL. You rarely saw either of them get too emotional, their innovations helped shaped the game we know today, and both commanded respect from players, fans and other coaches.

peewee's lovechild
07-31-2007, 08:23 AM
Well said.

Actually, Walsh and Landry were very similar. Quiet thinkers who changed the NFL. You rarely saw either of them get too emotional, their innovations helped shaped the game we know today, and both commanded respect from players, fans and other coaches.

Good point.

I forgot to mention that they were both quiet giants of the game. To further your point, they never demanded the respect of their players and coaches . . . their presence commanded said respect.

There's a big difference.