PDA

View Full Version : Frank the Tank breaks hand...

scott
07-30-2007, 11:38 PM
We get a gay thread about some rookie signing... but no thread about one of the top 4 RBs in the league missing the preseason with a broken hand?

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=2955335

Gore breaks bone in right hand, may miss preseason

SANTA CLARA, Calif. -- Frank Gore, the San Francisco 49ers Pro Bowl running back, broke a bone in his right hand Monday during the first padded practice of training camp and might not play in the preseason.

Gore was injured during a non-contact ball-handling drill, and coach Mike Nolan said he would not practice with the team for the remainder of the week. Gore will be re-evaluated next Monday, and Nolan expects him to return to practice then with a cast on his hand.

"He'll be ready for the latter part of preseason, but his participating in the preseason, we'll wait and see on that," Nolan said.

Gore set a franchise single-season record last season while leading the NFC with 1,695 yards rushing. He was the NFC's starting running back in the Pro Bowl after just his second NFL season.

One of the league's top young backs, Gore said he is aiming for a 2,000-yard season this year and hopes to challenge Eric Dickerson's NFL record of 2,105 yards that has stood for 22 seasons.

Gore has a considerable history of serious injury. He tore ligaments in each of his knees and had major surgery on both during his college career at the University of Miami. After his first season with the 49ers in 2005, when he became the first rookie in 15 years to lead the team in rushing, Gore had surgery to repair a torn labrum in each of his shoulders.

But that didn't prevent Gore from having a breakout season last year, when he also recorded a franchise-record 312 carries. He also led San Francisco last year with 61 receptions while setting a franchise record of 2,180 yards from scrimmage.

The 49ers intend to lighten Gore's load this year, and there's a three-way competition in training camp for backup carries behind him between young veterans Maurice Hicks and Michael Robinson and rookie Thomas Clayton, the team's sixth-round selection in the April draft.

"I always like to see a silver lining in whatever happens," Nolan said. "This is going to give Michael Robinson, Hicks and the rookie an opportunity to get more reps and see what they can do."

Nolan said there's a possibility the 49ers will bring in another running back to provide depth in training camp until Gore returns. Robinson, Hicks and Clayton are the only other running backs on the team's summer roster.

Copyright 2007 by The Associated Press

Fillmoe
07-31-2007, 12:01 AM
Yah, I was pissed when I found out earlier..... But its not that bad, hes expected to be doing minor training next week and back in time for the start of the regular season... oh and that rookie is gonna be a beast....

J.T.
07-31-2007, 02:05 AM
He got hurt in a non-contact drill? :lol

greenroom
07-31-2007, 05:38 AM
Thats Gore.. fragile

TheTruth
07-31-2007, 07:11 AM
Yup, he was a china doll all through college. He had is magical season, now its back to earth.

samikeyp
07-31-2007, 07:12 AM
If there is an upside to this...maybe he will fall in my fantasy league! :)

Yeah...I doubt it. :)

Fillmoe
07-31-2007, 10:04 AM
lol @ people praying on his downfall

samikeyp
07-31-2007, 11:50 AM
I don't want Gore to fail or be hurt...I just want people in my leagues to shy away from him so I can pick him.

BeerIsGood!
07-31-2007, 12:32 PM
I wonder if Gore is going to put more balls on the ground this season with a hand problem? He's been prone to fumbling before, and this can't help that any. That said, if it's just a three or four week recovery time he should still be good by the start of the regular season with no ill-effects.

J.T.
07-31-2007, 12:36 PM
I don't know if you can own yourself harder than breaking your hand on a non-contact drill :lmao

This is still funny.

Almost as funny as VY saying the Madden Curse won't get him.

Fillmoe
07-31-2007, 10:59 PM
We get a gay thread about some rookie signing...

Rookie Willis turns up the heat

Patrick Willis, who seemed lost in the shuffle during spring drills, had his coming out party during today's morning practice. You can safely say that he was extremely visible - both to sideline observers and to his offensive teammates.

Just ask Brandon Williams. Willis almost took the wide receiver's head off after Williams made a short catch during a red-zone drill. Willis followed that up by meeting fellow rookie Thomas Clayton in the hole and putting a nice lick on the running back.

The 49ers' first-round pick also stood out in the live tackling drills that ended practice. He had a big hit on back-up fullback Steve Dildine that echoed throughout the practice field. And he ended practice with an interception off a tipped pass, his second interception in two days.

"It's starting to come me a little bit more," Willis said afterward. "I just want to do things better than I did them the day before."

In case you didn't infer it, the 49ers were again in full pads this morning, their third straight full-contact practice. They will start alternating between pads and shells beginning tomorrow.

source: http://www.sacbee.com/static/weblogs/49ers/