PDA

View Full Version : Is the KG trade the NBA version of the Herschel Walker trade?

Kong
07-31-2007, 10:09 AM
With everything the Celtics gave up for KG, does this end up being similar to the Herschel Walker trade between Minnesota and Dallas in the NFL? Minnie gets 5 players and two #1 draft choices, for Boston to match KG with Ray Allen and Paul Pierce. While all-stars, all 3 of them are in their 30s, and does this really mean they'll get to the Finals?

monosylab1k
07-31-2007, 10:12 AM
Boston will not be good. Teams with three superstars suck dick.

O-Factor
07-31-2007, 10:27 AM
Boston's problem will be depth and lack of bench.

MrChug
07-31-2007, 10:39 AM
$h!t...the Minnesota Celtics will end up being considerably deeper than Boston. Those guys turning the corner will be playing ALOT of minutes this season making them effectively older FAST.

ManuTastic
07-31-2007, 12:27 PM
This is the best possible outcome for Boston, because of the Ray Allen trade. And they only did that because Pierce was untradeable. If Pierce could have been traded, they'd have continued a very promising youth movement. Jefferson is going to be a stud. But Pierce is too expensive to move, so they had to make him happy and give him experienced playmates, not teenagers. Trading the #5 pick for Ray-Ray was step 1. Step 2 was getting another veteran all-star caliber guy. And they landed the very best one out there in Garnett. This strategy is called "The future is now."
In the East, they'll be a top 3 team, easily. They won't beat a top Western team in the finals, though, because they have a suck-ass coach, and a weak bench.
So Boston just bought themselves a few years of going deep in the playoffs but not winning the whole enchilada. Then they start rebuilding. Again.

Minnesota got a lot of rebuilding pieces, although only Jefferson is top-quality, but they're so dumb they'll probably fuck this up too. So no, it's not a Herschel Walker trade, because the team that traded the single superstar won't be smart enough to use the pieces to build a champion.

mardigan
07-31-2007, 12:32 PM
No, the Celts didnt get 6 picks

Mr.Bottomtooth
07-31-2007, 12:34 PM
The Cowboys ended up using the picks they got in that trade to draft Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith. Say hello to the Timberwolves, the 2012 NBA Champions.

mardigan
07-31-2007, 12:36 PM
The Cowboys ended up using the picks they got in that trade to draft Troy Aikman and Emmitt Smith. Say hello to the Timberwolves, the 2012 NBA Champions.
Aikman was taking the year before Smith, the herchell picks got the Boys Emmitt, Russell Maryland, Darren Woodson, and Kevin Smith, along with 5 players

AFBlue
07-31-2007, 12:45 PM
With everything the Celtics gave up for KG, does this end up being similar to the Herschel Walker trade between Minnesota and Dallas in the NFL? Minnie gets 5 players and two #1 draft choices, for Boston to match KG with Ray Allen and Paul Pierce. While all-stars, all 3 of them are in their 30s, and does this really mean they'll get to the Finals?

I guess there's really no way to answer that question right now. The Walker trade was a success for the Cowboys because the players they took with the picks ended up having great careers and helped lead them to multiple Super Bowls.

As of now, only one has proven that they can even be productive on this level, so it's too early to tell.

But ask the question again in 5-10 years and you might get a difinitive answer.

IMO, though...

Jefferson will be a multiple all-star
Gomes will be a career bench guy....though with solid #'s
Green will be a double-digit scorer, but never an all-star
...and Telfair will be out of the league in 3 years

So it's hard to see Minnesota coming out of this deal nearly as successful as the Cowboys were from the Walker deal.

BeerIsGood!
07-31-2007, 12:52 PM
If the Wolves draft the right people the those 1's and Jefferson and Green pay off then it'll be close. I don't think they win 3 titles, but they may become relevant again. The thing with basketball, though, is that the coaching goes a long way. I don't know if they will get championship level coaching.

BeerIsGood!
07-31-2007, 12:53 PM
Aikman was taking the year before Smith, the herchell picks got the Boys Emmitt, Russell Maryland, Darren Woodson, and Kevin Smith, along with 5 players

Jimmy and Jerry did one hell of a job of turning one pick into two lower picks that netted contributors. They worked the hell out of those picks.

AFBlue
07-31-2007, 01:16 PM
On whether this makes the Celtics automatic Eastern Conference Champs....I don't think anyone (and that includes the Spurs) can punch their tickets to the finals.

I DO think, however, that this trade makes them the pre-season favorites.

AFBlue
07-31-2007, 01:25 PM
Boston's problem will be depth and lack of bench.

Disagree.

I think it's certainly a concern, but IMO it's being overblown.

You can only dress 12 players and most teams employ 8 to 10-man rotations on a regular basis. This deal leaves them with 12, and they can add more players because they still have MLE $$$.

Here's next year's probable rotation:

PG Rondo
SG Allen
SF Pierce
PF Garnett
C Perkins

Bench: Pruitt, T. Allen, Powe, Davis, Scalabrine

Okay, so that bench doesn't knock your socks off, but this is still the Eastern Conference and those players don't even have to play a large/significant role for the C's.

Anything you get out of the players outside the Big Three is icing on the cake.

justanotherspursfan
07-31-2007, 02:24 PM
Here's next year's probable rotation:

PG Rondo
SG Allen
SF Pierce
PF Garnett
C Perkins

Bench: Pruitt, T. Allen, Powe, Davis, Scalabrine
That bench is useless, and they're in trouble whenever they sit people. They need to try to find at least a couple of gritty Jacques Vaughn-level veterans for cheap so they can field a 3rd-quarter unit that isn't a trainwreck.

mardigan
07-31-2007, 02:27 PM
That bench is useless, and they're in trouble whenever they sit people. They need to try to find at least a couple of gritty Jacques Vaughn-level veterans for cheap so they can field a 3rd-quarter unit that isn't a trainwreck.
That bench is not useless, Allen was playing great until he hurt himself last year, and Big Baby was tearing it up in the summer league. Powe is also going to be pretty god and Pruitt could turn out to be good as well.

With that said, yea, they def got to get a couple of vets to bring off the bench.
Wonder what Jalen Rose is up to?

justanotherspursfan
07-31-2007, 02:31 PM
That bench is not useless, Allen was playing great until he hurt himself last year, and Big Baby was tearing it up in the summer league. Powe is also going to be pretty god and Pruitt could turn out to be good as well.
Okay, useless was overstating it. If those guys were 8-11 off the bench, they'd look just fine. But unless someone makes a giant leap this year, nobody on that list looks like they're ready to be the 6th or 7th guy on a team playing in the conference finals.

AFBlue
07-31-2007, 02:47 PM
Okay, useless was overstating it. If those guys were 8-11 off the bench, they'd look just fine. But unless someone makes a giant leap this year, nobody on that list looks like they're ready to be the 6th or 7th guy on a team playing in the conference finals.

Keep in mind that the main three will average 40MPG, unlike the Spurs who monitor the minutes for their stars (especially Manu).

So, while depth is a concern, it's not going to make or break their squad. And if you have 7 other players on the bench, chances are that one of them steps up and proves worthy of getting the majority of the backup minutes at one position or another.

ducks
07-31-2007, 03:46 PM
Boston will not be good. Teams with three superstars suck dick.
spurs basically have three superstars

ducks
07-31-2007, 03:48 PM
kg always wears done at the end of the season
he puts up better numbers to begin with
it will be intersting now he has help if he will try to save some of the early production for the playoffs

jaespur21
07-31-2007, 05:18 PM
well i do know this...When NBA 2k8 comes out. plenty of ppl will be using the Celtics, and that should make for a good competition. I got tired of beatin the suns this year. i had this one game where i came back from a 20 pt deficit against Suns fan plus made them quit numerous times

N4th4n
07-31-2007, 11:10 PM
well i do know this...When NBA 2k8 comes out. plenty of ppl will be using the Celtics, and that should make for a good competition. I got tired of beatin the suns this year. i had this one game where i came back from a 20 pt deficit against Suns fan plus made them quit numerous times

Wow your cool