PDA

View Full Version : Spurs article by steve kerr

RobinsontoDuncan
12-10-2004, 07:51 AM
The NBA's team to beat

by Steve Kerr, Yahoo! Sports
December 9, 2004

HOUSTON – On Wednesday in San Antonio, the Seattle SuperSonics ran and shot their way past the San Antonio Spurs for the second time this season. On Thursday in Houston, Tracy McGrady put on an incredible show, scoring 13 points in the final 35 seconds to lead the Houston Rockets to an amazing comeback victory over the Spurs.

Two nights, two bad losses. Gregg Popovich is furious, Tim Duncan is embarrassed and the Spurs fans can't believe it.

Well, they all can relax. Despite the bad spell, San Antonio once again has a great team, and at the one-quarter mark of the season, the Spurs are the favorites to win the NBA championship.

With apologies to Seattle and the Phoenix Suns, who have a better record than San Antonio thus far, the Spurs have the best chance to win the title this season because they're battle-tested, they're deep, they defend, they've won before and they have Duncan.

San Antonio has two titles in the past six seasons, but this probably is the best team Popovich has had. Duncan is his usual self, controlling games with his low-post offense, passing and shot blocking. It's his supporting cast, however, that makes this team so strong.

ADVERTISEMENT

Manu Ginobili and Tony Parker form a speedy, attacking backcourt that has energized the Spurs' offense. Several years ago, San Antonio walked the ball up the floor, but with these two guys leading the break, the Spurs entered Thursday's game seventh in the league in fast-break points. They also were sixth in field-goal percentage and fifth in points in the paint. The Spurs are attacking the rim and taking advantage of their guards' speed and Duncan's ability to get great position around the basket.

Popovich has nine players back from last season's squad. Together, they possess what he likes to call "corporate knowledge." They understand the system, play well together and have matured into a tough-minded group. Each player understands his role with the team and pulls for everyone else. The Spurs are a coach's dream.

Their depth is a luxury and somewhat unexpected, too. Rookie Beno Udrih has been so good manning the backup point guard spot that Popovich calls him a "poor man's John Stockton." Third-year guard Devin Brown has been terrific, shooting and defending with confidence, and he has replaced the struggling Brent Barry in the rotation. Malik Rose, who spent much of last season in Popovich's dog house, is back in the lineup and the team's best big perimeter defender, often drawing assignments like Dirk Nowitzki and Lamar Odom.

The Spurs, according to Popovich, are fine as long as they remember "who they are."

"As long as we remember that we win games with defense, we're fine," he said. "We're not Dallas or Phoenix. We don't shoot it real well. But if we defend we're pretty good."

Come playoff time, teams will have to score enough to win four games and knock out the Spurs. Defense wins championships, as Detroit proved once again last season. With the Lakers broken up and Shaq in Miami, this looks like it could be another championship season for San Antonio.

CosmicCowboy
12-10-2004, 09:08 AM
With apologies to Seattle and the Phoenix Suns, who have a better record than San Antonio thus far, the Spurs have the best chance to win the title this season because they're battle-tested, they're deep, they defend, they've won before and they have Duncan.

and this quote coming from a guy that owns a piece of the Suns...

boutons
12-10-2004, 09:50 AM
"Phoenix Suns, who have a better record than San Antonio thus far"

And, this very week, just like SEA, in a B2B, home/away, PHX played it very tough in the 4th to win both games, starting and finishing dramatic come-from-WAY-behind runs to win (just like the Spurs did in Games 6 vs DAL WCF 03 and vs NJ Finals 03).

Absolutely championship ball by SEA and PHX. In same week, Spurs play shitty and lose their own B2B, absolutely first-round exit stuff. Come on, Spurs!!!!

violentkitten
12-10-2004, 09:52 AM
titles arent won before christmas

Jimcs50
12-10-2004, 10:08 AM
and this quote coming from a guy that owns a piece of the Suns...

Kerr does not own any part of the Suns, the deal fell through.

CosmicCowboy
12-10-2004, 10:13 AM
oops...my bad

Phenomanul
12-10-2004, 10:28 AM
Kerr does not own any part of the Suns, the deal fell through.

You sure about this?.... I thought this is why he was pushing to get Ginobili during the offseason before coming to terms with Nash...

Kori Ellis
12-10-2004, 10:30 AM
Kerr does own part of the Suns. Elliott, who originally was buying in, does not.

Useruser666
12-10-2004, 10:44 AM
"Phoenix Suns, who have a better record than San Antonio thus far"

And, this very week, just like SEA, in a B2B, home/away, PHX played it very tough in the 4th to win both games, starting and finishing dramatic come-from-WAY-behind runs to win (just like the Spurs did in Games 6 vs DAL WCF 03 and vs NJ Finals 03).

Absolutely championship ball by SEA and PHX. In same week, Spurs play shitty and lose their own B2B, absolutely first-round exit stuff. Come on, Spurs!!!!

Compare this start with the championship starts boutons.

boutons
12-10-2004, 11:00 AM
"Compare this start with the championship starts boutonns"

This is best start in franchise history, so it's imcomparable.

Does SPAM this hot-start year mean Spurs Puke After March? :)

These two games crappy games show me the hot-start was a BS mirage. They still have a long way to go, but that wasn't supposed to be the case with 9 players, all 5 starters, returning. Jeez, this was a loss to fricking basket case HOU.

Jimcs50
12-10-2004, 11:38 AM
Kori, are you sure? I read that both Sean and Kerr were shot down.

Kori Ellis
12-10-2004, 11:40 AM
http://www.nba.com/suns/news/kerr_bio.html

Kori Ellis
12-10-2004, 11:42 AM
It's also mentioned in this article, which is dated Dec 8th.

http://www.nba.com/suns/news/azcentral_041208.html

So as far as I know, he's minority owner.

Sec24Row7
12-10-2004, 12:41 PM
Kerr didnt have to put any money up to get his minority share.

The buyer gave him an "override" so to speak.

A piece of the team for helping facilitate the deal.

Its also a lure or anchor whichever way you want to look at it, to eventually get him to be the GM.

Kori Ellis
12-10-2004, 12:45 PM
I understand Kerr combined with two others to contribute $10 million and form one of the minority investor units. Maybe I'm wrong, but that's what I read several times when the deal was being made.

Manu20
12-10-2004, 12:53 PM
I would like to see Kerr as part of the Spurs organization instead of being with the Suns.

RobinsontoDuncan
12-10-2004, 09:52 PM
i would also prefer him buying into this franchise, it is quite clear he still is a little patrial towrds it

Rummpd
12-10-2004, 10:51 PM
"With the Lakers broken up and Shaq in Miami, this looks like it could be another championship season for San Antonio."

Sick of this BS line - the Spurs wasted the Lakers two years ago and it took an absolute fluke to lead to eventual loss last year.

Spurs should have been favored over Lakers already period.

MadDoc

milkyway21
12-11-2004, 12:38 AM
"

Spurs should have been favored over Lakers already period.

MadDocShhh!!! LakerGod might read this one... :lol

ALVAREZ6
12-11-2004, 09:42 AM
I would like to see Kerr as part of the Spurs organization instead of being with the Suns.

Me too

why is he part of the Suns.... :smokin

ShoogarBear
12-11-2004, 01:51 PM
titles arent won before christmas

Okay, I don't get this (not especially directed at you Marc-, I mean, vk).

When the Spurs were 16-3, some were saying it was proof positive that they were one of the best teams of all time.

Now they're 16-5, and the exact same people are saying "titles aren't won in December".

A little consistency, please.