PDA

View Full Version : we may all hate the Mavs, but...

vander
07-31-2007, 12:54 PM
The Stern Button (http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2007/07/word-of-day-stern-button.html)

they did get robbed, I thought this was a great little blog post, something that should reach a much wider audience.

The more I learn about MJ, the less I think of him as a basketball player. if you give 28 year old MJ 6 teammates, and play him against 28 year old Kobe with the same teammates, I think Kobe wins more often then not. I was young when Jordan was great, and since then, having watched him on ESPN classic a few times, and continuously hearing about all the calls he got, I just don't think that highly of him anymore.

but yeah, mavs got robbed, and in the very same year, the Seahawks got robbed, we should all do our best to forget the 2006 year of sports, or remember it as "the year of the ref"

monosylab1k
07-31-2007, 12:58 PM
if you give 28 year old MJ 6 teammates, and play him against 28 year old Kobe with the same teammates, I think Kobe wins more often then not.

one of the dumber things i've ever read

RC's Boss
07-31-2007, 01:03 PM
MJ>>>>>>>>>>>> Kobe who?

saporvida
07-31-2007, 01:12 PM
mj will fo'ever be the face of basketball! fo'ever!

manustarting2gd
07-31-2007, 01:17 PM
The Stern Button (http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2007/07/word-of-day-stern-button.html)

they did get robbed, I thought this was a great little blog post, something that should reach a much wider audience.

The more I learn about MJ, the less I think of him as a basketball player. if you give 28 year old MJ 6 teammates, and play him against 28 year old Kobe with the same teammates, I think Kobe wins more often then not. I was young when Jordan was great, and since then, having watched him on ESPN classic a few times, and continuously hearing about all the calls he got, I just don't think that highly of him anymore.

but yeah, mavs got robbed, and in the very same year, the Seahawks got robbed, we should all do our best to forget the 2006 year of sports, or remember it as "the year of the ref"

Your obviously under 25yrs old.... these comments are nieve to say the least.

saporvida
07-31-2007, 01:18 PM

go cry on someone else's shoulder because frankly i don't think anyone of us SPURS fans here give a fuck about the mavs. fuck'em and their shitty city!

they didn't get robbed... they just "bobbed" their heads to a new beat and couldn't spit out what they were choking on.

vander
07-31-2007, 01:19 PM
all right forget the MJ stuff, the post was really about the article

saporvida
07-31-2007, 01:20 PM
all right forget the MJ stuff, the post was really about the article

the article was lame too... suggesting stern has some sort of magical electro-shock button in place to rig games. come on now.

ObiwanGinobili
07-31-2007, 01:30 PM
this post from that blog
http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2007/07/kobe-bryant-is-not-in-tim-duncans-five.html

is far more read-worthy.

ancestron
07-31-2007, 01:35 PM
whether or not the Mavs got screwed is up to speculation. It is hard for me to agree with that though, because, if you ask me, I'd say the spurs got screwed in the second round with Nowitzki's endless parade to the foul line as a result of plenty of "ghost fouls". Plus Dwyane Wade did penetrate like a mad man during those 4 games. I think it all goes back to Larry Bird and his comment regarding playing well enough to ensure a game is not decided by a call. Can be hard to do, but free-throws, while they seem like BS, are part of the organized game.
WHAT I DEFINITELY DO AGREE WITH HOWEVER IS THE SHAM THAT WAS SUPERBOWL XL. THAT WAS A TOTAL SCREWJOB WITHOUT A DOUBT. The Seahawks had that game, and if I remember correctly I think they had 2 TD's reversed over calls that never happen, even if the violation does, IN THE FREAKIN SUPERBOWL!! I think I broke my television that night.

vander
07-31-2007, 01:47 PM
the article was lame too... suggesting stern has some sort of magical electro-shock button in place to rig games. come on now.

oh, I didn't realize there were people out there that would take that part seriously, I apologize. the writer was being Facetious [fuh-see-shuhs]

saporvida
07-31-2007, 01:51 PM
WHAT I DEFINITELY DO AGREE WITH HOWEVER IS THE SHAM THAT WAS SUPERBOWL XL. THAT WAS A TOTAL SCREWJOB WITHOUT A DOUBT. The Seahawks had that game, and if I remember correctly I think they had 2 TD's reversed over calls that never happen, even if the violation does, IN THE FREAKIN SUPERBOWL!! I think I broke my television that night.

i'm glad i'm not a fan of football... sounds heartbreaking.

saporvida
07-31-2007, 01:54 PM
oh, I didn't realize there were people out there that would take that part seriously, I apologize. the writer was being Facetious [fuh-see-shuhs]

i didn't take it seriously but what is with all these good-for-nothing blogs these days and the speculation that the game is rigged every yr. since when did these conspiracy theories start popping up and when are they finally going to be put to rest?

i mean i could cry and say the officials fucked the spurs royally in the 2006 playoffs vs the mavs, but the only fact i know is that i hate the mavs and that's that. i don't have a conspiracy theory about that series. i am just grateful the spurs aren't a choke-job team like the mavs are.

SenorSpur
07-31-2007, 02:02 PM

Please!

There is no doubt that Kobe is the singular most talented player in the game. Yet how do you think he got that way? Hard work, perserverance and talent notwithstanding, he was so infatuated with Jordan that he patterned his entire basketball existence after the great one.

However make no mistake - Kobe couldn't carry Jordan's Nike bag. Jordan dominated his team, the league and the basketball culture for close to 15 years. Jordan played defense with the same ferocity and competitiveness as he played offense. He never took plays off and wanted to destroy his competition. Most importantly of all, Jordan learned what Kobe has yet to learn - how to harness his greatness into the success of the entire team. How to get his opponents to fear you, how to get his teammates to play for you and be willing to submit to your orders.

It is often said that Phil Jackson didn't coach the Chicago Bulls - Michael Jordan did. The players were afraid to fail because of him. He commanded so much respect that his teammates were afraid of the consequences if they let him down. All you need to know about Jordan is that despite leading the league in scoring at least seven times, no one ever called him a selfish player. Think about it. Check around and see how many current Lakers or opposing NBA players are lining up to play alongside of Kobe.

With all that said, if you really believe that the primary reason Jordan was so great is because he was afforded his share of calls, you are either too young, too stupid, vastly ill-informed - or all of the above.

saporvida
07-31-2007, 02:08 PM
Please!

There is no doubt that Kobe is the singular most talented player in the game. Yet how do you think he got that way? Hard work, perserverance and talent notwithstanding, he was so infatuated with Jordan that he patterned his entire basketball existence after the great one.

However make no mistake - Kobe couldn't carry Jordan's Nike bag. Jordan dominated his team, the league and the basketball culture for close to 15 years. Jordan played defense with the same ferocity and competitiveness as he played offense. He never took plays off and wanted to destroy his competition. Most importantly of all, Jordan learned what Kobe has yet to learn - how to harness his greatness into the success of the entire team. How to get his opponents to fear you, how to get his teammates to play for you and be willing to submit to your orders.

It is often said that Phil Jackson didn't coach the Chicago Bulls, Michael Jordan did. The players were afraid to fail because of him. He commanded so much respect that his teammates were afraid to let him down. All you need to know about Jordan is that despite leading the league in scoring at least seven times, no one ever called him a selfhish player. Think about it. Check around and see how many current Lakers or opposing NBA players are lining up to play alongside of Kobe.

With all that said, if you really believe that the primary reason Jordan was so great is because he was afforded his share of calls, you are either too young, too stupid, vastly ill-informed - or all of the above.

thank you.
:clap

vander
07-31-2007, 02:41 PM
It is often said that Phil Jackson didn't coach the Chicago Bulls - Michael Jordan did. The players were afraid to fail because of him. He commanded so much respect that his teammates were afraid of the consequences if they let him down. All you need to know about Jordan is that despite leading the league in scoring at least seven times, no one ever called him a selfish player. Think about it. Check around and see how many current Lakers or opposing NBA players are lining up to play alongside of Kobe.

all of the above, but MJ gets his infallibility from those 6 rings, they're like teflon, take a couple titles away that could gone the other way with different officiating, and people are singing a different tune would you still be saying those things if he only had 4 rings? cause that could just as easily have happened.

IMO, if Duncan got calls like MJ, he would already have 6 rings at 31, if MJ got calls like Duncan, he would have 4 for his entire career. reffing is that inaccurate and questionable.

FromWayDowntown
07-31-2007, 03:02 PM
I don't buy that Commissioner Stern orchestrates calls or that he dicatates outcomes to officials in any way. I think Wade got calls because he was aggressive attacking the basket and got fouled as he did so. It's not THAT unusual for a superstar player to get substantial numbers of free throws, even in Finals games. Those guys get a lot of opportunities to score because they're superstars. They are superstars because they are effective with those opportunities to score, in part because they can put the ball in the hole and in part because teams frequently can't effectively defend those players. Wade's free throws were the byproduct of those facts, coupled with rules that don't permit defensive players to check players out on the floor. Wade understood that he could get to the line if he attacked, and he attacked non-stop in that series.

With all of that said, the truth is that the Mavericks screwed themselves in that series. They had Game 3 won, up 13 points in the 4th. They had Game 3 won if Nowitzki makes his free throws in the last 5 seconds. The officials didn't have anything to do with the fact that the Mavs went 2-7 in the last 6:34 of that game with 5 turnovers; the officials didn't have anything to do with the Heat hitting 6 of their last 10 shots and playing the final 6 minutes without a turnover. Had the Mavericks taken better care of their business in Game 3, their lead would have been insurmountable for all practical purposes. The officials didn't have anything to do with that.

Obstructed_View
07-31-2007, 03:05 PM
So which official made Dirk brick that free throw with three seconds to go?

Findog
07-31-2007, 03:16 PM
Game Five was a travesty. The phantom call at the end was especially bogus.

That said, Miami won three other games in that series without the aid of the refs. Mavs were eliminated on their own floor. They didn't need to win a road game and they still lost the series. I don't like excuses. That's for Suns fans.

saporvida
07-31-2007, 03:23 PM
all i gotta say is... thank you "RC's Boss" for putting them fine asses in your sig.

mmm mmm mmm.... what i wouldn't do for some of that!
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9867/281444012349txi7.jpg
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2520/serenarx8.jpg

rasho8
07-31-2007, 03:54 PM

Damn straight. I gave up and stopped talking in the quarter when the refs are staring at each other wondering what to do, and suddenly one remembers "Oh shit, Stealers are supposed to win" And runs forward with his arms raised after what seemed like 2 minutes of wondering.

Pissed me off.

Obstructed_View
07-31-2007, 04:36 PM
The Seahawks missed a field goal, committed critical penalties, pushed off in the end zone, managed the clock poorly, and they lost by more than the seven points that they got screwed out of by the possibly bad touchdown call by big Ben, and WAY more than the four points that was the difference between the touchdown and the field goal they would have kicked on the next down.

Suns fans are the only thing keeping Seahawks fans from being the biggest bitches in sports.

rasho8
07-31-2007, 04:43 PM
The Seahawks missed a field goal, committed critical penalties, pushed off in the end zone, managed the clock poorly, and they lost by more than the seven points that they got screwed out of by the possibly bad touchdown call by big Ben, and WAY more than the four points that was the difference between the touchdown and the field goal they would have kicked on the next down.

Suns fans are the only thing keeping Seahawks fans from being the biggest bitches in sports.

Ticky tack bullshit phantom calls and the call on Hutchinson for holding when the guy clearly jumped the snap and should have been offside.

That makes it 14 pts with the big ben td.

Wait what about the td that was called back on non push off push off? theres 21. Add the field and go fuck yourself.

Suns fans suck, Seattle got robbed.

SenorSpur
07-31-2007, 04:53 PM
all i gotta say is... thank you "RC's Boss" for putting them fine asses in your sig.

mmm mmm mmm.... what i wouldn't do for some of that!
http://img252.imageshack.us/img252/9867/281444012349txi7.jpg
http://img502.imageshack.us/img502/2520/serenarx8.jpg

Amen to that, my brotha! :elephant

Dave McNulla
08-01-2007, 11:37 AM
the only thing worse than crybabies are people who celebrate crybabies.

barbacoataco
08-01-2007, 01:15 PM
Michael Jordan before he "retired" the 1st time to play baseball----- was so much better than Kobe, that only someone who never saw him play would disagree. His first step was so fast, he had so many different ways to score, and his defense was awesome as well. Many of his dunks came from steals that he created. Also, Jordan always seemed to get hot at the right moment, and he just had one great game after another. He was without a doubt the greatest player of any team sport from my era. During his second 3-pt he was not the same player, but still the best in the NBA. He started to rely more on the fadeaway jumper which was a little streaky.

That Seahawks Superbowl was ridiculous. Too many big calls that went against Seattle and turned out to be wrong. I'm not saying it was fixed, but it wasn't fair IMO.

Obstructed_View
08-01-2007, 03:17 PM
Ticky tack bullshit phantom calls and the call on Hutchinson for holding when the guy clearly jumped the snap and should have been offside.

That makes it 14 pts with the big ben td.

Wait what about the td that was called back on non push off push off? theres 21. Add the field and go fuck yourself.

Suns fans suck, Seattle got robbed.
:sleep
If you consider shoving a guy before catching a touchdown pass a bad call, then they probably had like 35 or so points that the officials "took away" from them.

Congratulations, pussy! The Suns fans are proud of you!