PDA

View Full Version : Gagne to Boston deal close

j-6
07-31-2007, 01:13 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/baseball/mlb/07/31/gagne.redsox/index.html

The Boston Red Sox and Texas Rangers have agreed in principle to a trade involving Eric Gagne, and the Red Sox are now negotiating with the former Cy Young winner to get him to accept the trade.

The Rangers are set to receive prospects in the deal. Boston is not on Gagne's approved list of 12 teams he can be traded to.

After missing much of the past two years with injuries, Gagne has returned to form this season with a 16 saves in 17 chances and a 2.16 ERA.

Melmart1
07-31-2007, 01:43 PM
I guess I have to change my sig :(

I wonder who will be closing? Maybe Aki is close to coming back, finally.

Melmart1
07-31-2007, 01:43 PM
Rumor was that they are thinking of changing Padilla into a closer. He has some nasty stuff, that might not be a bad idea.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 01:53 PM
Surprised the Yanks didn't give up Melky to get Gagne.

dmac
07-31-2007, 02:00 PM
What are the BoSox going to do with Papelbon? Move him to a starter liked they planned to in the off season?

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 02:03 PM
What are the BoSox going to do with Papelbon? Move him to a starter liked they planned to in the off season?

I think Gagne will get compensated for the achievement clauses he won't meet, but I'd think he'd be your setup man.

Melmart1
07-31-2007, 02:08 PM
Yeah I think they both stay in the bullpen. With Lester ready and Schilling about to come back, the Sox don't really need another starter. But now, the bullpen depth is amazing and since the Skanks didn't really upgrade much, I think this ... eh, I am not gonna say it. I am not gonna jinx it.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 02:09 PM
Surprised Texas got Kason Gabbard...he's got good stuff.

Melmart1
07-31-2007, 02:11 PM
I looove that they got a ready pitcher. Let's hope he can survive Arlington! There will be no green monster to keep balls in the yard. :lol

Flight3107
07-31-2007, 02:14 PM
What is JD doing making trades that make sense?

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 02:15 PM
What is JD doing making trades that make sense?

Cheat code?

Melmart1
07-31-2007, 02:16 PM
You guys give him a freackin break, will ya? :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 02:17 PM
Clean yo' box, Mart.

BUMP
07-31-2007, 02:17 PM
wait, we actually got Gabbard?

:elephant :p: :elephant :p: :elephant :p: :elephant :p:

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 02:18 PM
Argh! Still no word on the Padres moving in the two deals with the Sox and Astros.

Flight3107
07-31-2007, 02:23 PM
Peter Gammons said he really likes this Engel Beltre kid, but said he is very young and very raw.

What I have found on him

Scouting Report: Five-tool left-handed hitter with excellent power potential. Strong arm and good range in centerfield. Highly touted signing out of the Dominican Republic, signed for $575,000. Hustles at every step . Very projectable as a power hitter once he grows into his body.

And he was listed as ESPN #2 hottest prospect

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/columns/story?id=2505742

Flight3107
07-31-2007, 02:24 PM
And Benoit is now the closer for the Rangers

Melmart1
07-31-2007, 02:25 PM
Clean yo' box, Mart.
Bitch, my box is always clean!

Oh, and my PM's are clear as well! :lol

Melmart1
07-31-2007, 02:26 PM
Wow, JD really building for the future! FOUR prospects for Tex and Gabbard and two prospects for a Gagne rental. :elephant

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 02:28 PM
You just pray he doesn't hit the reset button.

Melmart1
07-31-2007, 02:29 PM
You just pray he doesn't hit the reset button.
Yeah, now that the Tex deal if official, you don't have to worry about that anymore. Congrats, Braves fan. You definitely improved far and away more than anyone else. Good luck in the playoffs.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 02:30 PM
Yeah, now that the Tex deal if official, you don't have to worry about that anymore. Congrats, Braves fan. You definitely improved far and away more than anyone else. Good luck in the playoffs.

I'm gonna plotz if they pick up Arroyo on top of Dotel and Tex.

Melmart1
07-31-2007, 02:32 PM
Are you worried about the amount of prospects they are giving up?

T Park
07-31-2007, 02:33 PM
They are talking of offering up Jo Jo Reyes for Arroyo though...

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 02:33 PM
Are you worried about the amount of prospects they are giving up?

I'd be lying if I say I wasn't, but after all these years, I'm trusting that there are secondary prospects they have developing moreso than others know about.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 02:35 PM
It's the fucking trade deadline, nobody gives a rat's ass about Garnett until an hour from now.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 02:37 PM
Goddamnit, Steve Phillips. Piss in a cup! I don't want to hear Ray Ray's thoughts right now.

Melmart1
07-31-2007, 02:37 PM
It's the fucking trade deadline, nobody gives a rat's ass about Garnett until an hour from now.
no shit! are you watching espn2? I moved to that channel specifically becauese I thought there was a whole hour of coverage until the deadline. What the fuck is this shit??!!? I don't want to hear Ray Ray talk about how he has never played with a dominant big man. I guess he has only had sand and submissive big men in his vagina, then!

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 02:39 PM
And I hate that I can't get XM 175 online.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 02:41 PM
Hmmm...Dodgers looking at Troy Percival from the Cards according to Stark.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 02:42 PM
I thought Percival's arm had fallen off.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 02:43 PM
Wow. BoSox picking up the 3.6M in Gagne's performance bonuses.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 02:52 PM
What was the Mateo deal? I was on the phone.

Marklar MM
07-31-2007, 02:54 PM
Wow. BoSox picking up the 3.6M in Gagne's performance bonuses.

That was more than likely the only way to get Gagne to waive the no-trade clause.

CubanMustGo
07-31-2007, 03:16 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2955966

Red Sox upgrade bullpen with Gagne deal

ESPN.com news services
Updated: July 31, 2007, 4:06 PM ET

Eric Gagne is headed to Boston to bolster the Red Sox's bullpen.

Sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney that the Red Sox and Rangers agreed in principle on a deal for Texas' closer. In exchange, Boston will send pitcher Kason Gabbard and minor leaguer outfielders Engel Beltre and David Murphy to the Rangers.

Gagne waived his no-trade clause to join the American League East leaders and agreed to be Boston's set-up man after the Red Sox restructured the reliever's contract. Boston will pick up $2.1 million in Gagne's performance bonuses, while the Rangers will pay $400,000.

Gagne joins a bullpen that includes All-Star closer Jonathan Papelbon and ranks as having the best ERA in the majors (2.74) and fewest blown saves (four).

Gagne is 2-0 this season with a 2.16 ERA and 16 saves as the Texas Rangers closer.

TxJudsonRocketTx
07-31-2007, 03:34 PM
This Gagne trade is fucking bullshit for my fantasy team goddamnit

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 03:44 PM
This Gagne trade is fucking bullshit for my fantasy team goddamnit

That's on you.

What team was going to trade for him where he could be a closer? Even if he stayed with Texas, he wasn't going to get you a ton of saves that would have moved you up the ladder a whole lot. Where are you as far as saves go? If you're at or near the bottom, sacrifice saves for something to get you over the top.

You should have traded him two/three weeks ago. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't.

I traded Dunn in a NL-only league for Garrett Atkins because I was sure Dunn would go to the AL or a pitcher's park. I was in need of a 3B, so I took my chances.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 03:49 PM
Has anybody mentioned how ungodly good this makes the Sox bullpen now?

You'd better score in the first six, because Okajima, Gagne, Papelbon is scary.

dmac
07-31-2007, 03:50 PM
Yeah I think they both stay in the bullpen. With Lester ready and Schilling about to come back, the Sox don't really need another starter. But now, the bullpen depth is amazing and since the Skanks didn't really upgrade much, I think this ... eh, I am not gonna say it. I am not gonna jinx it.
I have a lot of doubts about Schilling. We'll just have to see.
And yes, don't jinx it!

:elephant

TxJudsonRocketTx
07-31-2007, 03:52 PM
That's on you.

What team was going to trade for him where he could be a closer? Even if he stayed with Texas, he wasn't going to get you a ton of saves that would have moved you up the ladder a whole lot. Where are you as far as saves go? If you're at or near the bottom, sacrifice saves for something to get you over the top.

You should have traded him two/three weeks ago. Sometimes they work out, sometimes they don't.

I traded Dunn in a NL-only league for Garrett Atkins because I was sure Dunn would go to the AL or a pitcher's park. I was in need of a 3B, so I took my chances.

I'm near the bottom in total saves throughout the year, but after I added Kevin Gregg I was having Papelbon, Isirnghausen, and Gagne dominate every week for the past couple of months, then I added Corpas and I've been not having to worry about saves at all once thursday hit. Hopefully Danny Wheeler gets a closing spot somewhere, be it Seattle or Tampa

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 03:55 PM
Having Papelbon, Izzy and Corpas is pretty good.

Package Gagne to somebody that needs WHIP or ERA in your league for a small need you have.

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 03:57 PM
Analysis of the deal from MLB.TV says "Theo's robbed the Rangers."

Melmart1
07-31-2007, 04:02 PM
Robbed the Rangers for a two-month rental? :lol

Johnny_Blaze_47
07-31-2007, 04:03 PM
Robbed the Rangers for a two-month rental? :lol

He's saying that since BOS gave up "their 7th starter" for the chance to lock up that bullpen, that's how they got by.

Melmart1
07-31-2007, 04:06 PM
I see. But saying that the Rangers got fleeced implies they got nothing in return for Gagne. I think they got a great deal, three long-term players (one MLB-ready) is better than the one or two sandwich picks they would have gotten for him.

But yeah, considering the price I think the Sox just punched their ticket to a pennant, maybe more. I was surprised by how stubborn the Skanks were, they are going to have trouble even getting into the playoffs now, imho.

dg7md
07-31-2007, 04:12 PM
Ugh

monosylab1k
07-31-2007, 05:19 PM
He's saying that since BOS gave up "their 7th starter" for the chance to lock up that bullpen, that's how they got by.

yeah but Boston's 7th starter is probably our 3rd.

i think this was a great deal, even if he wanted to stay I doubt a realistic deal would have happened, especially considering Gagne's agent is The Baseball Anti-Christ.

John Patrick
07-31-2007, 08:10 PM
Has anybody mentioned how ungodly good this makes the Sox bullpen now?

You'd better score in the first six, because Okajima, Gagne, Papelbon is scary.

clearly the beast in the AL...

wait I meant best, but beast works too..

I guess the yanks really like Cabrera..

DisgruntledLionFan#54,927
07-31-2007, 11:16 PM
They'll need that bullpen, because outside of Beckett, their SP hasn't exactly been stellar.

BTW, Boston did extremely well in this trade. Gabbard is a #4 at best and the two prospects they gave up aren't even close to being their best/top prospects.

whottt
08-01-2007, 12:18 AM
Hey how anyone can say the Rangers got the bad end of this deal is beyond me...

They are having their usual season and the guy was signed for one year to see if he had anything. They even got Gagne to accept the trade to the team they wanted him to go to.

It's a win win for the Rangers....

Not that they'll stop sucking anytime soon or anything, no matter how good a trade they make. And I say this as a life long RangerFan.

Pitching in a decade?

They've never had pitching...they've had a couple of good pitchers scattered around 3 decades...but they've never had good pitching.

But they at least used to be fun to watch...most of the time.

I wish someone would shoot Tim Hicks in the head...nothing personal or anything. IT'd just be the best way he could take one for the team(pointblanksawedoffshotgun).

Anyway...Gagne will probably be back next season if the Rangers want him. He's not going to stay in Boston and be a setup man.

T Park
08-01-2007, 12:21 AM
Hmmm...Dodgers looking at Troy Percival from the Cards according to Stark

Good thing the Cardinals didn't do it.

Percival has been a stud since he signed with the birds.

monosylab1k
08-01-2007, 06:57 AM
Anyway...Gagne will probably be back next season if the Rangers want him.
yeah he's said all along that he wanted to stay in Texas, and in his press conference Daniels said that they'd strongly consider pursuing him in free agency. Let the Red Sox rent him for 2 months and then take him back with a few decent prospects? Works for me.

BeerIsGood!
08-01-2007, 08:44 AM
yeah he's said all along that he wanted to stay in Texas, and in his press conference Daniels said that they'd strongly consider pursuing him in free agency. Let the Red Sox rent him for 2 months and then take him back with a few decent prospects? Works for me.

That would be a sweet scenario if it plays out

dallaskd
08-01-2007, 05:26 PM
I like it. Gabbard is a stud.

Jimcs50
08-02-2007, 07:30 PM
Anyway...Gagne will probably be back next season if the Rangers want him. He's not going to stay in Boston and be a setup man.

not so sure about that....

BOSTON (AP) -- It didn't matter to Eric Gagne that he couldn't earn a save in his Boston Red Sox debut.

Coming in from the bullpen to a standing ovation from the sold-out crowd at Fenway Park, Gagne overpowered his first two batters Thursday in Boston's 7-4 victory over Baltimore.

It was the first appearance for the former Rangers closer since he agreed to a trade that relegated him to a setup role with the Red Sox.

"It was awesome," Gagne said. "I was a little nervous. But the adrenaline kicked in and the fans really got me going."

I THINK HE WILL LIKE BEING PART OF A GREAT UNIT, AND THIS ONE WILL BE ONE OF THE BEST IN HISTORY

tlongII
08-02-2007, 10:11 PM
See you in Seattle tomorrow!

Jimcs50
08-03-2007, 09:40 AM
See you in Seattle tomorrow!

I hate it when the Sox have to play the day before and then fly all across the country to play you guys the very next day.....

Oh well, we should win 2 of the 3 anyway.

:)

Jimcs50
08-06-2007, 08:00 AM
I hate it when the Sox have to play the day before and then fly all across the country to play you guys the very next day.....

Oh well, we should win 2 of the 3
anyway.

:smokin

Pretty good prediction, considering that the Sox had not won in Seattle since the Clinton administration.

:)