PDA

View Full Version : Barnes the best of weak free-agent crop

Spurs Brazil
07-31-2007, 06:03 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nba/story/7075794

As we enter the dog days of summer, several free agents in various categories are still in limbo. Let's take a look at the most appealing of these and have a go at which teams might benefit best by signing them.

MATT BARNES (U) is the best of the lot. If his defense is problematic, he's an inspired 3-point shooter and a high-stepping driver. Barnes also tends to make egregious mistakes in the clutch. His particular talents make him a valuable scorer off the bench, a role that apparently dissatisfies him — only because he yearns for starter's money.

He'd provide Cleveland with a much more reliable long-range bomber than either Damon Jones or Donyell Marshall. He'd also mesh with Denver's scheme of things as the recipient of A.I.'s and Melo's left-over shots. Detroit could surely use a hot-shot sixth man. Barnes would most likely have a great shot at starting for the Pacers. Other friendly landing spots would be the Lakers and the Heat. Aside from re-upping with Golden State, Barnes' madcap game would be a perfect fit in Phoenix.

CHRIS WEBBER (U) is the biggest name-player still on the loose. He's certainly the oldest 34-year-old player in the league, but he still retains a modicum of his former skills. He can occasionally hit his line-drive jumpers. Also a jump hook from the right box, but only if his defender buys his fake left. Webber can rebound if there are no opponents in the immediate area. And he's still a wondrous passer.

Defense? Forget it. He's incapable of playing anybody straight-up and his rotations are usually too tardy to be useful.

Even so, Webber's worst failing has nothing to do with his brittle knees or his premature aging. Even when he was a sprightly rookie, he's always been profoundly short-handed whenever a game was up for grabs. Indeed, as the Pistons got deeper and deeper into last season's playoffs, Webber spent more and more time on the pines.

Where, then, might the remains of Chris Webber find a new home?

The only realistic destination would be a championship-minded squad that needs more ball movement in its offense. His passing skills would certainly be maximized in the Lakers' triangle offense, but Webber has little else to offer there. Perhaps Orlando or Houston could use his nifty passwork. Could the Pistons be silly enough to bring him back?

Dallas would be the best landing place for Webber. Because his presence would liven up their ball movement. And because, playing with the likes of Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry, Devin Harris and Josh Howard, Webber's chokeability would hardly be noticed.

RUBEN PATTERSON (U) is the best defender who's still homeless. Besides his belligerent defense, Patterson can post-up some, can drive along the baseline like a runaway truck, and can assault the offensive boards. Because of his afflicted jumper, however, he needs to play with a team that doesn't need any offensive production from him.

Patterson's off-the-court antics also make him an undesirable risk for any team that is depending on nurturing young, impressionable players. Moreover, Patterson will quickly become a malcontent if he fails to get the playing time and the shot opportunities that he thinks he deserves.

If he could ever accept a part-time role, Patterson would thrive in Dallas, which desperately needs another rugged defender besides DeSagana Diop. Also in Detroit, Indiana, Memphis, Philadelphia and Toronto. But Patterson would be best suited to put some starch in Washington's limp defense.

EARL BOYKINS (PO) is an erratic, yet explosive scorer. But that's all, folks.

In a perfect world, he'd wind up in Golden State for several reasons:

His lack of defense would go unnoticed.

As would his inability to initiate an offensive set.

As would his difficulty in making accurate passes.

In fact, Boykins would undoubtedly thrive in Nellie's shoot-‘em-up, helter-skelter offense.
ANDERSON VAREJAO (R) is an excellent hustle-player with no discernible offense.

With Iverson and Anthony contributing mega-offense, imagine how much ground Varejao and Marcus Camby could cover on defense. The Pacers could likewise make good use of Varejao, as could the Clippers, the Grizz, Bucks, T-Wolves, Magic, Suns, Kings and even the Spurs. But the Cavs would be extremely foolish not to re-sign him.

DEE BROWN (R) plays fast and loose. DANNY FORTSON (U) is much more trouble than he's worth. MELVIN ELY (U) is a career under-achiever. JANNERO PARGO (PO) is a shoot-first-last-and-always pointless guard. Ditto for EDDIE HOUSE (U). DAHNTAY JONES (R) is an athletic 12th man. MICKAEL PIETRUS (R) has a foolishly bloated opinion of his own exuberant but undisciplined talents. And Cleveland cannot afford to let SASHA PAVLOVIC (R) play elsewhere.

That leaves a collection of virtually useless, unrestricted, used-to-be's such as James Posey, Jalen Rose, Corliss Williamson and Eddie Jones.

In other words, at this point in the off-season, teams will look to significantly improve themselves through trades rather than free-agent signings.

Cant_Be_Faded
07-31-2007, 06:04 PM
LOL at all the Nazr-esque mental mistakes Barnes made in the Dallas series.

I'd still like to sign him though. Give him the rookie treatment and brainwash all those bad habits away under the Pop system.

ducks
07-31-2007, 06:05 PM
MICKAEL PIETRUS (R) has a foolishly bloated opinion of his own exuberant but undisciplined talents.

ducks
07-31-2007, 06:06 PM
Ime Udoka does not count?

zekes
07-31-2007, 06:21 PM
Dallas would be the best landing place for Webber. Because his presence would liven up their ball movement. And because, playing with the likes of Dirk Nowitzki, Jason Terry, Devin Harris and Josh Howard, Webber's chokeability would hardly be noticed.

Ed Helicopter Jones
07-31-2007, 06:21 PM
Let's sign Eddie Jones and Jalen Rose to counter the Suns signing of Grant Hill.

Mr. Body
07-31-2007, 07:11 PM
Udoka isn't widely known in the league at all. He played well for a below average, young team last year, but has had no long-term success in the league whatsoever. He shouldn't be mentioned anywhere on this list above the other guys.

ShoogarBear
07-31-2007, 07:36 PM
Damn, I can spot a Rosen column within the first four sentences.

Spursfury
07-31-2007, 11:33 PM
Matt Barnes would fit in good with the team we have in place right now. He showed me enough this past year when GS played Dallas in the first round. Everytime, Dirk got the ball he put the heat on Dirk forcing him to either shoot a highly contested shot or pass it back out. We would have Bowen & Barnes that would be great. Dallas nor Phoenix would have a chance against us next year. :hungry:

The Truth #6
07-31-2007, 11:41 PM
Uduoka is still the more likely choice given Pop's personality and Holt's pocketbook, I would think

traitoravery
08-01-2007, 12:04 AM

:lol :lol :lol Thats great.....

Darkwaters
08-01-2007, 12:37 AM
:lol :lol :lol Thats great.....
That was a pretty funny comment. Make it happen Dallas!

Streakyshooter08
08-01-2007, 05:09 AM
I could imagine that Barnes leaves GS if they resign Piertrus. They would be pretty much set at the wings with Pietrus, Jackson, Azubuike and Belinelli. I wonder what teams are interested in signing him. Memphis does not have enough money. I think he would be a good fit in Boston but I don't know if they want to spend a lot of money. I really wonder why there are still so many players without a team.

MoSpur
08-01-2007, 09:19 AM
I like Barnes, but I think he played the way he played because it was a contract year.

wildbill2u
08-01-2007, 02:07 PM
I really wonder why there are still so many players without a team.
It's the normal attrition rate of aging and marginal players who give way to younger and new marginal players on rosters.

Throw in a few ego, attitude or legal problems, add a higher price tag for similar or equal talents, and these guys are history on NBA rosters.

And If the draft class of this year is as deep and as good as predicted, then there will be a lot more rookies who take roster spots away from vets this year.

dmac
08-01-2007, 02:13 PM
LOL at all the Nazr-esque mental mistakes Barnes made in the Dallas series.

I'd still like to sign him though. Give him the rookie treatment and brainwash all those bad habits away under the Pop system.
Rookie treatment = free trip to Europe for 2-3 years.

I'll take it!

:dizzy

Streakyshooter08
08-02-2007, 11:24 AM
Looks like Barnes has a new agent. It will be interesting what kind of contract he gets.
Seems like he wants to stay with GS.

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47438/20070802/barnes_gets_rid_of_fegan_for_goodwin/

Mr. Body
08-02-2007, 02:57 PM
Fegan's been a bit of a crap-out this offseason, with another high profile guy he promised a lot of money to (Varejao?) getting bupkis too.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-03-2007, 11:26 AM
Warriors getting busy filling out roster
By Geoff Lepper
CONTRA COSTA TIMES

Article Launched: 08/03/2007 03:02:16 AM PDT

OAKLAND -- After weeks of inactivity this offseason, the Warriors roster is rapidly filling up.
Ten-year veteran forward Austin Croshere is expected to sign a one-year deal with Golden State this morning, team sources said. And the Warriors have inked 2006 draft pick Kosta Perovic to a multiyear deal, according to Perovic's agent, Bill Duffy.

The moves mean Golden State -- which had no official comment on either signing but is expected to announce both deals today -- has 14 of its 15 roster slots filled. That includes restricted free-agent forward Mickael Pietrus, who is on the Warriors' books at the team's qualifying offer of $3.47 million, and doesn't leave much room for rookie forward Stephan Lasme, a second-round selection, unrestricted free-agent forward Matt Barnes or any other new acquisition they might be targeting.

Croshere, 6-foot-9 and 235 pounds, averaged 3.7 points and 3.0 rebounds last season in limited action for the Dallas Mavericks (11.9 minutes per game). His best season came in 1999-2000, when he averaged 10.3 points and 6.4 boards per game for an Indiana Pacers team that went to the NBA Finals.

At his peak with the Pacers, Croshere shot nearly 40 percent from the 3-point line, but he hit only 28.6 percent from distance last season.

Croshere, 32, is well-known by several Warriors. As the No. 12 overall selection in 1997, Croshere spent his rookie season with the Pacers as a teammate of Warriors executive vice president Chris Mullin.

In addition to Mullin, Croshere played in Indiana with current Warriors Al Harrington, Stephen Jackson and Sarunas Jasikevicius. Croshere also has ties with star guard Baron Davis -- the two were teammates as prep stars at Crossroads School in Santa Monica.

Perovic, 7-2 and 240 pounds, is much more of an unknown. The 38th overall selection two summers ago signed off Wednesday on his deal, which Duffy said "shows a commitment to (Perovic)."

It's believed Perovic will receive approximately $5 million over three years, although $1 million of that will go toward Perovic's buyout from his European club, Partizan Belgrade. The total buyout was $1.5 million; the Warriors, per league regulations, are allowed to pick up only $500,000 of that tab.

Croshere is believed to be receiving the league-mandated minimum of $1.22 million, but since he's on a one-year deal, the team will be responsible for only $771,000. The league will pick up the rest of Croshere's salary, thanks to rules meant to keep veteran free agents from becoming prohibitively expensive when rounding out a roster.

If Pietrus returns to play out the one-year qualifying offer, the Warriors will have $60.2 million committed to their 14 players in 2007-08, leaving them $7.8 million under the luxury-tax threshold.

"There's intentions to continue to make this team better and to put the resources in position and to manage the resources properly to be able to accomplish our objective, and that is to put a better basketball team out on the floor than we had last year," team president Robert Rowell said on KNBR radio. "I think we're putting those things in motion, and we're not finished doing what we need to do."

http://www.contracostatimes.com/warriors/ci_6534483?nclick_check=1

Streakyshooter08
08-03-2007, 11:33 AM
Mhm... seems like GS is not really that interested in him. He played really well for them last year, so I wonder why. It will be interesting where he will land.

stretch
08-03-2007, 11:51 AM
Charley Rosen is the worst sportswriter in history.