PDA

View Full Version : Pippen the focus of Bulls media day

ducks
10-03-2003, 01:52 PM
Thursday, October 2
Pippen the focus of Bulls media day
Associated Press

DEERFIELD, Ill. (AP) _ Scottie Pippen was back in a Chicago Bulls uniform for the first time in five years, and it didn't take long for the veteran to help out his new teammates.

With Pippen surrounded by a throng reporters during Chicago's annual media day, the rest of the Bulls quietly walked into the team's practice facility and went largely unnoticed. Thursday was the first day for veterans to report to training camp.

``I like that I can walk in and Scottie's at the podium,'' Jalen Rose said with a laugh. ``I can slide in like I'm 21. I love it.''

Pippen was brought back to Chicago, where he and Michael Jordan won six championships in the 1990s, to help tutor the younger players and show them how to win _ something the Bulls have struggled to do since Pippen last played for the Bulls.

The 38-year-old Pippen signed a two-year, $10 million deal to return to Chicago and finish his career. He joins a team that looks nothing like the one that he left.

So what's it like to pull on the Bulls jersey again?

``It feels great. Obviously, I'm really happy to be back in Chicago,'' Pippen said. ``It's a different team, it's a different challenge for me, but I'm very happy.''

So are the Bulls.

Chicago has won only 66 games the past three seasons and have gone through two rebuilding plans since the team's last title in 1997-98 _ though things are finally looking up.

The Bulls won 30 games last season and have seen steady improvement from big men Eddie Curry and Tyson Chandler, as well as guard Jamal Crawford.

Pippen said he's here to make sure that progress continues.

``I'm sure they're tired of losing,'' he said. ``It starts on the practice floor. They understand that they have to work a little harder, they have to give a little more.

``They realize that we have the talent here.''

Given the way he left, Pippen's return to Chicago where he expects to finish his career was somewhat of a surprise.

Before the final championship season, Pippen threatened to never play again for Chicago after being the subject of offseason trade rumors. There also was an ugly contract dispute with then-general manager Jerry Krause, and Pippen was ultimately traded to the Houston Rockets before the 1998-99 season.

But Krause is no longer with Chicago, and Pippen said any bad feelings between himself and the Bulls are in the past. And it helps that his old teammates, Bill Cartwright and John Paxson, are currently the team's head coach and general manager.

``Having Bill here as a coach _ one of my greatest teammates _ and John Paxson the general manager, those are two guys that I respected a lot,'' he said. ``It made the decision very easy.''

It wasn't a difficult choice for Paxson, either.

``I'm thrilled that he's here. It's good for our organization, it's good for this basketball team,'' Paxson said. ``I think we've got a real good blend of veterans and young guys.''

Pippen played the last four season in Portland, where he helped lead the Trail Blazers to the playoffs each season.

He had arthroscopic surgery on his left knee March 18, missed 17 games and then saw limited playing time against Dallas in the playoffs. He said Thursday that the knee was fully healed.

Pippen averaged 10.8 points and a team-high 4.4 assists last season with the Trail Blazers.

``I think it will be up to me to decide when to pull back a little bit,'' he said. ``I realize that I'm not the player that I was when I left here, but I also realize that I can help this team win.

``This was a great situation for me to come back and finish my career.'' link (http://sports.espn.go.com/sports/gen/wire?messageId=24273147)