PDA

View Full Version : Cynthia McKinney vs Chris Shays

Nbadan
08-01-2007, 04:55 PM
The Double Standard: Cynthia McKinney vs Chris Shays
by: thomashooker
Mon Jul 23, 2007 at 12:05:40 PM EDT

Just over a year ago, the national mainstream media went ballistic over African-American Democratic congresswoman Cynthia McKinney's confrontation with a Capitol police officer. The officer didn't recognize that McKinney was a congresswoman as she went around the metal detectors when entering the Capitol building and tried to stop her. Fox News went nuts, including right-wing inquisitor Sean Hannity, in what newshounds.com referred to as the "high-tech lynching of Cynthia McKinney." Right-wing hatemonger Michelle Malkin called McKinney "looney" and "queen-of-the-unhinged" on her website.

Yet when Republican and caucasian congressman Chris Shays of Connecticut (CT-04) went psycho on another Capitol police officer last week, there was barely a peep from the media.

CQ.com said Shays arrived on the scene and confronted the officer “in a profanity-laced tirade.”

Shays “delivered a tongue-lashing, including several instances of the ‘F-word,’ to the officer before grabbing the name tag on the front of his uniform.” CQ.com said.

What actually led Chris Shays to go ballistic and act like a like a crazy person? According to the Hartford Courant:

The incident unfolded like this. Shays was waiting to meet constituents on the east front steps of the Capitol for a photo Thursday afternoon. But the intern guiding the constituents was on the opposite side of the Capitol.

The intern was unsure how to find Shays, so the congressman called on a cellphone and advised the intern to go to the nearest officer and hand him the phone so the officer could help.

But officers apparently can't talk on cellphones while on duty.

Shays, though, thought there could be an exception made in such circumstances because it was raining hard and the constituents were getting soaked. He walked through the Capitol and joined the intern and the constituents, where he confronted the officer.

He "walked through the Capitol and joined the intern and the constituents"? In light of what happened, it sounds more as though Shays "stalked" through the Capitol.

Now let's review exactly what Cynthia McKinney did that made the national media and the Capitol police go bonkers on her. When the officer who didn't recognize McKinney placed his hand on McKinney's shoulder, she reportedly turned around and hit the officer in the chest with her cell phone.

McKinney's brief confrontation with a Capitol police officer seems to pale in comparison with Shays' sustained profanity-filled rant punctuated by his physical contact with a police officer. But it was enough to send the Capitol police into a rage, and they went all out to prosecute her. They launched an investigation and filed charges of assault against a police officer.

By contrast, look how differently the police treated Chris Shays.

"After personally meeting with the officer, Chief of Police Phillip D. Morse, Sr. and Assistant Chief of Police Dan Nichols discussed the matter with Congressman Shays who acknowledged he acted inappropriately in the heat of the moment and took full responsibility for his actions.

“The Congressman stated his full support and admiration for the officers of the U.S. Capitol Police and offered his apologies.”

So when McKinney hits a police officer in the chest with her cell phone,
the police file assault charges against her. But when a 6' 2" congressman "grabs for his name tag" on his uniform, there's no problem, save a polite conversation from the Capitol police chief.

When it comes to a conservative Republican congressman, there are no assault charges, no subpoenas, no witnesses called to testify to his laying of hands on a Capitol police officer. They simply have a polite chat and the matter ends. No tantrums from Fox News or Michelle Malkin either. Hey, he's not black, he's not a Democrat. He's a Neocon supporter of the Iraq War who backs George Bush's unlimited right to wiretap American citizens without a warrant. So why make a big deal out of it?

Sounds fair and balanced to me.

Linky (http://www.myleftnutmeg.com/showDiary.do?diaryId=7566)

Maybe this piece will help explain the double standard...

McKinney Sues Atlanta Journal-Constitution: The Corporate Plan to Crush Black Resistance (http://counterpunch.com/ford08012007.html)

The assaults against McKinney's character and seven-term career are but one skirmish in a nationwide corporate offensive that was sketched out by rightwing strategists in the mid-Nineties and fully implemented in the early years of the Bush regime. For the first time, corporate American would make a concerted and coordinated effort to cleanse the African American polity of what remained of the Black Freedom Movement. The year 2002 was their D-Day for invasion of black politics. They came strapped with millions in cash, and the supporting artillery of corporate media.

johnsmith
08-01-2007, 06:01 PM
So one person hit an officer and the other didn't, right?

Nbadan
08-02-2007, 03:07 AM
Isn't grabbing any part of an officer assault on a public official? Why don't you go tear the badge off of a rent-a-cop somewhere and see what happens to you...

Jamtas#2
08-02-2007, 11:55 AM
Isn't grabbing any part of an officer assault on a public official? Why don't you go tear the badge off of a rent-a-cop somewhere and see what happens to you...

Grabbing someone's badge and hitting them are not the same thing. Also, from an article when McKinney's incident took place: link (http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=77991)

"Do I have to contact the police every time I change my hairstyle? How do we account for the fact that when I wore my braids every day for 11 years, I still faced this problem, primarily from certain white police officers," the statement says.

The writer details the incident, saying, "I was rushing to my meeting when a white police officer yelled to me. He approached me, bodyblocked me, physically touching me. I used my arm to get him off of me. I told him not to touch me several times. He asked for my ID and I showed it to him. He then let me go and I proceeded to my meeting and I assume that the Police Officer resumed his duties. I have counseled with the Sergeant-at-Arms and Acting Assistant Chief Thompson several times before and counseled with them again on today's incident. I offered also to counsel with the offending police officer."

So hitting an officer and then inferring he is racist and taking no responsibilty (at least intially, she did apologize a week later) will definately cause a bigger reaction than grabbing for his badge, cussing at him and then taking full responsibility and apologizing for your actions.

George Gervin's Afro
08-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Dan aggressively grabbing a cop's shirt while cursing him is comletely different :rolleyes from calling him a white cop and punching him in the chest. I guess if Mckinnley would have called him a dumb a** and grabbed at him FAUx News would have never whored the story they way they did..

Jamtas#2
08-02-2007, 12:07 PM
Dan aggressively grabbing a cop's shirt while cursing him is comletely different :rolleyes from calling him a white cop and punching him in the chest. I guess if Mckinnley would have called him a dumb a** and grabbed at him FAUx News would have never whored the story they way they did..

Glad you get the difference. Calling someone racist to the media after attacking them does get the capitol police a bit madder than yelling at them and apologizing, not to say that they didn't care about Shay's inappropriate behavior, but to say the capitol police has a double standard due to race is a bit off with these two examples.

McKinney's brief confrontation with a Capitol police officer seems to pale in comparison with Shays' sustained profanity-filled rant punctuated by his physical contact with a police officer. But it was enough to send the Capitol police into a rage, and they went all out to prosecute her. They launched an investigation and filed charges of assault against a police officer.
By contrast, look how differently the police treated Chris Shays.

That is what I was referring to.

Yonivore
08-02-2007, 01:20 PM
I think there are two differences in the Shays and McKinney incidents that need to be considered. One over which the respective Congresspeople have no control and the other over which they do.

1) Officer discretion. Presumably, there were two different officers involved in the incidents and whether or not criminal charges are pursued is largely their call. In the case of Cynthia McKinney, it appears the officer wanted to pursue charges; in the Shays incident, not so much. You can't fault the respective Congresspeople for how their actions are responded to by the police.

2) Congressperson's response. McKinney whined on for quite a while after the incident, deflecting blame and claiming victimhood. Shays apologized immediately and profusely and publicly, accepting full responsibility for his actions.

Number 2 may have some effect on number 1.

Peace out!

xrayzebra
08-02-2007, 02:59 PM
There is no double standard. Just the dimm-o-craptic view
and the Republican lie.

Yonivore
08-02-2007, 05:54 PM
Cops don't like black people.

corso.
What about black cops?

TLWisfoine
08-03-2007, 01:03 PM