PDA

View Full Version : OK Bash This

BigVee
12-10-2004, 12:56 PM
Barry has played in 21 games. In the 12 games where he plays more than 20 minutes his overall FG% is 46.7%, going over 50% 6 times. In the 9 games where he has played 20 minutes or less games his overall FG% is 21.9%, going over 50% once. A shooter needs to play and not come in for a few minutes and look over his shoulder. If POP does not intend to use him that way, then he should be dealt for a defensive big man to guard R Lewis, McGrady, whomever. He is doing us absolutely no good as it is. Before you ask, 9-3 in the 12 games for 75% winning % and 7-2 in the other games..77%.

I am afraid we are back to the low scoring, sweat-out the FT games of yesteryear.

I know, I know, I am full of it.

Why does it matter, if Brown is doing the job now? Because we got this guy for playoff crunch time when the calls don't come to young players, they close down on TD and we need someone to hit from outside. How effective will he be after logging 8 minutes a game for the entire year and have his confidence level at -10?

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-10-2004, 01:47 PM
There's even more to it than that. Stay tuned.

conversekid
12-10-2004, 01:52 PM
Very true thread... Barry needs to stay in there until he works it out. He needs to know he won't be put on the bench because he isn't playing that great right now... one becomes gun shy after a bit... how many times have you seen him pass up an open 3? Probably afraid poop will yell at him if he misses.

bigzak25
12-10-2004, 02:21 PM
I support putting in barry for rasho. http://www.extremeskins.com/forums/images/smilies/doh.gif

BigVee
12-10-2004, 02:24 PM
I want less minutes for Bowen and more for Brown and Barry.

Gummi
12-10-2004, 05:36 PM
Pop can't penalize Brown for out-playing Barry. I don't care if Barry's not getting time on the floor as long as Devin is making it up with his play. I was really pumped when I saw Barry had signed with the Spurs and I thought he would be our missing piece from last season, but so far he's not done the job so Pop looked for something else and found that in Devin. Also Devin is a much better on-the-ball defender then Barry.

I've watched all the Spurs games and Barry's getting blown by almost everyone he guards. I hope Barry gets his touch back because we need him over the course of the season, I'm not sure Devin will be this solid all season long. But right know Devin is definatly ahead of Barry in the rotation.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2004, 05:41 PM
Barry is shooting 21% for December.

Brown 56%.

End of thread.

BigVee
12-10-2004, 05:46 PM
Barry is shooting 21% for December.

Brown 56%.

End of thread.

Duncan shot 32% against the Rockets. Bench him against Cleveland

ChumpDumper
12-10-2004, 05:48 PM
Duncan shot 32% against the Rockets. Bench him against ClevelandWe don't have anyone to replace Duncan.

Shane Barry has already been replaced by a better player.

BigVee
12-10-2004, 05:50 PM
Time will tell.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2004, 05:50 PM
How much time do you need?

BigVee
12-10-2004, 05:56 PM
More than 6 minutes

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-10-2004, 05:58 PM
It seems to me that a guard named Steve Kerr came off the bench a few years ago in the playoffs after a poor season and slumping minutes...

I'm all in favor of getting Barry some more minutes, I just thought the similarity was kind of funny. Especially since the scouting report I kept hearing about this guy was "think Steve Kerr with functioning knees."

ChumpDumper
12-10-2004, 05:59 PM
Ok, 30mpg for Barry because he's as mentally weak as Hedo.

It is written.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-10-2004, 06:10 PM
That's a questionable comparison Chumpdumper. Hedo came in with a reputation as a streaky shooter who left Sacramento with his confidence shot to hell. Barry is as good a career shooter in the league as the Spurs could get this off season. When Hedo played like did off the bench people said, "I told you so." The way Barry is playing has people saying, "What's wrong with him?"

ChumpDumper
12-10-2004, 06:14 PM
If it's a questionable comparison I have every right to question your wanting to treat him just like the mentally weak Hedo.

If he's better than that, he'll prove it in the time he's given. If not he's just another guy who can't make the big time.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-10-2004, 06:21 PM
Actually that questionable comparison is EXACTLY WHY I think he needs to be handled like Hedo. Hedo managed to actually play up to a good deal of his potential as a shooter with the switch. If Bones can do the same he'll be way better than Hedo ever was for us. I'm not saying that he should necessarily start, but I wouldn't mind seeing him get some Beno minutes or Bruce.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2004, 06:23 PM
This is insanity.

How did Devin get his minutes?

The right way.

The way Barry should get them back if he's half the player everyone thinks he is.

The blueprint is there. The rest is up to Shane.

T Park
12-10-2004, 06:24 PM
I would take some minutes away from Beno and give them to Barry.

IMO, you can develop Beno later.

Barry needs to play now.

Give him 25 minutes a game.

Take some minutes from Parker, Ginobili, Beno, and Bowen.

Kori Ellis
12-10-2004, 06:28 PM
If you give him 20-25 minutes per game and his shooting and D still suck, how many games are you willing to do that at the expense of the team? One game? A week? A month? Longer?

I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with anyone. Just curious how much rope people are willing to give Barry?

ChumpDumper
12-10-2004, 06:29 PM
So, put Barry on the minute welfare program?

What's the quota?

And it doesn't matter if we win or lose right?

As long as Barry gets the minutes his reputation as a championship ballplayer demands.

This is Hedo all over again -- we wasted an entire season on him. Now do the same with Shane?

Just remember we didn't have a choice last year -- now we do and yet you still want to put him on the dole. This is the very definition of insanity.

ALVAREZ6
12-10-2004, 06:41 PM
screw Barry, he isnt performing,

give more minutes to Devin Brown
Devin is proving that he can score and play well in little amount of minutes.

BigVee
12-10-2004, 06:48 PM
It has nothing to do with anyone's reputation. We are talking about putting the team in the best position to win a championship. How long you go with someone depends on where you want to end up. I think we want a shooter of his caliber comfortable in our system who can put us over the edge when the going gets tough. If you feel that Brown is the guy to do that, then I wouldn't waste any time on BB. I just happen to feel that we won't get there without a confident, integrated Barry. My opinion. The stats show that we have the same winning percentage regardless of his minutes so as long as the team is winning I would keep trying to get a rotation that allows him to play to his potential. Is that 30 games? 50? I don't know. But I do know we will never get there at 10 minutes a game.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2004, 06:51 PM
If you feel that Brown is the guy to do that, then I wouldn't waste any time on BB.Ok, I do feel that way. It's up to Shane to prove otherwise, and he has to do it the way Devin did.

One minute at a time.

BigVee
12-10-2004, 06:53 PM
You're entitled.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2004, 06:56 PM
You're entitled.But Barry isn't. No welfare minutes.

spurs_fan_in_exile
12-10-2004, 07:01 PM
On the 17th the spurs have a btb against the hornets and warriors. Get him a ton of minutes against those clowns and see what he can do. It may not be a perfect test of them but I think Pop has needed to challenge him like he did Tony and Manu a year or two ago.

Rummpd
12-10-2004, 11:08 PM
One can say anything with statistics as he has been mainly in blowouts. Right now Rasho and Barry have a head case club ala Turk going.

Until he makes multiple clutch and/or regular shots - no more than 15 minutes per game for Barry.

MadDoc ( a physician epidemiologist).

Aggie Hoopsfan
12-10-2004, 11:33 PM
Until he makes multiple clutch and/or regular shots

What do you call the FTs against Detroit last week when the rest of the team had been anything but clutch in blowing a 21 point lead in the second half?

TwoHandJam
12-10-2004, 11:58 PM
I think Pop should definitely give Barry more than 6mpg to break out of his slump. Barry is no Hedo. This is a guy who is a proven veteran with a career fg% of .462 that shot over .50 just last year. How many guards have ever shot above .50 for an entire season? It's a pretty select group. I can only think of Cassell and Sczerbiak off the top of my head. Barry has done it twice. He's not some washed up has-been to kick to the curb because he's having trouble integrating with a new team.

I don't agree that he should neccessarily see more minutes than Devin the way Devin has been playing lately but he definitely deserves more time than the 6mpg Pop has doled out to him the past 2 games. Barry is a seasoned vet who brings a lot of experience to the table. He has pg skills to bail out Beno when he is sucking and his passing is always great even when he's not shooting well. Not to bash Devin but it was evident he's still very green in some situations (e.g. driving into Ming with the game in hand). I'm sure Barry could see more time than 6mpg. No one is going to break out of a slump with that kind of time and we will need all our guns to win a title this year. Pop shouldn't underestimate him like he did with Kerr in 2003.

SequSpur
12-10-2004, 11:59 PM
If you give him 20-25 minutes per game and his shooting and D still suck, how many games are you willing to do that at the expense of the team? One game? A week? A month? Longer?

I'm not disagreeing or agreeing with anyone. Just curious how much rope people are willing to give Barry?

The Spurs without Barry and Beno went home in the second round.

I would hope that they play Barry more and let him learn the system. Dude will come around. The Spurs have a solid record right now and he is not the reason the Spurs lost a few games.

Close games = Spurs loss = Poor Execution = Team Coached by Pop.

Dex
12-11-2004, 12:07 AM
What do you call the FTs against Detroit last week when the rest of the team had been anything but clutch in blowing a 21 point lead in the second half?

Great call. He iced that game for our team after sitting on the bench for the majority of the game.

Other than that, he hasn't had the CHANCE to make any spectacular plays or clutch shots. When you come in for the last half of the first quarter and a few minutes in the third, it's hard to do ANYTHING that is considered clutch. Everything just gets lost in that flow of the game, and he's always sitting back on the bench before he's able to make an impact, even if he's hit a couple shots.

I'm not saying his play has been spectecular lately. His defense has been stagnant and his stroke is definitely not what it should be. Regardless, Barry is never in the game at a time to prove himself, and the only way he can impress anybody is to have another 5/5 night from the arc. Which is incredibly hard to do when your playing like 10 mpg.