PDA

View Full Version : The New Big Three: Where Will They Rank?

SRJ
08-01-2007, 10:38 PM
Let's discuss great trios in NBA history:

Minneapolis Lakers - Mikan, Pollard, Mikkelsen: Won four championships (1950, 52-54)
Boston Celtics - Bird, Parish, McHale: Won three championships (1981, 84, 86)
Los Angeles Lakers - Magic, Kareem, Worthy: Won three championships (1985, 87, 88)
San Antonio Spurs - Duncan, Parker, Ginobili: Won three championships (2003, 05, 07)

Now, you've got that group on the one hand. On the other:

Los Angeles Lakers - Chamberlain, Baylor, West: Didn't win a title until after Baylor retired
Philadelphia 76ers - M. Malone, Erving, Barkley: Malone and Erving were past their prime and Barkley hadn't entered it yet.
Houston Rockets - Olajuwon, Barkley, Drexler: Only reached the conference finals
Dallas Mavericks - Nowitzki, Nash, Finley: Nowitzki is the only one left now, and together they could only reach the conference finals

So...what does the new Big Three look like - the top half, or the bottom?

monosylab1k
08-01-2007, 10:50 PM
Dirk, Nash, Finley > Old ass Hakeem, old ass Barkley, old ass Drexler

and the new big 3 is somewhere near the top of the bottom bracket.

jdaveah
08-01-2007, 11:44 PM
I think Jordan-Pippen-Rodman should be on this list.

stretch
08-02-2007, 06:33 AM
Jordan-Pippen-Rodman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Duncan, Ginobili, Parker

Findog
08-02-2007, 07:02 AM
Let's discuss great trios in NBA history:

Minneapolis Lakers - Mikan, Pollard, Mikkelsen: Won four championships (1950, 52-54)
Boston Celtics - Bird, Parish, McHale: Won three championships (1981, 84, 86)
Los Angeles Lakers - Magic, Kareem, Worthy: Won three championships (1985, 87, 88)
San Antonio Spurs - Duncan, Parker, Ginobili: Won three championships (2003, 05, 07)

Now, you've got that group on the one hand. On the other:

Los Angeles Lakers - Chamberlain, Baylor, West: Didn't win a title until after Baylor retired
Philadelphia 76ers - M. Malone, Erving, Barkley: Malone and Erving were past their prime and Barkley hadn't entered it yet.
Houston Rockets - Olajuwon, Barkley, Drexler: Only reached the conference finals
Dallas Mavericks - Nowitzki, Nash, Finley: Nowitzki is the only one left now, and together they could only reach the conference finals

So...what does the new Big Three look like - the top half, or the bottom?

Well, I don't know about "Big Threes," but the duo of Magic and Kareem won five titles, while the duo of Jordan and Pippen won six.

ShoogarBear
08-02-2007, 08:31 AM
Dirk, Nash, Finley > Old ass Hakeem, old ass Barkley, old ass DrexlerExcept that the old asses got closer to winning the Western Conference than the Dallas 3 ever did.

Findog
08-02-2007, 08:53 AM
Except that the old asses got closer to winning the Western Conference than the Dallas 3 ever did.

To be fair, Nash and Finley almost forced a seventh game in the de-facto NBA Finals without Dirk. The Mavs would've beaten the Nets.

monosylab1k
08-02-2007, 09:05 AM
Except that the old asses got closer to winning the Western Conference than the Dallas 3 ever did.
how so? Both teams got as far as game 6 of the WCF, and if not for a miracle barrage of 3's from Kerr and Jackson, Dallas would have forced a game 7.

MrChug
08-02-2007, 09:11 AM
Jordan-Pippen-Rodman >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Duncan, Ginobili, Parker

I'm going with Jordan-Pippen-Grant (was THE mainstay in development/dominance of the original Bulls team)

As far as amazing to see, great offensive basketball

Mullin-Mitch Richmond-Tim Hardaway>>>>>>>>>>>Nowitzki-Nash-Finley FTW

ShoogarBear
08-02-2007, 09:13 AM
Houston was actually tied 2-2 with Utah in the 1997 WCF, and essentially changing one play in game 6 and another in game 7 would have sent them to the Finals.

I'm not saying this is a huge disagreement, but if you wanted to split hairs on the facts, it's easier to argue that the Houston trio got farther.

Findog
08-02-2007, 09:30 AM
Houston was actually tied 2-2 with Utah in the 1997 WCF, and essentially changing one play in game 6 and another in game 7 would have sent them to the Finals.

I'm not saying this is a huge disagreement, but if you wanted to split hairs on the facts, it's easier to argue that the Houston trio got farther.

That Houston team would've lost to the Bulls. The Mavs were essentially playing for a championship against the Spurs. 06 Heat >> 03 Nets.

ShoogarBear
08-02-2007, 09:36 AM
That Houston team would've lost to the Bulls. The Mavs were essentially playing for a championship against the Spurs. 06 Heat >> 03 Nets.Not that they necessarily would have won, but the Rockets would probably have done better than the Jazz. Utah took the Bulls to six games without previous Finals appearances. The Rockets' Big Three had significant Finals experience (Olajuwon 3, Drexler 3, Barkley 1) and would have presented Chicago with more matchup issues.

Plus, the Finals experience is another argument in favor of Houston's big Three over the Dallas three (only two Finals combined).

RonMexico
08-03-2007, 02:43 AM
I think the new big 3 is obviously KG, Jesus, and Truth in Beantown.

Give 'em a 3-way MVP in the All-Star game a la Stockton-Malone.

TheAuthority
08-03-2007, 04:58 AM
Bottom

Dalhoop
08-03-2007, 06:32 AM
I'm not really comfertable putting the Spurs "Big Three" in the top group with the others and obviously the Mavs don't belong at all.

The reason is that looking over the list, there are a lot of HOF players listed, and several GOAT candidates. This is not just the case on a single list, but in some cases on a single teams list.

Duncan is a HOF lock, as is Nowitzki ... The next closest to a HOF lock on either team would be Nash with his MVP's.

A case could be made for the other players, but thats just it, a case would have to be made for them, it is not a done deal.

Is Parker and Manu as big a part of those champion teams or was it Duncan and a team defence concept that won the titles? Could the Spurs have had aquired... say Bibby as a PG eight years ago and still won? The answer is Yes. Could they have gotten Richardson instead of Manu and still won? Again, Yes.

Its the team concept, not nessisarly the players (other then Duncan) that has led to the team success. In that reguard its like the Pistons, were the players great or was it the system.

bdictjames
08-03-2007, 08:24 AM
What about Nash-Marion-Amare?

You cant judge them now, they havent played one game together yet!!

lebomb
08-03-2007, 08:58 AM
I'm not really comfertable putting the Spurs "Big Three" in the top group with the others and obviously the Mavs don't belong at all.

The reason is that looking over the list, there are a lot of HOF players listed, and several GOAT candidates. This is not just the case on a single list, but in some cases on a single teams list.

Duncan is a HOF lock, as is Nowitzki ... The next closest to a HOF lock on either team would be Nash with his MVP's.

A case could be made for the other players, but thats just it, a case would have to be made for them, it is not a done deal.

Is Parker and Manu as big a part of those champion teams or was it Duncan and a team defence concept that won the titles? Could the Spurs have had aquired... say Bibby as a PG eight years ago and still won? The answer is Yes. Could they have gotten Richardson instead of Manu and still won? Again, Yes.

Its the team concept, not nessisarly the players (other then Duncan) that has led to the team success. In that reguard its like the Pistons, were the players great or was it the system.

Your argument is full of holes.....first of all Dirk is NOT a HOF lock.....he hasnt really done shit yet. Secondly, a team is about chemistry and who knows if other players besides Parker and Manu on the Spurs would have made a difference.....the other guys may not have meshed.

So, stop trying to talk shit about the Spurs and pump up anyone on the Mavericks.......we have 4 titles.....the Mavericks???.......LMAO!!!!

monosylab1k
08-03-2007, 09:08 AM
Your argument is full of holes.....first of all Dirk is NOT a HOF lock.....he hasnt really done shit yet. Secondly, a team is about chemistry and who knows if other players besides Parker and Manu on the Spurs would have made a difference.....the other guys may not have meshed.

So, stop trying to talk shit about the Spurs and pump up anyone on the Mavericks.......we have 4 titles.....the Mavericks???.......LMAO!!!!
spoken like a true Spur fan. where's the Hasselhoff diss? you guys are slipping...

Extra Stout
08-03-2007, 12:14 PM
Your argument is full of holes.....first of all Dirk is NOT a HOF lock.....he hasnt really done shit yet.
Umm... hate to burst your homer bubble, but winning the NBA MVP award is an automatic ticket to the Hall of Fame.

Findog
08-03-2007, 12:17 PM
Your argument is full of holes.....first of all Dirk is NOT a HOF lock.....he hasnt really done shit yet. !!!!

That's right, you gotta win a ring to make it to the HOF. Which is why Pete Maravich will never sniff the HOF. Oh wait....

Dirk's a HOF. Period.

Leetonidas
08-03-2007, 12:27 PM

Trying to not be a homer, I personally do think the Spurs trio deserves to be up there. 3 championships in 5 years, greatest PF of all-time, and 2 All-Stars. Perhaps Tony and Manu are not HOF contestants yet, but I'm sure in time they will be viewed as it...if not Tony, then Manu for sure because the dude has won on every single level of competition.

DOMINATOR
08-03-2007, 12:27 PM
how so? Both teams got as far as game 6 of the WCF, and if not for a miracle barrage of 3's from Kerr and Jackson, Dallas would have forced a game 7.
how about that karl malone bear hug??? talk about no calls
5:24 - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jcVzcPOP0Sw

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-03-2007, 12:29 PM
The only way Dirk doesn't make the HOF is if he gets hit by a race car and he can no longer walk for the rest of his life. But then if that happens, he'll just tear it up in the Wheelchair Basketball League and get into the HOF there. Either way, Dirk is gonna be a HOFamer somewhere.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-03-2007, 12:39 PM
And then the only way he doesn't make the HOF in the Wheelchair Basketball League is if he was in a driveby and he gets both of his arms paralyzed from gunshots. Then if that happens, he can just roll into some toxic waste and he can learn how to levitate and move the basketball with his mind. Then he will be in the HOF in the Basketball League for the Abnormal.

atxrocker
08-03-2007, 01:17 PM
skirt and hall of fame should never be mentioned in the same sentence again.

Findog
08-03-2007, 01:46 PM
skirt and hall of fame should never be mentioned in the same sentence again.

atxrocker and intelligent should never be mentioned in the same sentence again.

atxrocker
08-03-2007, 02:52 PM
if you're gonna hang on my nuts and post in everythread that i do, at least come with some better burns than that weak shit. otherwise, don't waste my time.

Findog
08-03-2007, 02:58 PM
if you're gonna hang on my nuts and post in everythread that i do, at least come with some better burns than that weak shit. otherwise, don't waste my time.

Nobody's hanging on your nuts, so don't flatter yourself. When you post something so dumb, or if you're just trolling, then it's sufficient to just let your criticism of Dirk speak for itself.

Dalhoop
08-03-2007, 05:01 PM
Your argument is full of holes.....first of all Dirk is NOT a HOF lock.....he hasnt really done shit yet.

Dirk is a forgain born player that never attended a NCAA school and has risin to the ranks of NBA MVP. Try to be a little less homistic.

Secondly, a team is about chemistry and who knows if other players besides Parker and Manu on the Spurs would have made a difference.....the other guys may not have meshed.

Or they may have. Parker is top five at his position in the NBA today (Billups, Nash, Kidd, AI and Parker ... Where he ranks is up for debate), Manu is somewhere in the lower top ten at his position (Kobe, T-mac, Carter, Wade and Hamilton are the top five)

Duncan is the BEST PF in the game today. Maybe Parker and Manu are playing at the wrong time for their games (A lot of HOF caliber players at those positions are playing right now) and there shadows are too big, but as someone has pointed out, their careers are not over and it is likely that they will continue to show their stuff.

I think that Manu has a better chance at the Hall then Parker (International players are the wave of the future and he and Dirk are leading the way), but as of right now, if their careers ended, I think that only Duncan would get in ... Just my opinion.

Maybe you don't know what the topic is about and its just as likely that you didn't read my post at all.

How did I talk shit about the Spurs? And better yet, How did I pump up the Mavs .... I think in my opening post I stated that the Mavs shouldn't even be on the lists that were provided.

Try to read the posts before posting your crap about them

lebomb
08-04-2007, 08:45 AM
Dirk is a forgain born player that never attended a NCAA school and has risin to the ranks of NBA MVP. Try to be a little less homistic.

Or they may have. Parker is top five at his position in the NBA today (Billups, Nash, Kidd, AI and Parker ... Where he ranks is up for debate), Manu is somewhere in the lower top ten at his position (Kobe, T-mac, Carter, Wade and Hamilton are the top five)

Duncan is the BEST PF in the game today. Maybe Parker and Manu are playing at the wrong time for their games (A lot of HOF caliber players at those positions are playing right now) and there shadows are too big, but as someone has pointed out, their careers are not over and it is likely that they will continue to show their stuff.

I think that Manu has a better chance at the Hall then Parker (International players are the wave of the future and he and Dirk are leading the way), but as of right now, if their careers ended, I think that only Duncan would get in ... Just my opinion.

Maybe you don't know what the topic is about and its just as likely that you didn't read my post at all.

How did I talk shit about the Spurs? And better yet, How did I pump up the Mavs .... I think in my opening post I stated that the Mavs shouldn't even be on the lists that were provided.

Try to read the posts before posting your crap about them

..........you belittle the Spurs accomplishments and make Dirk seem like a god.....dude is a loser so far.

ArgSpursFan
08-06-2007, 09:58 AM
The Jordan,Pippen Kukoc or Jordan,Pippen Rodman trios kicked ass too.
as far as the spurs big three,we donīt know yet.The have won 3 titles together so far,and theyīre are capable to win a couple more before one or two of them retires.
I would say
1:Bird,Mchale,Parish
2:Magic,kareem,Worthy
3:tied right now.Spurs big three and Bulls big three(MJ,Pip and Rodman)

Soul_Patch
08-06-2007, 10:32 AM
As much of a homer as i am, i really hate how some spurs fans have such a large chip on their shoulder. You happen to mention the spurs in a sentence that may question where they stand in greatness or just offer an opposing view, and all of the sudden you are "belittling the spurs!" and "not giving them their credit!!" etc...

My wife acts like this sometimes...during the playoffs "i hate nash, he isnt even that good at basketball!!" wtf...he is one of the best, if not the best at his position...dont just say shit because he is beating or threatening your team...lets be real here...I may hate him at the time, because he is so hard to deal with, and on occasion has really stuck a knife in what would have otherwise been a smooth win for the spurs...but to say he sucks...is so far from the truth its crazy...

I agree, i dont think Tim, tony and manu belong in this conversation. I believe Tim is the best power forward to play basketball in the NBA. I believe the TEAM as a whole contributes much more than any "big three" it is a team concept of defense and offense that makes this team go. Manu and Tony are just very very strong roleplayers who are capable of having breakout games when necessary. On another team they may be considered the starring attraction, but here the team is the starring attraction with tim duncan providing the pivot point for the rest of the squad.

Get the chip off your shoulder lebomb...we know we are good, most other people know this too, because they aren't looking at it through silver and black shades, doesn't make it any less valid.

spursfan09
08-06-2007, 11:28 AM
Who cares where they rank? They bring us the championships thats all that matters. And I bet they got at least 1 left in their tank. Maybe 2. We'll see.

stretch
08-06-2007, 11:28 AM
The Jordan,Pippen Kukoc or Jordan,Pippen Rodman trios kicked ass too.
as far as the spurs big three,we donīt know yet.The have won 3 titles together so far,and theyīre are capable to win a couple more before one or two of them retires.
I would say
1:Bird,Mchale,Parish
2:Magic,kareem,Worthy
3:tied right now.Spurs big three and Bulls big three(MJ,Pip and Rodman)
No way in hell are the Spurs big three even comparable the Bulls big three. Duncan is a great big man, while Ginobili and Parker are good players too. But MJ is the greatest player of all time, all three of those guys can lock players up defensively, while NONE of the Spurs big three can just lock someone down (Duncan has great defense, but he can't lock people up the way Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman could). Rodman would fluster the hell out of Duncan, Pip and Jordan would have Ginobili and Parker locked down as well. Plus, the Bulls 3 were able to three-peat. Spurs have never even repeated.

No comparison whatsoever.

spursfan09
08-06-2007, 11:32 AM
No way in hell are the Spurs big three even comparable the Bulls big three. Duncan is a great big man, while Ginobili and Parker are good players too. But MJ is the greatest player of all time, all three of those guys can lock players up defensively, while NONE of the Spurs big three can just lock someone down (Duncan has great defense, but he can't lock people up the way Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman could). Rodman would fluster the hell out of Duncan, Pip and Jordan would have Ginobili and Parker locked down as well. Plus, the Bulls 3 were able to three-peat. Spurs have never even repeated.

:rolleyes

I think its pointless to compare players of one era to another era. Nobody knows how it would of turned out. All you have is your OPINION of what might of happened. All that matters is that this current big 3 and the Spurs are dominating this era. When it comes to this era, no big 3 can hold a candle to Tim and tony and Manu, because they have been winning numerous championships together. Not Dallas, not Phoenix, no one.

Soul_Patch
08-06-2007, 11:58 AM

I think its pointless to compare players of one era to another era. Nobody knows how it would of turned out. All you have is your OPINION of what might of happened. All that matters is that this current big 3 and the Spurs are dominating this era. When it comes to this era, no big 3 can hold a candle to Tim and tony and Manu, because they have been winning numerous championships together. Not Dallas, not Phoenix, no one.

Its not the "big three" that are winning anything, it is a team oriented squad that is winning championships. Everyone on this team plays a very vital role and each person is capable of filling their niche when called upon. No other team in the NBA has this right now. Every other team has a "big three" or "big two" or "Big one" but no one can match the spurs team ball. That is why we win championships. Without finley and barry and horry....tony doesnt get open lanes to drive into, without tony driving into those open lanes, finley barry and horry don't get open looks at three pointers. Without tim drawing doubleteams, manu doesn't get open runs at the hoop, without manu being a threat, tim has 2 people on him constantly limiting his effectiveness...its all around team ball.

stretch
08-06-2007, 02:18 PM

So you honestly think a trio of Manu, Parker, and Duncan is equal to, or better than a trio of Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman? (whom has accomplished more and all won more titles than any of the Spurs big 3)

You are insane.

stretch
08-06-2007, 02:19 PM
As much of a homer as i am, i really hate how some spurs fans have such a large chip on their shoulder. You happen to mention the spurs in a sentence that may question where they stand in greatness or just offer an opposing view, and all of the sudden you are "belittling the spurs!" and "not giving them their credit!!" etc...

My wife acts like this sometimes...during the playoffs "i hate nash, he isnt even that good at basketball!!" wtf...he is one of the best, if not the best at his position...dont just say shit because he is beating or threatening your team...lets be real here...I may hate him at the time, because he is so hard to deal with, and on occasion has really stuck a knife in what would have otherwise been a smooth win for the spurs...but to say he sucks...is so far from the truth its crazy...

I agree, i dont think Tim, tony and manu belong in this conversation. I believe Tim is the best power forward to play basketball in the NBA. I believe the TEAM as a whole contributes much more than any "big three" it is a team concept of defense and offense that makes this team go. Manu and Tony are just very very strong roleplayers who are capable of having breakout games when necessary. On another team they may be considered the starring attraction, but here the team is the starring attraction with tim duncan providing the pivot point for the rest of the squad.

Get the chip off your shoulder lebomb...we know we are good, most other people know this too, because they aren't looking at it through silver and black shades, doesn't make it any less valid.

Great post.

tlongII
08-06-2007, 02:23 PM
Oden-Aldridge-Roy = Best Big 3 of ALL TIME!

spursfan09
08-06-2007, 02:47 PM
So you honestly think a trio of Manu, Parker, and Duncan is equal to, or better than a trio of Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman? (whom has accomplished more and all won more titles than any of the Spurs big 3)

You are insane.

Did I say that? No you need to learn to read I guess. I said its pointless to compare players of different era, and all that matters it that the Spurs big 3 of Manu and Tony and Tim dominating this era.

ArgSpursFan
08-06-2007, 03:26 PM

As today maybe the spurs big 3 hasnīt repeated yet.Thatīs why I said we or I donīt know yet,coze the spurs big three will be able to win a couple more title hopefully before one or two of them retires.
So as today,yes,the Bulls big 3 >spurs big 3.....
But just as today only,weīll see what happens in the future

stretch
08-06-2007, 06:41 PM
Did I say that? No you need to learn to read I guess. I said its pointless to compare players of different era, and all that matters it that the Spurs big 3 of Manu and Tony and Tim dominating this era.
Okay, but you also said that no one knows what would have happened. Well be honest. If you look at the matchups, do you seriously think that the Spurs big 3 is that close of a comparison to the Bulls big three?

Cry Havoc
08-06-2007, 07:30 PM
Okay, but you also said that no one knows what would have happened. Well be honest. If you look at the matchups, do you seriously think that the Spurs big 3 is that close of a comparison to the Bulls big three?

No. They aren't. The Spurs have superior role players to the Bulls, which is why they are about to make a run at their 5th Title.

Jordan Pippen and Rodman/Grant was possibly the best 1-2-3 combo of all time, simply because the 1-2 part of it featured the GoaT (perhaps in any sport in history) and another Top 50 player who was absolutely fantastic in all areas of the game. With Rodman, they had 3 of the 5 best defenders in the NBA on their team. It's hard to argue with that.

However, the Spurs current team would present matchup fits for ANY team in NBA history. Parker is simply unguardable, few PGs, if any, would have the lateral footspeed to stay with him from a pick. He's among the very fastest players the NBA has ever seen. Manu has some of the best hustle plays and intangibles of any player in the league (and is very underrated on D), and Duncan is just too fundamental to be shut down these days. He'd frustrate the hell out of Rodman and get him in foul trouble by the end of the 1st quarter. The Bulls would likely resort to doubling -- and the high IQ of their basketball players would strain Duncan like he's never been pushed before to make perfect passes. Not to say he couldn't do it, but Jordan had such good senses that he'd definitely pick off some passes.

Again, I think the Bulls are better. But I think the Spurs are severely underrated because a lot of fans are just hesitant to give them any credit due to the lack of a show-stopping superstar. Defense is so quickly and quietly forgotten when thinking about what makes a team great.

dallaskd
08-06-2007, 09:59 PM
Dirk, Howard, Terry> Dirk, Nash, Finley

stretch
08-07-2007, 06:35 AM
No. They aren't. The Spurs have superior role players to the Bulls, which is why they are about to make a run at their 5th Title.

Jordan Pippen and Rodman/Grant was possibly the best 1-2-3 combo of all time, simply because the 1-2 part of it featured the GoaT (perhaps in any sport in history) and another Top 50 player who was absolutely fantastic in all areas of the game. With Rodman, they had 3 of the 5 best defenders in the NBA on their team. It's hard to argue with that.

However, the Spurs current team would present matchup fits for ANY team in NBA history. Parker is simply unguardable, few PGs, if any, would have the lateral footspeed to stay with him from a pick. He's among the very fastest players the NBA has ever seen. Manu has some of the best hustle plays and intangibles of any player in the league (and is very underrated on D), and Duncan is just too fundamental to be shut down these days. He'd frustrate the hell out of Rodman and get him in foul trouble by the end of the 1st quarter. The Bulls would likely resort to doubling -- and the high IQ of their basketball players would strain Duncan like he's never been pushed before to make perfect passes. Not to say he couldn't do it, but Jordan had such good senses that he'd definitely pick off some passes.

Again, I think the Bulls are better. But I think the Spurs are severely underrated because a lot of fans are just hesitant to give them any credit due to the lack of a show-stopping superstar. Defense is so quickly and quietly forgotten when thinking about what makes a team great.
Ok, that is fine and all that you put so much thought into a post that is probably true. But did you look at the subject of this thread? We are talking about the BIG THREE. Not the entire team. In terms of the best three man combinations, I said that it is crazy to compare the Spurs big 3 to the Bulls big 3. No where did i compare the teams.

spursfan09
08-07-2007, 09:33 AM

What he said....

spursfan09
08-07-2007, 09:35 AM
Ok, that is fine and all that you put so much thought into a post that is probably true. But did you look at the subject of this thread? We are talking about the BIG THREE. Not the entire team. In terms of the best three man combinations, I said that it is crazy to compare the Spurs big 3 to the Bulls big 3. No where did i compare the teams.

I would pick the Bulls big 3 over the Spurs, but come on the Tim Duncan and Manu and Tony are no pushovers. You make it seem like they couldn't even compete.

jacobdrj
08-07-2007, 09:36 AM
Considering the lower tier big three mentioned, you almost have to include:
Malone Stockton Hornacek

2 finals, 1 good coach away from a title.

Reggie Miller
08-07-2007, 10:12 AM
Quick Observation:

The Basketball Hall of Fame is for all of basketball, not just the NBA. Considering his role on the Argentine 2004 Olympic team and championships in multiple professional leagues, I would argue that Ginobili is already a lock for the HoF. Isn't Drazen Petrovic in the HoF?

NBA Junkie
08-07-2007, 10:34 AM
Not that they necessarily would have won, but the Rockets would probably have done better than the Jazz. Utah took the Bulls to six games without previous Finals appearances. The Rockets' Big Three had significant Finals experience (Olajuwon 3, Drexler 3, Barkley 1) and would have presented Chicago with more matchup issues.

Plus, the Finals experience is another argument in favor of Houston's big Three over the Dallas three (only two Finals combined).

That's debatable. Utah only lost 3 of those games by a combined total of 8 points. They may not have had finals experience, but they were playoff tested over the years even if previous results weren't in their favor.

Utah could've easily won those three games had they executed down the stretch. We'll never know how Houston would've done in similiar circumstances. Remember, it was their failure to execute down the stretch that cost them in their game 6 loss to Utah in the '97 WCF.

stretch
08-07-2007, 11:05 AM
I would pick the Bulls big 3 over the Spurs, but come on the Tim Duncan and Manu and Tony are no pushovers. You make it seem like they couldn't even compete.
In a three on three game against the Bulls big three? No, they would not compete. The only advantage the Spurs have is that Duncan is big, but Rodman can defend big guys as well as anyone. There is no way Manu or Tony would have a chance offensively or defensively against Jordan and Pippen.

spursfan09
08-07-2007, 01:26 PM
Do you think anybody could of competed with the Bullls big 3 then?

stretch
08-07-2007, 04:46 PM
Bird, McHale, and Parish could give them a hard time because of the matchups, but I think Jordan, Pippen, and Rodman would still take them, mainly because of the fact that none of the celtics have a remote shot at slowing Jordan, while Pippen and Rodman are physical and long enough to annoy McHale and Parish.