PDA

View Full Version : Spurs could suffer as they see Scola shine with the Rockets

phxspurfan
08-02-2007, 02:38 AM
http://www.7days.ae/showstory.php?id=55642

Spurs could suffer as they see Scola shine with the Rockets

Last Updated : Monday 30 Jul, 2007 -

There’s a very good chance the San Antonio Spurs will live to regret their decision to trade the rights to Argentina sensation Luis Scola to their Texas rivals, Houston. The Spurs drafted in 27-year-old Scola in the second round five years ago but failed to pry him away from Spanish giants Tau Ceramica because of the transfer fee.

The Spurs believed they simply could not afford him. But letting Scola go could come back to haunt them. San Antonio have allowed a 6ft 9in superstar, arguably the finest and classiest player in Europe for the past several years, slip through their fingers. He’s a great passer, and is forever attacking the basket.

And what’s more he’s humble. Scola has not arrived in Houston beating his chest and proclaiming himself to be the best player in the world. He’ll be more than happy to feed off the scraps that will come his way on misses from Houston’s NBA all stars, Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming.

“I’m sure they’re going to help me much more than I’m going to help them,” Scola said. “They’re superstars. They’re going to make basketball easier. I have to take this chance and use it.” Rockets fans will get a sneak preview of Scola this summer, when unlike most of the Argentinians in the NBA, he’ll play in Las Vegas for his country at the FIBA Americas Championship.
Houston can’t wait for him to put on their Rockets uniform. “He has size and experience and he's been a winner at every level,” Rockets general manager Daryl Morey said. “He’s someone that we think can come in and contribute right away to the team. “He’s going to be a great attribute to Yao,” said new coach Rick Adelman. “The more passers and more scorers that you have on the floor, the harder you are to defend. I just think it’s going to be easy for him. I showed him a tape earlier of what we like to do and he fits right in there.”

Scola is philosophical about finally making a move to the NBA. “I would have loved to have played for the Spurs and to have been a part of all their championships and all their success all these years, but things didn’t work out and I’m here, now,” Scola said. “But I still have a chance to play for a winning team.”

He’s a no nonsense player. “What I want to do is fight in every game, every practice,” Scola said, “to try and help these players who have been here much longer, to bring more success.” Scola was asked what his good friend and compatriot, Manu Ginobili of San Antonio, had told him.

“He knows it’s not going to be easy, it’s a new country, a new language, a new coach, everything - the referees, the rules, everything is different,” Scola said. “It’s not going to be easy, but you have to deal with it sooner or later, and better sooner than later.” There’s a good chance Spurs fans, and management, will cringe when they see Scola begin to “deal with it” later this year.

phxspurfan
08-02-2007, 02:41 AM
I'm not sure if this article has already been posted. Sorry, if I'm repeating a previous one.

T Park
08-02-2007, 02:42 AM
tell us something we didn't know already...

Clutch20
08-02-2007, 07:03 AM
That's a good hype for HRockets crew. I'm sure that they love the PR, any PR, to distance themselves from a coach's firing, a semis loss and a long hot rainy summer.

Scola is the outsider at this point and seeks to find his place on that Houston team and his place in the culture of the city.

Read Manu Ginobili's diary, fall of 2002, to gain some insight into the efforts it takes as an outsider to feel comfortable and productive. Scola to his credit at this point doesn't have issues with injuries like Manu did back in 02, so he is ahead of the game when you compare how the 2 Argentinians take to the NBA experience.

IceColdBrewski
08-02-2007, 07:27 AM
Good God, are we still talking about this guy?

It had already gotten to the point that I was sick of even seeing his name. Scola this, Scola that, Scola, Scola, Scola, Scola.

I'm just happy they finally did something with him.

circ
08-02-2007, 07:49 AM
anyone else groan when you see the name scola?

SAGambler
08-02-2007, 07:50 AM
Good God, are we still talking about this guy?

It had already gotten to the point that I was sick of even seeing his name. Scola this, Scola that, Scola, Scola, Scola, Scola.

I'm just happy they finally did something with him.

A fuckin men......

ShoogarBear
08-02-2007, 07:54 AM
Luis Scola!

WalterBenitez
08-02-2007, 08:05 AM
Holy shit ... I hope Luis get success, but man ... what if Luis goes close to be Rocket's Manu :bang :( :cry

Clutch20
08-02-2007, 08:13 AM
Holy shit ... I hope Luis get success, but man ... what if Luis goes close to be Rocket's Manu :bang :( :cry
It will be interesting to compare the play of the two I10 combatants as the months progress. Manu got good press from the Chronicle for many years, they admire him for his success.

IMO over there in H Town Scola will "hear" the name "Manu" over and over again, just like over here when we hear ScloaScloaScloaScloaScloa about every .5 posts made.
And Scola will get sick of that too :lol

BeerIsGood!
08-02-2007, 08:19 AM
There's a very good chance the San Antonio Spurs will never regret their decision to trade the rights to Argentina sensation Luis Scola to their Texas rivals, Houston.

Clutch20
08-02-2007, 08:20 AM
Me again, just also thought about what motivation Scola will be for new '07 Champ Fabricio Oberto. I mean, with the Finals being Fabb's coming out party just after his drama-filled trip to blue code land a few months before, Oberto is not going to just hand over that portion of the spotlight he appeared in with Manu to a newbie Argie with a similiar game philosophy of playing aggressively, countrymen be damned.

BronxCowboy
08-02-2007, 08:21 AM
Despite all the hype about the Rockets getting the PF they needed (and the Spurs ostensibly helping a division rival improve), does anyone really believe that Scola is going to be that much (or any) better than Juwan Howard?

degenerate_gambler
08-02-2007, 08:39 AM
I'm surprised noone has dropped into this thread yet to toss out the obligatory "...worst trade in Spurs history" line.

GoSpurs21
08-02-2007, 08:41 AM
nobody seems to remember that the main reason this guy didnt come to the Spurs is his agent and Scola himself didnt want to buyout the Spanish contract to play behind Duncan. He wanted a starting spot.

so what made him change his mind and agree to play for Houston for what amounts to $500k this season???

Luis Scola!
08-02-2007, 08:45 AM
Luis Scola!

wildbill2u
08-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Scola goes into a very good situation in Houston because they were weak at PF. He may be a good fit for Houston and may start there.

He wasn't a good fit here because no 21 is going to get all the minutes he wants.

barbacoataco
08-02-2007, 12:32 PM
Y'all will hate me for this post, because this is such a tired topic. Anyway, Scola could have fit in our rotation. Replace Bonner with Scola, and give him some of Horry's minutes. Scola is the low post threat when Duncan rests, and sometimes Duncan/Scola on the court at the same time.
Oh Well, that is fantasy land. At least we do have Bonner!!!! Maybe he will have a break-out season.

Bottom line- Spurs didn't want Scola, and I'm sure they had good reasons. I think he will do well with the Rockets.

ALVAREZ6
08-02-2007, 12:44 PM
He's gonna pull a Lebron and put his nuts in Duncan's moufff

SenorSpur
08-02-2007, 12:46 PM
I'm on record as saying that I don't see this guy becoming the big NBA superstar that everyone seems to think. Wake me up when he becomes an consistent contributor for the Rockets.

Phenomanul
08-02-2007, 12:52 PM
Bottom line is that Scola signed a really bad contract all by himself.....

It was the financial drawbacks from that contract that kept him out of the NBA for so many years....

The pity in all of this is that we literally traded him away for nothing.

inconvertible
08-02-2007, 05:59 PM
scola=no jump shot, bad FT%.

the only other guy that attacks the basket as much as him is amare.

whottt
08-02-2007, 06:07 PM
I'm surprised noone has dropped into this thread yet to toss out the obligatory "...worst trade in Spurs history" line.

TimVP had to run some errands and will return in a few hours, and Marcus Bryant had an appointment with his psychiatrist.......

Be patient.

SequSpur
08-02-2007, 06:33 PM
Scola > Bonner, Elson, Coyote and Dancing Usher.

Roxsfan
08-03-2007, 12:26 AM
That's a good hype for HRockets crew. I'm sure that they love the PR, any PR, to distance themselves from a coach's firing, a semis loss and a long hot rainy summer.

Scola is the outsider at this point and seeks to find his place on that Houston team and his place in the culture of the city.

Read Manu Ginobili's diary, fall of 2002, to gain some insight into the efforts it takes as an outsider to feel comfortable and productive. Scola to his credit at this point doesn't have issues with injuries like Manu did back in 02, so he is ahead of the game when you compare how the 2 Argentinians take to the NBA experience.

you say that like its a bad thing.........jvg gone = Aaron Brooks getting signed and a chance to play, getting bonzi wells back and motivated due to RA, getting Mike James back for juwan howard, getting Steve Francis back, getting Scola.......even if the new gm would have still made these moves jvg would have been unable to manage this talent......minus wells because he would not have returned.

rain.....wow, like it has not rained for weeks on end in San Antonio presuming you live there. :rolleyes

Semis loss? you mean first round, you gotta go thru the tough times before you can win :dizzy

scola is the man.......yes b4 a single game played......he is the man......book it.

Roxsfan
08-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Despite all the hype about the Rockets getting the PF they needed (and the Spurs ostensibly helping a division rival improve), does anyone really believe that Scola is going to be that much (or any) better than Juwan Howard?

that has got to be the dumbest thing ever said while discussing sports.........

Juwan Howard Suxs and is old....and we unloaded his azz for mike james

Scola came here for FREE...some cash and a low(book it) second round pick in 2009 and VspanjokerIwantToGobackhomeidiotperson.......

Mike James will help us more than juwon howard and anything Scola does is icing.......and it is butter-creme icing not that fake HEB whip-cream icing bull shit either.

Clutch20
08-03-2007, 07:48 AM
you say that like its a bad thing.........jvg gone = Aaron Brooks getting signed and a chance to play, getting bonzi wells back and motivated due to RA, getting Mike James back for juwan howard, getting Steve Francis back, getting Scola.......even if the new gm would have still made these moves jvg would have been unable to manage this talent......minus wells because he would not have returned.

rain.....wow, like it has not rained for weeks on end in San Antonio presuming you live there. :rolleyes

Semis loss? you mean first round, you gotta go thru the tough times before you can win :dizzy

scola is the man.......yes b4 a single game played......he is the man......book it.

True, true Roxsfan, Best of Luck this year, work hard and cheer loudly and may the best Argentinians win :clap

Turbo
08-03-2007, 11:58 PM
We'll see him soon enough...

phxspurfan
08-05-2007, 12:16 AM
Luis Scola Scout Video (YouTube): 1/3

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mua33uljNoM

5ToolMan
08-05-2007, 08:02 AM
The trade of Scola was a steal ... by the Spurs.

The Spurs do not feel Scola is commited to rebounding or defense enough to develop those skills to NBA Championship Level. That left him no place on the many time World Champion Spurs.

By sending Scola to the Rockets, the Spurs have essentially locked the Rockets into using vast financial resources while "forcing" them to lower the defense potential of a team that will already be defensive challanged by the MO of an offensive mastermind coach.

Most observers agree; Scola AND the loss of JVG will hurt the Rockets defense. So the question is; will the offense boost of Scola more than make up for the lower emphasis on defense the Rockets have bought into? Or; will Scola work at his defense and rebounding enough to develop NBA game?

Scola's greatest assits are his post game, his offensive hustle and a decent short range spot up shot. Since I don't expect him to push Yao out of the post anytime soon, the real question to his offensive contribution is; How will the faster speed of the NBA effect his mid range shooting?

I expect Scola to get some hustle baskets, but believe his game facing the basket will suffer with quicker, stronger and longer defenders, at least until he adjusts. In my view I beleive Scola will work on his offensive game to the point he will mesh with the Rockets and make them better on that end of the floor.

A bigger question about what Scola will bring to the Rockets is; does he have the skills AND will he work hard enough at those aspects of his game to become a solid NBA rebounder and defender.

It is clear the Spurs are betting no to each of these. Only time will tell.

Supreme_Being
08-05-2007, 08:07 AM
The trade of Scola was a steal ... by the Spurs.

The Spurs do not feel Scola is commited to rebounding or defense enough to develop those skills to NBA Championship Level. That left him no place on the many time World Champion Spurs.

By sending Scola to the Rockets, the Spurs have essentially locked the Rockets into using vast financial resources while "forcing" them to lower the defense potential of a team that will already be defensive challanged by the MO of an offensive mastermind coach.

Most observers agree; Scola AND the loss of JVG will hurt the Rockets defense. So the question is; will the offense boost of Scola more than make up for the lower emphasis on defense the Rockets have bought into? Or; will Scola work at his defense and rebounding enough to develop NBA game?

Scola's greatest assits are his post game, his offensive hustle and a decent short range spot up shot. Since I don't expect him to push Yao out of the post anytime soon, the real question to his offensive contribution is; How will the faster speed of the NBA effect his mid range shooting?

I expect Scola to get some hustle baskets, but believe his game facing the basket will suffer with quicker, stronger and longer defenders, at least until he adjusts. In my view I beleive Scola will work on his offensive game to the point he will mesh with the Rockets and make them better on that end of the floor.

A bigger question about what Scola will bring to the Rockets is; does he have the skills AND will he work hard enough at those aspects of his game to become a solid NBA rebounder and defender.

It is clear the Spurs are betting no to each of these. Only time will tell.

Well said.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-06-2007, 10:30 AM
I'd picked Houston to be more of a contender the last three years. Each year they've fallen short of my predictions. However, I think the coaching change will be good for Houston, and RA knows how to coach egos so he might just get more out of TMac than teams have been able to in the past.

Scola shouldn't have gone to a division rival...especially one that's talented but has been underachieving the last couple of years. Sometimes all it takes it one missing piece to turn a team like that into a monster. I'm hoping Scola's not that piece.

tlongII
08-06-2007, 02:14 PM
Rick Adelman is a great coach. I believe the Rockets have moved ahead of the Spurs and Mavs now and they should win your division.

Santa Claus
08-06-2007, 02:21 PM
Rick Adelman is a great coach. I believe the Rockets have moved ahead of the Spurs and Mavs now and they should win your division.

Ho! Ho! Ho!

That made me laugh.

spursfan09
08-06-2007, 02:28 PM

Because of Luis Scola? :lol

spursfan09
08-06-2007, 02:30 PM
If anything this is what will happen. The Rockets will be last years Mavs get all the attention in the world, while the Spurs are once again are under radar. Then comes the March and Apr, the Spurs will come together like they always do, and then come June they are winning the championship yet again, and all the other teams in the league are back to square 1 asking themselves how can we beat the spurs?

ArgSpursFan
08-06-2007, 03:36 PM
I'm on record as saying that I don't see this guy becoming the big NBA superstar that everyone seems to think. Wake me up when he becomes an consistent contributor for the Rockets.

Wake up Senor!!!!!!(just kidding) :lol

waly.mg
08-06-2007, 05:33 PM
Because of Luis Scola? :lol

yes

Spurs Dynasty 21
08-06-2007, 05:55 PM
nobody seems to remember that the main reason this guy didnt come to the Spurs is his agent and Scola himself didnt want to buyout the Spanish contract to play behind Duncan. He wanted a starting spot.

so what made him change his mind and agree to play for Houston for what amounts to $500k this season???

HAHAHAHALMAO

you a link to your bogus statement?

Roxsfan
08-07-2007, 01:17 AM
If anything this is what will happen. The Rockets will be last years Mavs get all the attention in the world, while the Spurs are once again are under radar. Then comes the March and Apr, the Spurs will come together like they always do, and then come June they are winning the championship yet again, and all the other teams in the league are back to square 1 asking themselves how can we beat the spurs?

this is an even yr in the playoffs, that means spurs will suck......history says so.

CubanMustGo
08-07-2007, 04:00 AM
this is an even yr in the playoffs, that means spurs will suck......history says so.
And history will say that since Houston doesn't have Hakeem Olajuwon any more, they will suck worse.

Udrihlooms
08-07-2007, 04:12 AM

Yao will be booted out of the playoffs in the first round.
TMac will be booted out of the playoffs in the first round.
Rockets will be booted out of the playoffs in the first round in even years.
Rockets will be booted out of the playoffs in the first round in odd years.

...history says so. :clap

spursfan09
08-07-2007, 07:26 AM

History also says that the Rockets haven't won a championship in a decade. If you think thats changing cause of Scola :lol

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-07-2007, 11:34 AM

This is one of most ignorant comments I've ever seen posted.......oh I'm sorry tlongII, you probably forgot to turn on your sarcasm meter and the smiley with the rolling eyes. My bad. Got your back, I never believed you were this stupid. :lol

You were kidding, weren't you?

Oh, Gee!!
08-07-2007, 03:58 PM
worst.trade.ever.

Roxsfan
08-07-2007, 10:50 PM
And history will say that since Houston doesn't have Hakeem Olajuwon any more, they will suck worse.

at least the dream defended our title.......Duncan :dizzy

Marcus Bryant
08-07-2007, 10:52 PM
4 > 2.

picnroll
08-07-2007, 11:03 PM
Jordan is still retired so the Rockets have that going for them.

Roxsfan
08-07-2007, 11:03 PM
4 > 2.

not always.....4 pennies < 2 Susan Bs

http://www.loringdesign.com/images/penny-1216x912.jpg

http://images1.comstock.com/Imagewarehouse/RF/SITECS/NLWMCompingVersions/0002000/2500-2999/KS2557.JPG
http://images1.comstock.com/Imagewarehouse/RF/SITECS/NLWMCompingVersions/0002000/2500-2999/KS2557.JPG

seriously though, 4 is greater than 2, but Houston is the only TX team to repeat, and yes I know Jordan retired...blah, blah.... :blah

Marcus Bryant
08-07-2007, 11:06 PM
Did I click on the numismatic forum by mistake?

My, what getting a taste of the Spurs' table scraps does for a Houston fan.

Roxsfan
08-07-2007, 11:16 PM
Jordan is still retired so the Rockets have that going for them.

You are ignorant, you think that bothers me :rolleyes . The Rox passed on Jordan in 1984 and selected the Dream. Ten years later in 1994, the Dream wins a title the year Jordan took off. The next year, with Jordan back in 1995..the dream defends his title. I love how those players are united like that thru the rox, just love it. So, while all the other teams were taking vacations because Jordan retired in 94 (and we all know earning a ring would not count :dramaquee ), the rockets stepped up and took the honorary trophies 2 years in a row :rolleyes .

Its a double-meat burger......the roxs are the meat and bulls=buns

1997-98 Chicago Bulls
1996-97 Chicago Bulls
1995-96 Chicago Bulls
1994-95 Houston Rockets
1993-94 Houston Rockets
1992-93 Chicago Bulls
1991-92 Chicago Bulls
1990-91 Chicago Bulls

Switchman
08-07-2007, 11:22 PM
The only reason Jordan retired is because he knew the Spurs were coming.

Roxsfan
08-07-2007, 11:26 PM
The only reason Jordan retired is because he knew the Spurs were coming.

and kobe and shaq

gilmor
08-07-2007, 11:35 PM

Hey loser, you want to bet again?

Obstructed_View
08-08-2007, 01:11 AM
The Rockettes will be out before the conference semis. History says so.

spursfan09
08-08-2007, 02:24 AM
That repeat talk is BS. Duncan will go down as the greatest NBA player to ever play in Texas.

Roxsfan
08-08-2007, 10:14 PM
The Rockettes will be out before the conference semis. History says so.

The Spurts will not repeat....

Roxsfan
08-08-2007, 10:16 PM
That repeat talk is BS. Duncan will go down as the greatest NBA player to ever play in Texas.

Yeah, and he will always be remembered for that star that couldn't defend his title.......like taking candy from a baby.........
http://www.ashesblog.co.uk/images/baby.jpg

ShoogarBear
08-08-2007, 10:48 PM
Yeah, and he will always be remembered for that star that couldn't defend his title.......like taking candy from a baby.........
http://www.ashesblog.co.uk/images/baby.jpgYeah, that really killed Bird's and Wilt's reputations.

Roxsfan
08-09-2007, 12:31 AM
^^Air-Jordan, Magic-Johnson,The-Dream, Kareem, The Diesel, and Kobe really hurt their legacies by repeating.

Wilt may not have, but his nemesis Bill Russell did over and over and over again and again. One of Wilt's franchises did(Lakers, repeated)

Larry Bird may not have, but his nemesis Magic Johnson did. Larry Bird's Celtics repeated as a franchise with Russell.

Spurs, no repeat.
Celtics,Lakers,Pistons,Bulls,and Rockets..that's it 5 franchises have defended their titles..

Maybe, just maybe the spurs will next season........you never know

whottt
08-09-2007, 12:36 AM
^
Wilt may not have, but his nemesis Bill Russell did over and over and over again and again. One of Wilt's franchises did(Lakers, repeated)

Larry Bird may not have, but his nemesis Magic Johnson did. Larry Bird's Celtics repeated as a franchise with Russell.

Congtrats...I've seen the new face of stupidity on SpursTalk...and it is you.

Edit: The parts I left unbolded? Those are stupid too...please don't let the fact they aren't bolded lead you to conclude that they aren't equally stupid statements.

Tim Duncan may have not repeated...but his nemesis Shaq did...so there...idiot.

spursfan09
08-09-2007, 01:02 AM
http://www.ashesblog.co.uk/images/baby.jpg

Only to sad little fans like you who are jealous of the Spurs' success. Tim Duncan will be remembered as a 4 time NBA champ. And I think he has at least another 1 if not 2 in him.

Roxsfan
08-09-2007, 01:13 AM
Congtrats...I've seen the new face of stupidity on SpursTalk...and it is you.

Edit: The parts I left unbolded? Those are stupid too...please don't let the fact they aren't bolded lead you to conclude that they aren't equally stupid statements.

Tim Duncan may have not repeated...but his nemesis Shaq did...so there...idiot. .
Exactly, shaq is greater imo with 4 championships and twice defended, IDIOT

Hey retard, my point was that according to shoogarbear, Bird and Wilt are great even though they did not repeat......and they were....but Russell and Johnson are MUCH greater imo.
Is that easy enough for you pos. :rolleyes

about Larry bird--I was saying that at least the franchise that he played for, the Celts, repeated with Russell.......dumb ass.

Roxsfan
08-09-2007, 01:16 AM
Only to sad little fans like you who are jealous of the Spurs' success. Tim Duncan will be remembered as a 4 time NBA champ. And I think he has at least another 1 if not 2 in him.

Not jealous, what I am saying is to have truly done all that there is to accomplish in the NBA Tim would have to repeat.

wildbill2u
08-09-2007, 09:14 AM
Not jealous, what I am saying is to have truly done all that there is to accomplish in the NBA Tim would have to repeat.
It was great that the Rockets were able to repeat one year. And other great teams have also repeated their championships--but generally with the same cast of great players.

I'd contend that it is more difficult to maintain a high level of play including four championships over eight years with one Top 50 player and an ever changing roster of players.

This coming season, if no additional changes are made, will be the first time a Spurs championship roster has remained intact.

Obstructed_View
08-09-2007, 09:17 AM
Sorry, but I'd rather have four than two in a row. Nobody's ever going to be able to convince me different. Suggesting that Timmy needs to lead the league in assists would make more sense.

loveforthegame
08-09-2007, 09:33 AM
It's now official since his buyout with Tau is complete.

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/5039176.html

Meanwhile, forward Luis Scola has completed details of his buyout from Tau Ceramica in Spain and is officially a Rocket. A letter from FIBA, the official world governing body, arrived at the NBA offices in New York on Tuesday night, declaring that Scola is no longer under contract in Europe.

"We had a press conference, we took the photos, but I'm a worrier," Morey said. "It's my job to worry about these things until every detail is complete. But now the i's are dotted and the t's are crossed. Luis is ours."

spursfan09
08-09-2007, 12:22 PM

I agree that if Tim Duncan fails to repeat at least once, then this will be a weak argument for anyone who will trying to downplay his success. It shouldn't be like that, but it will.

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-09-2007, 02:49 PM
[/COLOR].

Check your facts.

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-09-2007, 02:55 PM
I agree that if Tim Duncan fails to repeat at least once, then this will be a weak argument for anyone who will trying to downplay his success. It shouldn't be like that, but it will.

Don't worry, whenever someone tries to diminish the greatness that is Tim Duncan, consider the source. Check the fruit out on the tree.

4 NBA championships and counting!!!

ShoogarBear
08-09-2007, 02:57 PM
Tim Duncan may have not repeated...but his nemesis Shaq did...so there...idiot./thread

Martin R
08-09-2007, 03:40 PM
Scola will have his ups and downs games.
He'll have to adjust to the NBA game so don't expect him to be a great contributor REGULARLY.
I have no doubt he will have a positive and sensitive impact on the ROCKETS team. He's an instant contributor sort of player.

M

Roxsfan
08-09-2007, 08:15 PM
It was great that the Rockets were able to repeat one year. And other great teams have also repeated their championships--but generally with the same cast of great players.

I'd contend that it is more difficult to maintain a high level of play including four championships over eight years with one Top 50 player and an ever changing roster of players.

This coming season, if no additional changes are made, will be the first time a Spurs championship roster has remained intact.

Good point. That's TD for you.

SpursDynasty
08-09-2007, 08:17 PM
I'm sure the Spurs are trembling in fear at the thought of playing a team that blew a 2-0 series lead both in 2005 and 2007.

Roxsfan
08-09-2007, 08:19 PM
Check your facts.

please correct me, shaq has 4 rings and twice defended his titles.

Roxsfan
08-09-2007, 08:24 PM
I'm sure the Spurs are trembling in fear at the thought of playing a team that blew a 2-0 series lead both in 2005 and 2007.

the first series, the rockets were not deep, after cleaning house to get Tmac. To force a very good dallas team to 7 games was very good for that first tmac-rocket year. This year, Tmac was out 10 games and Yao out with a broken leg for 34 games and no depth and an offensively inept coach.

The Rockets and Spurs match-up well, so I can't wait for the season to start.

Obstructed_View
08-10-2007, 12:59 AM
the first series, the rockets were not deep, after cleaning house to get Tmac. To force a very good dallas team to 7 games was very good for that first tmac-rocket year. This year, Tmac was out 10 games and Yao out with a broken leg for 34 games and no depth and an offensively inept coach.

The Rockets and Spurs match-up well, so I can't wait for the season to start.
Yeah, it looks like you have your excuses all shined up and ready to go. :rolleyes

Roxsfan
08-10-2007, 08:29 PM
Yeah, it looks like you have your excuses all shined up and ready to go. :rolleyes

They're explanations, not excuses.

Get yours ready for 1-2 yrs from now when your savior Tim Duncan is in a wheel chair. He won't be a badazz forever, so start getting your excuses ready too :rolleyes

Agloco
08-10-2007, 11:02 PM
[/COLOR].

Hey retard, my point was that according to shoogarbear, Bird and Wilt are great even though they did not repeat......and they were....but Russell and Johnson are MUCH greater imo.
Is that easy enough for you pos. :rolleyes

about Larry bird--I was saying that at least the franchise that he played for, the Celts, repeated with Russell.......dumb ass.

What the fuck does this matter anyway?

Bird didn't repeat, plain and simple. Yet he's regarded as one of the best in history.

A repeat doesn't mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things. If youre a winner, youre a winner.

Agloco
08-10-2007, 11:09 PM
They're explanations, not excuses.

Get yours ready for 1-2 yrs from now when your savior Tim Duncan is in a wheel chair. He won't be a badazz forever, so start getting your excuses ready too :rolleyes

Lame.......

McGrady is in his prime and spends half his time in a wheelchair already......

Yao is as soft as a 70 year old penis.......

And Scola has yet to play against real competition. Timmy and his big yellow bus will be taking Mr Scola for a few trips behind the woodshed.

And lastly Adleman, a shitty coach to begin with, has shit to work with in Hoser-town. Bad fit for a bad team overall.

42-42. Book that shit............

Roxsfan
08-11-2007, 12:31 AM
Lame.......

McGrady is in his prime and spends half his time in a wheelchair already......

Yao is as soft as a 70 year old penis.......

And Scola has yet to play against real competition. Timmy and his big yellow bus will be taking Mr Scola for a few trips behind the woodshed.

And lastly Adleman, a shitty coach to begin with, has shit to work with in Hoser-town. Bad fit for a bad team overall.

42-42. Book that shit............
84 game season :wtf , dumb shit. :drunk :dizzy :wtf
We won 52 games last season with tmac in a wheel chair for 10 games and Yao in one for 34 games, no bench scoring, and an offensively inept coach and you think we will win 10 fewer games this season....I laugh at you dumb ass. This year all the basketball-minds have agreed that the rockets have improved significantly in talent/depth--in coaching, depth, especially in key positions--4 and the 1.

bring it, I don't fear a SA matchup.....bring it.
Yao may be as soft as 70yr old wood on a whole bottle of Viagra......If Yao is soft Tim Duncan is a pillow. Please, who on your team can guard him, thats what I thought :rolleyes

Roxsfan
08-11-2007, 12:32 AM
What the fuck does this matter anyway?

Bird didn't repeat, plain and simple. Yet he's regarded as one of the best in history.

A repeat doesn't mean jack shit in the grand scheme of things. If youre a winner, youre a winner.

until it happens right, then it will be repeat like a motherfucker, shirts, hats, TD finally did it, fuck all those who said they couldn't do it.......sure......whatever dude. no one is saying TD is not a winner :rolleyes

SpursDynasty
08-11-2007, 12:45 AM
Rockets are fake team

barbacoataco
08-11-2007, 01:31 AM
The Rockets can compete for a championship IF Scola turns out to be ginobili in a PF body. If Scola is as good or better than promised, and everyone stays healthy (a big if) the Rockets might join the Spurs, Suns, and Mavs as the top of the West. But until that happens, I find it more likely that Yao and T-Mac will continue to be playoff chokers.

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-11-2007, 05:13 AM
please correct me, shaq has 4 rings and twice defended his titles.

My bad. Semantics. I was not considering his 3-peat as defending it twice. But technically he did.

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-11-2007, 06:22 AM
We won 52 games last season with tmac in a wheel chair for 10 games and Yao in one for 34 games, no bench scoring, and an offensively inept coach and you think we will win 10 fewer games this season....I laugh at you dumb ass. This year all the basketball-minds have agreed that the rockets have improved significantly in talent/depth--in coaching, depth, especially in key positions--4 and the 1.

Yao may be as soft as 70yr old wood on a whole bottle of Viagra......If Yao is soft Tim Duncan is a pillow. Please, who on your team can guard him, thats what I thought :rolleyes

I must have missed it. When did the league go from an 82 game season to an 84 game season?

TD avg 24 and 10 on 51% shooting against you guys.

I've never heard anyone who has a basic understanding of the game describe Tim Duncan as soft like a pillow. I'd be interested to know what you see in Duncan that made you say that. Maybe Magic Johnson, Bill Russell, Bill Walton and numerous NBA coaches, GM's and basketball analyst didn't see what you saw. And it's funny because I've never heard any of those guys say Duncan, soft and pillow in the same sentence. But what the hell do they know?

Yao, against SA played only 2 games but the Spurs kept him under his season average. He avg 21 and 6.5 on 42% shooting against the Spurs.

Just curious, if the rockets are going more to a running game, stamina not being one of Yao's strong suits, how do you suppose he is going to avg more then 34 min per game? That is if he doesn't get hurt again.

Yao's a beast, but since he's entered the league, he hasn't won anything, and frankly couldn't carry Duncan's jock. The more prudent question would be who on your team can guard Tim Duncan? Please don't say Scola. Scola in time will be good, probably very good. But he's not ready just yet. And what's the over/under on McGrady missing another 10-20 games this season? When was the last time McGrady played a full 82 games season? How 'bout never.

No doubt that the rockets are a better team then last year, though argueably they may not have improved as much as you're thinking. Good to know that you don't fear an SA-Houston match up. But I bet the people that know a little more about BB, like the rocket players and coaches, well I bet their optimism is a little more tempered then yours.

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-11-2007, 06:44 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/power-rankings.shtml

It's InsideHoops, it's early, not all the free agents have been signed so take that for what it's worth. I think where the rockets are ranked is pretty dead on.

5) Houston Rockets (52-30) - Good but don't seem ready to take the next step and need both Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady to enjoy a totally healthy season, and Shane Battier to keep providing his multitude of talents. With the addition of Steve Francis, Mike James and other guards the Rockets are now overloaded at the point -- with several shooting guards in point guard bodies. Rafer Alston may go. In serious need of a power forward the team added Luis Scola, who will provide banging, though I'm not sure if he's worthy of full-game minutes. Chuck Hayes returns, too. Juwan Howard is gone. On paper this team has improved, but several of the new additions are unproven when it comes to winning chemistry.

Agloco
08-11-2007, 09:55 AM

Had enough fun with my typo? Its about the only thing you've been right about the entire thread.......

It seems Scola and Francis are your answers to the ass whoopins you've taken in the playoffs of late. I'm eager to see how that plays out. I strongly suspect history will repeat itself.

Timmy can't guard Yao? Laff..........

Agloco
08-11-2007, 10:06 AM
until it happens right, then it will be repeat like a motherfucker, shirts, hats, TD finally did it, fuck all those who said they couldn't do it.......sure......whatever dude. no one is saying TD is not a winner :rolleyes

But you're all over this subject like stink on shit..... because??

Meanwhile the Spurs wil continue their dominance of odd-numbered years and leave a trail haters in their wake.

Tell Stevie "Iwanttheballalltomyself" Franchise hello for me........

Roxsfan
08-11-2007, 10:26 PM
^^that's why they play the games, we shall see.

I may not fear a SA matchup, but that does not mean I don't respect the team...a lot for what they are and have accomplished.

TD soft, well many people call him soft......more finesse than dominating power.....I was saying that neither Yao or TD are soft; that was basically my point with the soft pillow stuff.

You guys are great, you truly stick up for your team and in a weird way I still feel welcome here even though I have been ass-hatish on this thread :ihit :madrun :smokin

Cherry
08-11-2007, 11:49 PM
History also says that the Rockets haven't won a championship in a decade. If you think thats changing cause of Scola :lol

I think that everyday :oops

screw_ston713
08-12-2007, 07:28 AM
i find media analyst all about the hype, houston with no bench no consitant 3rd scorer won 52 games in a tough conference not the east. Rockets build off a 52 win season by bringing in 1 of the best coaches with 1 of the best winning percentages in the league .610 added francis james scola bonzi who killed spurs when he played for the kings in the playoff series and ppl say rockets are not contenders yet then we go out to boston they have 3 stars in their 30s and basically no bench havent played 1 game but analyst are saying that their serious contenders now. i dont make what beat writters and media analyst say gospel. those same ppl were saying spurs are old, spurs lost it, they cant keep up with mavs and suns and what do u know this same team go on to win the championship. games are played on the court not paper not these forums and blogs. rockets have to prove themselves 1st that they should be mentioned with the top tier teams in the west. make that top tier team because neither mavs or phx won the ship and mavs find a way to choke every year rather its in the finals or in the 1st round to an 8th seed team.

Stone Cold Hakeem
08-12-2007, 09:18 AM
http://www.insidehoops.com/power-rankings.shtml

It's InsideHoops, it's early, not all the free agents have been signed so take that for what it's worth. I think where the rockets are ranked is pretty dead on.

5) Houston Rockets (52-30) - Good but don't seem ready to take the next step and need both Yao Ming and Tracy McGrady to enjoy a totally healthy season, and Shane Battier to keep providing his multitude of talents. With the addition of Steve Francis, Mike James and other guards the Rockets are now overloaded at the point -- with several shooting guards in point guard bodies. Rafer Alston may go. In serious need of a power forward the team added Luis Scola, who will provide banging, though I'm not sure if he's worthy of full-game minutes. Chuck Hayes returns, too. Juwan Howard is gone. On paper this team has improved, but several of the new additions are unproven when it comes to winning chemistry.

Ranking is spot on but I hate the analysis. We proved last season we can survive w/o T-Mac or Yao for significant stretches -- not a desirable situation but a manageable one.

Also, Alston is liability -- a lot of people are lamenting the James/Francis acquisitions but in reality they give us scoring threats both on perimeter and penetrating at a position which we sorely need it. Alston couldn't hit the broad side of a barn last season, much less finish which is why teams we could freely double off of him (not to mention Chuck Hayes). People are severely underestimating how big of an upgrade this is.

phxspurfan
08-12-2007, 03:38 PM
I'm glad to see the thread I started not go completely down the crapper.

objective
08-13-2007, 03:55 PM
from an interview posted on clutchfans, spurs related bits . . .

http://nba.sports.tom.com/2007-08-13/0424/84174902.html

TITAN: Then who is your most favorite active NBA player?

Scola: Amongst all active NBA players, I like Tim Duncan most. He is really perfect. Actually there are a lot of NBA players I like, but if you ask me who is the one I most like, then it has to be Tim Duncan.

TITAN: So you were picked in the draft 5 years ago by the San Antonio Spurs, but you never played a game for them. And right after you, Fabricio Oberto was drafted by the Spurs (in 2005), and he immediately had his own position in the team………

Scola: No! No! No! I have been longing intensively to be playing in the NBA. And it certainly sucks to see time just flew by so rapidly. But I certainly am not jealous or grudged the successes of others. I felt so happy for Fabricio Oberto; he certainly helped his team to win the championship. I am also very happy myself that I finally managed to make it to NBA.

phxspurfan
08-13-2007, 11:55 PM
LOL at everyone afraid he couldn't play with TD.