PDA

View Full Version : Dikembe Mutombo to boston ?

ducks
08-02-2007, 09:38 AM
Celtics buy new House
By Mark Murphy
Boston Herald Sports Reporter

Thursday, August 2, 2007 - Updated: 03:46 AM EST

The Celtics [team stats] addressed part of their need for a backup point guard by signing 6-foot-1 veteran Eddie House to a one-year contract yesterday.

House, who previously has backed up Steve Nash in Phoenix and Mike Bibby in Sacramento, averaged 8.4 points per game off the bench for New Jersey last year.

House is a high-energy player known for his 3-point shooting ability. He had a .429 shooting percentage from behind the arc last season and a .381 mark overall during his seven-year career.

The Celtics also signed Jackie Manuel, a 6-5 swingman known for his defense. Samuel played for Los Angeles of the NBDL last season.

The C’s, who now have 13 players on their roster, can add two more. One is expected to be a big man, with veteran 7-footer Dikembe Mutombo, 41,a possibility.
http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1014809

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-02-2007, 10:19 AM
Mutombo would be good to have on the Spurs. He could get the average age up to a new high.

ploto
08-02-2007, 11:37 AM
Butler may get even more of a chance than people thought.

romain.star
08-02-2007, 04:49 PM
Yeah... Garnett, Mutombo.... i can't wait for Ewing and Russel to sign for the Celts

bdictjames
08-02-2007, 05:10 PM
Why are the Celts threads here!?!

phxspurfan
08-02-2007, 06:03 PM
I'm not sure if I could build a better team, even if I had a SNES and my own copy of NBA Live '95.

ducks
08-02-2007, 06:25 PM
Why are the Celts threads here!?!
why are the forum police out :oink :oink :oink :ihit

phxspurfan
08-06-2007, 01:17 PM
BUMP Eddie House will not make Boston's bench suck less.

confined
08-06-2007, 01:54 PM
They don't need much of a bench with the trio that they have on their roster

The_Game
08-06-2007, 02:23 PM
BUMP Eddie House will not make Boston's bench suck less.

wrong

House gives them instant offense and a guy who can hit open shots. great shooters are very important for title runs.

mardigan
08-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Celtics, Pollard agree on deal
Veteran provides height up front
By Shira Springer, Globe Staff | August 7, 2007

The Celtics agreed to terms with free agent forward/center Scot Pollard yesterday, according to executive director of basketball operations/general manager Danny Ainge. The 6-foot-11-inch, 265-pound Pollard got a one-year deal believed to be worth the veteran minimum ($1.2 million for 10 years service). He adds a much-needed big man to the Celtics' frontcourt and raises the number of players under contract to 12, one shy of the league minimum.

Selected 19th overall by the Pistons in the 1997 draft, Pollard, 32, spent the bulk of his career with the Kings (five seasons). He enjoyed his best season with Sacramento in 2001-02, averaging a career-high 7.1 rebounds and 6.4 points. He played 80 games that year and averaged 23.5 minutes per contest.

After signing a one-year deal with Cleveland almost a year ago for about $2 million, Pollard played 24 games with the Cavaliers, averaging 1 point and 1.3 rebounds in 4.5 minutes per game. He has career averages of 4.5 points and 4.8 rebounds.

Preferring to wait until the deal is officially signed, Ainge declined to comment yesterday on why the team pursued Pollard. Undoubtedly, in addition to his size, the Celtics found Pollard's rebounding ability and intensity and energy appealing. Plus, after playing for the Cavaliers last season, he has experience with a playoff run to the NBA Finals. And it doesn't hurt that Pollard played two years at Kansas alongside Paul Pierce.

At the very least, Pollard promises to keep the locker room loose with his quirky humor and unusual hairstyles, like the mini-Mohawk he sported with Cleveland.

But sometimes Pollard can go too far. Late last season, when the Cavaliers played one of his former teams, the Pacers, Pollard was on the bench in street clothes. He made headlines when he looked into a camera and said, "Hey kids, do drugs." Pollard later apologized for the remark, calling it a bad joke.

Joking aside, if Pollard stays healthy and earns an opportunity to play consistently, he could be a pleasant surprise. While he may be less heralded than the other 30-something acquisitions the Celtics have made this offseason, he could be a valuable role player with his defense.

http://www.boston.com/sports/basketball/celtics/articles/2007/08/07/celtics_pollard_agree_on_deal/

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-07-2007, 12:25 PM
I would've gone with Mutombo.

phxspurfan
08-07-2007, 01:09 PM
Scot Pollard...

I'm not sure if I could build a better team, even if I had a SNES and my own copy of NBA Live '95.

mardigan
08-07-2007, 01:39 PM
Their trying to sign Sarunas Jasekevicius as well

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-08-2007, 10:49 AM
The Celtics, who reportedly had made an offer to Houston free agent Dikembe Mutombo, appear to have backed out of their pursuit of the ageless 7-footer. A league source said, short of retirement, Mutombo has indicated he is reluctant to move from his home in Houston, which also serves as the base for his many international interests, including his mission work in Africa.

But even without Mutombo’s defensive presence, the Celtics brass believe they have tightened themselves up defensively with the acquisition of Pollard. House will provide the same upgrade offensively.

http://celtics.bostonherald.com/celtics/view.bg?articleid=1015877