PDA

View Full Version : Fight on House floor

George Gervin's Afro
08-02-2007, 11:54 AM
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10093488

Lee Terry, Jackson go toe-to-toe on House floor
BY JOSEPH MORTON
WORLD-HERALD BUREAU

WASHINGTON — Nebraska Rep. Lee Terry quickly conceded that his chances of winning a fistfight against Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr. would be "zero."

Rep. Jesse Jackson Jr., D-Ill., demonstrates his martial arts prowess in a slide show on his campaign Web site.That assessment was almost put to the test Tuesday night when a heated exchange between the two men threatened to turn physical.

It started when Democrat Jackson said, during a contentious floor debate, that Republicans can't be trusted.

Republican Terry responded by telling Jackson to "shut up," then walked over to add that he had found the Illinois lawmaker's comment inappropriate.

Terry said Jackson let loose a profanity-filled tirade.

"I'm not going to turn with my tail between my legs," Terry said, "so I just stood there."

Then Jackson asked Terry if he'd care to step outside the chamber.

Jackson, who could not be reached for comment, is a martial arts enthusiast. Photos on his Web site show him clad in a black fighting outfit, whaling on an opponent. Terry has seen Jackson showing off his moves in the House gym and said he believes that Jackson is a black belt.

Terry, on the other hand, is much more at home in a hearing room than in the ring.

The Omahan decided that, in this case, discretion was the better part of valor. He said he "re- spectfully declined the request."

"I'd have to say my chances were pretty minimal," Terry said of the prospect of throwing down with Jackson. "I try to keep my sparring verbal."

Eventually, Rep. Steve Rothman, D-N.J., stepped in to break things up, suggesting that the two combatants head to separate corners to cool off. They did.

The debate that brought Terry and Jackson to the brink of fisticuffs came out of a dispute over the process that Democrats are using to push through proposals on children's health insurance. Republicans decided to vent their frustrations Tuesday night by holding up legislation on agriculture spending.

Jackson was particularly sore about the turn of events because he had spent a lot of time on the spending bill.

Terry said the whole incident was the result of bad timing. The two men talked Wednesday on the floor and made up, he said.

"We're all big boys," Terry said. "We shook hands and said it's all forgotten and behind us now."

Aren't these the same Republicans that have been telling America that Dems can't be trusted for the last 6+ yrs ? Now Dem says it back and the Republicans take a offence to that? :lol :lol :lol

Extra Stout
08-02-2007, 12:00 PM
If I were trying to make a point like this, I wouldn't reference a story where the representative of the party I like throws a profanity-laced tantrum like a maladjusted child, and then physically threatens another representative.

Extra Stout
08-02-2007, 12:01 PM
Although I guess that does beat cowering in the corner for 6 years, which had been the standard Dem response up to now.

George Gervin's Afro
08-02-2007, 12:03 PM
If I were trying to make a point like this, I wouldn't reference a story where the representative of the party I like throws a profanity-laced tantrum like a maladjusted child, and then physically threatens another representative.

No mention of the hypocrisy.. any word on that?

George Gervin's Afro
08-02-2007, 12:05 PM
Although I guess that does beat cowering in the corner for 6 years, which had been the standard Dem response up to now.

Luckily America supports your point by the results of 06 election... so I guess you sissies were beaten by a bunch of cowering in the corner wimps.. I guess you could be proud of that..

Extra Stout
08-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Hypocrisy? You get your dander up about the most asinine bullshit, you know?

If, as you allege, Republicans were making speeches in House chambers calling their Democratic colleagues "untrustworthy," and the Democrats failed to stand up to them, then the Democrats were being rather weak-kneed, wouldn't you say?

Unless you are just referring to pundits, bloggers, etc., calling Democrats "untrustworthy," which goes both ways pretty much every day, and in which case you are concerning yourself with asinine bullshit.

Extra Stout
08-02-2007, 12:11 PM
Luckily America supports your point by the results of 06 election... so I guess you sissies were beaten by a bunch of cowering in the corner wimps.. I guess you could be proud of that..
You're like a freaking left-wing version of Yonivore, you know?

Maybe if the Dems had had a spine between 2000 and 2006, they would have gained power earlier? Do you remember 2004, when the Democrats somehow managed to lose the presidential election to a functional incompetent?

George Gervin's Afro
08-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Hypocrisy? You get your dander up about the most asinine bullshit, you know?

If, as you allege, Republicans were making speeches in House chambers calling their Democratic colleagues "untrustworthy," and the Democrats failed to stand up to them, then the Democrats were being rather weak-kneed, wouldn't you say?

Unless you are just referring to pundits, bloggers, etc., calling Democrats "untrustworthy," which goes both ways pretty much every day, and in which case you are concerning yourself with asinine bullshit.

You know what? You right. I do get caught up with the rays and Yonis of the world. I can't believe they have me sinking to their level..

George Gervin's Afro
08-02-2007, 12:26 PM
You're like a freaking left-wing version of Yonivore, you know?

Maybe if the Dems had had a spine between 2000 and 2006, they would have gained power earlier? Do you remember 2004, when the Democrats somehow managed to lose the presidential election to a functional incompetent?

Right again. I hope this will be the last time someone evers compares me to Yoni..

Yonivore
08-02-2007, 01:26 PM
Care to point out where Representative Terry has said that Democrats can't be trusted?

I'm with Extra Stout and am more concerned that a Congressman would resort to schoolyard taunts and profanity in an effort to bait a physical confrontation on floor of the House.

Yonivore
08-02-2007, 01:27 PM
You know what? You right. I do get caught up with the rays and Yonis of the world. I can't believe they have me sinking to their level..
:lmao @ "sinking" As if that's the direction your dialog has taken.

Trainwreck2100
08-02-2007, 02:21 PM
Burr shot Hamilton on the floor did he not?

xrayzebra
08-02-2007, 02:41 PM

Sinking. Why if you ever reach my level you would have
to wear an oxygen mask.

DarkReign
08-02-2007, 02:44 PM
Dude, ES is spot on. Jackson acted like a complete idiot. If anything, this story shows what a terrible representative he is, regardless of affiliation.

DarkReign
08-02-2007, 02:47 PM
Sinking. Why if you ever reach my level you would have
to wear an oxygen mask.

ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZING!

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-02-2007, 03:02 PM
http://www.omaha.com/index.php?u_page=2798&u_sid=10093488

Aren't these the same Republicans that have been telling America that Dems can't be trusted for the last 6+ yrs ? Now Dem says it back and the Republicans take a offence to that? :lol :lol :lol

:lol At least you've already got the spin going. The "honorable" Jesse Jackson goes on a profanity laced tirade, gets upset and challenges someone to a fight, and you're outraged about a Republican taking offense to being called a liar?

:lmao At least you're consistent with the hate.

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-02-2007, 03:04 PM
Dude, ES is spot on. Jackson acted like a complete idiot. If anything, this story shows what a terrible representative he is, regardless of affiliation.

Countdown until he plays the race card in 3...2...1...