PDA

View Full Version : Marbury Says Don't Fear KG, Celts

oligarchy
08-02-2007, 12:23 PM
http://www.nypost.com/seven/08022007/sports/knicks/steph_says_dont_fear_kg__celts_sports_marc_berman. htm

STEPH SAYS DON'T FEAR KG, CELTS
By MARC BERMAN
August 2, 2007 -- Stephon Marbury said late last season he would love to reunite with Kevin Garnett. But Marbury feels no remorse Garnett is headed to Beantown and believes the Knicks should not be afraid of the new-look Celtics.

In an exclusive interview with The Post, Marbury also took shots at Minnesota GM Kevin McHale, expressing concern his cousin Sebastian Telfair, involved in the blockbuster, has to play for him.

"When I do speak to (Sebastian) I'll wish him good luck and tell him to be careful around Kevin McHale," Marbury said.

McHale's trade has made Boston the East's team to beat in some circles. Marbury isn't granting the Celtics the Eastern title.

"On paper, they're a really good team with guys who can really play, but they still have to get on the court and do it," Marbury said. "Chemistry is everything. We look good on paper, too, and we have a year under our belts.

"I'm not thinking about Boston," Marbury added. "I'm only thinking about the New York Knicks. Our new nickname is nice and nasty. That's how we're coming."

Isiah Thomas would've loved to snare Garnett, though Zach Randolph is a solid consolation prize.

"McHale wasn't trading him to Isiah; I knew that wasn't going to happen," Marbury said.

Marbury's dislike for McHale stems from his Minnesota days. Marbury felt betrayed after he was dealt by Minnesota, and McHale leaked Marbury was jealous of Garnett.

"As far as my little cousin, I wish him all the best because he's got to deal with Kevin McHale," Marbury said. "I wouldn't want to play for Kevin McHale. When I left, all of a sudden I became a bad person from his standpoint. I became selfish and jealous of Kevin."

Marbury feels good for the other Kevin.

"I'm very happy for him," Marbury said. "He finally put them in a corner from what I hear. He said he wanted out. He was tired of losing. Nobody likes losing."

Marbury, working out this week at the Knicks facility, will resume his Starbury discount sneaker tour Aug. 18. Marbury will make appearances at Steve & Barrys in Albany, Rochester and Buffalo before appearing Aug. 21 in Manhattan with two 18-wheelers for a giveaway of sneakers, haircuts and food.

[email protected]

mavsfan1000
08-02-2007, 12:42 PM
Cancerbury. lol

JMarkJohns
08-02-2007, 01:07 PM
Marbury is a tragically flawed player. Very, very good in his prime, but a skillset that didn't lend towards team success. At least not prolonged team success.

That being said, he's about as real and honest a human the NBA has. I think very highly of him. McHale is a prick, so I don't doubt he mishandled the Marbury situation.

I wrote this last year some time...
I'm not sure if there's a better person to have as a teammate than Marbury. I wish it would translate into wins because he is too good for his teams to be this bad. Frankly, if I could be friends with one athlete, it would be Marbury. I've met him once and was just that impressed. When he got in trouble for the DUI, he didn't fight it, he took his punishment like a man, spending 10 nights in jail, no special treatment. When Barbosa was drafted, he took the kid (who couldn't speak a word of English) under his wings, showed him around Phoenix, taught him the ins and outs of the League and bought him a $50,000 SUV, no charge. When he was traded, he thanked Jerry Colangelo for the time here and continued to check in on Barbosa. When Jerry had his prostate cancer, he called and sent flowers. He has openly given to various charities. In a time where players run around and cheat on their wives, he has never faced such allegations and has a wife and child that he seemingly adores. He was a stand up person for the Olympic squad, saying that even though the experience was a disappointment, he was thankful for the opportunity and honor and that he'd love to be asked again. Finally, for the large part, he has graciously accepted his fate on his beloved Knicks. He's being booed every time he steps on to the court, yet he hasn't lashed out at the Knicks or their fans.

In my opinion, there isn't a person better than Marbury. You're just not going to find one. On the court, he isn't selfish, so much as unable without the ball. He's not a catch-n-release shooter, he must create off the dribble. His best asset is his slashing ability. He uses this to create for himself and others equally. It's just his iso game is no longer suited for success and by the time he figured out how to succeed with it (02-03 Suns) the style was already dieing.

It's a shame. Honestly. I wish folks would understand that he's not selfish, not a greedy player or person. He's just useless without the ball in his hands and unfortunately, that style of play doesn't do anything but pad stats anymore.

I meant every word. Throw in his tear-soaked Hurricane Katrina Relief press conference, and his recent attempt to make a very affordable shoe that an NBA star actually wears, and you'll see he's really very, very giving. Giving time and money and words and actions to the Katrina relief, then giving up endorsments deals for shoes to provide an $15 basketball sneaker for those less fortunate.

He's really a stand up guy, who's inability to win on the court has affected his image.

I think it's crap.

Findog
08-02-2007, 01:09 PM
Starbury is not a bad guy, really, just a little over-enamored with his skillset, but what player isn't?

Flo-Rida
08-02-2007, 06:35 PM
Nobody should fear anyone execpt god

Mr.REDLION#22
08-02-2007, 07:00 PM
Starbury...:lol he talks about the knicks as if they were the defending champs :lmao

Cry Havoc
08-02-2007, 07:43 PM
Marbury is a tragically flawed player. Very, very good in his prime, but a skillset that didn't lend towards team success. At least not prolonged team success.

That being said, he's about as real and honest a human the NBA has. I think very highly of him. McHale is a prick, so I don't doubt he mishandled the Marbury situation.

I wrote this last year some time...
I'm not sure if there's a better person to have as a teammate than Marbury. I wish it would translate into wins because he is too good for his teams to be this bad. Frankly, if I could be friends with one athlete, it would be Marbury. I've met him once and was just that impressed. When he got in trouble for the DUI, he didn't fight it, he took his punishment like a man, spending 10 nights in jail, no special treatment. When Barbosa was drafted, he took the kid (who couldn't speak a word of English) under his wings, showed him around Phoenix, taught him the ins and outs of the League and bought him a $50,000 SUV, no charge. When he was traded, he thanked Jerry Colangelo for the time here and continued to check in on Barbosa. When Jerry had his prostate cancer, he called and sent flowers. He has openly given to various charities. In a time where players run around and cheat on their wives, he has never faced such allegations and has a wife and child that he seemingly adores. He was a stand up person for the Olympic squad, saying that even though the experience was a disappointment, he was thankful for the opportunity and honor and that he'd love to be asked again. Finally, for the large part, he has graciously accepted his fate on his beloved Knicks. He's being booed every time he steps on to the court, yet he hasn't lashed out at the Knicks or their fans.

In my opinion, there isn't a person better than Marbury. You're just not going to find one. On the court, he isn't selfish, so much as unable without the ball. He's not a catch-n-release shooter, he must create off the dribble. His best asset is his slashing ability. He uses this to create for himself and others equally. It's just his iso game is no longer suited for success and by the time he figured out how to succeed with it (02-03 Suns) the style was already dieing.

It's a shame. Honestly. I wish folks would understand that he's not selfish, not a greedy player or person. He's just useless without the ball in his hands and unfortunately, that style of play doesn't do anything but pad stats anymore.

I meant every word. Throw in his tear-soaked Hurricane Katrina Relief press conference, and his recent attempt to make a very affordable shoe that an NBA star actually wears, and you'll see he's really very, very giving. Giving time and money and words and actions to the Katrina relief, then giving up endorsments deals for shoes to provide an $15 basketball sneaker for those less fortunate.

He's really a stand up guy, who's inability to win on the court has affected his image.

I think it's crap.

All this being said, anyone who EVER refers to himself as "Starbury" has definite and drastic ego problems.

JMarkJohns
08-02-2007, 10:29 PM
All this being said, anyone who EVER refers to himself as "Starbury" has definite and drastic ego problems.

I agree. He definately has an ego. Or, rather, had. I'm unsure if he still calls himself Starbury, though I think it's the name of his shoe, so I guess he still thinks that highly of himself.

Statistically, however, he had put himself in a very elite class, being one of just a handful of PG to average 20 ppg and 8 apg for eight years in a row.

Robertson did it for ten season...
Payton did it for six seasons...
Thomas did it for four seasons...
Magic did it for just two seasons...
Stockton never did it...

These are in a row, BTW...

So, as I recall, Marbury is second on the list of consecutive seasons averaging 20 ppg and 8 apg.

Like I said, the style with which he did such wasn't condusive for team success, but he was most definately a star.

Keeping in mind, that in 10 seasons, Marbury is averaging 20.2 ppg and 8.1 apg... So, again, statistically, he's very, very good.

Fillmoe
08-02-2007, 10:42 PM
He seems like a good guy, but as of late it looks as if hes on that Shawn Kemp.... He's been acting real weird in the media.....

Brutalis
08-04-2007, 10:01 PM
Some 'good' players aren't that good. The numbers add up but the ego's, and actually... if they even care to win, or habits play a huge role. Some guys just don't give a shit I guess.

yourcheatinheart
08-07-2007, 01:21 AM
stephon has always been a stand up guy. when the suns got him i was dissapointed j-kidd was leaving, yet excited because of the caliber of player starbury was. i enjoyed watching him here in phoenix and wish him nothing but good things. i don't know about this shit though, calling out kevin mchale and putting his cousin in a weird position like he did. he's talking about playing in italy when his contracts up. think he might be going through some post-superstar crisis or something???....