PDA

View Full Version : Best NBA city: San Antonio

Kori Ellis
08-02-2007, 03:24 PM
Best NBA city: San Antonio
Greenberg's SportingBlog

August 2, 2007

As part of SN's celebration of sports' best, our writers make cases for the best football, basketball, baseball, hockey, NASCAR and college cities.

http://www.sportingnews.com/yourturn/viewtopic.php?t=249323

The boss asked me -- wait, told me -- to write a short blog on why San Antonio is the best NBA town. So let me crack my knuckles here and ... turn it over to one of my favorite fan bloggers, the great SanAnDynasty:

"Most major cities in the U.S. have multiple professional sports teams. San Antonio has just one -- the Spurs -- and that is a blessing in disguise," SanAnDynasty writes in an e-mail to the lazy Sporting News employee whose work he is doing. "Although I would love an NFL team in my hometown, the Spurs' being the only pro franchise allows us, as fans, to concentrate all of our energy and focus on the team we love so dearly."

SanAnDynasty breaks down about 1,000 other reasons San Antone is No. 1, including:

1. The Spurs and their fans handle winning with class. "Do we overturn cars and start fires when we win a title?" he writes. "No. We celebrate with friends and family, maybe have a margarita on the Riverwalk and turn our focus to next season."

2. Spurs players don't get into any trouble off the court. "They represent our city with pride and dignity."

3. The bottom line: "Nothing comes before the Spurs. That's what makes San Antonio the best NBA town."

I would disagree with any of that if I could.

I was in San Antonio for a Spurs game this season. The energy from those fans was wonderful -- very positive and yet more intense than you typically get from sports' politest, best-behaved crowds. That arena got loud and, no question, everyone there was glued to the game.

It impressed me because of how long the Spurs have been winning. The fans haven't gotten spoiled at all. They're still hungry.

But I'm going to stop here because, let's face it, I'm not saying it half as well as SanAnDynasty can.

atxrocker
08-02-2007, 03:26 PM
:lmao @ the title of this thread. thanks for the laugh, kori.

da_suns_fan__
08-02-2007, 03:29 PM
Maybe "Best NBA city that doesn't sell out playoff games".

tlongII
08-02-2007, 03:35 PM
Very humorous article.

IceColdBrewski
08-02-2007, 03:37 PM

You'll have to excuse us for not selling out every single playoff game nowadays. As fans who're used to winning Championships, we've grown rather spoiled. And whether you admit it or not, you're secretly wishing suns fans had the same problem.

T Park
08-02-2007, 03:38 PM
:lol

the usual trolls come waddling out I see.

ShoogarBear
08-02-2007, 03:38 PM
See?

Ignoring the anklebiters.

Winning with class.

da_suns_fan__
08-02-2007, 03:42 PM
San Antonio Spurs: Best NBA City*

* To kick its team out of town for the rodeo.

atxrocker
08-02-2007, 03:43 PM
fattest or poorest nba city would have been a much more appropriate thread title.

Clutch20
08-02-2007, 03:49 PM
Oh the gnashing of teeth and half-hearted denials........ belie the true level of seething animosity felt towards city of the black and silver and it's ever supportive and appreciative fans.

May this welcome parlour called SpursTalk, where even the disparate and less fortunate supporters of other teams are allowed to display their coarse, ill-tempered manners towards their ever gracious hosts, thrive and continue to provide balance and equal opportunity for voicing opinions throughout the coming years.

T Park
08-02-2007, 03:51 PM
fattest or poorest nba city would have been a much more appropriate thread title.

better than

Highest white trash population in the NBA, that good old Sacramento holds onto.

whottt
08-02-2007, 04:01 PM
I love how all these losers that root for other teams hang out on Spurs Message Boards 24/7 even in the offseason...

LMAO @ KingsFan laughing at any one else...

56 years and counting...you define the term loser as it applies to NBA fans...there is no bigger loser than you. The fact that you actually chose to be a loser makes it even funnier.

56 years and counting...

Oh..and BTW, good luck on the rebuild.

Real Tomato Ketchup
08-02-2007, 04:04 PM
San Antonio Spurs: Best NBA City*

* To kick its team out of town for the rodeo.

Is that better or worse than the circus?

ShoogarBear
08-02-2007, 04:05 PM
fattest or poorest nba city would have been a much more appropriate thread title.Soon, Sacramento may not be eligible to make any list.

FromWayDowntown
08-02-2007, 04:10 PM
I'm surprised that the garden spot of the NBA, Sactown, didn't get this recognition.

My lasting memory of a trip to Sacramento for Game 3 of the First Round series in 2006 was some absolutely hammered dude standing in a parking lot, wearing a Doug Christie jersey, holding some purple glow-in-the-dark dildo looking object, screaming "Tim Duncan Sucks." Oh, how a picture would have just made for such beautiful irony.

oligarchy
08-02-2007, 04:11 PM

Men's Health for 2006 says that Chicago is the fattest city. Dallas and Houston are above SA on the list.

San Antonio's median income is 40,XXX, and the median home value is 89,XXX. Compare that to Sacramento of 44,XXX and the median home value is 341,XXX.

252,000 more for a home and only 4,000 more a year.

Thanks for your insightfulness!

PM5K
08-02-2007, 04:13 PM
Is it just me or was that a shitty article?

Extra Stout
Sacramento: Best NBA city for animal husbandry.

Extra Stout
Moo Kings Moo!!!!

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Is that better or worse than the circus?
Depends on your opinion of clowns.

ObiwanGinobili
08-02-2007, 04:14 PM
Is it just me or was that a shitty article?

i was totally unimpressed as well.

Kori Ellis
08-02-2007, 04:15 PM
It's not an article - it's a blog post.

Real Tomato Ketchup
08-02-2007, 04:17 PM
Depends on your opinion of clowns.

Why? They come with both packages.

ShoogarBear
08-02-2007, 04:17 PM
How have we gotten this far without anyone pointing out that the blogger is a member of the famous Dynasty family?

SpursWoman
08-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Men's Health for 2006 says that Chicago is the fattest city. Dallas and Houston are above SA on the list.

San Antonio's median income is 40,XXX, and the median home value is 89,XXX. Compare that to Sacramento of 44,XXX and the median home value is 341,XXX.

Thanks for your insightfulness!.

I wouldn't even bother...every other post of his for the last year or so is pretty much telling everyone how much he hates San Antonio, and how fat and poor we all are ... like somehow we really give a shit. I think he lives in Austin, anyway.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Why? They come with both packages.
Because at the rodeo there's a chance to see them gored and trampled.

DynastyDynasty
08-02-2007, 04:20 PM
How have we gotten this far without anyone pointing out that the blogger is a member of the famous Dynasty family?

You tell me.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-02-2007, 04:20 PM
That's just a fluke.

Kori Ellis
08-02-2007, 04:22 PM

Well the blogger isn't. The blogger is Steve Greenberg of Sporting News. The fan who sent him the email, who he is quoting, is a Dynasty member though - which was my point of the thread. I thought it would be funny if it was SpursDynasty or another member of SpursTalk.

bdictjames
08-02-2007, 05:12 PM
What about Worst NBA City? New York? :lol

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-02-2007, 11:21 PM

Wow, envy and petty jealousy rears it's ugly head. When little men with little minds envy, they knock everything about us whether it's good or bad.
No problem, it's just the price of success. To bad you guys will never know the feeling.

Spurs - 4 NBA championships
Suns - 0 but feebly trying
Queens - they have a basketball team?

Avitus1
08-03-2007, 02:04 AM
All those haters out there still coming to terms.... Spurs are the champs the rest gotta go back to the drawing board.

Nash_Is_My_Lover
08-03-2007, 03:29 AM
LOL @ This.

San Antonio a basketball city? No Thanks, more like rodeo city. Get on them Horses you Cowboys!

TheAuthority
08-03-2007, 06:12 AM
Is it just me... or does every suns fan you see... say, do and look borderline homo? A typical suns fan has highlights in his hair, talks like he just got done surfing and goes to a tanning salon. It's just not a few, it's all of them. The suns are the team of the homo. Just look at Nash and his hair. Nobody licks their fingers while dribbling unless they're a homo, I mean... that's pretty clear cut.

Cry Havoc
08-03-2007, 07:32 AM

You're KILLIN' ME, Smalls! :(

Switchman
08-03-2007, 08:49 AM

If I were 20 years older I would have season tickets.

By the time I can afford some baller seats, Duncan will probably be dead :(

Clutch20
08-03-2007, 08:58 AM
You are the future, Switchman, but you're also a caretaker of the Spur's rich Playoff History.
Don't ever let them forget about the championships your team made when you finally get those season tickets long time from now

waly.mg
08-03-2007, 12:19 PM
http://widget.slide.com/rdr/1/1/4/S/9000000020ac010/1/59/DAtNxXU-5T-

Very True

Eva Longoria can Live in Hollywood and she choice SA

MrChug
08-03-2007, 03:02 PM

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO PWNED!!!!!!!

Shred
08-03-2007, 03:07 PM
Is San Antonio the only NBA city without NFL football, baseball, hockey or NCAA D-I football? Sacramento? I would think that helps focus the local population's interest a bit....

T Park
08-03-2007, 03:16 PM
Is San Antonio the only NBA city without NFL football, baseball, hockey or NCAA D-I football? Sacramento? I would think that helps focus the local population's interest a bit....

Memphis

Orlando

Extra Stout
08-03-2007, 03:16 PM

Men's Health does not measure how fat people actually are, but rather measures the fatness of "lifestyles," measured by things like park space, climate, availability of healthy food (as defined by the magazine*), walkable areas, etc.

Last year, Baltimore was ranked as the "healthiest" city. In other words, the survey is complete bullshit.

In terms of the actual amount of excess weight among a city's population, San Antonio is easily the fattest city in America. Only New Orleans comes close.

*--Men's Health's criteria allow that a philly cheesesteak is "health food," while a protein shake is "junk food."

callo1
08-03-2007, 03:17 PM

Phoenix Suns = Most entertaining, talented, MVP lead, Coach of the year coached, high seeded, destined to never win squat team in the history of the NBA.

It is ok though, the Suns are "entertaining"...and besides, if it wasn't for officiating I'm sure the Suns would have 4-5 titles by now :rolleyes

Extra Stout
08-03-2007, 03:18 PM
Memphis

Orlando
Conference USA includes the University of Memphis and the University of Central Florida.

Clutch20
08-03-2007, 04:37 PM
Mythical birds that never rise up from their asshes?

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-03-2007, 04:51 PM

The topic of the thread is about SA being the best NBA city. Sure popular support focus' into that, but so will winning four NBA throphies. And in addition to all our championships our basketball team also happens to have the best winning percentage of all professional sports franchises. That would get you popular support whether you're in SA, LA or heaven forbid Phoenix. Also don't discount the non-news, (ie) no riots or crime waves after each championship celebration.

Tek_XX
08-03-2007, 07:22 PM
Unless your UT or USC, who really cares about D-1 college football in your town.

fyatuk
08-03-2007, 07:37 PM
Unless your UT or USC, who really cares about D-1 college football in your town.

Tell that to Norman, Birmingham, and Columbus at least I'm sure...

mikejones99
08-03-2007, 07:40 PM
Portland, Oregon is best for most things except they can't beat the Spurs on the court

Buddy Holly
08-03-2007, 08:05 PM
In terms of the actual amount of excess weight among a city's population, San Antonio is easily the fattest city in America. Only New Orleans comes close.

I'd love to see the study on that. And if that study has anything to do with BMI, just take it and shove it up someone's ass because it's worthless. Otherwise, post the data behind that claim.

Extra Stout
08-03-2007, 09:16 PM
I'd love to see the study on that. And if that study has anything to do with BMI, just take it and shove it up someone's ass because it's worthless. Otherwise, post the data behind that claim.
Dude, relax. The buildings themselves aren't obese.

ShoogarBear
08-03-2007, 09:29 PM
:lol

SPARKY
08-03-2007, 10:04 PM

Tamales
Chorizo
Cerveza

Anything else?

Buddy Holly
08-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Tamales
Chorizo
Cerveza

Anything else?

Yeah, nowhere in this country is that stuff sold.

Buddy Holly
08-03-2007, 10:33 PM
Dude, relax. The buildings themselves aren't obese.

I'll admit that was clever and made me laugh. But I see you dodged my actual request.

SPARKY
08-03-2007, 10:37 PM
This is San Antonio de Bexar, after all.

JamStone
08-03-2007, 10:41 PM
San Antonio is a great NBA city. And, I don't even disagree that it's the best right now. Other cities might have arguments, but it's hard to refute that San Antonio's the best. However, I do have a some issues with a couple things said in this thread:

1. The Spurs and their fans handle winning with class. "Do we overturn cars and start fires when we win a title?" he writes. "No. We celebrate with friends and family, maybe have a margarita on the Riverwalk and turn our focus to next season."

This is such a crap comment. When was the last time a city won an NBA title and overturned cars and started fires? Has it ever happened? The comment is arrogant as if San Antonio is the only city capable of not having some problems in a post title celebration. Again, when has cars being overturned and fires getting started even happened after an NBA title was won?

You'll have to excuse us for not selling out every single playoff game nowadays. As fans who're used to winning Championships, we've grown rather spoiled. And whether you admit it or not, you're secretly wishing suns fans had the same problem.

Wouldn't spoiled fans and the inability to sellout out playoff games take away from how good San Antonio is as an NBA city? I think that's a very legitimate criticism relevant to this topic.

Buddy Holly
08-03-2007, 10:42 PM
This is San Antonio de Bexar, after all.

Yeah, and you probably have all three of those food items in your frig right now, so what's your point?

Buddy Holly
08-03-2007, 10:44 PM
Wouldn't spoiled fans and the inability to sellout out playoff games take away from how good San Antonio is as an NBA city? I think that's a very legitimate criticism relevant to this topic.

Have people forgotten that the one game the Spurs didn't sell out was because of a ticketmaster fuck up.

SPARKY
08-03-2007, 10:45 PM
Yeah, and you probably have all three of those food items in your frig right now so what's your point?

Do you even live in SA?

Buddy Holly
08-03-2007, 10:47 PM
Do you even live in SA?

No bitch... :rolleyes

Really, you wasted a post on that? A sarcastic rhetorical question.

SPARKY
08-03-2007, 10:48 PM
Yeah, I guess the staple of SA cookery is tofu.

Buddy Holly
08-03-2007, 10:49 PM

Explain to me ol' wise one, what city's is? :dramaquee

Chicago with the deep dish, hot dogs and sausages. Philly with their cheesesteaks, hoagies and soft pretzels. Memphis, Houston, Dallas with their barbeque. You're right, all of them are damn health freaks.

SPARKY
08-03-2007, 11:00 PM
SA is obviously the land of health and fitness.

Buddy Holly
08-03-2007, 11:06 PM
SA is obviously the land of health and fitness.

And you obviously can't post more than 7-10 word sarcastic sentences. Perhaps instead of taking those few braincells that still function in your clinically dead brain and trying to squeeze them for everything they're worth to come up with those jewels, get out and go run because you pasty white dough boy are the last person who needs to be criticizing cities or any people on a proper healthy lifestyle.

SPARKY
08-03-2007, 11:09 PM
Now now, child. Allegiance to one's hometown is admirable, though quaint. San Antonio is obviously the center of Western civilization and all that is good in the universe.

It's also the home of a nut who needs to get some tail.

Buddy Holly
08-03-2007, 11:11 PM
Impressive, you are now achieving plus 20 words per sarcastic sentence. Slow your pace down though, don't want to bust a blood vessel now.

SPARKY
08-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Yeah, well, I do not reside in San Antonio. Dear me.

SPARKY
08-03-2007, 11:23 PM
My favorite memory of Fiesta as a child was visiting El Mercado and snacking on some grilled tofu. Yum.

Buddy Holly
08-03-2007, 11:26 PM
Yeah, well, I do not reside in San Antonio. Dear me.

Which would explain many a'things.

From your lumpy pale white backwoods look to your insatiable need to make yourself look like a retarded human being to the simple fact that at 11 o'clock on a Friday night you're on your computer acting going back and forth with me. I guess where you reside not only is health number one on the menu but so is a nonexistent social life.

.... because the inevitable reply from you will question my involvement in this little fest at 11 o'clock on a Friday. As if I really need to explain myself, well, being at home with my "tail" is a much better night spent. Have fun with that. I'll be in eager anticipation.

SPARKY
08-03-2007, 11:28 PM
Yeah, obviously I wouldn't be enjoying a weekend without the wife and you wouldn't be lying while defending your true love, Santa Antonioria.

Buddy Holly
08-03-2007, 11:31 PM
Yeah, obviously I wouldn't be enjoying a weekend without the wife and you wouldn't be lying while defending your true love, Santa Antonioria.

A wife? Dude, either you kidnapped a woman and locked her in a cement room under your house or you dress up in your mothers clothing. Either way, you're lying your g'd ass off with that one. By the way, clever, Santa... I love that guy but don't think I'd date him.

SPARKY
08-03-2007, 11:33 PM
No need to share your tactics. I'll read them on the Smoking Gun soon enough.

Shred
08-03-2007, 11:36 PM
Get a room.

Buddy Holly
08-03-2007, 11:41 PM
I can actually see where you get your he-lar-ious material from.

'MB on the computer in the living room. He scratches his head in what looks like frustration. He then stomps his foot on the floor.'

MB: Hey, I got this guy on the forum I post at, he's being a total a-hole (because white trashians say a-hole) and it's pissing me off. What should I say.

'Mummbled words barely break through the stained carpet.

MB: Jesus christ, wait a minute.

'MB gets up from his chair and opens a hatch.'

MB: What'd ya say?

'A young lady in a potato sack with the word "wife" spelled with glow-in-the-dark crayola crayon sits in a dark corner shaking like a scared dog'

Woman: Tell him he needs to get some tail.

MB: Woooie, that's fucking perfect, honey. Tonight, you get two rolls with your sammitch.

'Five minutes later...'

MB: Ahhhh shit, I told him what you told me and he's still at it.

Woman: Post a big picture of downtown San Antonio and tell him not to cum all over the screen.

MB: Baby girl, what would I do wid out you?

Woman: Just let me go Mister, please.

MB: Shut up bitch.

And so concludes another Friday night at the MB home/trailer/sex prison.

SPARKY
08-03-2007, 11:47 PM
http://endodontics.uthscsa.edu/images/Satx1.jpg

Don't get any on the keyboard.

Buddy Holly
08-03-2007, 11:51 PM
And look, he did it.

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-04-2007, 12:00 AM

Never, ever knock tortilla tofu. I understand it's the traditional dish of the Ethiopian immigrants that migrated into the San Antonio area shortly after the fall of the Alamo. If it's good enough for Andrew Zimmern then it's good enough for me.

TheAuthority
08-18-2007, 04:35 AM
When San Antonio games aren't sold out... in the playoffs... at home, you can't consider it one of the best NBA cities -- let alone THE best. That is nuts. Makes no sense, at all.

Obstructed_View
08-18-2007, 06:08 AM
Can't argue with that logic. It's not like they didn't sell out the Alamodome. When people would rather watch a playoff game at Fatsos than the arena, you have a problem.

Shred
08-18-2007, 07:59 AM
Isn't that kind of like being named valedictorian at a school for special needs students? Or winning an argument on the Internets?

ShoogarBear
08-18-2007, 12:24 PM
Isn't that kind of like being named valedictorian at a school for special needs students? Or winning an argument on the Internets?Then what would incessant whining that you weren't the valedictorian be like?

Solid D
08-18-2007, 01:02 PM

Most likely to have a caring family member carry out some sort of intervention. :drunk :dizzy :loser

SenorSpur
08-18-2007, 04:10 PM
Sacramento: Best NBA city for animal husbandry.

....and best NBA city for cowbells.

HighLowLobForBig-50
08-18-2007, 05:31 PM
i love my Spurs, i love San Antonio and i love our dedicated fanbase. I also happen to LOVE the way you guys OWN this forum for San Antonio. Ive been comin on here to read your stuff for a long time and have only posted a few times. It's like you all have your own role for dealing with haters and you run them off with factual info. everytime. they stand no chance not only because of our obvious advantage but because the haters loose any credibility when they choose to let only hate do their talking which is projected as pure ignorance. to compound it all , we have knowledge and fairness in kori, we have our own little stat chasers, we've got our own sh!t talkers, we've got our own comedians, we've even got our own research roles. Anyhoo, it works perfect. keep up the good work, i'll never get tired of see'in yall run off the haters on a daily basis. a quiet participant,
B

ps- if anyone needs proof , simply note that the majority of trash talkin by haters typically is near the beginning of a thread. Thats before they get punked by our ST players.

LakerLanny
08-19-2007, 01:02 PM

Sorry, no excuse....particularly at those ticket prices.

You can get seats down low in SA for what you would pay to watch the game in a bar in LA.

Man up and sell out your arena for crissakes.

E20
08-19-2007, 01:39 PM
Oakland was a pretty good NBA city when the Warrior made the PO's. They were going crazy over everything even a TO by their own team.

Dennis Lindsey
08-19-2007, 01:54 PM
I think JVG said it best when he talked about SA during the finals: "LeBron spent all day in his hotel room watching tapes on the Spurs. What else is there to do in San Antonio?" :lol

judaspriestess
08-19-2007, 02:14 PM
Sorry, no excuse....particularly at those ticket prices.

You can get seats down low in SA for what you would pay to watch the game in a bar in LA.

I'm going to have to agree with you lakerlanny. Not selling out playoff games is terrible and sad.

Louie Vega
08-19-2007, 06:06 PM
Can't argue with that logic. It's not like they didn't sell out the Alamodome. When people would rather watch a playoff game at Fatsos than the arena, you have a problem.

I used to love to watch games at the 'Dome! Comfortable seating and great atmosphere! Fuck the AT&T! That piece of shit is nothing but a sardine can! I love my Spurs but the overall organization are nothing but a bunch of cheap skates! Holt is a cheap bastard and the Spurs promotions department lacks imagination! Either they lack imagination or they have no budget to do shit! My money is on the latter!

Buddy Holly
08-19-2007, 06:21 PM

Hey jackass, man up and google some shit so you can fucking understand that Spurs fans sell out their arena during the playoffs. So quit using one game where Ticketmaster crapped out a mega-fuckup of Bush-like proportions as some type of analysis of Spurs fans.

remingtonbo2001
08-19-2007, 10:12 PM
This is such a crap comment. When was the last time a city won an NBA title and overturned cars and started fires? Has it ever happened? The comment is arrogant as if San Antonio is the only city capable of not having some problems in a post title celebration. Again, when has cars being overturned and fires getting started even happened after an NBA title was won?

I'm sure there were some overturned vehicles in Chicago. It's Chicago. Now, San Antonians might not start fires and turn vehicles, but will still manage to commit stabbing, or any other various means of assult.

LilMissSPURfect
08-20-2007, 12:29 PM
aaaaaa ooooooooo this is spurstalk and I agree....regardless of ticket sales or murders we holding the trophy now and reasonably celebrate with class

BEST NBA CITY --BEST TEAM - BEST FAN....<ahem>BEST FANS ;-)

Solid D
08-20-2007, 02:24 PM
I don't think "Best NBA City Award" has a trophy, ring or banner associated with it. It's not listed in the record books. However, San Antonio has tangible basketball championship trophies, rings and banners, 4-times over. Compare and ponder.