PDA

View Full Version : 17 years, $1 million dollars = $62500/year

Nbadan
08-03-2007, 01:59 AM
That's how much money Insannity's freedom concerts and his Freedom Alliance have donated to the tuition fund for children of heros. Barely enough to pay tuition for 2 kids and 1/125th of what Insannity makes yearly....

Monetizing freedom
Country and commerce at Sean Hannity's tour for the troops
by Cullen Hendrix

For a night featuring mostly country artists, the Sean Hannity Freedom Concert attracts a pretty diverse crowd: white people of all stripes. There are some legitimate rednecks in attendance ("Burnin' gas and kickin' ass" reads the inscription on one Confederate-flag-sporting Chevy). However, the vast majority of concertgoers are country-music fans, typical suburban families and military men and women with their dates.

A sizeable number of people roam the venue like seniors with dementia, apparently not sure why they've come. Others have astounding certitude.

I'm on the ground less than 30 seconds before I meet "Jerry" (not his real name). On the short side and with a cheery demeanor, Jerry might be a schoolteacher or postal clerk. Today, however, he's passing out flyers for a group that's determined to stop "the coming merger with Mexico and Canada." Apparently having missed the memo, I ask Jerry when the merger is set to take place.

"Oh, it'll be by 2010, or 2011 at the latest," he responds flatly. I wonder aloud how a federal government that couldn't get fresh water to downtown New Orleans for three days after Katrina is poised to pull off such a massively unpopular undertaking, especially one that's unconstitutional—in three countries, no less.

"Well, they're getting started over at the CFR [Council on Foreign Relations] and the superhighway connecting Mexico and Canada. The Republicans want it because they want the cheap labor, and the Democrats want it because of all the increased tax revenue."

I figure that with the war creating a massive deficit and the armed forces failing to meet recruitment goals, this might not be such a bad thing.

I make it another 10 feet before a square-jawed, muscled man in a Minutemen T-shirt hands me a flyer. Since 2005, the Minutemen have been patrolling the Mexican border as self-deputized Border Patrol assistants. Like with the Guardian Angels (who themselves were in attendance for reasons that defy easy explanation), actual law-enforcement professionals seem perpetually annoyed by their presence.

I ask if he's excited to hear Lee Greenwood.

"Eh," he mutters. "I wish they had some rock 'n' roll here tonight, but you take what you [can] get."

Indeed. The Hannity Freedom Concert series has conservative pundit Sean Hannity touring the country with Nashville-based Greenwood—whose "God Bless the USA," released during Gulf War I, has become the unofficial theme song for invasions of Middle Eastern countries. A revolving coterie of honky-tonk pop bands headline each show (this night, it's Montgomery Gentry).

Also on hand is former Iran Contra lynchpin and current conservative radio pundit Oliver North, as well as soon-to-be Republican presidential candidate Fred Thompson. With country crooners, a shock jock, a convicted felon and a former TV chief prosecutor, you'd expect this motley coalition of the willing to advocate uncritical support of a foreign policy that's currently boasting a 30-percent approval rate.

Except it doesn't.

The concert's stated cause is the Freedom Alliance, a nonprofit organization dedicated to providing college education for the children of fallen soldiers. As an unassailably worthwhile charity organization, Hannity's managed to nestle an awfully compelling baby amidst a lot of bathwater. That bathwater includes a team of George Bush and Hillary Clinton impersonators (who "hilariously" and repeatedly confuse Barack Obama and Osama bin Laden), a separate comedy duo that traffics in sub-Hee Haw humor and a presumably taxpayer-funded flyover by two Navy helicopters.

As the Sea Hawks churn overhead, I bump into two East County teenagers. I ask them who they are there to see.

"I don't know, really," the taller, more pimply one replies. "Our father won tickets on the radio and gave them to us."

This would become a recurring theme: people who couldn't quite put their finger on why they were there. The biggest cheers of the evening go to Hannity and Thompson—who, ironically or not, spend the least time talking. A genuinely touching reunion between soldiers in Iraq and their San Diego families—relayed via videoconference—is undermined by massive amounts of radio interference. Greenwood's set is greeted with stunning indifference. I scan the orchestra section for anyone singing along. I find 10 people (out of perhaps 1,000) who look like they're doing something more fun than checking their e-mail.

Amid the mass of detached onlookers I meet Andrea Stone, executive director of the Rescue Task Force. Blonde and cheerful, she energetically explains how her organization collects donations to provide backpacks to injured soldiers at military hospitals like Walter Reed and Balboa Naval. The backpacks contain essentials (clothing, toiletries) and stuff to pass the time (Game Boys, CDs), as well as cell phones and phone cards so the injured troops can keep in touch with their families. As we chat, a gray-haired woman approaches and compliments Andrea on her American-flag lapel pin, complete with LED lights.

"I'll give it to you if you make a donation here tonight," Andrea replies.

"How much?" Gray Hair asks

"Five dollars."

Gray Hair settles on 10, dropping the bills in an open backpack. A few minutes later, I see her aimlessly roaming the annex with her patriotic, flashing American flag pinned to her sweatshirt. I think about how Andrea Stone auctioned off her personal belongings for this woman's ten-spot. In that light, it's somewhat surprising when Hannity and North later announce that after 17 years, Freedom Alliance has managed to dole out "over a million dollars" in scholarship money.

That amounts to a little more than $62,500 per year—about what it costs to send two children per year to a private institution. It also amounts to roughly 0.8 percent of the $125 million, five-year contract Hannity signed with ABC Radio in 2004. Assuming an average ticket price of $30 (after ticket comps are accounted for), it's roughly twice what this one concert grossed.

San Diego CityBeat (http://sdcitybeat.com/article.php?id=6027)

sabar
08-03-2007, 02:08 AM
It's more percent of his income than most people here have ever given.

The real crime is touting the event as such a massive charitable thing, when it's of course is just to boost image and recruit loyal listeners. But the sheep will go. Doesn't matter in the end. GOP gains loyalty through near total radio dominance and the left gets it from newspaper dominance and TV.

Either way, don't brag about charity unless you got 10-20% of your income going in. Being a multi-millionaire raises the bar even higher, even if they are taxed the most (not that they are taxed enough).

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 07:02 AM
Well it's a great venue for the backslappers to get together and lie, I mean talk about democrats..

Aggie Hoopsfan
08-03-2007, 08:39 AM
Well it's a great venue for the backslappers to get together and lie, I mean talk about democrats..

So, how much has Michael Moore donated to help out America's youths? Hillary? Obama? Typical weak post from you.

It ain't much, but he's doing more than anyone on the left.

johnsmith
08-03-2007, 08:42 AM
So, how much has Michael Moore donated to help out America's youths? Hillary? Obama? Typical weak post from you.

And much, much more then Dan as well.

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 08:48 AM

I believe the democrats are the one's who are behind increasing the funds for better care for the veterans when they return from iraq.

SENATE DEMOCRATS ARE PROVIDING FOR OUR NATION’S INJURED TROOPS AND VETERANS

Senate Democrats Passed Wounded Warriors Bill to Upgrade Military Health Care and Ease the Transition from Military Health Care to Veterans Health Care. The Senate passed a bill to upgrade military health care and the transition of wounded soldiers from the Pentagon’s health care system to the Department of Veterans Affairs. The legislation also included a 3.5% pay raise for our nation’s troops. [CQ Today, 7/24/07; Senate Floor Proceedings, 7/25/07]

Democrats Passed Legislation Out of Committee Providing the Largest Increase for Veterans Affairs Funding in History. “House and Senate appropriators are both confidently moving forward with their proposals to give the Veterans Affairs Department its largest-ever budget increase to address the increasing health care needs of veterans returning from the wars in Iraq and Afghanistan. The House passed its version of the fiscal 2008 Military Construction and Veterans Affairs appropriations bill (HR 2642) June 15 by a vote of 409-2. The Senate Appropriations Committee approved, 28-1, its draft version on June 14.” [CQ Today, 6/15/07]

Iraq Supplemental Appropriations Bill Included Additional $1.8 Billion for Veterans’ Health Care. “The House and Senate approved the $120 billion package yesterday. The president had requested $103 billion, but Congress added additional spending requirements to increase veterans’ health care programs by $1.8 billion, military construction and realignment by almost $5 billion, and homeland security by more than $1 billion.” [VFW Press Release, 5/25/07]

I don't hear the "freedom concert" promoters mention any of this.
maybe you right wingers need to expand your news sources because this legislation just happened. Those evil dems... .

The Bush Administration seeks to charge enrollment fees and boost co-payments for veterans. The Bush Administration has proposed adding a new $250 enrollment fee and increasing co-payments for outpatient care and pharmaceuticals for middle-income veterans. Democrats have opposed these charges, which would cost veterans $250 million in Fiscal Year 2004 and drive away thousands from the VA. In July 2003, Democrats in the House Appropriations Committee succeeded in removing the increases, but Republicans insisted that the current fees be maintained by reducing the VA administrative budget, rather than the President's tax cut for the wealthy. The Senate Appropriations Committee has also removed the increases, and Democrats have called on President Bush to withdraw this proposal.

Despite calls from Democrats to restore funding to the Veterans Health Administration, the Bush Administration continues its support for drastic cutbacks. The White House issued a Statement of Administration Policy on the day after Veterans' Day, reiterating its support for severe cutbacks: "the Administration also strongly opposes the omission of three key Administration proposals," namely, "the $250 annual enrollment fee, the proposed increase in pharmaceutical co-pays (from $7 to $15), and allowing VA to conduct competitive sourcing studies." Moreover, "the Administration also strongly objects to the $1.3 billion in contingent emergency funding provided by the bill for annual veteran's medical care funding."

The Bush Administration seeks to exclude "Priority 8" veterans from health care. In January 2003, the Bush Administration decided to cease new enrollments of "Priority 8" veterans, defined as those with no service-connected disability and an annual income, on average, no greater than $24,000. The President's budget would make this policy permanent. According to VA estimates, this decision will deny prescription drugs and other VA services to 522,000 veterans by the end of Fiscal Year 2005. The President's Task Force concluded that the "present uncertain access status and funding of Priority Group 8 veterans is unacceptable."

The Bush Administration proposes closing veterans hospitals. In August 2003, the Bush Administration identified 20 VA hospitals for closure under the Capital Asset Realignment for Enhanced Services ("CARES") initiative, which could ultimately result in the closure of thousands of long-term facilities across the country.

The Bush Administration refuses to provide veterans with timely access to prescription medications. For years, veterans have been frustrated by a rule that requires a veteran receiving a private prescription to see a VA physician before filling that prescription. Under this regulation, veterans are required to see two doctors to get one prescription filled. Not only is this policy fiscally irresponsible - the VA Inspector General estimates that the rule wastes $1 billion per year - it also creates a logjam on VA waiting lists. With veterans waiting as long as six months for an appointment with a VA doctor, many patients are denied access to their much-needed medications while they wait for their VA physical.

Here's some more stuff for the party that supports the troops better..

101A
08-03-2007, 11:12 AM
I believe the democrats are the one's who are behind increasing the funds for better care for the veterans when they return from iraq.

Spending other people's money doesn't count!

Spending tax money != Charity

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 11:58 AM
Spending other people's money doesn't count!

Spending tax money != Charity

-So you don't think people who are injured protecting our national interest deserve tax payer funded recovery? So let's assume that we don't provide tax funded healthcare for the veterans...where do they go to get rehab? medications?..

Jamtas#2
08-03-2007, 12:05 PM
-So you don't think people who are injured protecting our national interest deserve tax payer funded recovery? So let's assume that we don't provide tax funded healthcare for the veterans...where do they go to get rehab? medications?..

I think that comparing that to charity isn't the same thing.

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 12:06 PM
I think that comparing that to charity isn't the same thing.

I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

Jamtas#2
08-03-2007, 12:10 PM
I'm not sure what you are trying to say.

The question was posed how much have Moore, Clinton, Obama given to charity and the reply was that they are trying to pass legislation to fund vets. While admirable, that wasn't the question. How one plans to spend the American taxpayer's money isn't the same as giving your own money to charity.

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 12:12 PM
The question was posed how much have Moore, Clinton, Obama given to charity and the reply was that they are trying to pass legislation to fund vets. While admirable, that wasn't the question. How one plans to spend the American taxpayer's money isn't the same as giving your own money to charity.

Well is putting on a concert , for which the talent performs for free, the same thing as giving of one's own money?

Jamtas#2
08-03-2007, 12:23 PM
Well is putting on a concert , for which the talent performs for free, the same thing as giving of one's own money?

You mean is putting on a concert with proceeds going to a charity that people are supporting by buying their tickets knowing where it is going, more charitable than deciding to use American tax payer money?

Yes. (not to say I don't agree with using tax money to help fund veteran healthcare, I'm just saying that's not charity)

gtownspur
08-03-2007, 12:36 PM
"That amounts to a little more than $62,500 per year—about what it costs to send two children per year to a private institution"

if this isn't knit picking, then i don't know what else is.

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 12:37 PM
You mean is putting on a concert with proceeds going to a charity that people are supporting by buying their tickets knowing where it is going, more charitable than deciding to use American tax payer money?

Yes. (not to say I don't agree with using tax money to help fund veteran healthcare, I'm just saying that's not charity)

Ok. Cerrtainly the people who go to the concert are giving in the way you described. I was referring more the Whannity and the likes. Aggie Poops was making another talking-out-the-ass comment again and I was referring more to him and the folks he was referring to.

gtownspur
08-03-2007, 12:38 PM
I propose to take 30% of of Nbadan's and GGA's income and donate it to hobos.

See, i'm charitable.

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 12:39 PM
I propose to take 30% of of Nbadan's and GGA's income and donate it to hobos.

See, i'm charitable.

better than spending it on an unecessary war.

Jamtas#2
08-03-2007, 01:00 PM
Ok. Cerrtainly the people who go to the concert are giving in the way you described. I was referring more the Whannity and the likes. Aggie Poops was making another talking-out-the-ass comment again and I was referring more to him and the folks he was referring to.

Well, Dan made the post which seemingly bashed Hannity for his charity concert not donating enough money. If a report comes up showing that he is profiting more from this concert and donating less then I can see the point in calling him out. But I won't call out someone on either political side for putting together an event to raise money for a charity. I don't care if I don't like Hannity, I won't mock him for how much his concert has donated.

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 01:10 PM
Well, Dan made the post which seemingly bashed Hannity for his charity concert not donating enough money. If a report comes up showing that he is profiting more from this concert and donating less then I can see the point in calling him out. But I won't call out someone on either political side for putting together an event to raise money for a charity. I don't care if I don't like Hannity, I won't mock him for how much his concert has donated.

I think what Whannity is doing admirable thing althoug he also uses the platform for political bashing. As far as the proceeds they go to the families minus some minor expenses.

101A
08-03-2007, 01:36 PM
I think what Whannity is doing admirable thing althoug he also uses the platform for political bashing. As far as the proceeds they go to the families minus some minor expenses.

Sean Hannity bashes, it's his shtick (as documented in this thread, he gets paid A LOT of money to do it). What the hell else is he supposed to do at his "concert"? What do people who pay money to see him expect?

Again, what's your point?

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 01:56 PM
Sean Hannity bashes, it's his shtick (as documented in this thread, he gets paid A LOT of money to do it). What the hell else is he supposed to do at his "concert"? What do people who pay money to see him expect?

Again, what's your point?

Why is whannity having the concert? For the families who have paid the ultimate sacrifice. He takes it upon himself to degrade his political opponents all the while praising the military. I know what his deal is but in my opinion this event should be non partisan. He chooses his guests so he wants it to stay a benefit/ bash democrats event. He's an a**hole but I like this event.