PDA

View Full Version : Where Did The Record of The Vote Go

xrayzebra
08-03-2007, 10:36 AM
August 03, 2007
Read More: Bad behavior

House erupts in chaos

In a massive flare-up of partisan tensions (video link courtesy Breitbart.tv), Republicans walked out on a House vote late Thursday night to protest what they believed to be Democratic maneuvers to reverse an unfavorable outcome for them.

The flap represents a complete breakdown in parliamentary procedure and an unprecedented low for the sometimes bitterly divided chamber.

The rancor erupted shortly before 11 p.m. as Rep. Michael R. McNulty (D-N.Y.) gaveled close the vote on a standard procedural measure with the outcome still in doubt.

Details remain fuzzy, but numerous Republicans argued afterward that they had secured a 215-213 win on their motion to bar undocumented immigrants from receiving any federal funds apportioned in the agricultural spending bill for employment or rental assistance. Democrats, however, argued the measure was deadlocked at 214-214 and failed, members and aides on both sides of the aisle said afterward.

One GOP aide saw McNulty gavel the vote to a close after receiving a signal from his leaders – but before reading the official tally. And votes continued to shift even after he closed the roll call - a strange development in itself.

Whatever the final tally, acrimony quickly exploded between lawmakers on either side of the aisle as Democratic leaders tried to plot a solution, while parliamentarians on either side argued over protocol.

Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) eventually offered a motion to reconsider, according to floor staff on either side, ostensibly giving members a chance to recast their votes. But the maneuver sparked a chorus of angry protests from the Republicans, yelling “shame” on Democrats, while they returned fire with angry volleys of their own.

When Democrats finally moved to consider the spending bill as the last vote of the night, furious Republicans left the chamber en masse to protest the maneuver. The House eventually recessed at 11:18 p.m. But Republicans quickly discovered that there was no longer any record of the controversial vote and immediately charged Democrats with erasing the bad result.

“Obviously, the Democrats don’t want to stand up against illegal immigration – so much so that they’re willing to cheat in order to win a vote,” Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.) said in an e-mail. “They’re desperate – and it shows.”

The official House website did not show a record of the vote as of 1 a.m. Friday.

Cant We Just Get Along (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQJYiGFkDX4)

Republican Whip: Shame on House (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dgkV6gerTY)

fyatuk
08-03-2007, 11:05 AM
Oh many. Everything coming out of the House lately is just plain juvenile on both sides.

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 12:05 PM
August 03, 2007
Read More: Bad behavior

House erupts in chaos

In a massive flare-up of partisan tensions (video link courtesy Breitbart.tv), Republicans walked out on a House vote late Thursday night to protest what they believed to be Democratic maneuvers to reverse an unfavorable outcome for them.

The flap represents a complete breakdown in parliamentary procedure and an unprecedented low for the sometimes bitterly divided chamber.

The rancor erupted shortly before 11 p.m. as Rep. Michael R. McNulty (D-N.Y.) gaveled close the vote on a standard procedural measure with the outcome still in doubt.

Details remain fuzzy, but numerous Republicans argued afterward that they had secured a 215-213 win on their motion to bar undocumented immigrants from receiving any federal funds apportioned in the agricultural spending bill for employment or rental assistance. Democrats, however, argued the measure was deadlocked at 214-214 and failed, members and aides on both sides of the aisle said afterward.

One GOP aide saw McNulty gavel the vote to a close after receiving a signal from his leaders – but before reading the official tally. And votes continued to shift even after he closed the roll call - a strange development in itself.

Whatever the final tally, acrimony quickly exploded between lawmakers on either side of the aisle as Democratic leaders tried to plot a solution, while parliamentarians on either side argued over protocol.

Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) eventually offered a motion to reconsider, according to floor staff on either side, ostensibly giving members a chance to recast their votes. But the maneuver sparked a chorus of angry protests from the Republicans, yelling “shame” on Democrats, while they returned fire with angry volleys of their own.

When Democrats finally moved to consider the spending bill as the last vote of the night, furious Republicans left the chamber en masse to protest the maneuver. The House eventually recessed at 11:18 p.m. But Republicans quickly discovered that there was no longer any record of the controversial vote and immediately charged Democrats with erasing the bad result.

“Obviously, the Democrats don’t want to stand up against illegal immigration – so much so that they’re willing to cheat in order to win a vote,” Rep. Patrick McHenry (R-N.C.) said in an e-mail. “They’re desperate – and it shows.”

The official House website did not show a record of the vote as of 1 a.m. Friday.

Cant We Just Get Along (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KQJYiGFkDX4)

Republican Whip: Shame on House (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2dgkV6gerTY)

You know something ray you were never outraged when the GOP would hold votes oprn until 3 in the morning trying to get the votes pass a bill..or rather giving time for Tom Delay to blackmail his fellow GOP memebers to change their votes..amd you were silent.. amazing... I know since the dimm-craps are on control you want the House rules to be followed by the letter of the law...

boutons_
08-03-2007, 12:15 PM
depends on whose ox is getting gored, aka, double standard

xrayzebra
08-03-2007, 02:02 PM
Some double standard. The votes were cast and then they
disappeared.......now you call that a double standard. Come on
folks, just once try and be honest. I know that is a task, but
try.

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 02:06 PM
Some double standard. The votes were cast and then they
disappeared.......now you call that a double standard. Come on
folks, just once try and be honest. I know that is a task, but
try.

I'll make you a deal honest ray. I'll start being honest when you do... how's that?

xrayzebra
08-03-2007, 02:11 PM
I posted what happened. Now you want to dispute that? I
even gave you the links. Holding a vote open and closing a
vote is two different things. But again, I tried typing this
real slow so you could understand. And votes disappearing in
the Congress, how often does that happen?

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 02:16 PM
I posted what happened. Now you want to dispute that? I
even gave you the links. Holding a vote open and closing a
vote is two different things. But again, I tried typing this
real slow so you could understand. And votes disappearing in
the Congress, how often does that happen?

are you going to be intellectually honest from here on out? yes or no.

IF this stroy is true then yes it was wrong to erase the vote although I( am not sure how you can do that). So I'm again, are you going to be honest from here on out? Are you not going to critcize dimmocraps for doing the same things the GOP have in the past?
YES OR NO

xrayzebra
08-03-2007, 02:19 PM
NO! Twerp. The Republicans haven't done it in the past. Did you
even bother to read the post. I thought not. You want to
argue at least know what in the world you are arguing about.
Jeeeeesssssh. Having teenagers on this form gets trying sometime.
I wish you would at least learn, just a little bit.

xrayzebra
08-03-2007, 02:24 PM
Hmmmmm, now the dimm-o-craps going to where they can
count the "hanging" chad. Latest update from Drudge.

UPDATE: Dems resort to paper-ballot voting (c. 1938) as House electronic system undergoes mysterious 'engineering problems'...'The tally board is broken. Members can't see how colleagues voted or how much time is left,' says source... MORE...

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 02:25 PM
NO! Twerp. The Republicans haven't done it in the past. Did you
even bother to read the post. I thought not. You want to
argue at least know what in the world you are arguing about.
Jeeeeesssssh. Having teenagers on this form gets trying sometime.
I wish you would at least learn, just a little bit.

I am not just talking about this issue Ray (although I am pretty sure you klnow that). Let me clarify my statement AGAIN.. Are you going to stop criticizing Democrats for things that were done by Republicans in the past? I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THIS SPECIFIC ISSUE..

Either your stupid or just ignoring the question..YES OR NO.. I will make the same pledge to you..that going forward I will not criticize actions of the GOP if the dems had done the same things, as the minority party, in the past.

YES OR NO? VERY SIMPLE RAY

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 02:27 PM
Hmmmmm, now the dimm-o-craps going to where they can
count the "hanging" chad. Latest update from Drudge.

UPDATE: Dems resort to paper-ballot voting (c. 1938) as House electronic system undergoes mysterious 'engineering problems'...'The tally board is broken. Members can't see how colleagues voted or how much time is left,' says source... MORE...

Since you seem to be in the know about these computer problems let us in on your secret? What did the evil dems do to the computers?.. I'll wait for your answer..

boutons_
08-03-2007, 02:31 PM
With DeLay "hammering"/bullying Congress into submission, even his own party, for 10+ years with nasty tactics, no Repug supporter has any grounds to bitch about any Dem tricks.

xrayzebra
08-03-2007, 02:31 PM
I am not just talking about this issue Ray (although I am pretty sure you klnow that). Let me clarify my statement AGAIN.. Are you going to stop criticizing Democrats for things that were done by Republicans in the past? I'M NOT TALKING ABOUT THIS SPECIFIC ISSUE..

Either your stupid or just ignoring the question..YES OR NO.. I will make the same pledge to you..that going forward I will not criticize actions of the GOP if the dems had done the same things, as the minority party, in the past.

YES OR NO? VERY SIMPLE RAY

Well I am talking about this issue. And it has never
happened before..........read the damn post dummy.

xrayzebra
08-03-2007, 02:32 PM
With DeLay "hammering"/bullying Congress into submission, even his own party, for 10+ with nasty tactics, no Repug supporter has any grounds for anything tricks the Dems pull.

Once again boutons, you are showing how stupid you are.
Read the post.

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 02:34 PM
Well I am talking about this issue. And it has never
happened before..........read the damn post dummy.

I knew you wouldn't. You had the choice to be an honest person but you chose the other way. And you call me the dummy? At least I'm honest Ray which you can't say the same about yourself. I'd rather be a dummy than a liar any day of the week. What do you tell your kids when they ask you, why are you angry at the dems when the GOP did the same things?..What do you say? Go away you dummies..

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 02:36 PM
With DeLay "hammering"/bullying Congress into submission, even his own party, for 10+ with nasty tactics, no Repug supporter has any grounds for anything tricks the Dems pull.

ray isn't an honest person. he refused to acknowledge that the things he has accused Dems of throughout this year have been done by the gop in the past. he would rather be dishonest than a stand up guy..

xrayzebra
08-03-2007, 02:50 PM
^^^^^above two post..... :blah :blah :blah :madrun :madrun :lol :lol :lol :lol

And these are the folks that support the dimm-o-craps.

It is the party you support GGA, I cant help if you buy
their crap. Hook, line and sinker. You wont believe
they do anything wrong even when it is there in black and
white.

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 02:54 PM
^^^^^above two post..... :blah :blah :blah :madrun :madrun :lol :lol :lol :lol

And these are the folks that support the dimm-o-craps.

It is the party you support GGA, I cant help if you buy
their crap. Hook, line and sinker. You wont believe
they do anything wrong even when it is there in black and
white.

Ray I do not like what the Dems have done since they gained control. I do not like the fact that they continually try to bring up these ridiculous votes on ending the war in Iraq considering it's the chickenhawk in command who has the constitution in his corner. I believe the dems had the opprtunity to lead and they have failed. if they lose control of Congress they will only have themselves to blame. How's that for being honest ray? You? Your still denying that the games the dems are playing when in the majority weren't done by the GOP when they were in the majority..that's not intellectually honest but you already know that

xrayzebra
08-03-2007, 03:00 PM
What are you talking about, for goodness sake. The Republicans
never pulled crap like was pulled last night. Held a vote open,
yes. That is not uncommon by either party. Now, they say it
was a computer problem. But last I knew on a rollcall vote it
was recorded by the recorder in the house. I could be wrong on
that point. (being honest). Now I found this on Drudge:

August 03, 2007
Read More: Leadership

Busted computer hamstrings House

A busted computer system hamstrung the House of Representatives for at least 45 minutes Friday on one of the tensest legislative days of this year.

The Houses' electronic system malfunctioned at approximately 2pm as lawmakers began to vote on a procedural motion sponsored by Rep. Heather Wilson (R-N.M.). Projectors that usually display how each member voted and show a tally of votes were not working, although votes were still being recorded on computers at various locations in the House chamber.

The mishap came during the final two days of legislative activity before a month-long recess, a time when tensions run high as lawmakers consider a flurry of bills and spend long hours hashing out last-minute disagreements. Late last night the House chamber was thrown into turmoil when Rep. Mike McNulty (D-N.Y.) gaveled closed a vote before the tally of votes was clear. McNulty apologized to his colleagues this morning.

Lawmakers squabbled at length Friday afternoon over the broken computers. Rep. David Dreier (R-Calif.) questioned how lawmakers could vote if they were unable to see the usual tally of votes.

House Majority Leader Steny H. Hoyer (D-Md.) said he had consulted with a House technical expert who advised that the system be taken down for 30 minutes to fix the problem. He suggested vacating the vote and revoting once the system was fixed. Dreier and Rep. Pete Sessions (R-Texas) raised parliamentary questions to grill the majority leader, who had plenty to answer for.

Rep. Joe Barton (R-Texas) stepped in and suggested that lawmakers simply compare the vote tallies from the computers posted around the chamber and if they all agreed, finish the vote.

"We know that we're gonna get beat!" he exclaimed, clearly exasperated at the protracted debate.

At last, House Minority Leader John Boehner (R-Ohio) stepped in and agreed to vacate the vote while technicians powered down the system. The House now stands in recess. Phew!

==========

Now my question is the House recessed after 11PM, but the
computer malfunction started at 2pm......doesn't that seem
odd to anyone, except me?

Extra Stout
08-03-2007, 03:07 PM
The Republican leadership engaged in extraordinary vote manipulation when they were in charge, but that usually consisted of leaving votes open long enough to find a pressure point to get one of their own recalcitrant members to go along with the party line.

I'm not aware of their ever changing vote tallies after the gavel was struck to achieve the "desired" result, or of their Orwellian "erasing" of the record after the vote. The dismantling of parliamentary protocol grows increasingly alarming.

How long is it before we have a violent melee in there like some other countries have had?

Oh, BTW, the Democrats are demonstrating themselves to be every bit the corporate whores the Republicans have been. There is no representation of the interests of the people of the United States anymore, and we will have to decide exactly how deep in shit we want our country to fall before we do something about it.

Was King George as much a tyrant as the current corporate oligarchy?

George Gervin's Afro
08-03-2007, 03:10 PM
The Republican leadership engaged in extraordinary vote manipulation when they were in charge, but that usually consisted of leaving votes open long enough to find a pressure point to get one of their own recalcitrant members to go along with the party line.

I'm not aware of their ever changing vote tallies after the gavel was struck to achieve the "desired" result, or of their Orwellian "erasing" of the record after the vote. The dismantling of parliamentary protocol grows increasingly alarming.

How long is it before we have a violent melee in there like some other countries have had?

Oh, BTW, the Democrats are demonstrating themselves to be every bit the corporate whores the Republicans have been. There is no representation of the interests of the people of the United States anymore, and we will have to decide exactly how deep in shit we want our country to fall before we do something about it.

Was King George as much a tyrant as the current corporate oligarchy?

In all honesty I would rather have them duke it out on pay per view.

fyatuk
08-03-2007, 03:38 PM
In all honesty I would rather have them duke it out on pay per view.

There's a way for C-SPAN or something to make money!

Wild Cobra
08-03-2007, 03:52 PM
Oh many. Everything coming out of the House lately is just plain juvenile on both sides.
What can one do when such cheating is occuring from the demonrats?

I would not have maintained my cool. I would have used my fists! A walk-out was a good show of self restraint if you ask me.

smeagol
08-03-2007, 03:54 PM
The left defends the dems, the righ defends the Repubs.

ES is the only one making sense.

Jamtas#2
08-03-2007, 04:14 PM
Term limits, eliminate lobbyists/pork and let's get this country running again.