PDA

View Full Version : Hip and knee injuries might sideline Mourning

ducks
12-10-2004, 02:22 PM
Hip and knee injuries might sideline Mourning
By TOM CANAVAN, AP Sports Writer
December 9, 2004

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. (AP) -- Hip, knee, hand and leg problems might force New Jersey Nets center Alonzo Mourning to spend some time on the injured list because his body is ``breaking down.''

Mourning, who returned to action this season less than a year after receiving a kidney transplant, said the toll of not playing for almost two years might cause him to miss Friday's game against New Orleans.

``Right now my body is breaking down on me physically,'' Mourning said Thursday. ``The only way for me to get better is to rest it. My knee, my hip, my hand, all that stuff is kind of hampering me right now and keeping me from performing at a higher level.''

ADVERTISEMENT
Mourning said his condition has nothing to do with his kidney transplant, which was on his right side. He received a kidney from a cousin in December 2003.

He started the NBA season on the active roster, becoming the second pro athlete to return from a kidney transplant. Former San Antonio Spurs swingman Sean Elliott played 71 games over two seasons after undergoing a transplant in 1999.

Mourning has been hit with a number of injuries in 18 regular-season games. An aching right hip is making his leg weak. His right pinkie has torn tendons, and his right knee and right Achilles' tendon are sore.

``The only way to handle it right now is to rest it so it gets better,'' Mourning said. ``Otherwise, if I continue to go at this pace -- and obviously when they put me in the game there are expectations on me -- I won't be able to perform up to those expectations if these don't heal.''

The 34-year-old Mourning would not speculate about how much time he would need off.

``We have to really take things one day at a time, and if it means putting me on IR so another guy can have an opportunity to fill in, so be it,'' Mourning said. ``But I don't want to waste anybody's time. If we have another body on the bench that's fresher than me, I recommend they use him because I don't know how long this is going to take to heal up.''

Mourning is averaging 10.4 points and 7.1 rebounds in 25.4 minutes. He leads the team with 41 blocked shots.

ChumpDumper
12-10-2004, 04:45 PM
Told ya.