PDA

View Full Version : Usa Today Pre-Season Coaches Poll is out.

Vizzini
08-03-2007, 12:15 PM
and to no one's suprise, USC is justifiably ranked #1

USA Today Poll
1. USC (45) 0-0 1,481
2. LSU (4) 0-0 1,372
3. Florida (9) 0-0 1,278
4. Texas 0-0 1,231
5. Michigan (2) 0-0 1,218
6. West Virginia 0-0 1,205
7. Wisconsin 0-0 1,114
8. Oklahoma 0-0 1,026
9. Virginia Tech 0-0 1,005
10. Ohio State 0-0 919
11. Louisville 0-0 836
12. California 0-0 763
13. Georgia 0-0 604
14. Auburn 0-0 595
15. Tennessee 0-0 583
16. Rutgers 0-0 466
17. UCLA 0-0 454
18. Penn State 0-0 440
19. Nebraska 0-0 388
20. Arkansas 0-0 360
21. Florida State 0-0 301
22. TCU 0-0 233
23. Boise State 0-0 222
24. Hawaii 0-0 214
25. Texas A&M 0-0 209
Others Recieving Votes
Boston College 150, Georgia Tech 150, Miami (FL) 91, Notre Dame 90, South Carolina 90, Wake Forest 71, Missouri 58, Oregon State 52, Brigham Young 47, Clemson 30, Oregon 30, South Florida 26, Texas Tech 20, Alabama 16, Oklahoma State 15, Southern Miss 14, Iowa 12, Kansas State 8, Memphis 5, Houston 4, Arizona 1, Duke 1, Kentucky 1, Washington State 1.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/rankingsindex

How in the hell does Duke get a vote? I may be missing something, but they are no where near a top 50 team, who is the jackass that put them on his ballot?

SanAntonioBuckeye
08-03-2007, 03:39 PM
The Old Ball Coach always votes for Duke...

Marklar MM
08-03-2007, 03:40 PM
Spurrier always votes for Duke.

RonMexico
08-04-2007, 01:16 AM
I'm slightly surprised that Arizona State didn't even get a vote... even though they're continually ranked in the top 25 every year and then end up losing to UCLA, USC, and Cal to drop out. They have a new coach in Dennis Erickson and pretty much the same team as last year, so I'm curious as to why they didn't grab any attention... although I really don't mind because I think rankings actually go to their heads too much... in other news, Fran can enjoy his only foray into the top 25 this year...

misterx91578
08-04-2007, 11:41 PM
I'm slightly surprised that Arizona State didn't even get a vote... even though they're continually ranked in the top 25 every year and then end up losing to UCLA, USC, and Cal to drop out. They have a new coach in Dennis Erickson and pretty much the same team as last year, so I'm curious as to why they didn't grab any attention... although I really don't mind because I think rankings actually go to their heads too much... in other news, Fran can enjoy his only foray into the top 25 this year...

the last few year arizona state being ranked preseason really worked out for them :lol

johngateswhiteley
08-06-2007, 09:26 PM
t.u. is nowhere near the #4 team in the country, give me a break...more like #10. just like last year the whorns are rated too high to start the season.

SC #1 is good, and A&M at #25 is too low....i see the Aggs around #20.

RonMexico
08-06-2007, 11:35 PM
the last few year arizona state being ranked preseason really worked out for them :lol

I pretty much said that in my post. I don't care about them being ranked... I'm just surprised they didn't get even a single vote.

Holmes_Fans
08-07-2007, 10:40 AM
t.u. is nowhere near the #4 team in the country, give me a break...more like #10. just like last year the whorns are rated too high to start the season.

SC #1 is good, and A&M at #25 is too low....i see the Aggs around #20.
Yet they were still on their way to another BCS bowl and possible national championship until Colt got hurt. At full strength(not even) they were top 5 until the main key broke broke unlocking the big 12 championship.

Brutalis
08-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Colt McCoy is such a weirdo name. Like, why name a kid Colt? I wonder if people call him horse, or jackass. What a hick name.

Anyways with him on your team I don't think their ranking is too high. They might have the best O in the nation. And we all know in football, it don't matter how good your D is, if your O is that damn good... well.. you're gunna score more points and win.

johngateswhiteley
08-08-2007, 06:23 PM
Yet they were still on their way to another BCS bowl and possible national championship until Colt got hurt. At full strength(not even) they were top 5 until the main key broke broke unlocking the big 12 championship.

you're delusional. t.u., at best, was a top 10 team last year...same this year. in fact, you'll be delighted to know t.u. is losing 3 games this year, excluding their bowl game. losses to OU, A&M, and one of tekk, osu, nebraska, and TCU.

Beaverfuzz
08-08-2007, 10:57 PM

ASU is still in work in progress for St. Dennis. The next two years are when he'll either ramp it up or hit cruise control.

Flo-Rida
08-08-2007, 11:11 PM
Miami will be back

DNS Error
08-08-2007, 11:55 PM
^^^^ with a no name D!

NoMoneyDown
08-10-2007, 03:23 PM
While I have roots at both schools, WVU > Texas this year.

K-State Spur
08-10-2007, 04:14 PM
Preseason polls are a joke. And for some inexplicable reason - they do play a role in determining our national champion (anybody who starts the season unranked has a lot of teams to leapfrog over the course of the year).

StylisticS
08-10-2007, 08:19 PM
you're delusional. t.u., at best, was a top 10 team last year...same this year. in fact, you'll be delighted to know t.u. is losing 3 games this year, excluding their bowl game. losses to OU, A&M, and one of tekk, osu, nebraska, and TCU.
The irony of an aggie fan calling anyone else delusional.

Well I"LL be delighted to tell you that even with those so called 3 losses in conference, we'll still have a better chance of going to the big 12 championship game than you scrubs and we won't lose in DKR-East. The Texas-A&M series is just like OU-OSU and for the first time ever, I have sympathy for what OU went through when they lost 2 in a row against their little brother (I don't hate nor dislike OSU btw).

StylisticS
08-10-2007, 08:20 PM
While I have roots at both schools, WVU > Texas this year.

Texas has a better defense and a better balanced offense. Will give credit for WVU having the better running game but that's about it. Otherwise, Texas is the better team.

NoMoneyDown
08-13-2007, 11:47 AM
Texas has a better defense

Agreed.

and a better balanced offense.

Disagree. WVU has two Heisman players on offense, and it's not like people haven't known about them before (i.e., tried to stop them).

Will give credit for WVU having the better running game but that's about it.

Evidentally, you don't know that Pat White is a double threat runner AND thrower.

Holmes_Fans
08-13-2007, 07:12 PM
Texas has a better defense

Evidentally, you don't know that Pat White is a double threat runner AND thrower.
No he is just a runner. 13 TD and 7 Interceptions. He is in a good system with decent players around him in a weak conference.

Texas was a top 5 team last year even with getting hit with the worst of injury bugs. I guess you are one of those delusional aggies who thinks you beat Texas 35-7, and not 12-7 and also thinks you would of won if Colt wasn't playing injured and had not been cheap shotted

Of those teams the only ones team I am scared of losing to is a&m. We all know that game makes or breaks their season, so a&m will play their best game of the year again and stuggle to try and win against a beaten up Texas team.

You will be delighted to know that a&m will lose to Miami, Tech, Nebraska, OU, Texas and Missouri. With a possible Fresno State upset in there.

dallaskd
08-13-2007, 08:15 PM
Once again K-State is ripped

Holmes_Fans
08-13-2007, 08:48 PM
Once again K-State is ripped
Maybe if they didn't have a QB who cares so much about winning he showed up to practice after gaining 30 pounds and couldn't pass a fitness test.

K-State Spur
08-14-2007, 12:18 AM
actually, it was about 20 lbs, and if you see a pic of him, it ain't fat.

as for his PUP test, he missed it by 3 seconds on the first try, and he's a 250 lb pocket QB held to the same standard as WRs, RBs, and DBs. The rest of the Big 12 should be more worried that he was able to pass the test on the second try as opposed to being happy that he missed it on the first.

and every school has that test (or something like it), and every school has high profile players miss it. KSU is just one of the few (actually the only one that I am aware of) that make their results public.

all that said...

The Cats have done nothing to warrant much media cred at this point. Beat Auburn and then we can talk.

StylisticS
08-14-2007, 11:29 AM
Disagree. WVU has two Heisman players on offense, and it's not like people haven't known about them before (i.e., tried to stop them).
Texas has the better passing game. This should not even be a discussion. The Longhorns have better receivers and better tight ends, period.

As mentioned above. He is not that great of a thrower and he doesn't throw that much to begin with. The system is based on running the football. Which is what they do best.

BeerIsGood!
08-14-2007, 12:53 PM
With the threat of the QB to run WVU has the better running game, although I really don't know who has the better O-Line. Ours is young, but should be solid. Texas definitely has the better passing game, it's not even a question. White has a strong arm, but doesn't have half the accuracy or QB pedigree and instincts of McCoy. He does his damage with the threat of running. That said, both very good teams and both should be in contention this season.

NoMoneyDown
08-14-2007, 01:22 PM
No he is just a runner. 13 TD and 7 Interceptions. He is in a good system with decent players around him in a weak conference.

At least your bias is showing now. FYI ... Last year, the Big East went 5-0 in the bowls. Not to mention the year before, WVU beat the SEC's #1 team (Georgia) IN THEIR OWN BACKYARD (Atlanta) in the Sugar Bowl. Also, had White thrown one more pass, he would have qualified for the NCAA statisitc and been in the top-10 in QB efficiency rating this past year. Lastly, many preseason Heisman pundits have Slaton, White, and Brohm (QB, Louisville) in their TOP-5. Add Ray Rice (RB, Rutgers), and the Big East has FOUR players in the many preseason Top-10 lists. Texas? Texas A&M? Any Big-12 school? {crickets}

samikeyp
08-14-2007, 02:06 PM
I do think that McCoy is a better passer but Pat White is a better athlete. I think, however, he and Slaton will pull votes away from each other.

McFadden goes into the season as the favorite, IMO, but Rice, Slaton, White and Brohm will be in the mix.

BeerIsGood!
08-14-2007, 02:43 PM
The Heisman is pretty much crap... it doesn't mean a damn thing. Remember that USC team with 2 Heisman winners and several other candidates? They got single handedly smoked by a so called runner-up. Using Heisman talk to validate your point makes your point meaningless.

StylisticS
08-16-2007, 03:21 PM

At least your bias is showing now. FYI ... Last year, the Big East went 5-0 in the bowls. Not to mention the year before, WVU beat the SEC's #1 team
Until the New Big East wins a bcs championship game against a top tier team from the rest of the bcs conferences and schedule better teams out of conference, nobody will care about the big east. The teams you beat in the bowl games last season does not impress anyone. It took Miami, VA Tech, and BC to leave the conference for WVU and Louisville to actually become relevant. You beating Wake Forest and East Popcorn State university in the whogivesashit.com bowl will not make anyone care about you, period.

NoMoneyDown
08-16-2007, 03:40 PM
It took Miami, VA Tech, and BC to leave the conference for WVU and Louisville to actually become relevant.

It did? BTW, how well did Miami beat Louisville last year?

You beating Wake Forest and East Popcorn State university in the whogivesashit.com bowl will not make anyone care about you, period.

LOL! You mean like Louisville going to KSU and spanking them, whilst the Longhorns make the same trek only to come away empty-handed? Keep up the bias, and the Big East will be right there again this year, while your faves will be the ones in the whogivesasshit.com Bowl AGAIN - (that's IF they even go to one).

NoMoneyDown
08-16-2007, 03:41 PM
The Heisman is pretty much crap... it doesn't mean a damn thing. Remember that USC team with 2 Heisman winners and several other candidates? They got single handedly smoked by a so called runner-up. Using Heisman talk to validate your point makes your point meaningless.

Yeah, Vince Young's appearance in the Heisman race that year was indeed crap then I take it?

BeerIsGood!
08-16-2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah, Vince Young's appearance in the Heisman race that year was indeed crap then I take it?

Jason White, Eric Crouch, Ron Dayne, Danny Wuerffel, Rashaan Salaam, Charlie Ward, Gino Torretta, Ty Detmer, Andre Ware, etc...

Really great players there dickhead.

It's a popularity contest and nothing more. It doesn't mean shit, isn't a championship, isn't worth a damn. It's a bunch of fat, old, white men having a circle jerk to see which player they like the most. It's fucking retarded.

NoMoneyDown
08-21-2007, 12:03 PM
AP Poll

1. USC (62)
2. LSU (2)
3. WEST VIRGINIA (1)
4. Texas

I know, I know, the AP poll is crap.

Listen, I don't think either school will be in the big dance come January, but THIS year: WVU > Texas.

BTW, Texas should have tried to land Rodriguez. Mack Brown gets blue-chippers every year yet has only ONE NC to show for it. Rodriguez, OTOH, doesn't have the same luxary, but does a helluva lot better with the personnel he does get.

Holmes_Fans
08-21-2007, 04:01 PM
AP Poll

1. USC (62)
2. LSU (2)
3. WEST VIRGINIA (1)
4. Texas

I know, I know, the AP poll is crap.

Listen, I don't think either school will be in the big dance come January, but THIS year: WVU > Texas.

BTW, Texas should have tried to land Rodriguez. Mack Brown gets blue-chippers every year yet has only ONE NC to show for it. Rodriguez, OTOH, doesn't have the same luxary, but does a helluva lot better with the personnel he does get.
And he has fielded average teams. They will again lose 2 or 3 games, mainly because the QB is a pure runner. Reggie McNeal would of been up for heisman if he was in that system to.

NoMoneyDown
08-21-2007, 04:59 PM
And he has fielded average teams. They will again lose 2 or 3 games, mainly because the QB is a pure runner. Reggie McNeal would of been up for heisman if he was in that system to.

Average teams? Losing 2-3 games is average? Beating the SEC's best is average? Well heck, I guess Texas and TAMU can be called average, too, then.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-21-2007, 05:32 PM
I would bet my soul if texas ended up in a bowl game against WVU
all of those yankee teams are so horribly horribly overrated

O-Factor
08-22-2007, 01:11 AM
you'll be delighted to know t.u. is losing 3 games this year, excluding their bowl game. losses to OU, A&M, and one of tekk, osu, nebraska, and TCU.

Thats the stupidest thing I've read all week, if not month.

NoMoneyDown
08-22-2007, 10:02 AM
I would bet my soul if texas ended up in a bowl game against WVU
all of those yankee teams are so horribly horribly overrated

Now we're talking. I wanted nothing more last year, since I have roots in both schools, but both teams faltered towards the end of the season. Texas losing to KSU and TAMU, while WVU lost to USF.

Don't worry ... We hear that every year (Big East sucks, is overrated, doesn't play anyone) ... And every year they end up disproving the critics again, only to have it all repeated again the following year.

Ballcox
08-22-2007, 11:46 AM
Thats the stupidest thing I've read all week, if not month.

If you haven't realized by now, jgw has the college football market cornered when it comes to stupid. Hell, a&m could be playing the Patriots this season and he would favor a&m. His lack of objectivity with 'his' teams is amazing at times.

Plus, keep in mind he's a homer/bandwaggon fan as well with a&m and usc.

Holmes_Fans
08-22-2007, 03:26 PM
Now we're talking. I wanted nothing more last year, since I have roots in both schools, but both teams faltered towards the end of the season. Texas losing to KSU and TAMU, while WVU lost to USF.

Don't worry ... We hear that every year (Big East sucks, is overrated, doesn't play anyone) ... And every year they end up disproving the critics again, only to have it all repeated again the following year.
The difference though was WVU had their 2 best players in the game they lost. Texas didn't have Colt McCoy against KSU and he was %10 against A&M.

NoMoneyDown
08-22-2007, 04:17 PM
The difference though was WVU had their 2 best players in the game they lost. Texas didn't have Colt McCoy against KSU and he was %10 against A&M.

WVU had a mental lapse in the game vs. USF. The Bulls' defense was underrated, but the Mountaineers still should have won the game easily. No excuses for that loss.

Yes, Colt was out, but how do you explain KSU mounting 45pts vs. the heralded Texas "D" and the Longhorns only mustering 7pts vs. TAMU at home. Even w/o Colt they should have rocked-n-rolled at home vs. TAMU - at least, with the personnel they had and how much everyone here trumpets their heralded "O".

Vito Corleone
08-22-2007, 04:51 PM

Another aggsy with the memory of Dorie from Finding Nemo. I love listening to you freaks talk about what the farmers are going to do in August and then listen to you cry about why you didn't in december. It's better than anything on TV.

Your team is not very good, I would put you some where between Baylor and Tech in the pecking order. A good running game is easy to stop when you have no passing game, and you don't have a passing game. Your defense is marginal at best, I could careless about what you have returning, Sans a lucky win in Austin you were a crappy team that embarrassed the conference in San Diego. For you to think you are better than Texas is laughable; which is why we are always laughing at you freaks.

Vito Corleone
08-22-2007, 05:17 PM
Jason White, Eric Crouch, Ron Dayne, Danny Wuerffel, Rashaan Salaam, Charlie Ward, Gino Torretta, Ty Detmer, Andre Ware, etc...

Really great players there dickhead.

It's a popularity contest and nothing more. It doesn't mean shit, isn't a championship, isn't worth a damn. It's a bunch of fat, old, white men having a circle jerk to see which player they like the most. It's fucking retarded.

The award goes to the best player on the best team who had the best year, when you have 114 teams to choose from yes your going to have to be a popularity contest but it is still legit. Every one of those guys above deserved the award because of the year they had. This award has nothing to do with what a guy does or is capable of doing in the NFL, hell the NFL is hardly even the same game as College football. Every year there is more than one guy that deserves the award but a choice must be made.

Vito Corleone
08-22-2007, 05:19 PM
Average teams? Losing 2-3 games is average? Beating the SEC's best is average? Well heck, I guess Texas and TAMU can be called average, too, then.

TAMU wishes they could achieve average.

BeerIsGood!
08-22-2007, 10:38 PM
The award goes to the best player on the best team who had the best year, when you have 114 teams to choose from yes your going to have to be a popularity contest but it is still legit. Every one of those guys above deserved the award because of the year they had. This award has nothing to do with what a guy does or is capable of doing in the NFL, hell the NFL is hardly even the same game as College football. Every year there is more than one guy that deserves the award but a choice must be made.

I go back to my original point... who fucking cares

If you want to hail the player that a bunch of fat fucks who mostly know jack and shit about football pick as their top dog, then more power to ya.

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 03:28 AM
Another aggsy with the memory of Dorie from Finding Nemo. I love listening to you freaks talk about what the farmers are going to do in August and then listen to you cry about why you didn't in december. It's better than anything on TV.

Your team is not very good, I would put you some where between Baylor and Tech in the pecking order. A good running game is easy to stop when you have no passing game, and you don't have a passing game. Your defense is marginal at best, I could careless about what you have returning, Sans a lucky win in Austin you were a crappy team that embarrassed the conference in San Diego. For you to think you are better than Texas is laughable; which is why we are always laughing at you freaks.

the intellect, or lack there of, amazes me on this board. a running game is easy to stop when you don't have a passing game? A&M ran all over almost every opponent last year...and they didn't have much of a passing game. this year their passing game should be better, what does that say?

...the games in College Station, you can't stop our running game, our team is better than last years, and i don't think your team is as good. that doesn't spell success my brew. why don't you go ahead and make sense next time....

BeerIsGood!
08-23-2007, 03:40 AM
our team is better than last years, and i don't think your team is as good.

Well thankfully what you think isn't factored into the BCS equation, and doesn't hold any pull on the field. For the record, I think your team absolutely sucks.

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 03:46 AM
Well thankfully what you think isn't factored into the BCS equation, and doesn't hold any pull on the field. For the record, I think your team absolutely sucks.

thats great, it won't say much about your team when we rule you at Kyle Field, but whatever.

t.u. has a/an:
1. poor running game
2. inexperienced o-line
3. defense not as good as last years

...thats not good, when almost every analyst feels this is Fran's best team yet. say what you will, but you can't deny the talent A&M has on offense and that their o-line is near tops in the nation. not to mention their defense should be better than last years.

enjoy your fantasy world.

BeerIsGood!
08-23-2007, 04:52 AM
thats great, it won't say much about your team when we rule you at Kyle Field, but whatever.

t.u. has a/an:
1. poor running game
2. inexperienced o-line
3. defense not as good as last years

...thats not good, when almost every analyst feels this is Fran's best team yet. say what you will, but you can't deny the talent A&M has on offense and that their o-line is near tops in the nation. not to mention their defense should be better than last years.

enjoy your fantasy world.

Running game seems fine to me - returning explosive, quick runner Charles and add newcomer and highly touted redshirt freshman Vondrell McGee.

OLine returns both tackles, one injured last year, and plug in 3 highly touted and recruited interior linemen - all with game experience.

Defense is weakest at LB, but secondary should be strong after a couple of games and DL features possibly the best tackle tandem in the country.

McCoy is back to 100% and has possibly the best and deepest recieving core in the country, and a beast of a pass catching TE.

I don't see what's not to like. A hell of a lot more talent than AM could ever hope to field, and if UT goes into the game healthy, unlike last year, it should be a double digit victory.

BeerIsGood!
08-23-2007, 04:54 AM
I've yet to see your QB throw for shit. Have they taught him how to properly grip a football?

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 04:59 AM
I've yet to see your QB throw for shit. Have they taught him how to properly grip a football?

McGee's armed was injured last year...he's, apparently, fine now. i think you are a little too optimistic on t.u.'s o-line, RBs, and secondary...but thats fine.

...lets make a wager on the game since you are so confident.

BeerIsGood!
08-23-2007, 05:03 AM
McGee's armed was injured last year...he's, apparently, fine now. i think you are a little too optimistic on t.u.'s o-line, RBs, and secondary...but thats fine.

I'm game, but since I don't know you not sure how payment would take place. I'm a man of my word, hopefully you're the same.

What's your favorite liquor? Wager a bottle?

johngateswhiteley
08-23-2007, 05:11 AM
... but since I don't know you not sure how payment would take place. I'm a man of my word, hopefully you're the same.

are you serious? interesting comment.

Vito Corleone
08-23-2007, 03:42 PM

We return 3 starters on the oline. Hills, Ultakowski, and Dockery we have two others that got significant playing time last year that will be taking over the center and left guard spot. For starters we will be fine, our only weakness on the oline is their backups are not very experienced, that will be remedied by the time you face us.

As for our running game, the problems we had tere are more due to the offense we ran more than the talent back there. We have talent, and lots of it but we need to use it better. I look for us to run a similar offense we ran when Simms was here with Hodges Mitchell. I'm looking forward to you agroids meeting Chris O, he will introduce you to a real power back.

I'm not sure why you worry about our secondary, you can't pass anyway so even if our secondary sucks it is still good enough to shut down the pass against you freaks.

B and P Cats
08-24-2007, 04:15 AM
The Old Ball Coach always votes for Duke...

Is that where Duke got it's vote; The Old Ball Coach. I'm not sure what football team they are talking about at Duke, but okay. Basketball everyone knows about, but Duke's football team? :lol I live in NC and I never hear about Duke's football team.

Wake Forest did pretty well for a change last year and actually got to a Bowl game. It was a BIG deal around here!

We're just pretty much known for our basketball - especially college. But, then you Spurs fans know about that!

RonMexico
10-28-2007, 07:50 PM

I just wanted to bump my brilliance again to prove why I should get a chance to vote in the polls... and probably personally determine the national champion.

johngateswhiteley
12-28-2007, 08:02 PM
We return 3 starters on the oline. Hills, Ultakowski, and Dockery we have two others that got significant playing time last year that will be taking over the center and left guard spot. For starters we will be fine, our only weakness on the oline is their backups are not very experienced, that will be remedied by the time you face us.

As for our running game, the problems we had tere are more due to the offense we ran more than the talent back there. We have talent, and lots of it but we need to use it better. I look for us to run a similar offense we ran when Simms was here with Hodges Mitchell. I'm looking forward to you agroids meeting Chris O, he will introduce you to a real power back.

I'm not sure why you worry about our secondary, you can't pass anyway so even if our secondary sucks it is still good enough to shut down the pass against you freaks.

hmm...interesting.

McGee: 362 yards passing
A&M: 533 total yards
TOP: A&M 40:06 t.u. 19:54

...38-30.

johngateswhiteley
12-28-2007, 08:04 PM

yep, 362 yards.