PDA

View Full Version : Navarro To Memphis

Spurs Brazil
08-03-2007, 06:12 PM
Navarro To Memphis
August 3, 2007 - 5:24 pm
El Mundo -
According to El Mundo, Juan Carlos Navarro will join the Memphis Grizzlies this season. [READ]

http://www.realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/47468/20070803/navarro_to_memphis/

Solid D
08-03-2007, 06:16 PM
Another Divisional foe just got better.

Darko Milicic
Pau Gasol
Rudy Gay
JC Navarro
Mike Conley Jr.
Mike Miller
Damon Stoudamire
Hakim Warrick
Stromile Swift
Casey Jacobsen

Not a bad rotation of 10

Spurs Brazil
08-03-2007, 06:17 PM
No more Udoka to Memphis

El_Mago
08-03-2007, 06:51 PM
Finally, some moves can begin to take effect.

Now, someone please sign Pietrus, so then Posey can land somewhere, and Udoka can come here.

Streakyshooter08
08-03-2007, 06:55 PM
Finally, some moves can begin to take effect.

Now, someone please sign Pietrus, so then Posey can land somewhere, and Udoka can come here.

I agree. I hope now with some signings happening the Spurs will finally sign Udoka. But then again... it was reported at hoopsworld... so its unlikely. :spin

With Barnes probably out in GS I hope they make a run at him. I would prefer him to Udoka, but for a reasonable contract. It is also very unlikely to happen but who knows, there is still a possibility that Brent/Beno get tradet.

T Park
08-03-2007, 07:12 PM
I'd Sign and trade Barry for Barnes.

Sign Udoka.

Sign Aaron Miles.

Get ready for training camp.

Ginobilly
08-03-2007, 08:31 PM
memphis got "La Bomba"? Some scouts have described him as "Ginobili" type player but in 6'3 body. I wouldn't mind having another ginobili on the team. I like his nickname "the Bomb". I think he got that name for his knack to hit deep 3 pointers in crunch time.

Spurs Brazil
08-03-2007, 08:50 PM
Trade for Navarro may help stabilize Gasol's Memphis future
By Marc Stein
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: August 3, 2007, 9:09 PM ET
Comment
Email
Print
Don't expect to hear too much Pau Gasol trade speculation in coming months, after such chatter was a staple last season.

The Memphis Grizzlies on Friday reached a verbal agreement with the Washington Wizards to obtain the rights to Spanish guard Juan Carlos Navarro, reinforcing the notion that the Grizz have no intention of parting with Gasol.

The Grizzlies and Wizards, according to NBA front-office sources, have an agreement in principle that would send a future first-round pick -- likely a 2008 first-rounder -- to Washington in exchange for Navarro, who is considered one of Europe's top guards and, of greater importance to Memphis, one of Gasol's best friends.

Specifics about the draft pick and the lottery protection involved are still being finalized, sources said, but the Grizzlies are now exclusively negotiating a buyout of Navarro's contract with European club power FC Barcelona and operating as if he's their player.

According to a deadline established by Barcelona officials, Navarro had to be traded by the Wizards by Friday if he wanted to be in the NBA next season. This trade in principle appears to have satisfied the Spanish club, which originally set a deadline of July 25 and then extended it.

No buyout has been completed and it's believed that the 27-year-old will have to pay his Spanish employers nearly $2.5 million for his freedom, since league rules preclude Memphis from contributing more than $500,000 to the buyout equation. Yet all signs point to those arrangements materializing by next week, even though Memphis is likely limited to signing Navarro to a short-term, low-dollar deal after bestowing a three-year, $21 million deal on free-agent center Darko Milicic.

The strongest signal that Navarro will soon be a member of the Grizzles appears on Barcelona's own club Web site, which carries an announcement that the parties will be working over the next few days to finalize the player's release.

Gasol's growing frustration with Memphis' long-term outlook and the Grizzlies' willingness to move the 7-footer were well-chronicled before and after last February's trade deadline. A series of moves since the end of a 22-60 season, however, appears to have brightened that outlook in spite of team president Jerry West's recent resignation.

Although the Grizzlies didn't land a top-two pick as they hoped, they came out of the draft with Ohio State point guard Mike Conley. They also hired on-the-rise Phoenix assistant Marc Iavaroni as their new head coach and landed Milicic as Gasol's new frontcourt sidekick.

The progress made by new general manager Chris Wallace in signing Navarro, though, will undoubtedly please Gasol most.

The Wizards, meanwhile, will be getting a future first-round pick for a player that they realistically couldn't bring to the NBA next season, given Washington's salary-cap limitations and lack of roster room. Navarro was a second-round pick in the 2002 draft, selected No. 40 overall by the Wizards during the period after Michael Jordan relinquished his front-office duties to make one last comeback and before current Wiz president Ernie Grunfeld began running the team.

Marc Stein is the senior NBA writer for ESPN.com. To e-mail him, click here.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2960667

timvp
08-03-2007, 09:06 PM
The Grizzlies and Wizards, according to NBA front-office sources, have an agreement in principle that would send a future first-round pick -- likely a 2008 first-rounder -- to Washington in exchange for NavarroSo you are telling me that the Spurs couldn't have gotten more for Scola when the Wizards got a first round draft pick from the Memphis Grizzles for a 6-foot-3 gunner who is the same age as Scola?

:pctoss

Ginobilly
08-03-2007, 09:16 PM
So you are telling me that the Spurs couldn't have gotten more for Scola when the Wizards got a first round draft pick from the Memphis Grizzles for a 6-foot-3 gunner who is the same age as Scola?

Maybe Holt Relapsed and is drinking again? It sucks that the spurs got Raped by Houston on that Deal. I think they could of mustered out a better deal and with another team.

Ginobilly
08-03-2007, 09:21 PM
It sucks that we didn't add any new younger players this off season while a lot of teams got better. Will this come back to haunt the Spurs in the Playoffs in 08?

ducks
08-03-2007, 10:55 PM
So you are telling me that the Spurs couldn't have gotten more for Scola when the Wizards got a first round draft pick from the Memphis Grizzles for a 6-foot-3 gunner who is the same age as Scola?

blame ferry

Buddy Holly
08-03-2007, 11:19 PM
Dave Navarro plays basketball?

koopa
08-04-2007, 05:21 AM

that's because no one is threatened by the shit ass grizzlies........ no one wants to help the nba champions get better down the road, that would be retarded, that's why you can't compare what others get to what we get cause no one is gonna try to help us........ so the spurs will more often then not get fucked in the ass when it comes to trading

Bruno
08-04-2007, 06:10 AM
Rockets will spend between $12.2M and $15.2M to see what Scola can do in nba.
It seems that Grizzlies will spend $1.6M to see what Navarro can do in nba.

No need to be a genius to understand why Wizards could get a first round pick for Navarro and Spurs couldn't get one for Scola.

stéphane
08-04-2007, 07:09 AM
Rockets will spend between $12.2M and $15.2M to see what Scola can do in nba.
It seems that Grizzlies will spend $1.6M to see what Navarro can do in nba.

No need to be a genius to understand why Wizards could get a first round pick for Navarro and Spurs couldn't get one for Scola.
Easy to understand indeed...
Oh and btw Bruno, I read somewhere else a couple posts from you "bashing" Narravo... Do you dislike his play or just think he can't succeed in the NBA because he's undersized a bit? I'm maybe a bit biased because everytime I've seen him play he shined but I always thought he was very skilled...

Bruno
08-04-2007, 07:41 AM
Do you dislike his play or just think he can't succeed in the NBA because he's undersized a bit?

Both.
I don't like his play, I find that he is a chucker. I think too that his game won't translate well in nba. I'm even more pessimistic about Navarro's future in nba than Scola's one.