PDA

View Full Version : Marty Burns: Western Conference rankings

Spurs Brazil
08-03-2007, 06:29 PM
Western Conference rankings
Also-rans making most of the noise in the offseason
Posted: Friday August 3, 2007 2:19PM; Updated: Friday August 3, 2007 4:10PM

It's still early, but the Western Conference has been mostly quiet this summer as several teams wait for mid-tier free agents to make up their minds.

Among the top contenders, only the Rockets have been particularly active. Otherwise the biggest shakeups have occurred at the bottom of the standings, where Minnesota, Portland and Seattle have radically altered their lineups.

Here's one man's view of the West race, as of right now, with the caveat that there are more moves (albeit relatively minor ones) in the pipeline for several teams:

1. SPURS: They haven't added much new blood this offseason, instead re-signing Fabricio Oberto, Jacque Vaughn and Matt Bonner. Then again, the defending champs don't need to make major changes. As long as Tony Parker doesn't decide to run off somewhere with his new bride Eva, they should be just fine.

2. MAVS: They also haven't shaken things up after winning a league-best 67 games a year ago. They re-signed Jerry Stackhouse and Devean George, and will hope the bitter finishes of the past two postseasons can give them the edge they need to get over the top.

3. SUNS: After dangling Shawn Marion and Amaré Stoudemire in an effort to land Garnett, they ultimately are left with the core intact while adding Grant Hill via free agency. Of course, keeping this team together might prove to be a good idea. Steve Nash probably has at least one more MVP-type campaign left in those 33-year-old legs.

4. JAZZ: Coming off that terrific run to the conference finals, they didn't want to do anything to break the mojo. It's still possible they could look to deal Andrei Kirilenko, especially after losing out on free agent Morris Peterson (who signed with the Hornets), but most likely they will keep it together and hope another Morris (Almond) can fill their need for outside shooting.

5. ROCKETS: New GM Daryl Morey has added solid pieces in veterans Steve Francis and Mike James and Argentine power forward Luis Scola, who was acquired in a trade with the Spurs. If Bonzi Wells doesn't go AWOL again, new coach Rick Adelman should have some more depth to go with Tracy McGrady and Yao Ming.

6. NUGGETS: They made their splash last winter by acquiring Allen Iverson from the Sixers. Their only significant move this summer has been to sign point guard Chucky Atkins, who replaces the departed Steve Blake. With Iverson, Carmelo Anthony, Marcus Camby, Nenê and a healthy Kenyon Martin, it should be enough to keep them in the Western mix.

7. WARRIORS: It's tempting to rate them higher after the way they tore through the West down the stretch and slayed the Mavs in the playoffs. But Baron Davis is injury-prone, Matt Barnes and Mickael Pietrus remain unsigned, and they might miss Jason Richardson (traded to Charlotte) more than they think. They better hope that Italian sharpshooter Marco Belinelli doesn't play like a rookie.

8. LAKERS: Despite Kobe Bryant's pleas, they have not yet been able to do anything major to get him the help he needs. Derek Fisher is only going to help so much. Bryant and a healthy Lamar Odom should be enough to get them to the playoffs, but it's hard to imagine them doing much better as presently constituted.

9. HORNETS: Despite a wave of injuries, they came on strong late last season and still almost made the playoffs. GM Jeff Bower then went out and signed Peterson to fill their hole at shooting guard, giving Chris Paul another weapon to go with Peja Stojakovic, Bobby Jackson, David West and Tyson Chandler. But can they stay healthy?

10. CLIPPERS: Which team are they? The feisty Cinderella who won 47 games two years ago, or the lackadaisical outfit that backslid to a 40-42 mark a year ago? Hard-working Elton Brand will give them a chance to return to the postseason, but their only significant addition has been No. 14 pick Al Thornton.

11. GRIZZLIES: They added one of the big catches in the free-agent market in power forward Darko Milicic. He should join with Pau Gasol, Rudy Gay and Mike Miller to get them back to respectability after a dismal 2006-07 campaign. But young point guards Mike Conley Jr. and Kyle Lowry will have to learn on the fly.

12. KINGS: Despite trade rumors involving Mike Bibby and Ron Artest, they have stood pat so far. GM Geoff Petrie did fill their need for more size by adding free-agent center Mikki Moore and 7-foot first-round pick Spencer Hawes, but coach Reggie Theus still faces a tough job in his first season.

13. BLAZERS: Top pick Greg Oden hasn't been their only significant addition. New GM Kevin Pritchard also stockpiled two other first-round picks in Rudy Fernandez and Petteri Kopenen, as well as veterans Blake, James Jones and Channing Frye (the last in a trade for Zach Randolph).

14. SONICS: Like their Pacific rivals, they too have gone into full rebuilding mode behind top rookies Kevin Durant (No. 2 overall) and Jeff Green (No. 5). New GM Sam Presti also traded for veterans Wally Szczerbiak, Delonte West and Kurt Thomas to replace the departed Ray Allen and Rashard Lewis and help ease the kids' transition.

15. WOLVES: With the KG era officially over, they can get on with the rebuilding. Al Jefferson and Juwan Howard (acquired in a trade with the Rockets) take over at power forward, while top rookie Corey Brewer joins a whole bunch of young players who figure to need a lot of time to grow.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/marty_burns/08/03/west.rankings/1.html

Johnny RIngo
08-03-2007, 06:40 PM
Jazz, Rockets, and Nuggets should be ahead of the S0ns. Those three teams will abuse Phoenix in the paint now that Thomas is gone.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-03-2007, 06:43 PM
These rankings remind me just how strong the West really is.

I could see Denver and the Lakers unraveling and falling out of the playoffs. Ditto for Golden State in spite of their success this past season.

Portland will likely just miss the post season. I'd rank them 9 or 10.

T Park
08-03-2007, 06:44 PM
The Suns lost their edge on the Spurs when they traded Kurt Thomas.

Now its back to 2005, but worse.

FromWayDowntown
08-03-2007, 06:46 PM
Jazz, Rockets, and Nuggets should be ahead of the S0ns. Those three teams will abuse Phoenix in the paint now that Thomas is gone.

Those teams might be better than the Suns -- I doubt it -- but it won't be a result of Thomas being traded. People here seem to overrate Thomas as a season-long difference maker for Phoenix. He only played about 18 minutes per game for them in 2006-07 during the regular season, and he only played in 67 games. Somehow, without Thomas playing in every game and without him playing big minutes, the Suns won 61 games and had the league's 2nd best record.

Thomas was big for them against the Spurs because he eliminated the need for them to double on Duncan. But he didn't have the same effect -- and the Suns didn't need that effect -- against teams that don't have Duncan. Plus, in a regular season setting, the Suns are going to win a lot of games anyway because they're able to simply outscore people. That will be true with or without Thomas.

Cant_Be_Faded
08-03-2007, 06:47 PM
Portland is going to be so ridiculously ridiculous, possibly even halfway through the season.

RC's Boss
08-03-2007, 09:09 PM
Portland is going to be so ridiculously ridiculous, possibly even halfway through the season.
Do you mean that in a good way? I personally believe Oden won't be the 2nd coming most people think he will be.

SPARKY
08-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Kings 12th? Too high.

barbacoataco
08-03-2007, 10:21 PM
The top 6 from last year seem like a lock to make the playoffs next year. That leaves the Warriors, Lakers, Hornets and Blazers fighting for 2 spots. I think the Blazers or the Hornets, if they are healthy, could do it. Portland has Roy and Aldridge who have already proved they can play. Even if Oden struggles on offense, he will have some effect as a defensive guy under the basket. He might get in a lot of foul trouble too, but we will block shots a affect shots. Roy is IMO= to Deron Williams. I live in Portland and I see this team play a lot. They will be good by mid-season. But to make the playoffs in the Western conference they will have to knock off the Lakers.

Shred
08-04-2007, 12:53 AM
Why bother? No team but the Spurs stands a chance. There's no point to even playing the season.

1Parker1
08-04-2007, 01:02 AM
Rockets will be better than the Jazz next season.

TDMVPDPOY
08-04-2007, 01:07 AM
memphis would return to the playoffs imo

should be rank between 6-9

OldDirtMcGirt
08-04-2007, 02:15 AM
The top 6 from last year seem like a lock to make the playoffs next year. That leaves the Warriors, Lakers, Hornets and Blazers fighting for 2 spots. I think the Blazers or the Hornets, if they are healthy, could do it. Portland has Roy and Aldridge who have already proved they can play. Even if Oden struggles on offense, he will have some effect as a defensive guy under the basket. He might get in a lot of foul trouble too, but we will block shots a affect shots. Roy is IMO= to Deron Williams. I live in Portland and I see this team play a lot. They will be good by mid-season. But to make the playoffs in the Western conference they will have to knock off the Lakers.

I think that the Hornets are going to make the playoffs. They were absolutely killed by injuries last year. Tyson Chandler is a beast, and Chris Paul is an excellent young point guard.

spurscenter
08-04-2007, 08:57 AM
celtics are better than the lakers

RobinsontoDuncan
08-04-2007, 09:22 AM
dont laugh, but i think the timberwolves will be in the playoffs next year.

they have a lot of young talent now, and a good amount of depth.

50 cent
08-04-2007, 12:38 PM
Portland is going to struggle next year. Don't get me wrong, they will be damn good in 3-4 years, but they are going to struggle next year. No way they make the playoffs.

confined
08-04-2007, 12:53 PM
Kings 12th? Too high.

Mitch Cumsteen
08-04-2007, 02:37 PM
Hard-working Elton Brand will give them a chance to return to the postseason,

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2007/writers/marty_burns/08/03/west.rankings/1.html
He may want to go back and edit that.

And there's no way in hell Minnesota is getting to the post-season. They have almost the exact same roster as the Celtics did two years ago WITHOUT Paul Pierce, and are playing in the western conference. They'll be lucky to win 17 games this.

Spurs Dynasty 21
08-04-2007, 04:28 PM
LOL @ Suns being #3

the only chance they had at guarding TD was KT and they traded him for nothing

lebomb
08-05-2007, 08:20 AM
I could see Denver unraveling and falling out of the playoffs. Ditto for Golden State in spite of their success this past season.

LOL.................You cant be serious!!!