PDA

View Full Version : My journey to the county jail and out again (as of 8:30pm).

phyzik
08-03-2007, 10:18 PM
OK, so Thursday was a typical day at work, I started to head home down 281 South back into town. Im cruising along with traffic, listening to KISS when I see lights behind me. to the point, I was doing 75 in a 65, have a revoked driving license, 3 warrants for failure to appear and 1 warrant for disobeying police officers (plus the ticket I was about to get). so.... Off to the Magisters office we go!!! (I would later learn he didnt specifically target me, he was just cruising along as well and was checking plates as he went, it wasnt the speed he stopped me for obviously and ALOT OF THE CHARGES ARE ARGUABLE IN COURT).

So.... 6:30pm and Im booked into the Magisters office.... its packed... They stick me in one of the roughly 15x10 rooms with some other guys. Im freaking out because, well, Im white. It turns out that shit is all nonsense, just about everyone was cool and we joked around to pass the time while I waited for my best friend to post against a 1000.00 bond. (for those unfimiliar, you usually only have to pay 10-20% of the ammount of the bond and nothing else). While I wait I get the opportunity to get a PR bond (like a bond but faster and less expensive, usually only have to pay 3% of the ammount and have 3 days to do so) so I go in to apply, they ask a few questions including if someone is currently trying to get a bond to get me out. I say yes and they give my friend a call to see where he is at in getting the bond.... he is at the Bondsmans place getting it at that point, so no reason to get the PR bond (or so we thought).

The Magister had given me until 2:00am to post the bond, it was now 2:45am and Im kind of getting nervous..... too late.... here comes the wagon, Im on my way to county.... FUCK!

Finally get into county, which by the way FUCKING SUCKS (as its meant to, but hear me out). Most people here know about the overcrouding in the county jail..... you have no idea... Lets just say I was living in conditions for 18 hours that would have had PETA screaming at the top of their lungs if this was used on animals. I hope this puts it into prospective....

The rooms before they "book" you into county jail and send you up to the "Annex" (where inmates actually hang) are similar to the holding tanks at the magister office, except a bit smaller and smell much more like urine. As we are ushured into 1 of the rooms I glance up and it has "MAXIMUM OCCUPANCY 16"..... 38 of us went into the room. Not only that, the AC vents dont work and on top of that the guards periodically come by and close the doors for a few hours at a time because some idiots in the rooms cant shut the fuck up. new residents call these rooms "MICROWAVES" and for good reason.

by this point I have talked to just about everyone else thats with me and a few of them have experienced this process before.... it takes 2 to 3 days before you are fully booked into county and get your own bed.... Guess where we stay in the mean time? thats right, the extremely cramped little rooms that have no AC. Most of us took turns standing while others could lay down on the concrete and get some rest, we'd switch every couple of hours.

suffice it to say, I was in custody from 6:30pm to about 4:00 when I hear some very magical words to my ears... a bond has been posted and paid for me just before I was about to take my shots and be given my orange jump suit complete with medicaly face mask inmates are required to wear constantly (unless sleeping with head under the covers) for 3 days strait.

let me tell you, its not fun, but I am suprised "iWitness wants to know" hasnt looked at the treatment these people get when entering county, it borders on being torture.... especially since ALOT of them are just for minor traffic tickets or misdimeanors. out of about 300 people I met in passing, only about 6 of them truely deserved hard time. The rest where getting out on bond or "time paid" for 24 hours of being in their. The fucking guards need to be kicked in the balls a multitude of times though some of them where tollorable given the circumstances.

Im just glad to be out...... You should be glad if you never have to go. I know I never want to go back again and I didnt even make it to the Annex (which, funny as it may sound, I heard is actually quite cool once you get past "admittance")

08-03-2007, 10:33 PM
No "Yo Holmes, off to Bel Air"?

I'm disappointed.

leemajors
08-03-2007, 11:15 PM
is this at least going to make you take care of your warrants?

phyzik
08-03-2007, 11:20 PM
is this at least going to make you take care of your warrants?

no

:rolleyes

of course I am!!! I had no idea I had them in the first place. :cry

ShoogarBear
08-03-2007, 11:21 PM
No "Yo Holmes, off to Bel Air"?
First thing I checked for. :lol

leemajors
08-03-2007, 11:21 PM
i worked with too many people in restaurants that just slacked off on that shit, and wouldn't show up to work for a few days when they got arrested.

ShoogarBear
08-03-2007, 11:24 PM
On the positive side, you now have something in common with Paris Hilton.

SPARKY
08-03-2007, 11:27 PM
Cops run the ultimate racket.

08-03-2007, 11:54 PM
Yea, the whole revoked license and failure to appear.

It's a racket sure enough.

CuckingFunt
08-04-2007, 01:08 AM
First thing I checked for. :lolSame here.

ZStomp
08-04-2007, 06:57 AM
Lesson learned: take care of your warrants/tickets- they are an easy way to go to jail. Also, driving while license suspended/revoked- another way to jail. :)

ZStomp
08-04-2007, 06:59 AM
OK, so Thursday was a typical day at work, I started to head home down 281 South back into town. Im cruising along with traffic, listening to KISS when I see lights behind me. to the point, I was doing 75 in a 65, have a revoked driving license, 3 warrants for failure to appear and 1 warrant for disobeying police officers (plus the ticket I was about to get). so.... Off to the Magisters office we go!!! (I would later learn he didnt specifically target me, he was just cruising along as well and was checking plates as he went, it wasnt the speed he stopped me for obviously and ALOT OF THE CHARGES ARE ARGUABLE IN COURT).

What charges? How are they arugable?

maxpower
08-04-2007, 09:38 AM
First thing I checked for. :lol

Ditto...
:clap

oh yeah...sorry about your day :bang

angel_luv
08-04-2007, 10:04 AM
I checked for Bel Air references too.

Worse than that, I was browsing the t.v. guide last night and when it said that Nick at Night was showing " Fresh Prince" my first thought had nothing to do with the actual show content. Instead it reminded me of this board and all the recent Bel Air threads.

AlamoSpursFan
08-04-2007, 05:47 PM
What charges? How are they arugable?

Some people consider the practice of running plates at random a violation of unreasonable search and seizure. From what I hear anyways...I got a ticket for expired plates once in Seguin. It was nighttime and the cop got on the interstate behind me, so there is no possible way he could have seen my windshield sticker. I wasn't speeding and I had no lights out on my car, so he had no probable cause to pull me over. He randomly ran my plates (obviously) and several people told me to fight the ticket on those grounds. I didn't, but it only cost me $10.

ZStomp
08-04-2007, 06:43 PM
Some people consider the practice of running plates at random a violation of unreasonable search and seizure. From what I hear anyways...I got a ticket for expired plates once in Seguin. It was nighttime and the cop got on the interstate behind me, so there is no possible way he could have seen my windshield sticker. I wasn't speeding and I had no lights out on my car, so he had no probable cause to pull me over. He randomly ran my plates (obviously) and several people told me to fight the ticket on those grounds. I didn't, but it only cost me $10.

They don't have to see the windshield sticker. When a license plate is checked- it shows the expiration month on the computer. Officers have a right to check plates for stolen vehicles.

tsb2000
08-04-2007, 07:13 PM
Lets just say I was living in conditions for 18 hours that would have had PETA screaming at the top of their lungs if this was used on animals. I hope this puts it into prospective....

Except that whole "dogs don't drive with warrants and revoked licenses" thing.. :)

bendmz
08-04-2007, 08:54 PM
back in 2001, I tried out the "Bexar County Cooler". and I will agree with most of what you said. I did not hear mention of all those cops running around in NINJA outfits.....
I got out after 8 hours and on a PR bond. which by the way did not cost me a penny. What a PR bond does is put a lean on any assets you may have, such as a house or other fixed assets.....
shit I had a harder time with a bails bonds man who insisted I get a bond....Could not see any point in getting two bonds. so he got pissed...

AlamoSpursFan
08-04-2007, 10:00 PM
They don't have to see the windshield sticker. When a license plate is checked- it shows the expiration month on the computer.

I thought I covered that.

Officers have a right to check plates for stolen vehicles.

Again...if you read my post, I didn't actually question whether they do or don't. Just that some people I talked to seem to think, for whatever reason, that they don't because checking for stolen plates at 65 mph on an Interstate Highway doesn't rise to the level of "probable cause". I personally thought it was bullshit, but who doesn't think they've been pulled over for bullshit?

:lol

Nbadan
08-05-2007, 12:19 AM
When did not getting your tax sticker on time become a probable-cause violation? Shouldn't it be a civil violation?

E20
08-05-2007, 12:23 AM
I checked for the Bel-Air thing. I didn't even read the post afterward, I just scrolled down. :lol

ZStomp
08-05-2007, 12:38 AM
When did not getting your tax sticker on time become a probable-cause violation? Shouldn't it be a civil violation?

It's against the law to not register your vehicle in Texas. It's a crime..hence, it's probable cause to detain you...and make an arrest if need be. It's in the Texas Transportation Code.

ZStomp
08-05-2007, 12:42 AM
Just that some people I talked to seem to think, for whatever reason, that they don't because checking for stolen plates at 65 mph on an Interstate Highway doesn't rise to the level of "probable cause".

:lol

I don't think I understood you but the police don't need Probable Cause to check/run plates....

sabar
08-05-2007, 12:49 AM
Yeah you won't get unreasonable search seeing as how there was no searching involved. Plus if something illegal has line-of-sight to the public you can get nailed for it, like a window sticker or growing weed on your window sill of your house.

Anyways that didn't sound fun.

tlongII
08-05-2007, 04:05 PM
Illegal Immigrant Forum

ShoogarBear
08-05-2007, 04:25 PM
If you're a law-abiding citizen, you have nothing to fear from laws.

Support the wire-tapping bill!