PDA

View Full Version : The 1984 NBA Finals: David Stern's first conspiracy

lefty
08-04-2007, 06:44 PM
http://basketbawful.blogspot.com/2007/08/1984-nba-finals-david-sterns-first.html

As I noted in The Stern Button post, officiating controversies and conspiracy theories have dogged David Stern for the last several years. Looking back, I couldn't help but wonder when it all began. Was it the Dwyane Wade Freethrow-A-Thon in the 2006 NBA Finals? Was it when the Kings got jobbed in Game 6 of the 2002 Western Conference Finals? Was it when the Jazz got hosed in Game 6 of the 1998 NBA Finals? Was it when the Suns got 64 freethrows in Game 7 of the 1993 Western Conference Finals? Or was it the entire second half of Michael Jordan's career? Surprisingly enough, it was none of those. Turns out, the conspiracy theories started in Year 1 of the Stern Regime.

Stern was named Commissioner of the NBA on February 1, 1984. He took the helm of a league beset by fan disinterest, financial problems, and drug scandals, yet he righted the ship almost instantly. Of course, Stern had a little help from fate and circumstance. First, the 1984 NBA Finals featured a classic seven-game showdown between Larry Bird's Boston Celtics and Magic Johnson's Los Angeles Lakers. Then, over the next couple seasons, a new crop of soon-to-be superstars entered the league: Charles Barkley, Hakeem Olajuwon, John Stockton, Karl Malone, Michael Jordan, and Patrick Ewing to name a few. Further sweetening the pot was the fact that the Celtics and Lakers met in the Finals again in '85 and '87. By the time Jordan's popularity took off in the late '80s, the league was suddenly speeding headlong toward globalization.

It sure seems like Stern was the beneficiary of being in the right place at the right time. Or was he? In retrospect, the good times clearly started with the '84 Finals, which was the ignition point of the Bird/Magic Era. I was recently rewatching Game 7 of that series -- one of the best championship matchups of all time, by the way -- and I was surprised to hear Tommy Heinsohn say, "By challenging the commissioner, I think [Bird] was trying to get the refs on his side." Dick Stockton followed that cryptic statement with the following explanation: "You heard Commissioner Stern...hearsay that someone heard David Stern say that the league wanted a seven-game series, and of course Larry Bird went to town with it." [You can listen to it http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hI0TMKAm_yg&mode=related&search=; the comments start around the 2:35 mark.]

Eh? I was intrigued. Unfortunately, a simple Google search failed me, so I started poking around The Boston Globe's online archives*. On June 11, 1984, the Globe ran an article written by Dan Shaughnessy called Bird: NBA Wanted 7. After the Celtics lost Game 6, Larry Legend was pissed, but not at the Lakers or his teammates. He was steamed at the Commish.

"Stern told a fan that the NBA needed a seven-game series, that the league needed the money. When the commissioner makes a statement like that to a fan, you know it's going to be tough. When Stern makes a statement like that, things are going to happen. You just don't make statements like that and not expect anything out of it. He's the commissioner and he shouldn't be saying anything like that. The NBA wanted a seventh game because they wanted to make more money and they got their wish. There is no reason for me to lie. He said it. He's a man and he'll live up to it. He may say he said it in jest. But I'm out there trying to make a living and win a championship."

Those were some pretty strong words from Bird**. Was there any validity to the claim? It's hard to say, since Game 6 is the only game of that series I haven't seen. But I can tell you this: The Celtics were in control for most of the game, leading by four after one quarter, by six at halftime, and by 11 with 3:59 left in the third quarter. But then things turned around in a hurry, as the Lakers outscored the Celtics 46-24 the rest of the way, enjoying a 35-17 advantage*** at the line and winning 119-108 despite Bird's 28/14/8. [This information comes from the Boston Celtics 1984 Championship Official Souvenir Book.]

On June 12, 1984, the Globe ran another Shaughnessy article called Riley: Script Is Written For Lakers' Victory. It's mostly a bunch of hippe talk**** from Pat Riley, but it does give a brief follow-up to Bird's anti-Stern comments.

According to Shaughnessy: "NBA commissioner David Stern chose not to issue any statement in response to Larry Bird's charge Sunday that Stern wanted a seventh game because the league needed the money. Stern's office said the commissioner was 'unreachable,' and no one there knew his exact whereabouts. However, NBA spokesman Brian McIntyre spoke with Stern. 'David said Bird's comment is ridiculous. Like every fan in America, he has been looking forward to a seventh game. It's a dream matchup, and everybody has wanted to see a seven-game series since Day 1.'"

It's interesting that Stern chose not to confront Bird's comments head on (and what's up with the "no one knows his exact whereabouts" stuff...what, was he on Air Force 1?). It's even more interesting that he didn't fine Bird or the Celtics; these days, those comments would be worth 100K or more in fines. It wasn't at all surprising, however, that Stern dismissed Bird's claims as "ridiculous," since that's his buzz word of choice whenever any kind of criticism is leveled against him.

Was there a conspiracy? Did Stern have a little chat with the refs before Game 6 about the league's need for a seventh game? We'll never know for sure. But it is, nonetheless, a fascinating piece of historical trivia that Stern never had even a single year as NBA Commissioner without at least one officiating controversy.

* The Boston Globe charges $2.95 per archived article. That seems a little steep to me.

** Of course, this is the same guy who called his own teammates "a bunch of sissies" after the Celtics got blown out in Game 3. Then, when asked if his team had played any better in their Game 4 comeback victory, Bird said, "Yeah, we just played like a bunch of women tonight." Yikes.

*** Did the C's get a few makeup calls in Game 7? Maybe, maybe not. But they had a 51-28 freethrow advantage in that final game.

**** Going into Game 7, Riley guaranteed the Lakers would win. "It's destiny. I believe in the Fates, and I think it's our time. I think the script is written for us to win." This is the kind of motivational crap that Riley's famous (and infamous) for. It sounds brilliant when he's right, and idiotic when he's wrong. In this case, it was the latter for Riley, since the Lakers lost the game 111-102.

Obstructed_View
08-04-2007, 07:04 PM
"The league wants a seven game series"

Um. Duh?

OldDirtMcGirt
08-04-2007, 07:11 PM
"The league wants a seven game series"

Um. Duh?

Seriously. If the league was fixed and they're still having all of these problems then David Stern has to be the stupidest huming being alive.

Obstructed_View
08-04-2007, 07:15 PM
But why would anyone be surprised that the commissioner of the NBA wants a series to go seven games? Wouldn't the CEO of any company hope for something that generates revenue and excitement for his product?

In addition, if there were a conspiracy, why would David Stern confide in some shmoe who's sitting next to him at a game?

lefty
08-04-2007, 07:31 PM
But why would anyone be surprised that the commissioner of the NBA wants a series to go seven games? Wouldn't the CEO of any company hope for something that generates revenue and excitement for his product?

In addition, if there were a conspiracy, why would David Stern confide in some shmoe whose sitting next to him at a game?

Good point

wildbill2u
08-05-2007, 05:44 PM
The first time I ever questioned the honesty of the league was when we got jobbed against Washington in our first NBA playoff competition.

The meme then was that the NBA didn't want the upstart ABA teams who had just entered the NBA to do well.

Subsequent losses in the playoffs to the Lakers where in one game we got 22 fouls to 2 in the first half didn't make me feel any better.

exstatic
08-05-2007, 05:47 PM
http://www.eeevilconservative.com/images/000_0336.JPG

Punkkboy44
08-05-2007, 09:02 PM
Wildbill...u r so right..the NBA did not want an ABA team in the finals...

mikeanthony21
08-05-2007, 11:55 PM
The first time I ever questioned the honesty of the league was when we got jobbed against Washington in our first NBA playoff competition.

The meme then was that the NBA didn't want the upstart ABA teams who had just entered the NBA to do well.

Subsequent losses in the playoffs to the Lakers where in one game we got 22 fouls to 2 in the first half didn't make me feel any better.

If memory serves me correctly, didn't the Spurs play the Celtics in the first round in the '76-'77 season? The Washington screwjob wasn't until the '78-'79 season. The phantom moving screen called on Billy Paultz... the offensive foul on James Silas... :depressed

ShoogarBear
08-06-2007, 12:07 AM
If memory serves me correctly, didn't the Spurs play the Celtics in the first round in the '76-'77 season? The Washington screwjob wasn't until the '78-'79 season. The phantom moving screen called on Billy Paultz... the offensive foul on James Silas... :depressedThat's right.

inconvertible
08-06-2007, 06:36 AM
stern must be scared straight when the FBI comes snooping around. I wonder if the investigations have been prompted by 1.the bucks owner(u.s. senator) 2.ralph naders concerns 3.alberto gonzales(san antonio native).

whatever the case the FED is now up the ass of the NBA. hopefully this shit stops right now.

Twisted_Dawg
08-06-2007, 07:24 AM

Mike Gale once told me that he and his Spur team mates--to a man--believe the league made a "business decision" in that 1979 SA-Washington series in which the officiating clearly helped Washington win. If you think the league is dirty now---you should have seen if back in the 1970's.

conversekid
08-06-2007, 08:07 AM
if there was such a huge conspiracy, i don't see the spurs winning 4... too small of a market. bad refs? yes. Biased refs? yes. a league wide conspiracy? no.

MajorMike
08-06-2007, 08:33 AM
if there was such a huge conspiracy, i don't see the spurs winning 4... too small of a market. bad refs? yes. Biased refs? yes. a league wide conspiracy? no.

See, I have always believed (to a certain extent) in the crookedness of the NBA. Yet if there was one, they could have easily made the Suns beat us (Phx a much more 'exciting' and marketable Finals) and they certainly would not have had us sweep the most popular athlete in the US (as witnessed by his ESPY).

ShoogarBear
08-06-2007, 01:06 PM
Mike Gale
:worthy: :worthy: :worthy:

Obstructed_View
08-06-2007, 04:04 PM
If there were a league wide conspiracy, we'd be talking about whether Keith Van Horn should have his Spurs jersey retired instead of whether we'll have our fifth parade next year.

barbacoataco
08-06-2007, 07:36 PM
I think fans are confusing the difference between a legue wide conspiracy to help certain teams, and individual refs being on the take to gambling and mob interests. Stern and the league would want certain teams, like the Lakers or the Knicks, to do well based on their market size.
But on a game to game basus gamblers could be trying to fix any one aspect of a game: the over/under, point spread, or even how much certain players score. They have all kinds of side-bets on NBA games, like "will Duncan score 30 pts.?" A ref like Donaghy could have been trying to influence different factors in different games, with no bias towards one team. However, this could easily also influence who does win the games, and has to be considered "fixing" the game anyways.

Willinsa
08-07-2007, 07:12 PM
I think the league has always been corrupt, it started in 79 when the Spurs got screwed, in 85 with the fixed lottery. Also the NBA it is all about the almight $$, and they could care less how they make it.