PDA

View Full Version : what NBA rule would you like to change as a Spurs fan?

Re-Animator
08-05-2007, 12:06 AM
I wish they went back the the same rules they had back in *99 the one where David and Tim were allowed to stand side by side and guard the basket,what was that rule they changed that sucked?

what NBA rule would you like to change as a Spurs fan?

sabar
08-05-2007, 12:22 AM
I dunno what I'd change... hand checking maybe

caŽlo
08-05-2007, 12:24 AM
not to change any rule... but i think adding the instant replay to argue calls would help a lot on dubious calls..

though we can be sure the game will be delayed a lot because of it.

YoMamaIsCallin
08-05-2007, 12:27 AM
My rule change would be to speed up the free throwing process by forbidding players to step over the line to touch hands with the shooter after the first free throw. I don't know how this got started but it needs to stop.

Switchman
08-05-2007, 12:48 AM
not to change any rule... but i think adding the instant replay to argue calls would help a lot on dubious calls..

though we can be sure the game will be delayed a lot because of it.

Only allow one challenge per half.

I'd try to get rid of the flopping but don't know how it'd be done.

lint
08-05-2007, 01:19 AM
Change that you can't laugh while sitting on the bench rule!

=RTM=
08-05-2007, 01:23 AM
get rid of the flopping .
RACK!

Get rid of the dress code!

SANANTOJAMES
08-05-2007, 01:39 AM
bring back instant replay and get rid of the rule that makes the other team inbound the ball after a shot clock violation

Typical London Boy
08-05-2007, 05:31 AM
Spurs have a 10-point head start for every game.

Supreme_Being
08-05-2007, 06:31 AM
Spurs have a 10-point head start for every game.

No no no no. The Spurs should give them 10 point head start for every game because we're too good for them.

Stump
08-05-2007, 07:49 AM
I'd tear down all the conference and division rules for the playoffs, and just let the best 16 teams in, with the seeding only determined by number of wins.

wildbill2u
08-05-2007, 10:36 AM
Why not ENFORCE the rules on palming and steps? Children in their first years of playing the game grow up knowing these are rules violations.

The pros are allowed to bend these rules because of the spectacular crowd-pleasing plays that come from ignoring them. The problem is that they are enforced irregularly with refs deciding what's allowed on a play by play basis.

And if you enforced the rules on offensive pushing off, Shaq would be on the bench most of the time.

lefty
08-05-2007, 11:00 AM
Alloing Duncan to hit Crawford would be great

boutons_
08-05-2007, 11:06 AM
"makes the other team inbound the ball after a shot clock violation"

already done, starting next season.

yes, enforce carrying and travelling. The players will bitch at first, but they will adjust.

Refereeing is in crisis, with refs, players, fans very unhappy. Add a 4th ref on the court and perhaps 6 "judges" (like in tennis), 3 on each end, in the stands (behind basket, and one on each wing). The judges can't call fouls, only provide input to the 4 court refs. All connected by secure radio headsets. The judges speak only when asked, saying yes/no/dunno on reviewed controversial calls. Faster and cheaper than NBA's own multiple cameras.

Widen the court 4 or more feet. The players are so much bigger and faster now. This would open up the inside more and also make the corner shorty/girly 3Gs go to full 23' 9", an completely curved arc, no straight corner lines.

FromWayDowntown
08-05-2007, 11:46 AM
More liberal use of the asterisk in the NBA record books.

Samr
08-05-2007, 01:00 PM
- Coaches determine parameters with which to define being "in shape." These parameters are then ingested into all existing and future player contracts. Any player arriving to training camp in a condition deemed to be "out of shape" is contractually obligated to appear on the local nightly news station, in a chicken suit, and sing the chorus to Cher's "Believe."

- Stephen A. Smith, as per the Collective Bargaining Agreement, is allotted only one pick per season. He will announce on air the team he has decided will win the title, and record and film clips are made of this selection. This way, when the Celtics lose in the second round and LeBron registers for swimming lessons in early May, he may be ritualistically mocked and banished to a career in politics.

- One coaching change, maximum, per five year period. This will eliminate the almost rhythmic hiring and firing coaches as a solution to teams' problems, and will instead force them to select a single coach/system, and then have the patience to build a team to operate within that mold. Any team wishing to hire a new coach within this time frame will be given a two month "think it over" period, during which no additional personnel moves shall be made, and then questioned on live television with "Is that your final answer?"

Red_Rocket_Fan_47
08-05-2007, 01:06 PM
Hi I'm new here ... I always wondered, what is hand-checking?

mathbzh
08-05-2007, 04:26 PM
- One coaching change, maximum, per five year period. This will eliminate the almost rhythmic hiring and firing coaches as a solution to teams' problems, and will instead force them to select a single coach/system, and then have the patience to build a team to operate within that mold. Any team wishing to hire a new coach within this time frame will be given a two month "think it over" period, during which no additional personnel moves shall be made, and then questioned on live television with "Is that your final answer?"
I disagree:
- If a coach sucks you should be able to fire him
- It takes time to build a tam. The current system reward smart FO who don't get rid of their coach everytime they don't have the expected results.

ShoogarBear
08-05-2007, 04:27 PM
I would change the rule so that you could leave the bench to participate in a fight.

No, wait, that's not me.

mathbzh
08-05-2007, 04:28 PM
I would go back to the old rules of the early 90s. Players crying about Bruce so called dirtyness would know what a physical defense really is.

mathbzh
08-05-2007, 04:28 PM
I would change the rule so that you could leave the bench to participate in a fight.

No, wait, that's not me.

And allow the fans to go down to the court to chalenge players in a free fight

Samr
08-05-2007, 05:40 PM
I disagree:
- If a coach sucks you should be able to fire him
- It takes time to build a tam. The current system reward smart FO who don't get rid of their coach everytime they don't have the expected results.

While the post itself was mostly sarcastic, I think teams have a tendency to hire/fire coaches whenever something isn't working (I'm looking at YOU, Houston) as opposed to building their team around the coach's strengths and seeing where that takes them (example: Pop as basically a second GM has worked GREAT, and no wonder).

ALVAREZ6
08-05-2007, 06:16 PM
I'd change the dress code policy so Tony P can show up slangin in his RocaWear.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_UeTfho70lI

:clap

ALVAREZ6
08-05-2007, 06:20 PM
Y'all. know. who. the one and only, F-A-B and Tony.

Y'all. don't. be. where we be,

From France to the N-Y-C!!

phyzik
08-05-2007, 07:23 PM
add a "delay of game" type ruling during free throws. If someone steps into the paint between freethrows they get a foul.

within the last minute of play during each half a coach has the option to challenge a call. While this would slow the game up some it wont be by much... shit, I've seen plenty of games that take another 10 minutes during the final 2 minutes of play because of intentional fouling anyway, whats 2 more minutes going to matter at that point? Nevermind that it actually could speed things up a bit if challenged correctly since we wont have to wait for freethrow attempts that take forever because players are walking around.

CubanMustGo
08-05-2007, 09:19 PM
Actually, I'd like a rule that says that in the last two minutes of a half you have the option to take the ball out instead of FTs after a foul ...

rr2418
08-05-2007, 09:24 PM
Kicking the ball - The way it is now if the ball is touched by the defender's foot and the shot clock is below 14 seconds the play is stopped with the offensive team keeping the ball and putting the clock back to 14 sec.

Change - I would allow using your feet to defend too.

jbspurs
08-05-2007, 09:28 PM
Get rid of the restricted line inside the paint. I hate this rule, it takes away alot of good plays in the game.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-05-2007, 09:44 PM
Shots at half court between the half and the opposing the 3-point line count as 4 points. Shots at full court from 2 point range of the opposing side count as 5 points.

lefty
08-05-2007, 09:51 PM
Allow Shaq to shoot 4 free throws every time he is fouled, so he can hit a least one of them.

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-05-2007, 09:52 PM
:lol

SequSpur
08-06-2007, 12:21 AM
the circle under the basket is the dumbest fucking rule in all of sports.

ALVAREZ6
08-06-2007, 12:52 AM
Actually, I'd like a rule that says that in the last two minutes of a half you have the option to take the ball out instead of FTs after a foul ...wow

that is actually a very solid idea, I'm all for that.

Strike
08-06-2007, 05:51 AM
Stephen A. Smith, as per the Collective Bargaining Agreement, is allotted only one pick per season. He will announce on air the team he has decided will win the title, and record and film clips are made of this selection. This way, when the Celtics lose in the second round and LeBron registers for swimming lessons in early May, he may be ritualistically mocked and banished to a career in politics.

:lmao

FromWayDowntown
08-06-2007, 11:02 AM
Reinstitute the three-to-make-two rule in bonus situations.

alamo50
08-06-2007, 11:14 AM
Whining coaches should get banned from the game much faster (d'Antoni).

hater
08-06-2007, 01:25 PM
"the cheerleaders have to wear clothing"

ShoogarBear
08-06-2007, 01:27 PM
Reinstitute the three-to-make-two rule in bonus situations.I hope you jest.

FromWayDowntown
08-06-2007, 01:37 PM
I hope you jest.

What? Think about how great that could be -- Shaq might spend 5 consecutive minutes on the foul line as he gets 7 attempts because of 4 lane violations during his 3 real attempts. It would be classic.

I also want to see officials award 1 free throw for fouls occuring in the backcourt, regardless of the number of team fouls.

JamStone
08-06-2007, 01:43 PM
They need to get rid of icing.

Behrooz24
08-06-2007, 01:51 PM
The leave-the-bench-and-you're-gone-for-one-game rule. Everybody's a peacemaker right?

/sarcasm

ShoogarBear
08-06-2007, 01:53 PM
What? Think about how great that could be -- Shaq might spend 5 consecutive minutes on the foul line as he gets 7 attempts because of 4 lane violations during his 3 real attempts. It would be classic. This would be funny except that Spur Fans can't really toss stones here.

I also want to see officials award 1 free throw for fouls occuring in the backcourt, regardless of the number of team fouls.Salvatore games would be measured by the calendar.

spurs_fan_in_exile
08-06-2007, 02:02 PM
-If a team misses the playoffs for five straight seasons they are designated a "fan team". All personnel decisions that off season will be handled by internet voting.

-GM's and head coaches of all lottery teams will have to pass a polygraph test to prove they did not tank the season in pursuit of a draft pick.

tlongII
08-06-2007, 02:03 PM
I think Bruce Bowen should be allowed to trip people more often.

FromWayDowntown
08-06-2007, 02:03 PM
Salvatore games would be measured by the calendar.

I love me some basketball. Games end far too quickly for my tastes.

DDS4
08-06-2007, 02:05 PM
Create a sin bin and give a two minute minor for hip checks.

ShoogarBear
08-06-2007, 02:07 PM
Create a sin bin and give a two minute minor for hip checks.Better still, have them sit in a dunk tank and fans can throw cups at them.

Dave McNulla
08-06-2007, 02:37 PM
i like the one where the fouled team gets choice of free throws or ball out of bounds - w/min 14 sec on the shot clock. i don't see any real value in the intentional foul. that's not what naismith figured on when he created the game.

if you are down and there's not enough time left to win, you should lose.

WalterBenitez
08-06-2007, 02:38 PM
1st record in regular season can't be eliminated in first round, just to be kind with Mavs :lmao

bdictjames
08-06-2007, 02:43 PM
Technical fouls should result to 2 free throws.