PDA

View Full Version : Michael Irvin

TLWisfoine
08-05-2007, 03:05 AM
From what I can tell there's several Cowboy fans here and no love for Irvin, this is a travesty!!! :wtf

http://i.a.cnn.net/si/2006/writers/peter_king/11/28/mmqbte/t1_irvin.jpg

Winery
08-05-2007, 08:06 AM
I think his speech was awesome!

Mr.Bottomtooth
08-05-2007, 11:59 AM
Really touching.

O-Factor
08-05-2007, 12:28 PM
Amazing speech. And he didn't even have notes with him

jaespur21
08-05-2007, 02:15 PM
I got pumped up with jerry jones' ending. Hes a father A son and A COWBOY

DNS Error
08-05-2007, 10:43 PM
ive always wondered..how long must you wait to be up for election?

possessed
08-05-2007, 11:07 PM
Amazing speech by Mr. Irvin. Bravo!
:clap

TLWisfoine
08-05-2007, 11:16 PM
ive always wondered..how long must you wait to be up for election? DNS Error

Election into the hall is five years after retirement I believe.

K-State Spur
08-06-2007, 12:04 AM
Michael Irvin (and any other WR) have no business being in the Hall of Fame until Art Monk is given his due.

TLWisfoine
08-06-2007, 06:32 AM
^^^ Yeah Art was a much better reciever than Irvin!!! :rolleyes

samikeyp
08-06-2007, 09:52 AM
I was wondering when the "Monk over Irvin" debate would start. By saying one should be in at the expense of the other is ignorant and short-sided. That implies only one is deserving and that is simply not the case. Both men should be in.

I get that there are people out there who feel Irvin should not be in the Hall for the sole reason of the Star on his helmet but don't blame Irvin or the Cowboys for Monk not being in. Blame the voters. Monk has been eligible since 2000. I don't think he was a first ballot guy (I didn't think Irvin was either) but he should be in.

TLWisfoine
08-06-2007, 09:57 AM
I get that there are people out there who feel Irvin should not be in the Hall for the sole reason of the Star on his helmet but don't blame Irvin or the Cowboys for Monk not being in. Blame the voters. Monk has been eligible since 2000. I don't think he was a first ballot guy (I didn't think Irvin was either) but he should be in.

If anything that is what kept him out of the Hall. The voters have a huge bias when it comes to the Cowboys!!!

TheZackAttack!
08-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Michael Irvin (and any other WR) have no business being in the Hall of Fame until Art Monk is given his due.

Irvin was/IS more worthy than Monk. Monk being deserving is debatable, why do you think he has not gotten in?????

TheZackAttack!
08-06-2007, 10:35 AM

Monk in his prime, couldn't do what Irvin did in his prime. Simple as that.

K-State Spur
08-06-2007, 11:02 AM

Monk retired as the all-time leading receiver in football history - how many records did Irvin hold?

Unfortunately, Art was rather surly with the media (especially Peter King), rarely made acrobatic catches (but always made the big ones), never had a me-first drawing attention to himself attitude, and his career slightly overlapped an era where numerous WRs would put up huge numbers as well (nevermind that Monk did it in an offense that's key focus was the running game).

But nevermind Irvin so much, I can live with him getting in. But it's nothing short of a sports tragedy that guys like Swann, Stallworth, and Lofton got in ahead of Monk.

Apparently, the committee's nostalgia is to put every member of the 70s Steelers in the Hall. But the 80s and early 90s Redskins - despite going to the same number of Super Bowls - are represented only by Riggins!!! (and Gibbs). No Monk & none of the Hogs (Grimm being the most deserving)???

Darrell Green will add to that next year, but still...

MajorMike
08-06-2007, 11:05 AM

Bad arguement. Steve largent could NEVER do what irving/Rice/Monk did in their careers, yet he is considered one of the greatest WRs ever.

K-State Spur
08-06-2007, 11:06 AM

This is true - no argument there. But you can say that no WR (save Jerry Rice) could do what Randy Moss did in his prime. Would you say that Randy Moss is the second best WR of all-time? I wouldn't...

johnsmith
08-06-2007, 11:59 AM
I heard he had a pretty good speech.

samikeyp
08-06-2007, 12:49 PM
He had a very good speech and I heard for the first time some remorse for his off the field actions which I was glad to hear.

I would agree about those 80's and into 1991 Redskins teams. IMO, Grimm, May and Jacoby should be in off of that O-Line as should Monk. Green will get his due. If Manley could have stayed on the field, he might be there too.

I don't doubt the greatness of the 80's Niners but I would be anxious to have seen the results if they didn't have such a historically weak division through that time what they would have done. The NFC East was always rough, even when Dallas and Philly were not that good. Rarely did SF get a challenge from the Rams, Falcons or Saints back then.

dickface
08-06-2007, 01:53 PM
92 Cowboys were the greatest team of all time IMO.

Louae
08-06-2007, 02:00 PM
I'm sorry. I may be a huge cowboy's fan, but the 89 Niners were better than that team. If anything, I think the 94 Cowboys were the best team of that Cowboy dynasty. It's too bad that zebra robbed them of that 3rd Super Bowl in a row by holding onto that yellow hanky and then letting it go when our Bumpkin of a coach Bumped him.

Just thinking about the Cowboys having the ball inside the 10 yard line with 6 minutes left to go and down by 10 and I just know it my heart, the Cowboys are coming back to win that game. Ahhh, it's been 13 years and I still get pissed off about it.

samikeyp
08-06-2007, 02:11 PM
It's too bad that zebra robbed them of that 3rd Super Bowl in a row by holding onto that yellow hanky and then letting it go when our Bumpkin of a coach Bumped him.

Don't forget Deion's PI on Irvin.

To be fair though....Dallas killed themselves with those three early TO's that put them down 21-3 in the 1Q

K-State Spur
08-06-2007, 04:40 PM
don't forget about the '91 skins. they split 2 close games with the cowboys and dropped the finale to the eagles where they sat all the starters. other than that, they weren't even challenged the rest of the season, including 3 dominant victories in the playoffs.

TLWisfoine
08-06-2007, 04:47 PM
Uhh, why are we talking about the Skins and Monk on this thread?

K-State Spur
08-06-2007, 04:56 PM
Admittedly, I took it off on a tangent to Monk when a WR makes the HOF that isn't him.

But y'all started talking about greatest teams of all-time.

peewee's lovechild
08-06-2007, 08:35 PM
Irvin made a great speech.

He owned up to his mistakes and his fuck ups.
He apologized like a man.

He made me proud.

It was a great speech, and he spoke from the heart.

DNS Error
08-07-2007, 12:59 AM
DNS Error

Election into the hall is five years after retirement I believe.

thanks. guess that means emmitt in 09'.

O-Factor
08-07-2007, 01:08 AM
Bad arguement. Steve largent could NEVER do what irving/Rice/Monk did in their careers, yet he is considered one of the greatest WRs ever.

Monks stats were padded because of longevity. Its not like he got those numbers over a 10 year career or anything. He was not a greater WR than Irvin, but I'd put him in the Hall.

TLWisfoine
08-07-2007, 04:41 AM
Monks stats were padded because of longevity. Its not like he got those numbers over a 10 year career or anything. He was not a greater WR than Irvin, but I'd put him in the Hall.

100% in agreement!!!

K-State Spur
08-07-2007, 10:41 AM
nobody sets any career record without some longetivity. and he held 3 at some point in his career (single season receptions, consecutive games with a catch, and career receptions).

he was selected as all-NFL for the 1980s decade. and even Parcells, upon his retirement, said he was on his way to Canton downhill on roller skates.

peewee's lovechild
08-07-2007, 11:35 AM
he was selected as all-NFL for the 1980s decade. and even Parcells, upon his retirement, said he was on his way to Canton downhill on roller skates.

Parcells was good at saying funny shit.

But, he was right.

Louae
08-07-2007, 01:54 PM
don't forget about the '91 skins. they split 2 close games with the cowboys and dropped the finale to the eagles where they sat all the starters. other than that, they weren't even challenged the rest of the season, including 3 dominant victories in the playoffs.

Man, I remember that season. The skins were unbeatable that year. To this day, that Cowboy victory is my favorite considering how good the Skins were and having the game in RFK.

Mark Rypen must have made a deal with the devil that year b/c he played way above his head that year. I always thought that the Skins could've won more super bowls if they didn't have Rypien at QB during his stint.

Louae
08-07-2007, 01:59 PM
Don't forget Deion's PI on Irvin.

To be fair though....Dallas killed themselves with those three early TO's that put them down 21-3 in the 1Q

That's what I meant by saying that the zebra held onto that yellow hanky. If the ref would've thrown the flag on Deion for the PI penalty. I like our chances on winning that game and winning our 3rd consecutive super bowl. But alas, it didn't happen. I still love that game though, but it always burns me seeing that no-call and then seeing the refs compound the problem by throwing an unsportsmanlike penalty on Switzer for bumping the ref in protest.

K-State Spur
08-07-2007, 03:30 PM
Man, I remember that season. The skins were unbeatable that year. To this day, that Cowboy victory is my favorite considering how good the Skins were and having the game in RFK.

Mark Rypen must have made a deal with the devil that year b/c he played way above his head that year. I always thought that the Skins could've won more super bowls if they didn't have Rypien at QB during his stint.

I don't think it was a deal with the devil so much as Rypien was showing you what a slightly above average QB could do with an incredible offensive line. That was the second version of the hogs (Lachey, Jacoby, Mackenzie, Schlereth, and Bostic), not quite the road graters that the first version was, but they were even better in pass protection. Rypien went entire games without being touched. He was only sacked 7 times the entire season, including playoffs.

TLWisfoine
08-07-2007, 05:09 PM
I don't think it was a deal with the devil so much as Rypien was showing you what a slightly above average QB could do with an incredible offensive line. That was the second version of the hogs (Lachey, Jacoby, Mackenzie, Schlereth, and Bostic), not quite the road graters that the first version was, but they were even better in pass protection. Rypien went entire games without being touched. He was only sacked 7 times the entire season, including playoffs.

Several Skins fans I talk to say that the best Redskin team they can remember was the year when those guys came to Dallas in the fatigues, and the infamous "No Danny No".

K-State Spur
08-07-2007, 06:04 PM
that '83 team would certainly be in the discussion, they were arguably the best offensive team in the history of the NFL up to that point (but i think the '91 team had a much stronger defense and was able to control the line of scrimmage better).

and of course, when you get embarrassed in the superbowl and let marcus allen go hog wild on you, that diminishes your place in history when compared to teams like the '82 & '91 squads.

O-Factor
08-09-2007, 10:27 PM
Irvin made a great speech.

He owned up to his mistakes and his fuck ups.
He apologized like a man.

He made me proud.

It was a great speech, and he spoke from the heart.

:lol As many times as Irvin thanked God, I'd figure you'd of disowned the Cowboys by now.

Obstructed_View
08-09-2007, 11:58 PM
The Redskins offense was only run-oriented inasmuch as they were pre-west coast offense, an era where ALL offenses established the run to set up the passing game. Art Monk was a fearless receiver who would make the short catch over the middle and allow the Redskins to utilize the short pass, much the way the WCO later would. That attitude is what made him so good at everthing.

That said, it's a travesty that Monk isn't in the HOF. He was the whole package as a receiver, and a great team-first kind of humble guy, which I personally admire. Never have I heard of journalists banding together to attempt to blackball a player, especially one who was such an all around good guy. Having watched him for most of his career, he absolutely will be in the hall someday. Too bad that when he is, the douchebag Redskins fans will take credit for making it happen.

TLWisfoine
08-10-2007, 12:11 PM
Since we are talking about recievers who should be in the hall of fame, I say Drew Pearson should be in it as well. He may not have the stats as others, but the guy was clutch as hell.

http://blog.lib.umn.edu/maasx003/Vikings/images/040518drew.jpg

The original number 88.

Holt's Cat
08-10-2007, 12:15 PM
That cokehead made the Hall? Then again, Ice Cube is making family movies nowadays.

TLWisfoine
08-10-2007, 12:54 PM
^^^
http://diskunion.net/admin/cgi-bin/render.php?id=10441&tbl=mast_jacket