PDA

View Full Version : Digi Audio Players

MajorMike
08-06-2007, 09:23 AM
I ordered a Dell DJ. I understand I think they aren't in production anymore. However every website I read on them says they are the best 'no frills' audio player out there. No video, no pics, just lots of audio. Also compatable with Windows and very fast to transfer, plus nice battery life. From what I understand, the same company that made the Dell one also made the Microsoft one and they decided to just collaberate on one. If you go to the Dell site, they even sell the Microsoft one and not theirs anymore.

Ok, so anyway, I don't physically HAVE the thing yet, as I just bought it on ebay yesterday. I bought a referb with a 3 year warranty for 75 (shipping included) off ebay. I actually have good luck buying referb electronics off ebay, so it doesn't bug me. Its a 30GB, so I should have lots of room. It should be here within the week I figure.

I started ripping my CDs to my cpu. I did lots of testing as to what format sounded the best to me. I ripped several songs that I thought were very sound specific as to they just have to sound a certain way or they suck. I used a good variety and spent several hours doing it (INXS, Huey Lewis, Randy Travis, Tallica, Billy Joel). Songs that have lots of empty space and whatnot. Listened to them many times.

Every guide I read on mp3 vs WMA told me to keep looking until I found a format and a bit rate that I could hear very little if any difference in. Therefore I settled on the 96kbps WMA as the best while still being the lowest rate. I could hear to decernable change from the 128 to the 96, and they both sounded just as good as the CD to me, so I am doing that. The DJ is good with mp3 or WMA, so I got to choose.

I am actually very happy with the Windows Media player, which is what I am using. It rips pics and lists and everything, very nice. I also like the fact that it is organizing all my artist, altho I wish Billy Joel and Billy Idol were listed as J and I instead of B. Maybe I can find a way to fix that, not sure. I guess if it bugs me that much, I can change the folders to Joel, Billy.

Anyway, so I am hoping it is as easy to transfer everything over as everyone says it is, because I am learning on the fly. At the very least, I will end up having everything ripped to my CPU and I can store my actual CDs instead of having them in my living room (which will make my wife mucho happy). So far, I have about 25-30% of my CDs ripped and they are just over 4GB. So at the most, I anticipate around 20GB, plus I will most likely end up ripping any CDs my wife has as well. If all goes well, I will end up buying her one, too.

One thing I am going to have to work on is that my pickup has no RCA inputs or anything. For my SIRIUS I use an FM xmitter. Can you get the same sort of thing for a player? You think it is player specific or if I get one will it work for any player? My wife would be fine, because the caravan has RCA inputs (in a couple places, actually). Anyone?

Ok, so I am almost done with my ripping. I'm over 400 and have 50 or so left. I will then most likely burn anything my wife has, too (except maybe her NSYNC Christmas album). Right now with the vast majority of it all done, I'm not quite at 13GB. I thought it would be much more than that. I suppose if I knew the final size, I would go back and make them 128 instead of 96, but I didn't hear any diff anyway between the 2. Now I'm just gonna hang out and wait for my player to arrive. I got it so relatively pretty cheap, so now that I will have everything stored I can see how it goes for now.

Anyone have any other advice?

leemajors
08-06-2007, 10:38 AM
i know there are lots of fm transmitters out there for the iPod, not sure about the DJ. if nothing else you can get an FM modulator that plugs into the antenna jack of your head unit in the pickup, then the external antenna plugs into it. You set it to a certain station and it takes it over.

http://akamaipix.crutchfield.com/products/2005/142/h142FMMOD01-f.jpeg

it would work with your sirius too, or anything that has an audio jack.