PDA

View Full Version : Is Golf a Sport

SAtoDallas
08-06-2007, 09:24 AM
Or is it just an activity? If you can do something from the time your 5 to 80 it can't be a legit sport right?

JoeChalupa
08-06-2007, 09:32 AM
I think its a sport but I've never played gold outside of a putt-putt course. I can still throw a football, baseball, and shoot hoops and I see people of all ages at the local Y playing hoops.
I watched Tiger this weekend and he kicked some serious ass.

Shaolin-Style
08-06-2007, 09:46 AM
Of course it's a sport. It requires physical and mental accuracy in judging not only the course you're playing upon but the velocity and precision of your swing.

Ed Helicopter Jones
08-06-2007, 11:27 AM
Or is it just an activity? If you can do something from the time your 5 to 80 it can't be a legit sport right?

I've been trying for years and I still can't play golf.

johnsmith
08-06-2007, 11:42 AM

Walk 18 holes while playing from the black's, then ask yourself if it's a sport or not.

Not that getting tired is a prerequisite for identifying a sport, but if you are playing a serious round of golf and competing against others, it's nearly as physically draining as any other sport, it's also far more mentally draining then any other sport.

I played college football, and baseball, and neither could even approach the mental "toughness" required to shoot an 18 hole golf course while competing against others.

Sportcamper
08-06-2007, 12:03 PM
To make the PGA cut requires strength, conditioning and flexibility... (Of course golf is a sport)... :tu

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/13/John_Daly_at_AmEx_Crop.JPG/250px-John_Daly_at_AmEx_Crop.JPG

NorCal510
08-06-2007, 12:19 PM
golf is a sport, but not a REAL sport

JoeChalupa
08-06-2007, 12:23 PM
golf is a sport, but not a REAL sport

Norcal is a man, but not a REAL man.

johnsmith
08-06-2007, 12:48 PM
To make the PGA cut requires strength, conditioning and flexibility... (Of course golf is a sport)... :tu

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/13/John_Daly_at_AmEx_Crop.JPG/250px-John_Daly_at_AmEx_Crop.JPG

Pictures of every fat assed pitcher in the history of baseball in 3....2......1.....

Fuck, the "Sultan of Swat", and probably most well known baseball player in the history of baseball was a big fat ass.

BeerIsGood!
08-06-2007, 12:52 PM
I tend to side with George Carlin on this issue...

There are only three real sports - football, basketball, and baseball.

Golf is an elitist activity played by space wasting rich individuals

Tennis is ping pong played on the table

Soccer is a giant game of foosball

Boxing is simply beating the shit out of people. If it's not a sport for the police, it's not a sport period.

Hockey is three different activities in one. It's ice skating, playing with a stick and a puck (which is a glorified urinal cake), and beating the shit out of people

Running is not a sport, it's something everyone can do naturally. If you're 90yr old grandmother can do it - not a sport.

Swimming is not a sport. It's a way to keep from drowning.

hater
08-06-2007, 01:16 PM
If golf is a sport then pool and blackjack is a sport

hater
08-06-2007, 01:17 PM
I tend to side with George Carlin on this issue...

There are only three real sports - football, basketball, and baseball.

Golf is an elitist activity played by space wasting rich individuals

Tennis is ping pong played on the table

Boxing is simply beating the shit out of people. If it's not a sport for the police, it's not a sport period.

Hockey is three different activities in one. It's ice skating, playing with a stick and a puck (which is a glorified urinal cake), and beating the shit out of people

Running is not a sport, it's something everyone can do naturally. If you're 90yr old grandmother can do it - not a sport.

Swimming is not a sport. It's a way to keep from drowning.

water polo is cruel to the horses therefore not a sport.

ShoogarBear
08-06-2007, 01:26 PM
:lmao

I'm not a Carlin worshiper, but his best stuff is about the best there is.

Jimcs50
08-06-2007, 02:58 PM
Not a sport...it is a skill.

Anything that a fat, out of shape, heart attack waiting to happen middle aged white man can do while drinking beer and riding in a cart is NOT a sport....I'm sorry.

I, on the other hand, carry my bag while walking the whole course without any beer whatsoever.....now if everyone was like myself, then golf would get more votes for being a sport.

:)

King
08-06-2007, 05:30 PM
sport /spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spawrt, spohrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.

marini martini
08-06-2007, 07:04 PM
for golfers it's not only a sport, but a religion

ShoogarBear
08-06-2007, 07:56 PM
sport /spɔrt, spoʊrt/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[spawrt, spohrt] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–noun
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.:stirpot:

Mr. Dictionary
08-06-2007, 08:01 PM
sport
–noun
1. an athletic activity requiring skill or physical prowess and often of a competitive nature, as racing, baseball, tennis, golf, bowling, wrestling, boxing, hunting, fishing, etc.
2. a particular form of this, esp. in the out of doors.
3. diversion; recreation; pleasant pastime.
4. jest; fun; mirth; pleasantry: What he said in sport was taken seriously.
5. mockery; ridicule; derision: They made sport of him.
6. an object of derision; laughingstock.
7. something treated lightly or tossed about like a plaything.
8. something or someone subject to the whims or vicissitudes of fate, circumstances, etc.
9. a sportsman.
10. Informal. a person who behaves in a sportsmanlike, fair, or admirable manner; an accommodating person: He was a sport and took his defeat well.
11. Informal. a person who is interested in sports as an occasion for gambling; gambler.
12. Informal. a flashy person; one who wears showy clothes, affects smart manners, pursues pleasurable pastimes, or the like; a bon vivant.
13. Biology. an organism or part that shows an unusual or singular deviation from the normal or parent type; mutation.
14. Obsolete. amorous dalliance.
–adjective
15. of, pertaining to, or used in sports or a particular sport.
16. suitable for outdoor or informal wear: sport clothes.
–verb (used without object)
17. to amuse oneself with some pleasant pastime or recreation.
18. to play, frolic, or gambol, as a child or an animal.
19. to engage in some open-air or athletic pastime or sport.
20. to trifle or treat lightly: to sport with another's emotions.
21. to mock, scoff, or tease: to sport at suburban life.
22. Botany. to mutate.
–verb (used with object)
23. to pass (time) in amusement or sport.
24. to spend or squander lightly or recklessly (often fol. by away).
25. Informal. to wear, display, carry, etc., esp. with ostentation; show off: to sport a new mink coat.
26. Archaic. to amuse (esp. oneself).
—Idiom
27. sport one's oak. oak (def. 5).
[Origin: 1350–1400; ME; aph. var. of disport]
-----------------------------------------------
game
–noun
1. an amusement or pastime: children's games.
2. the material or equipment used in playing certain games: a store selling toys and games.
3. a competitive activity involving skill, chance, or endurance on the part of two or more persons who play according to a set of rules, usually for their own amusement or for that of spectators.
4. a single occasion of such an activity, or a definite portion of one: the final game of the season; a rubber of three games at bridge.
5. the number of points required to win a game.
6. the score at a particular stage in a game: With five minutes to play, the game was 7 to 0.
7. a particular manner or style of playing a game: Her game of chess is improving.
8. anything resembling a game, as in requiring skill, endurance, or adherence to rules: the game of diplomacy.
9. a trick or strategy: to see through someone's game.
10. fun; sport of any kind; joke: That's about enough of your games.
11. wild animals, including birds and fishes, such as are hunted for food or taken for sport or profit.
12. the flesh of such wild animals or other game, used as food: a dish of game.
13. any object of pursuit, attack, abuse, etc.: The new boy at school seemed to be fair game for practical jokers.
14. Informal. a business or profession: He's in the real-estate game.
15. Archaic. fighting spirit; pluck.
–adjective
16. pertaining to or composed of animals hunted or taken as game or to their flesh.
17. having a fighting spirit; plucky.
18. Informal. having the required spirit or will (often fol. by for or an infinitive): Who's game for a hike through the woods?
19. to play games of chance for stakes; gamble.
–verb (used with object)
20. to squander in gaming (usually fol. by away).
—Idioms
21. die game,
a. to die after a brave struggle.
b. to remain steadfast or in good spirits at the moment of defeat: He knew that as a candidate he didn't have a chance in the world, but he campaigned anyway and died game.
22. make game of, to make fun of; ridicule: to make game of the weak and defenseless.
23. play games, to act in an evasive, deceitful, manipulative, or trifling manner in dealing with others: Don't play games with me—I want to know if you love me or not!
24. play the game, Informal.
a. to act or play in accordance with the rules.
b. to act honorably or justly: We naively assumed that our allies would continue to play the game.
[Origin: bef. 1000; ME gamen, OE gaman; c. OHG gaman glee]
------------------------------------------------------------
golf
–noun
1. a game in which clubs with wooden or metal heads are used to hit a small, white ball into a number of holes, usually 9 or 18, in succession, situated at various distances over a course having natural or artificial obstacles, the object being to get the ball into each hole in as few strokes as possible.
2. a word used in communications to represent the letter G.
3. to play golf.
[Origin: 1425–75; late ME; of uncert. orig.]

Mr. Dictionary
08-06-2007, 08:02 PM
wrestling

noun
1. the act of engaging in close hand-to-hand combat; "they had a fierce wrestle"; "we watched his grappling and wrestling with the bully" [syn: wrestle]
2. the sport of hand-to-hand struggle between unarmed contestants who try to throw each other down

Avitus1
08-06-2007, 08:57 PM
Yes its a sport just very boring to watch....

dallaskd
08-06-2007, 09:12 PM
yes, now stop the "is it a sport threads"..

marini martini
08-06-2007, 09:21 PM
:worthy: :angel In the name of the father, the son and the holy Tiger, amen

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-06-2007, 10:29 PM
If golf is a sport then pool and blackjack is a sport

Dumb analogy. Try playing a round of golf if you've never played before and tell me you're not sore all over the next day.

Blackjack and pool have no physical strength/endurance element. Golf is actually physically demanding, even though occasionally someone like John Daly can get away with playing at a high level while overweight. While he has a gut, Daly is probably pretty strong across the torso.

TheSanityAnnex
08-06-2007, 10:34 PM

Anything that a fat, out of shape, heart attack waiting to happen middle aged white man can do while drinking beer and riding in a cart is NOT a sport....I'm sorry.

So then all the fat, out of shape, heart attack waiting to happen middle aged white men throwing a ball and attempting to hit it with a bat at their company picnic are not playing a sport?

leemajors
08-06-2007, 10:36 PM
Dumb analogy. Try playing a round of golf if you've never played before and tell me you're not sore all over the next day.

Blackjack and pool have no physical strength/endurance element. Golf is actually physically demanding, even though occasionally someone like John Daly can get away with playing at a high level while overweight. While he has a gut, Daly is probably pretty strong across the torso.
this is the same dude that thinks you need a horse to play water polo.

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-06-2007, 10:43 PM
this is the same dude that thinks you need a horse to play water polo.

WTF???

I never said anything about horses or water polo in my entire time on ST.

You're thinking of someone else.

:wtf

Actually, my comment is based on personal experience and on observing what golf has done to my father's body over 40 years - worn it down. Feet, ankles, knees, hips, shoulders, spine all take a pounding from the twisting motion.

Why are all you randoms targeting me with bullshit at the moment?

leemajors
08-06-2007, 10:46 PM
WTF???

I never said anything about horses or water polo in my entire time on ST.

You're thinking of someone else.

:wtf

Actually, my comment is based on personal experience and on observing what golf has done to my father's body over 40 years - worn it down. Feet, ankles, knees, hips, shoulders, spine all take a pounding from the twisting motion.

Why are all you randoms targeting me with bullshit at the moment?
i was quoting you quoting hater.

water polo is cruel to the horses therefore not a sport.

i can't believe no one said anything about the level of stupidity he displayed here.

Switchman
08-06-2007, 10:47 PM
No No No.

Is fishing a sport?

RuffnReadyOzStyle
08-06-2007, 10:48 PM
i was quoting you quoting hater.

i can't believe no one said anything about the level of stupidity he displayed here.

Apologies - one of the problems of the layered quotes not showing up.

I think the Trolls have made me paranoid! :lol

leemajors
08-06-2007, 10:49 PM
No No No.

Is fishing a sport?
could you make a more irrelevant analogy?

leemajors
08-06-2007, 10:49 PM
Apologies - one of the problems of the layered quotes not showing up.

I think the Trolls have made me paranoid! :lol
i would imagine he's totally unaware water polo is just humans, a net, and a ball in a pool.

Switchman
08-06-2007, 11:18 PM
could you make a more irrelevant analogy?

Apparently, everyone has a different definition of what a sport is...

So not really.

StoneCutter
08-07-2007, 03:48 AM
Here's what my roomie and I figured out one night in college. Sports are activities like football, soccer, basketball, tennis, boxing...your opponent is on the same playing surface and actively trying to stop you from scoring. Then you have your races...doesn't matter if you are on foot, in a boat, or being pulled by dogs. A race is a race. Finally, we have competitions. In a competition one player/team performs an activity while the opponent waits. When the first person is done, the next person takes their turn. Their scores are compared to get a winner. Horseshoes, archery, and golf are competitions. If something isn't a sport that isn't an insult. Doing a triathlon or playing golf are incredibly difficult to do well...they just aren't a sport the way I classify physical activities.

to21
08-07-2007, 07:50 AM
If it comes on the The Ocho, then it's a sport dammit!

xrayzebra
08-07-2007, 07:59 AM

I, on the other hand, carry my bag while walking the whole course without any beer whatsoever.....now if everyone was like myself, then golf would get more votes for being a sport.

:)

Hey Jim, wonder if Sabatinni thinks it is a sport after
Tiger clean his clock Sunday. Sad.
:drunk

Also, miss the golf stories about 160 yard birdies....
Seems like all I get anymore are buzzards....LOL