PDA

View Full Version : FIBA and International BB forum

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-07-2007, 01:06 PM
I'm pretty uninformed about FIBA, the Euro leagues and most international basketball players, rumors and general goings on. I'm really interested in learning more, especially since international players have been so important to the accomplishments of the Spurs, their integration into the NBA and their ascendance in the basketball world.

Would any of you other posters be interested if a FIBA & International basketball forum was to be set up on Spurs Talk. I think it would be terrific to get not only international Spurs fans but international BB fans in general to post here. I think alot of these foreign posters would bring alot of informed, insightful dialogue to this board

And since this is my favorite Spurs fan forum I think it would be cool to kill two birds with one stone.

Attached is some interesting news about the 2007 FIBA U19 World Championships. (hint) the USA did not win again.

http://www.serbia2007.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/07/fiba/u19men/news/lateNews/p/newsid/20818/FE_news_lateNews_arti.html

urunobili
08-07-2007, 01:53 PM
Hey Buddy!
i will be happy to keep you up to date with South American basketball and their national teams + south American league (south's Euroleague) and Argentinean League... great idea!
if you don;t get additional help for the European ones i may be able to add a little about Euroleague and the best European associations...

to begin with... Argenitna National Team defeated Uruguay yesterday night with Delfino scoring 26 points... Scola scored 8 and 8... Hawk's Batista from Uruguay scored 16-11... this is for the "Super 4" tournament being played in Santa Fe State there... also Canada B and Spain C teams are playing this friendly tournament...

AnotherArgie
08-07-2007, 02:02 PM
The Argentinean team lacked of big men. It generally sucked in the paint, was painfull to see at times.

However, the guys I liked:

Sebastián Vega (http://www.serbia2007.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/07/fiba/u19men/teamPlay/play/p/competitioncode//eventid/3955/langlc/en/playernumber/53941/roundid/3955/searchstr//season//teamnumber/237/fe_teamPlay_playStat.html) : 6'7" SF. He's not outstading phisically, but I was surprised to see how smart and high BBIQ he has, even with 19yo. Something like Oberto, always reading the play without the ball. He might be a good team player.

Diego Gerbaudo (http://www.serbia2007.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/07/fiba/u19men/teamPlay/play/p/competitioncode//eventid/3955/langlc/en/playernumber/51079/roundid/3955/searchstr//season//teamnumber/237/fe_teamPlay_playStat.html) : 5'11" PG. This is a typical FIBA first-pass guard. Good court vision, good shot selection.

Nicolás de los Santos (http://www.serbia2007.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/07/fiba/u19men/teamPlay/play/p/competitioncode//eventid/3955/langlc/en/playernumber/53930/roundid/3955/searchstr//season//teamnumber/237/fe_teamPlay_playStat.html) : 6'0" SG. He's small for a SG indeed, but can play PG and he's actually a more NBA-type PG.

And that's it.

AnotherArgie
08-07-2007, 02:18 PM
Another great prospect is Australia's Andrew Ogilvy (http://www.serbia2007.fiba.com/pages/eng/fe/07/fiba/u19men/teamPlay/play/p/competitioncode//eventid/3955/langlc/en/playernumber/61499/roundid/3955/searchstr//season//teamnumber/239/fe_teamPlay_playStat.html), a 6'11" C. I wish we had a center like that :cry

alamo50
08-07-2007, 04:36 PM
The Argentinean team lacked of big men. It generally sucked in the paint, was painfull to see at times.

Don't worry, the next big thing coming out of Argentina in a couple of years will be 6"3 PG/SG Matias Nocedal. He's just 17 right now, but is already being compared to Gilbert Arenas.

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-07-2007, 05:02 PM
Cool guys, thanks for the info. I saw a little bit of Gerbaudo when Argentina played France on NBA TV highlights. Very composed, looks taller then 5' 11" but slight of frame. I notice that he is currently on Real Madrid roster. Nicolas De Los Santos had a pretty impressive tournament with some nice numbers. They are all very young, but who do you think is most NBA ready?

Ruben Wolkowyski, Carlos Delfino, Andres Nocioni, Leonardo Gutierrez, Luis Scola, Hugo Sconochini, Gabriel Fernandez, Walter Herrmann, Fabricio, Alejandro Montecchia, Manu and Juan Ignacio Sánchez - did any of the senior team play for the under 19 championship?

Very dissappointed in Argentina's low finish. Also in Team USA losing to Serbia in the gold medal game, especially since they had beaten them earlier in preliminary rounds. But it was on Serbia's home court, so that helps.

Wow, Andrew Ogilvy from Austrailia averaged 23 and 10. Very impressive for an 18 yr center. For you big 12 fans, Michael Beasley, committed to KSU and who is ranked #1 by Rivals, along with the #8 rated player DeAndre Jordan, committed to Texas A&M played as well for Team USA. And for you UT fans Dogus Balbay played for Turkey. He averaged 12.4 points 5.8 rebounds and 3.3 asst per game. That's promising for Longhorn fans because of the 3 players in the Rivals 150 committed to UT it's looking like Gary Johnson may not play this year because of medical conditions.

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-07-2007, 05:10 PM
Pablo Orlietti 6'9" and Federico Aguerre 6'8" where the jr teams tallest players and only Aguerre played well. I understand the frustration AA.

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-07-2007, 05:33 PM
Question: I know that FIBA is the governing body of the international competitons, but are they also the governing body of the professional sports teams in the Euro League? Do they govern all professional sports teams in Europe, Asia, Pacific Rim and South America? I'm talking atleast of the basketball teams.

flowman1234
08-07-2007, 10:29 PM
does anyone know what channel its going to be on

Marcus Bryant
08-07-2007, 10:35 PM
How about such a forum for ST.com?

Bruno
08-08-2007, 08:22 AM
IMO, there isn't enough interest about international BB to create a forum for that.
A couple of threads in the "NBA News Central" forum should be enough.
Last year, there were a small euroleague thread and there are some thread about BB about NT competitions. You have too thread about Slovenian BB featuring angel_luv. :)
Saying that, Kori does what she wants with her message boards.

Question: I know that FIBA is the governing body of the international competitons, but are they also the governing body of the professional sports teams in the Euro League? Do they govern all professional sports teams in Europe, Asia, Pacific Rim and South America? I'm talking atleast of the basketball teams.

In Europe, FIBA mainly manages NT events (world championship, continental championship, youth NT competitions).

Domestic leagues are managed by domestic organization. For example, the French league is managed by a French organization, the LNB.

The two biggest European competitions (Euroleague and the Ulebcup) between European teams (and not between country) are managed by the ULEB. The ULEB has been created by national BB federations to manage European competitions. ULEB is in war with FIBA.

FIBA manages too a minor European competition called the Eurocup. Teams playing in the Eurocup aren't as good as in the Euroleague and Ulebcup. The Eurocup competition has too the goal to develop BB in small countries while the ULEB competitions are more money oriented.

Demo Dick Marcinko
08-08-2007, 09:07 AM
IMO, there isn't enough interest about international BB to create a forum for that.
A couple of threads in the "NBA News Central" forum should be enough.
Last year, there were a small euroleague thread and there are some thread about BB about NT competitions. You have too thread about Slovenian BB featuring angel_luv. :)
Saying that, Kori does what she wants with her message boards.

In Europe, FIBA mainly manages NT events (world championship, continental championship, youth NT competitions).

Domestic leagues are managed by domestic organization. For example, the French league is managed by a French organization, the LNB.

The two biggest European competitions (Euroleague and the Ulebcup) between European teams (and not between country) are managed by the ULEB. The ULEB has been created by national BB federations to manage European competitions. ULEB is in war with FIBA.

FIBA manages too a minor European competition called the Eurocup. Teams playing in the Eurocup aren't as good as in the Euroleague and Ulebcup. The Eurocup competition has too the goal to develop BB in small countries while the ULEB competitions are more money oriented.

Appreciate the info Bruno. I think I'm starting to grasp the way FIBA Euro BB is organized. Governing bodies for the French team is LNB; Spanish team ACB, Italian team SerieA, etc. I always thought that ULEB was affiliated with FIBA and was their version of the NBA's NBDL. I didn't know that FIBA and ULEB were two separate bodies with no affiliation.

You're probably right regarding the interest level regarding international play at this time. But I bet as more and more international players come to play in the NBA you will see an increase in traffic from foreign fans and even from the domestic fans such as myself.

Part of the intrigue to me is to speculate how international competition between foreign teams and the NBA teams and NBA players will evolve into.

urunobili
08-08-2007, 10:11 AM
Argentina won the Super 4 championship yesterday to Spain B team. they trailed almost all game but turned it on on the last minutes of the third and dominated the fourth quarter...
http://www.lanacion.com.ar/EdicionImpresa/deportiva/nota.asp?nota_id=932744

Uruguay won the third place defeating Canada 83-79 with a monster game by atlanta Hawk's Batista 30 pts
http://www.futbol.com.uy/noticiab_15930_1.html